HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecity View Post
I actually work in Claudia Taylor Johnson Hall occasionally and the interior has been redone several times and seems to offer no historical value. Much of what exists is remnant of a '70s office building.
+1 for eyewitness accounts.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2017, 7:18 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I loooove all the designs for this site and will take em' all!
Care to indulge us???

Well if they are taking more of a footprint then I'm a little nervous about how it will come out.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2017, 8:12 AM

I wish we had renderings. They have to exist somewhere at this point. Anyway, several core sampling permits were filed yesterday which indicates this is still moving forward.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 7:51 PM

Any news on this potential tallest beauty?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 9:00 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Any news on this potential tallest beauty?
So are we speculating on two potential tallests? This and block 185???

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 9:13 PM

I'm afraid of being let down again with this one just because I loved the losing Nelsen/Endeavor proposal so much.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 11:36 PM
World Traveler

I feel like if we don't talk about it - even ignore it - that something good will happen here. Can we freeze this thread until that block is developed? I don't want to jinx anything.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
So are we speculating on two potential tallests? This and block 185???
This 185 AND Courthouse site

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 7:34 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
This 185 AND Courthouse site
Well given that we've seen at least the massing of the courthouse block if not the general design, unless there's other designs that we haven't seen yet, it looks to be in the 700 foot range. If only we had more details about the other possible designs for block 71, I'd be a bit more confident that it could be one of the tallest in the city. Still, having 3 potential tall towers is better than none so I guess I shouldn't be greedy and stay content with the possibilities we have now.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Well given that we've seen at least the massing of the courthouse block if not the general design, unless there's other designs that we haven't seen yet, it looks to be in the 700 foot range. If only we had more details about the other possible designs for block 71, I'd be a bit more confident that it could be one of the tallest in the city. Still, having 3 potential tall towers is better than none so I guess I shouldn't be greedy and stay content with the possibilities we have now.
I'm so hoping that SOMETHING reaches 700 ft before 2020...and something attractive

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 12:10 AM
World Traveler

^ Agreed. Let's shoot for 700...then 800...then higher. I still wouldn't be opposed to a 1000'+, but I'm also okay taking baby steps in that direction. I'd rather have a really great 700' building over a 1000' "look at me" building any day...not to say I'm opposed to a supertall in Austin, but I'd really want it to be timeless.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
^ Agreed. Let's shoot for 700...then 800...then higher. I still wouldn't be opposed to a 1000'+, but I'm also okay taking baby steps in that direction. I'd rather have a really great 700' building over a 1000' "look at me" building any day...not to say I'm opposed to a supertall in Austin, but I'd really want it to be timeless.
Same here. The last thing I'd want is for Austin to have some cheesy 1000+ ft thing. We just NEED to get past the 70 floor marker...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 7:51 PM

A site plan was filed today for the demo of the parking garage and another structure. I believe this would be following the city's "fast track" permitting process where two site plans are filed. The first site plan is for demo/site prep and a second one for the building. It supposedly speeds up the process to split it in two like this. Anyway, we should be close to getting some project specifics or renderings.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=549050

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 5:13 PM

I've learned a few details from a source with direct knowledge. On the southern half of the block (which holds CTJ and the adjacent plaza) will go a 35-story office building. From what I understood, the building will be built above the current CTJ building facade, but CTJ itself will be gutted for ground retail. I'm not completely sure if the building will take up the half-block or just the CTJ portion, but the plaza will be demolished. The renderings of the building were described as "really cool", take whatever you will from that.

The building will open up to a park which will be built on the northwestern portion of the block. The parking garage that is currently there will be demolished. Eventually, a residential high-rise with ground retail is planned for the northeastern portion. They want to start within the next 5-6 months.

So basically a 35-story office tower, a park, and a residential high-rise of unknown height.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 5:47 PM

Omg serioiusly why not go higher!?

EDIT: solid intel Austinite, thanks.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I've learned a few details from a source with direct knowledge. On the southern half of the block (which holds CTJ and the adjacent plaza) will go a 35-story office building. From what I understood, the building will be built above the current CTJ building facade, but CTJ itself will be gutted for ground retail. I'm not completely sure if the building will take up the half-block or just the CTJ portion, but the plaza will be demolished. The renderings of the building were described as "really cool", take whatever you will from that.

The building will open up to a park which will be built on the northwestern portion of the block. The parking garage that is currently there will be demolished. Eventually, a residential high-rise with ground retail is planned for the northeastern portion. They want to start within the next 5-6 months.

So basically a 35-story office tower, a park, and a residential high-rise of unknown height.
At 35 floors that is a 7 floors taller than the 28 floor, 400 ft. Google building on Second Street. Rough math makes this 35 floor building around 500 ft. Also the Chase tower across the street is 21 floors, so this will be 14 floors taller than Chase. That's pretty good height change for that block. Obviously we'd all like taller, and may get it with the residential tower, but 35 floors and possibly 500 ft. is a great addition.

Thanks for the info Austinite!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 8:47 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

So much for Block 71 being a new tallest contender. Its pretty safe to assume that the residential tower won't be significant. Maybe 40 story range.

Having said that, and as sad as it is, a 35 story office tower will make it the tallest office building (by 2 floors). It would have to be somewhere in the 400 foot range. Frost is 33 floors... Depending on if it has some sort of crown, maybe over 500 feet. It's location in DT would make it noticeable since that block is higher up compared to the waterfront highrises.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2017, 10:17 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
So much for Block 71 being a new tallest contender. Its pretty safe to assume that the residential tower won't be significant. Maybe 40 story range.
Could be. But I don't think that can be said yet based on this intel. Don't be down in the dumps for nothing!

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 12:00 AM

I agree that even at only 500ft, that would be good height for that area. Maybe they could pull a Fairmont and add a 100ft spire to exaggerate the height to 600ft.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2017, 1:37 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I agree that even at only 500ft, that would be good height for that area. Maybe they could pull a Fairmont and add a 100ft spire to exaggerate the height to 600ft.
I think a 101ft spire is more likely.

I think this is a good office addition, for sure. Looking forward to hearing more about the residential tower.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin