HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian74 View Post
Canada keeps expanding air agreements that have no air service to Canada in the first place, like Singapore, Thailand etc but ignore real markets that could use extra frequencies like UAE, etc
I believe there is actually larger O/D market between Canada and Singapore/Thailand compared to UAE, just that the government and airlines of both countries are not willing to burn money to sustain routes with 30-60% LF....

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
It would be nice to see Thai at YVR but I think they could have already operated the route before this new agreement if they wanted to

Canada keeps expanding air agreements that have no air service to Canada in the first place, like Singapore, Thailand etc but ignore real markets that could use extra frequencies like UAE, etc
Having Singapore came back to Vancouver would be great.

They use to operate to Vancouver with a stop in South Korea. The only problem was they carried far more passangers between Vancouver and South Korea than between Vancouver and Singapore. I believe the route was capped at 3 per week.

On a side note, after Singapore pulled out it allowed Korean Airlines and Air Canada to operate the route daily.

Thai Airlines would make a great addition to Vancouver. More Star Alliance airlines the better for building a connecting hub.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 10:24 AM

Quote:
US3 behaving like cry babies. Propoganda

Australia is doing fine, in fact their air travel market is larger than Canada despite a much smaller population. Actually almost every county is doing fine.

Emirates is profitable.

Big discussions at a.net

Daily Emirates at YYZ and YVR isn't going to hurt anyone
Australia's flagship airline Qantas has had to drop routes to:

France, Germany, Netherlands, Greece, Pakistan

Their service to the UK is quite limited. The only place where they are doing well is on flights across the Pacific and domestically. Markets where they don't compete with the gulf airlines. To serve Europe they now need to feed into Dubai as a transit hub.

I don't think Australia is going a head in this market.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 6:48 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Just returned from my holiday in Iceland and Greenland. Since Icelandair's direct flight to KEF was so expensive, I ended up flying through MSP on Delta. Never been to MSP before, but it was quite practical and surprisingly big airport. I also had time to visit both Minneapolis and Mall of America on my 10-hour layover on the way back, which were interesting visits. Minneapolis wasn't that exciting, but Minnesota itself looked very inviting from the air.

Although Delta provides a good service overall, I really hate their new seating system and pricing. I already noticed this on my YVR-SEA-AMS flight over the Christmas and I am not sure if any other airline does it, but Delta charges a hefty $60 to reserve a window or an aisle seat on the front half of the Economy class. That sucks donkey balls, as it makes it very difficult to be sitting next to someone you are traveling with without paying an extra charge.

What makes it even more stupid is that Delta's seating algorithm seems to be now by default assigning two people traveling together to completely different rows, forcing almost everyone to request re-seating at the airport. I also saw many people trying to switch seats with other passangers inside the plane to sit next to their companions. This makes boarding a very slow process.

This is very stupid by Delta and I have to say I am disencouraged to fly with them for this very reason, should there be an equal flight available.

Does any other airline do the same yet? I really hope Delta understands this being a mistake, as it is very cumbersome for families with kids and also slows down the boarding process, leading to late departures which cost the airline. It is also anything but good customer service.
Yes it sucks donkey balls, and yes other airlines have started doing this too. Both American and United have a new basic economy fare which does not allow advanced seat selection at all (United) or charges a fee (American)

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post

YVR-BKK, YVR-SIN and YVR-SGN are all real possibilities now.
Those would all be amazing routes, and despite some peoples thoughts, real game changers, as YVR and most of North America currently has no service to SE Asia.

They are tough routes to gauge though, as they often have a decent amount of traffic but it is just so consistently low yielding. The only one that I would think should have a higher yield is SIN, as there is a decent amount of HNW and business connection between the two cities, but still something must be keeping it from being viable.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
They are tough routes to gauge though, as they often have a decent amount of traffic but it is just so consistently low yielding. The only one that I would think should have a higher yield is SIN, as there is a decent amount of HNW and business connection between the two cities, but still something must be keeping it from being viable.
Check AC's Y price for November for Asian routes... all non-stop, round-trip
YVR-HKG $572
YVR-PEK $604
YVR-PVG $664
YVR-TPE $699

Other Airlines...
YVR-NKG $585
YVR-CGO $652
YVR-SHE $652
YVR-TAO $660

YVR-CAN $775
YVR-XMN $801
YVR-NRT $863
YVR-HND $863

They all pretty low-yielding? In fact, the ticket price had been like that all year-round except the few weeks in summer and winter. Direct flight to SGN, SIN, BKK may even have higher yield than that...

Compare to other direct flights in November...
YVR-YYZ $586
YVR-DEL $1382
YVR-SYD $1788

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Australia's flagship airline Qantas has had to drop routes to:

France, Germany, Netherlands, Greece, Pakistan

Their service to the UK is quite limited. The only place where they are doing well is on flights across the Pacific and domestically. Markets where they don't compete with the gulf airlines. To serve Europe they now need to feed into Dubai as a transit hub.

I don't think Australia is going a head in this market.
They seem to have a nice partnership with Emirates. Flying all the way to Europe is expensive and Emirates can offer much more one stop destinations in Europe than Qantas ever could. https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlin...en#our-network

Qantas hasn't quit Europe completely, in fact they are adding non stops to LHR.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 2:25 AM

Could YvR be Using gate D\E49 for International Flights freeing up One of the regular INt'l gates so D59l would not be needed and AC domestic trffic at that time could us gate Gate B28 which is never used?

The Ac fares to Asia mentioned above sure seem good. How do they compare with the same destinations from SEA?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Could YvR be Using gate D\E49 for International Flights freeing up One of the regular INt'l gates so D59l would not be needed and AC domestic trffic at that time could us gate Gate B28 which is never used?

The Ac fares to Asia mentioned above sure seem good. How do they compare with the same destinations from SEA?
D49 already used for international arrival everyday at around noon, and sometimes D48 too... There's no room for the waiting area for departure or it would cut a big chunk of C concourse off...

And for SEA... all non-stop flights in Canadian dollars
SEA-PVG $667
SEA-PEK $719
SEA-HKG $800
SEA-TPE $1099
SEA-NRT $1374

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post

Last time I was around it looked as though there was no bridge on gate 28. Maybe out-of-service?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2017, 9:21 PM

thought this was kind of interesting

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 12:38 AM

Air Canada achieved a single day passenger record on June 29:

http://www.travelweek.ca/news/air-ca...senger-record/

Old Posted Jul 14, 2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
There's been no secret that Thai has mentioned direct flights to YVR and we all know AC has YVR-BKK connected on its 2018 route network possibilities route map.
Thai, yes. AC, no.

YVR-BKK isn't on AC's 2018 route map. (at least not in the 2015 investor day pdf)

https://www.aircanada.com/content/da...r_day_2015.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
I wonder if Vancouver will ever become a five-continent airport?
I think so. It's a matter of time. Most likely a Japanese carrier to GRU. As for AC, i'm not quite sure YVR-South America is on their map, yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
YVR is only allowed from the Canadian side; Thailand only allowed to use YYZ/YUL.
Like I said, Thai might launch YVR. If they dont get FAA approval, it might be the first route back to NA. If they do get US approval, it will follow LAX and SFO.

I don't see AC launching the route. Bigger fish to fry. With so much YVR-Asia capacity, prices are already in the gutter (as has been shown above). Starting a near 12,000 km low yielding route isn't (or rather shouldn't) be high priority for AC.

Thai's cost structure is better suited to serve the market.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 10:28 AM
Big City Enthusiast

would rather have Thai serve the route anyway, new flag + pretty planes. And MORE foreign presence thereby making YVR a more complete Star Alliance hub.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 4:41 AM

June 2017 stat for YVR-TPE:

Code:
	Flts	Pax	 LF		to TPE	to YVR
AC	44	12,247	93.4%		91.5%	95.3%
CI	51	16,216	84.5%		75.8%	93.6%
BR	52	14,273	73.8%		62.2%	84.5%
Total	147	42,736	82.8%		74.9%	90.5%
Note that the total passenger count for June 2016 was 30,990. So it was an increase of 37.9% this year.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 8:00 AM

Wow AC doing very well on the route in both directions.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2017, 1:34 PM

I'm surprised BR is so low considering they supposedly have excellent service and seemed pretty cheap to me.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 12:19 AM

I flew on a CS300 today from GVA to LHR. Famtastic airplane! Air Canada will be offering a terrific product when they replace the Ejets and A319s.

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Yesterday at 5:58 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:20 AM

Big shout out to YVR on its 86th Anniversary today - opened up on this date back in 1931. A panorama pic on opening day:

BTW, that hangar in the background later became the operations hangar for Pacific Western Airlines back circa 1953 along Airport Road and was still extant into the 1990's IIRC.

37 years after opening day back in 1931, the new terminal on Grant McConachie Way commenced ops in 1968 with the original terminal (built after 1931) and now known as South Terminal still operational.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure