HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 3:55 PM

Anyone have any word on the proposed office buildings along 285 that was revealed in the ABC a few weeks ago? I don't have the subscription to the newspaper, so if anyone has one that would be cool if they posted the article here. Thanks.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 6:40 AM
I've been around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Claimore View Post
Transforming this will take time and political will to change zoning codes in the area that most likely provide for outrageous minimum parking requirements.
Although I agree the parking lot is a pain, I wouldn't say it has too many spaces. Especially when they reserve all that space for valet. I'd like to see some underground parking between the mall and the pedestrian bridge. Considering Jonquil Plaza in Smyrna is getting underground parking, I don't see why a mall like Cumberland can't do the same.

I like the extension idea you had. If they did underground parking, they could probably extend the mall with little more than a pedestrian over or under-pass across the valet entrance to the restaurants. I'd also like to see that extension have some residential in it.

Another parking lot sprawl is the mall with Circuit City kitty-corner to Cumberland across Aker's Mill. I have no idea with the kind of real estate they are sitting on why they don't multi-level the parking and do some mixed-used development in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainless View Post
Anyone have any word on the proposed office buildings along 285 that was revealed in the ABC a few weeks ago? I don't have the subscription to the newspaper, so if anyone has one that would be cool if they posted the article here. Thanks.
I discussed it earlier in this thread. Quote of what I put in the Cumberland Wikipedia article earlier this year:
* Two mid-rise towers overlooking I-75 by Grove Street Partners LLC just south of the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre. One 18 and one 15 floor tower are approved by Cobb County.
* Phase 2 of Overton Park owned by Hines Interests and being developed by Madison Retail LLC to add 60 condominium units and retail shops.
* Crescent Ridge: 20-story office building and plaza on Cumberland Blvd next to the highway
http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...7/focus21.html
http://www.hines.com/property/detail.aspx?id=141
http://www.costar.com/FreeSearch/Det...CAEA9868B159BC
http://www.crescent-resources.com/co...e/siteplan.asp

Old Posted Jun 27, 2008, 2:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpainless View Post
I think this is what you referring to. I posted it a week ago on the Atlanta Compilation Thread.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 4:37 AM
I've been around

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabydaddyATL View Post
I think this is what you referring to. I posted it a week ago on the Atlanta Compilation Thread.

Interesting... Another one?!?! I added 2555 Cumberland to the Wikipedia article.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 4:41 AM

cumberland liveable?

With plenty of Alcohol everywhere in Atlanta is liveable... without though we're all better off moving...

Sorry, but that's reality.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2008, 1:43 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilexpert View Post
cumberland liveable?

With plenty of Alcohol everywhere in Atlanta is liveable... without though we're all better off moving...

Sorry, but that's reality.
Ah, you are always so right! An area can never change to become something better, or more livable, or more interesting - why should we even entertain the possibility, let alone talk about how it might happen?

After all, the Dutch had the same mentality about this stupid, unsustainable island (look at how wide the streets are!), and look where it got them:

(lower Manhattan, 1660)

(lower Manhattan, 2006)

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
I discussed it earlier in this thread. Quote of what I put in the Cumberland Wikipedia article earlier this year:
* Two mid-rise towers overlooking I-75 by Grove Street Partners LLC just south of the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre. One 18 and one 15 floor tower are approved by Cobb County.
* Phase 2 of Overton Park owned by Hines Interests and being developed by Madison Retail LLC to add 60 condominium units and retail shops.
* Crescent Ridge: 20-story office building and plaza on Cumberland Blvd next to the highway
http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...7/focus21.html
http://www.hines.com/property/detail.aspx?id=141
http://www.costar.com/FreeSearch/Det...CAEA9868B159BC
http://www.crescent-resources.com/co...e/siteplan.asp
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabydaddyATL View Post
Thanks guys.

Wow... I was reading on the Wikipedia page about the $8.7 million deal to redevelop the Men's Warehouse corner. I really hope they do something that will connect with the street. That piece of land is HUGE in terms of importance. If done right, it could serve as the centerpiece of redevelopment efforts in the entire market. If Cumberland wants to create its own identity and really play with the big boys, it needs to provide a good pedestrian experience. I'm glad that transportation is high on its priority list. I think Cumberland has the best road network to handle future development out of all of the other suburban markets.

Last edited by oldpainless; Jul 2, 2008 at 4:48 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 2:34 PM

Atlanta becomes travel info hub

Earlier this year, New Jersey-based Travelport picked Atlanta for its North American global distribution system (GDS) headquarters. The company expects to add up to 300 jobs and invest $33 million in the area.

Travelport provides automated travel reservations for airlines, hotels, car rental companies, cruise lines and rail operators, with service to travel agencies in more than 145 countries. It also runs most of the internal reservations and related systems used by carriers such as Delta Air Lines Inc.

Travelport will move Web and database servers for its Galileo and Apollo reservation systems from Denver to Atlanta by year’s end, spokeswoman Jill Brenner said.

“We anticipate that over the next five years, we are likely to create several hundred new positions in Atlanta.”

Travelport bought Atlanta-based Worldspan in August 2007 and has made the former Worldspan location in Cobb County — at 300 Galleria Parkway — its North American GDS headquarters. With annual revenue of about $2.6 billion, Travelport employs about 6,000 globally, including 635 locally.

The headquarters move helps put Atlanta on the map as a technology-focused city, Harteveldt said, because Travelport is one of the top three travel technology firms in the world.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2008, 8:51 PM
I've been around

There's a new 4-story office building planned on S. Cobb Drive in Smyrna near 285 right across from where Oakdale Rd and Church/Plant Atkinson comes in from Vinings.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2008, 6:10 AM
I've been around

For those who haven't been paying attention, the Aberdeen is halfway built, and the area around it has already filled in a lot more with Vinings Main being just about completed.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 7:53 AM
I've been around

A new article about the flurry of real estate deals in Cumberland/Galleria:

https://www.costar.com/news/Article....5BBC0346B6E7A2

Quote:
With relatively newfound constraints and quality office properties, is Cumberland/Galleria metro Atlanta's leading value-added and/or opportunity play with a few notable core exceptions? While real estate professionals tend to be optimists anyway, that seems to be the prevailing wisdom.
Quote:
Cobb County's lower taxes and access to the airport and areas rich with executive housing have always made the area attractive to developers, but Cumberland/Galleria's retail development and redevelopment -- Cumberland Mall serving as the prime example -- and an expanding residential base in the area with new, high-end condo development should benefit office investors as well.

"The interesting stories right now are all the residential and retail changes in the area, and, long term, that will make the office buildings more valuable," said Kris Miller, president of Ackerman & Co., which acquired Powers Point Phase One last year and has another building in the area under contract.
Another (about Cobb County with a big Cumberland section):
http://www.georgiatrend.com/our-state/01_09_cobb.shtml

Last edited by netdragon; Jan 25, 2009 at 8:23 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta