HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Based on options for Broadway Corridor Study, what is your preferred choice?
BRT: Commercial to UBC 18 5.42%
LRT A: Commercial to UBC OR Commercial via VCC to UBC 26 7.83%
LRT B: Main St. to UBC AND Commercial to UBC 14 4.22%
RRT: Commercial to UBC OR VCC to UBC 228 68.67%
COMBO: RRT to Arbutus/LRT to Main St via Arbutus 36 10.84%
BUS: Enhanced Bus Service for all buses to UBC 10 3.01%
Voters: 332. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 8:44 PM

Is the GNW station location flexible at this point? The map seems to put it at about the Centre for Digital Media, maybe Earl Finning Way?

I was hoping it would be closer to 1st and Thornton, a little more accessible for the population in the area (also I'm selfish).

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Is the GNW station location flexible at this point? The map seems to put it at about the Centre for Digital Media, maybe Earl Finning Way?

I was hoping it would be closer to 1st and Thornton, a little more accessible for the population in the area (also I'm selfish).
All the plans I've seen indicate the station will be underground at the intersection of Great Northern Way and Thornton St. The western half of the campus lands have a hold on all development until after the SkyTrain extension is built.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
All the plans I've seen indicate the station will be underground at the intersection of Great Northern Way and Thornton St. The western half of the campus lands have a hold on all development until after the SkyTrain extension is built.
That makes sense, thanks.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 7:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I find this kind of thing to be mostly self serving BS about engaging people when they should have enough common sense to build a station that doesn't "suck". I didn't read the post-it notes so maybe there are some great ideas.
Sometimes it actually is constructive. "Current manholes are slippery when wet." "Buses get stuck in snow climbing Arbutus Ridge, plan accordingly." "Add designated standing areas on the floors to improve in/out commuter flow on the platform."

Oh, and the Engineering reps said that all of Broadway's utilities were put on West 10th to make way for the (former) streetcar. Sorry logan, jlousa, etc, looks like cut 'n cover on 10th isn't an option.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 1:46 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Interesting news about them moving the utilities I don't recall the work taking place nor does Vanmaps seem to reflect that but I'm going to assume the engineers know better. I'm content that not going along 10th is being done for a logical reason and not a political one then.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
......."

Oh, and the Engineering reps said that all of Broadway's utilities were put on West 10th to make way for the (former) streetcar. Sorry logan, jlousa, etc, looks like cut 'n cover on 10th isn't an option.
Yes the telephone (and cable vision???) cables are under 10th (all the way from Main to UBC I believe) and have been there since before world war 2. Not sure if its because of the street cars or simply because the telco offices are all on 10th and it is a straight line for them. There are other locations in the city that have old telephone cable routes that were origonally under street car routes.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2017, 12:06 AM
loafing in lotusland

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTDGT View Post
Yes the telephone (and cable vision???) cables are under 10th (all the way from Main to UBC I believe) and have been there since before world war 2. Not sure if its because of the street cars or simply because the telco offices are all on 10th and it is a straight line for them. There are other locations in the city that have old telephone cable routes that were originally under street car routes.
If you cut into a water pipe... you might inconvenience a few people as they can't get drinking water until the pipe's fixed.

If you cut into a cable, phones, and Fiber... civilization as we know it would grind to a halt as the internet would no longer be easily accessed.

No water... minor inconvenience.
No internet... civilization ending catastrophe.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 6:19 PM

when will horgan ndp announce the full extension to ubc?

after the lng royalty cheques start rolling in ?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
after the lng royalty cheques start rolling in ?
Better question is when that will be.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMTDGT View Post
Yes the telephone (and cable vision???) cables are under 10th (all the way from Main to UBC I believe) and have been there since before world war 2.
I'm not disputing your assertion that utilities are buried under 10th Ave. But perhaps both telephone & cable vision "since before WW2" may be incorrect.

Into the early 1970's, then old BC Tel utility poles still traversed many major Van City proper thoroughfares or adjacent/parallel streets/back alleys akin to the following (give or take a few crossbars):

Hell, into the 1970's many Van City proper homes still had "party lines" - an ancient form of landline. IIRC, then BC Tel did not bury their lines until the 1970's at the earliest.

As for cable-vision, that didn't really come along until the 1960's. The first Vancouver TV station opened up circa 1953 - CBC. A television, during the 1950's, was still considered a luxury for many. TV's back then either had "rabbit ears" on top of same or a roof-mounted antenna.

By, September, 1964, roughly 25% of Van City proper had cable vision coverage with continued expansion in progress:

Cable-vision, back then, included "All 7 TV channels".

In any event, looks like Broadway will be where the boring machine will eventually be set up - as opposed to 10th Ave as a result of utility location.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
I'm not disputing your assertion that utilities are buried under 10th Ave. But perhaps both telephone & cable vision "since before WW2" may be incorrect.

Into the early 1970's, then old BC Tel utility poles still traversed many major Van City proper thoroughfares or adjacent/parallel streets/back alleys akin to the following (give or take a few crossbars):

<snip>

Hell, into the 1970's many Van City proper homes still had "party lines" - an ancient form of landline. IIRC, then BC Tel did not bury their lines until the 1970's at the earliest.

As for cable-vision, that didn't really come along until the 1960's. The first Vancouver TV station opened up circa 1953 - CBC. A television, during the 1950's, was still considered a luxury for many. TV's back then either had "rabbit ears" on top of same or a roof-mounted antenna.

By, September, 1964, roughly 25% of Van City proper had cable vision coverage with continued expansion in progress:

<snip>

Cable-vision, back then, included "All 7 TV channels".

In any event, looks like Broadway will be where the boring machine will eventually be set up - as opposed to 10th Ave as a result of utility location.
the tbm should be started at the portal to the tunnel. just like olympic station started out as the tbm launch box and portals, so might the gnw campus station be a place to build the tbm launch box and start the tunnels south towards Broadway before turning westwards under Broadway (full bore to UBC!). the dirt can be dumped into traincars using a track on the nearby bnsf yard north of the gnw campus.

when the tunnels are completed and tbms removed, the launch box can be rebuilt as the gnw station that makes the transition from elevated tracks to tunnel

Last edited by jsbertram; Jul 19, 2017 at 3:01 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure