HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Pic by me May 28th - low branches still encroaching on the bike path:

So?

You just mirrored what exists on most sidewalks I can think of in Downtown South, Fairview.... and God forbid they ever get trimmed for pedestrians.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 11:06 PM

Genauso's response that I quoted was in response to my post in the Downtown thread a couple months ago that the City did, in fact, trim off all the lower branches of the sidewalk trees along Smithe next to Symphony Place Dolce & Vita which were constraining the sidewalk space.
This is a follow-up that the City hasn't trimmed these trees yet (also on Smithe).
The City usually does trim back the lower branches of sidewalk trees - they did in front of Telus Garden on Georgia too.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2017, 8:36 PM

Island Park Walk SFC Seawall Improvements - Anderson St to The Castings

I've been eager to go visit the newly reopened portion of the seawall, and finally made the time to do so yesterday. My photos from June 3rd, 2017

The start of my walk is also the only portion clearly left half done. It's important to note that the asphalt on the pedestrian side will be replaced with paving tiles, and that the cherry trees will be replanted in the fall.

I was somewhat surprised there was no improvement to the dock portion of the seawall.

This corner used to be a real cluster, however people are now moving around it a bit faster, yet still far safer than before. Also note the change in the seating area.

The retaining wall here feels like it really completes the area, as if it was a missing element all these years.

The first of several now marked intersections, with new lighting.

The city has done a whole bunch of replanting. While I'm sure it will be underwhelming in the short term, the area should bounce back nicely.

Perhaps my favorite improvement.

This previously tight intersection is now a great spot to recharage. With benches, drinking fountain, waste disposal bin, and plenty of new flower beds.

Perhaps the only non-widened area, I assume it was due to a desire to save the tree.

The grass at this intersection still has yet to make a comeback.

I really appreciate the time the city spent on the new stonework/retaining wall and steps to the building's private patios.

There's now a nice indication of the separation of paths. Note the sewage truck near the pump station as part of the clean up effort for the sink hole.

At the end of the improvement area a storm fallen tree has been turned into a nurse log.

I was thrilled to see the pond back to it's usual shape, with plenty of goslings and ducklings to be found.

I'm really happy to see how spot on the improvements to this portion of the sea wall are. The walking path is great; in areas where one could barely walk two a breast, there's now space for at least four people. The cycling lane feels more safe, especially on the turns. While I do have some concerns with how the plants will grow back, it's clear the previous overgrowth had to be removed.

In short, the overall experience has been greatly enhanced. Construction has paused for the summer months, but the finishing touches will resume in the fall. Hopefully the other sections go just as well, as this is a great bit of polish for one of Vancouver's key jewels.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
I've been eager to go visit the newly reopened portion of the seawall, and finally made the time to do so yesterday. My photos from June 3rd, 2017
Great photos, thanks for the update!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 2:18 AM

Yes, great update and photos. Thanks!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 8:08 PM

Thanks for the update!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2017, 9:58 PM
Vancouver Moderator

Wow what a change. Need some more reminder indicators on all floors, but this will be much better and safer!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2017, 11:13 PM

The Point Grey Road upgrades look to be almost finished. Nice lighting, wider sidewalk. Seems nice to me. Finally some new, smooth pavement to ride on
My evening pic July 30:

Old Posted Aug 1, 2017, 11:05 PM

Thanks.
The ornamental lamp looks so out of place next to the wooden hydro poles.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Thanks.
The ornamental lamp looks so out of place next to the wooden hydro poles.
well the residents had the opportunity to get the hydro utilities placed underground, i guess they decided against it. it would have been ~ $1 million per block or about ~$50 thousand per-household.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 5:55 AM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
well the residents had the opportunity to get the hydro utilities placed underground, i guess they decided against it. it would have been ~ $1 million per block or about ~$50 thousand per-household.
I like how replacing the 3rd world power grid infrastructure is somehow residents "choice"...While everything else is not...

Old Posted Aug 2, 2017, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
I like how replacing the 3rd world power grid infrastructure is somehow residents "choice"...While everything else is not...
I can appreciate the sentiment, but on the other hand the more money the City spends on this kind of project the more flack they come under from people looking for ways to criticize it.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
I can appreciate the sentiment, but on the other hand the more money the City spends on this kind of project the more flack they come under from people looking for ways to criticize it.
exactly. imagine the headlines "Vancouver's golden mile gets underground utilities paid for by taxpayers"

just like how some people go on about Canada-Line being underground compared to the Expo-Line; same thing would be happening with this.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 6:36 AM

Grandview Cut Cycling Bridge - Metro North Transmission Project

Quote:
Grandview Cut cycling & walking bridge pop-up events

Saturday, August 26, 11:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Tuesday, August 29, 4:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
We will be at the northeast corner of Woodland Drive and N. Grandview Highway on the above dates to share information on the design of the new dedicated walking and cycling bridge proposed to cross the Cut from North Grandview Highway to East 6th Avenue at McLean Drive.

The bridge is designed to improve connections for those using the Central Valley Greenway and house a new transmission cable, suspended underneath the structure, as part of the Metro North Transmission Project.

Come by to learn about more about the proposed bridge and let us knoww what you think about the design.

I'll admit, I'm somewhat surprised they're not using one of the existing crossings, or even the proposed Commercial Drive plaza for this cable. I do have high hopes for this bridge, and would love to see something akin to the Tynehead Greenway Overpass.

Project website:
https://www.bchydro.com/energy-in-bc/projects/mnt.html

Thanks to UrbanYVR for making me aware of this:
http://urbanyvr.com/grandview-cut-br...alley-greenway

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 8:29 AM

Quote:
I'll admit, I'm somewhat surprised they're not using one of the existing crossings, or even the proposed Commercial Drive plaza for this cable. I do have high hopes for this bridge, and would love to see something akin to the Tynehead Greenway Overpass.

Project website:
https://www.bchydro.com/energy-in-bc/projects/mnt.html

Thanks to UrbanYVR for making me aware of this:
http://urbanyvr.com/grandview-cut-br...alley-greenway
I got a major concern about that. With the increased threat of terrorism, having major transportation infrastructure and important utilities combined would be a pretty tempting target.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cganuelas1995 View Post
I got a major concern about that. With the increased threat of terrorism, having major transportation infrastructure and important utilities combined would be a pretty tempting target.
Are you for real?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Are you for real?
I read something in Wired about having power transmission lines go alongside rapid rail lines. It read something along the lines of power transmission and mass transit together being a tempting target for terrorism.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2017, 4:05 PM

The new pedestrian and cycling bridge would cross the Grandview Cut, from North Grandview Highway to East 6th Avenue at McLean Drive. Credit: BC Hydro

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 6:07 AM

New Bike routes - 14th Avenue (Ontario to Alder) + Interim Alder St (14th Ave to 7th)

I received this in the mail, and thought I would share the upcoming changes to the cycling network.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2017, 2:24 PM

Quote:
I received this in the mail, and thought I would share the upcoming changes to the cycling network.
Thanks for passing that along. It makes sense - I live in SE Vancouver and I already use 14th and Laurel to access the hospital district because it's flatter and less congested than 10th, and because 14th already has a cyclist-activated signal to get across Cambie. All they need to do to implement this is probably to put up a few signs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure