HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 9:37 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
To be fair, the Detroit Life Building and the Columbia Street project have been ongoing.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was under the impression that the School of Business was built by WSU, not Olympia, using money donated by Olympia.

That was my impression about the School of Business. Still, I think people's concerns about the historic buildings are warranted given Olympia's track record. I mean, why else make it a historic district?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
That was my impression about the School of Business. Still, I think people's concerns about the historic buildings are warranted given Olympia's track record. I mean, why else make it a historic district?
I definitely side with the fact that the concern is warranted. I am by no means a fan of what Olympia has done to the northwest section of downtown or their bad track record with new projects.

Last edited by DetroitSky; Jul 11, 2018 at 1:27 AM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 11:27 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
It passed!

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...lca/771812002/

The historical block is saved!
Honestly, this was a no-brainer and I'm glad this was a unanimous vote. While I'm not as much a hardliner preservationist as some when it comes to smaller buildings, and while I don't have as bad a view of the Ilitches as some have, I really have kind of reached my limit with the Olympia. They've done better in recent years than they did decades ago, but it's clear their default is still to view historic properties as a problem instead of an opportunity.

And, honestly, there isn't any real reason for them to be tearing down anything of historical significance in District Detroit given how little is actually left and thus how much buildable land for new development is left in between these few remaining teeth. It's not like these historic properties are hindering major development.

So, good on the city for doing something that sets down some additional guidelines for what Olympia can and can not do in this area. Obviously, Olympia's vision for the area needs some additional guidance that still seems absent from the actual leadership of the company, and if the city can provide that missing vision then so be it. They are just making sure they aren't taken like suckers like they were when they refused to oversee the full development of Mike's "Foxtown" that never came to be.

Speaking of which, I was under the impression that they've been working on the vacant retail spaces along Columbia Street. Is this not the case? I've seen pictures showing construction work.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2018, 1:39 PM

This is pretty big for Eastern Market. The same folks that developed the Siren Hotel in the Wurlitzer, downtown, are planning a multi-building redevelopment of and old cold storage facility and adajcent properties at Riopelle and Adelaide along the block to Orleans.

Quote:

Siren Hotel redeveloper works on mixed-use project in Eastern Market

By Kirk Pinho, Crain's Detroit Business

July 10, 2018

The New York City-based company that turned the blighted Wurlitzer Building in downtown Detroit into a $22 million boutique hotel has its eyes set on a large-scale redevelopment in Eastern Market along Adelaide Street.

Ari Heckman, founding partner and CEO of ASH NYC, told Crain's on Tuesday that although his company hasn't quite figured out what it will do with about 110,000 square feet it bought earlier this year from Santemp Co., it is envisioning a mixed-use redevelopment of six buildings between Orleans Street to the east and just west of Riopelle Street.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 6:50 AM

Gordie Howe International Bridge to start construction this year

Quote:
Final contract details will be negotiated between the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority and Bridging North America in the coming months. This will include the cost of the project, design details, and expected construction schedule, which will be announced following financial close, expected by the end of September.

The Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority stated that construction of the bridge will start this fall.
Avalon Village moves forward with plans for Blue Moon Cafe and Greenhouse

Quote:
In Highland Park, a community-led effort to create a healthy, sustainable, and safe neighborhood for its residents continues to grow. We recently visited Avalon Village on a day that founder Shamayim “Mama Shu” Harris had been looking forward to for a long time.

In the village, they’d planned to open a vegetarian cafe with a greenhouse at the corner of Avalon and Second Avenue. An old gas station stood in the way of this next phase. Beth Vens of the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality happened to be listening to a story about Avalon Village on NPR, and realized that they had funds to remove contaminants like that. Fast forward about a year to Thursday afternoon, and the tanks were coming out of the ground.
Avalon Village is probably my personal favorite grassroots effort type redevelopment in the Detroit area. It was spearheaded by Shamayim Harris and includes several properties along Avalon Street between Woodward and Second. It includes a renovated duplex called The Homework House, which will be a place where kids can get help with homework and healthy meals, the Village Hall, which is a prefab house donated by Ellen DeGeneres that serves as a meeting place and headquarters for the project, Jakobi Ra Park, which is currently hosting a free summer music camp, and The Goddess Marketplace, a place where local woman can sell handmade goods. Future projects include the Healing House, a holistic health center, and of course the greenhouse with marketplace and cafe.

Boblo boat owners launch crowdfunding campaign to rebuild after fire

New artist incubator space opens on Detroit's far east side

Quote:
As of June 21, artists and creative entrepreneurs looking for studio space will have yet another option. Detroit Artists' Test Lab (DATL), located on Mack Avenue on the far east side, is the latest artist incubator to open its doors.

Founded by husband-and-wife collaborators and artists Glenn Urquhart and Kira Kessler, DATL was a project seven years in the making. Thanks to Motor City Match grants, the couple was able to complete renovations of the 12,000 square foot building into the incubator.

DATL contains a 2,500-square-foot professional photography studio, a 3,500-square-foot gallery, and a podcast studio for rent. Private offices are available for lease and co-working space memberships will start in the fall.

Last edited by DetroitSky; Jul 14, 2018 at 7:04 AM.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 2:30 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
This is pretty big for Eastern Market. The same folks that developed the Siren Hotel in the Wurlitzer, downtown, are planning a multi-building redevelopment of and old cold storage facility and adajcent properties at Riopelle and Adelaide along the block to Orleans.
Man would it be cool to see these buildings get new life. New windows and restoring the masonry would be transformative.

I tried to find some historic photos but came up dry. According to Eastern Market's website, the Metro Cold Storage building was built 1864 and rebuilt in 1884. If I'm understanding the little blurb correctly, one of the earliest occupants was The Detroit Brewing Company, in 1868.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 9:11 PM

Gotta love the prospect of the Cold Storage Building being freshened up definitely opens up new opportunities for Eastern Market.

Quote:
PGA Rocket Mortgage Classic to be played in Detroit in June

By KURT NAGL
Crain's Detroit Business
July 10, 2018

-Event will be first PGA Tour tournament in Michigan since Buick Open folded in 2009
-Quicken Loans shifted its funding from defunct National tournament in Washington, D.C.
-Detroit mortgage company signed long-term agreement to sponsor the tournament

Quote:
After months of teasing, the PGA Tour's return to Michigan got a name, date and confirmation of location Tuesday.

The PGA Tour released its 2018-19 schedule Tuesday which includes a new Quicken Loans Inc.-sponsored tournament in Detroit.

The Rocket Mortgage Classic is scheduled for June 24-30 at the Detroit Golf Club. It is one of two new events in rotation for the tour next season.

It marks the first time the PGA Tour has hosted a tournament in Detroit's city limits and will be the first PGA event in the state since the defunct Buick Open at Warwick Hills Golf and Country Club in Grand Blanc 1958-2009.

"Professional golf belongs in Detroit," Quicken Loans CEO Jay Farner said in a written statement.

"Here in Detroit, we've got car racing, we've got football, we've got hockey, but the PGA has never been in Detroit proper ever," Farner told WXYZ.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...etroit-in-june

Makes sense if your going to be bringing the worlds media to Detroit you would want to do it when the weather is nice.

Quote:
Detroit auto show expected to move to June, reports say

By Automotive News
Crain's Detroit Business
July 10, 2018

-Show spokesman confirmed last month it would be moved to warmer weather dates
-Reports say the show will take place in June and tie into downtown area
-Goodwood Festival of Speed in the U.K. to be looked at as new model

The Detroit Auto Dealers Association, which organizes the North American International Auto Show in downtown Detroit, is preparing to shift the annual show to June, The Detroit Free Press and The Detroit News reported late Monday.

After months of deliberations, show organizers are finalizing a plan to move the annual show from its longtime January date to June in 2020, with an announcement expected July 24, The News said, citing industry sources close to the situation.

The June date would be "the cornerstone of an outdoor automotive celebration around Cobo Center and other downtown landmarks," The News said.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ne-reports-say

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Last edited by LMich; Jul 18, 2018 at 8:01 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 6:55 AM

This photo is from July 13 but I'm just now getting around to posting it. Steel is finally rising at City Club Apartments CBD Detroit along the Park Avenue frontage.

[/url]

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 8:06 AM

It's incredibly how slow this project has been. I believe they started excavation work last fall. I realize it's a large site, but there must have definitely been some money/sourcing issues with this one that we won't hear about.

The Detroit News had a some great photos on their Detroit bankruptcy story yesterday. The first is looking over City Modern in Brush Park, the second is zoomed out. Looks like a childcare facility is rising in the foreground along with some other infill.

Photos by Daniel Mears | The Detroit News:

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 8:15 AM

LMich, the child care center is going to be a Rainbow child care location. The renderings match the architecture in Brush Park. The infill development behind it is The Kelemen. You can also see the Little Caesars headquarters behind the Fox. That angle gives a good view on the width of that building.

In the next few years that view will be even more dense. The other 6 floor buildings in City Modern as well as the new 3 building project along John R south of the Carlton will definitely add to it.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 8:31 AM

Yeah, the angle was kind of throwing me off. That's Mack in the second picture I'm now seeing.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 12:56 PM

I can't quite get over this, but more evidence of Hazel Park having become a hotspot inner-ring suburb in the past few years.

Quote:
Hazel Park is Oakland County's newest hot housing market

By Steven Pepple, The Detroit News

July 19, 2018

When Mike McFall and his husband began house hunting last year, as they prepared to move back to Michigan, they briefly thought about Ferndale but then zeroed in on Hazel Park.

“We already knew what the housing market was like in Ferndale,” McFall said, explaining that initial online searches showed the houses there were “overpriced” in his estimation.

So they turned their attention to Hazel Park, where things were starting to get interesting with an influx of trendy restaurants and bars and where housing was still a bargain.

But they didn’t foresee what happened next.

“We came in well over asking price of 3 different homes in Hazel Park last summer and lost all 3,” McFall said in a Facebook post.
Quote:
The median sale price of a single-family home in the traditional working class suburb jumped 30.6 percent in June compared to the same month one year ago, according to data released this week by RealComp. And year-to-date figures show an even stronger trend with the median home sale price up a whopping 40.5 percent in the first six months of the year compared to the same time period last year.
The homes are still steals for Oakland County, but for how much longer I'm not sure.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 5:50 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:

Not to nitpick, but I really hate the Ally and Fifth Third Bank signs on One Detroit and One Woodward. It looks especially bad on One Woodward, totally going against the intent of the architecture style.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 10:39 PM

Michigan DNR is demolishing Belle Isle's water slide
...and replacing it with a splash pad. The beach itself will also see a renovation.

Old Redford’s Holcomb School to be redeveloped into senior co-ops

Quote:
An old elementary school will be redeveloped into 32 co-ops in Detroit’s northwest Old Redford neighborhood, according to the city. The developer, DDC Group & Anchor Team, will lead the $6 million project.

It’s part of a larger plan released late last year by the city, with Holcomb School the centerpiece of a neighborhood redevelopment.

Here's the rendering for that Rainbow Child Care Center:

Source

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 11:35 PM

The child center actually looks really nice, I'm impressed.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 8:56 AM

It looks suspiciously similar to the newer building you can see in the first photograph a block to the south.

Glad to hear about that redevelopment in Old Redford. Senior co-ops seems to be fairly popular in Detroit; the concept is less prevelent where I live. I'm always bit surprised how they are often in low-income areas in the city given how most seniors in Detroit qualify for subsidized housing at least.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 4:17 PM

delete

Last edited by seabee1526; Jul 20, 2018 at 7:41 PM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2018, 9:36 PM

Those pics of the skyline and Brush Park were great finds btw LMich.

Cool to see solid plans for the former Holcolmb School. Grand River from Greenfield to Lasher has come a long way it looked like work is starting on the building on the N.W. corner of GR and Lasher. I'll upload some pics if things continue to progress.

Quote:
Skyscraper in Detroit's Financial District for sale

By KIRK PINHO
Crain's Detroit Business
July 20, 2018

-211 W. Fort St. built in 1963 at Fort Street and Washington Boulevard
-Two sources say ownership group is looking for $55 million for the skyscraper
-U.S. General Services Administration leases comprise more than 90 percent of net operating income

Quote:
A skyscraper in Detroit's Financial District is being marketed for sale.

The owner of the 26-story building at 211 W. Fort St. at Washington Boulevard is being marketed by Chicago-based Cushman & Wakefield Inc., which has a local office in Southfield.

It's one of the more notable buildings downtown to be listed for sale in recent memory and, when coupled with auto supplier Adient plc's recent decision to shelve plans for a central business district headquarters in the Marquette Building at 243 W. Congress St. across the street, effectively makes a large portion of two blocks of key downtown real estate up for grabs.

Two real estate sources familiar with the matter said the ownership group is asking $125 per square foot for the 441,000-square-foot, 55-year-old skyscraper. That would put the asking price at $55.13 million.

A third source said the ownership group includes principals from Minskoff Grant Realty & Management Corp., which is based in White Plans, N.Y. An email was sent to President and COO Jean Minskoff Grant, a member of the Minskoff family of New York City real estate developers.

City records list the owner as 211 Fort Washington Associates LLC, an entity registered to Krystal Rappuhn, principal of Detroit-based Beanstalk Real Estate Solutions, which is the building's property management company. A message seeking comment was left with Rappuhn on Friday morning.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...trict-for-sale

Quote:
Developer Basco to renovate Busy Bee Hardware properties

By ANNALISE FRANK
Crain's Detroit Business
July 18, 2018

-Roger Basmajian bought Eastern Market buildings after century-old hardware store closed
-Basmajian's Basco of Michigan Inc. to deliver 10 residential units, retail spaces in $6 million project
-Wants to restore buildings historically, keep some murals

Quote:
Detroit-based Basco of Michigan Inc. plans to redevelop the Busy Bee Hardware properties at the northeast corner of Russell Street and Gratiot Avenue in Eastern Market for $6 million.

Detroit real estate investor Roger Basmajian has signed on to restore the Busy Bee Hardware buildings at the corner of Gratiot Avenue and Russell Street in Eastern Market.

Basmajian's Detroit-based real estate firm, Basco of Michigan Inc., is investing $6 million to build out three or four ground-floor commercial spaces and 10 residential units, likely apartments, on the second floor.

Century-old mom-and-pop outfit Busy Bee Hardware closed last summer and its third-generation owners, siblings Richard Crabb and Sandy Novak, sold its swath of buildings just south of I-75 and Eastern Market proper to Basmajian.

Quote:
MORE EASTERN MARKET PROJECTS

-Sanford Nelson acquired a 142,500-square-foot Eastern Market portfolio over the last 18 months and told Crain's that he wants to preserve the neighborhood's identity as he redevelops.

-A $1 million renovation of the Viola Building just south of the Busy Bee properties started in June

-Across Russell Street, a $106 million mixed-use development called the Eastern Market Gateway is in the OTE]

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Last edited by Docta_Love; Jul 22, 2018 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2018, 6:19 AM

Mollicone Park is reactivated in Indian Village

Quote:
Friends of Mollicone Park was formed under the Indian Village Historical Collections 501(c)3 in fall 2016, and the group started working with the city on a vision. They held many community meetings with nearby churches, Nichols Elementary across the street, and neighbors to see what the community wanted. Sullivan says city officials stopped by some of the meetings, often adding questions the group might not know to ask, and Michael Jacobs helped propose a design based on community feedback.

The total plan calls for a paved pathway, picnic tables and seating, a playscape, a gathering area, and a place for dogs. Phase One started this spring, and the pathway now runs a quarter mile around the park. Sullivan says they broke the plan into phases as a way to activate the park quickly.

Bay City shop owner to open women's clothing boutique in Detroit's New Center

Quote:
Ferne Detroit is located in a storefront along Woodward Avenue, just south of West Grand Boulevard. The area is bustling with development, including the expansion of the Henry Ford Health System campus, the new Detroit Pistons training facility, and the Platform's mixed-use redevelopment across the street.
Quote:
Ferne Boutique is located at 6529 Woodward Ave. in Detroit. A grand opening celebration is planned for Saturday, Aug. 25.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2018, 12:36 AM

Some more information and renderings released on the planned moving of the NAIAS to June 2020:

Transformational Move Announced for the North American International Auto Show

June is going to be a very busy month in Detroit!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations