HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 8:01 PM

Waste Management Metro Van

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouv...cinerator.html

http://www.vancouversun.com/technolo...525/story.html

Apparently, Cache Creek Landfill is potentially to be closed up- meaning there is no place to put "overflow" trash.

Perhaps it's time to revive the incinerator? The incinerator needs at least 200,000 mT of trash to run, and the Delta landfill already gets 400,000 mT to trash- it would free up capacity.

Or build one of these things.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materi...overy_facility

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 8:33 PM

Yeah, I could see them reviving plans for a new incinerator - it's just the environmentalists and the Fraser Valley residents that object.

The Burnaby incinerator has been operating for many years without many issues.

The main problem with sinking a lot of money into a new large facility is that the recycling initiatives have reduced the amount of garbage actually available for burning.
But I don't see why they can't build a smaller scalable incinerator facility that can be expanded if needed.

WRT the Vancouver Landfill in Burns Bog, the City of Vancouver owns that and it's unlikely that it would pay higher tipping fees to dispose of CoV garbage at a regional garbage incinerator, even if it is better from an environmental perspective than landfilling in Burns Bog - at least until Burns Bog fills up.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Yeah, I could see them reviving plans for a new incinerator - it's just the environmentalists and the Fraser Valley residents that object.

The main problem with sinking a lot of money into a new large facility is that the recycling initiatives have reduced the amount of garbage actually available for burning.
But I don't see why they can't build a smaller scalable incinerator facility that can be expanded if needed.

WRT the Vancouver Landfill in Burns Bog, the City of Vancouver owns that and it's unlikely that it would pay higher tipping fees to dispose of CoV garbage at a regional garbage incinerator, even if it is better from an environmental perspective than landfilling in Burns Bog - at least until Burns Bog fills up.
And then they expand it again...

They should build a dirty sorting facility next to the landfill to reduce waste.

And there were 2 potential locations of the landfill- I would assume one was on the landfill property.

There was even one proposal to put it on the sunshine coast.

Metro Van also had a area in Cloverdale they proposed to put the landfill. If all fails, they could buy land in South East Langley, outside the ALR.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 2:10 AM

If they run low on garbage, couldn't they get paid to burn some other district's garbage?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 7:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
If they run low on garbage, couldn't they get paid to burn some other district's garbage?
Probably, but then how could you justify building it to the people if it's not really needed?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post

Vancouver Landfill has upgrade parts of its infrastructure to allow incinerator. They already sell methane.

As for the existing incinerator is it only Burnaby municipal or also commercial.

Cache creek is a private dump and owned by Wastech. Their contract with metro is expiring. So a new vendor has contract and the transfer site in Coquitlam will be moving is what i heard

Old Posted Jan 29, 2017, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredinno View Post
And then they expand it again...

They should build a dirty sorting facility next to the landfill to reduce waste.

And there were 2 potential locations of the landfill- I would assume one was on the landfill property.

There was even one proposal to put it on the sunshine coast.

Metro Van also had a area in Cloverdale they proposed to put the landfill. If all fails, they could buy land in South East Langley, outside the ALR.
Gold river was looking to convert boilers to garbage and then sell power as mill is shuttered i believe. There was a plan to barge it in from down south and barge back aggrigate

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
Gold river was looking to convert boilers to garbage and then sell power as mill is shuttered i believe. There was a plan to barge it in from down south and barge back aggrigate
Source?

Quote:
Vancouver Landfill has upgrade parts of its infrastructure to allow incinerator. They already sell methane.

As for the existing incinerator is it only Burnaby municipal or also commercial.

Cache creek is a private dump and owned by Wastech. Their contract with metro is expiring. So a new vendor has contract and the transfer site in Coquitlam will be moving is what i heard
"Has to"
or "Has done"?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 6:34 PM

Quote:
So a new vendor has contract and the transfer site in Coquitlam will be moving is what i heard
When did you hear this? When the BC MoTI plans for the Brunette Interchange came out they had an onramp right through where the Coquitlam transfer site would be. According to a well-connected friend of mine, this was a surprise to the people that were designing and planning that Coquitlam transfer station, it's still going ahead as far as they're concerned.

This was a couple of months ago so maybe something's changed, but the news that the Cache Creek contract was expiring wouldn't have been a surprise to anybody and they would have planned for that with their current Coquitlam plans.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 4:21 AM

On another waste related matter - composting facility in Richmond:

Engineers, Harvest Power differ on source of odour
Energy garden has been "shut down" but engineers think it should be fully operational
http://www.richmond-news.com/news/en...dour-1.9713233

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroundtheworld View Post
Like in Sim City

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure