HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 26, 2008, 12:57 AM

Here's a more ambitious set of fantasy maps than the last one I posted. They're sort of schematic so they aren't perfectly to scale, but it's pretty close. I've put these up on flickr so the size is a bit small.

The modes are:
1) Rapidbus/b-lines shown with narrow lines in light grey and dark grey
2) Trams (or maybe articulated trolleys) shown with narrow lines in bright colours
3) Skytrain shown with thick lines in primary colours
4) Regional rail shown with thick lines in pastel colours

First, the latter two modes:

The blue dashed regional line is commuter rail like the West Coast Express, while the solid regional lines have regular bidirectional service every 30 minutes or something like that.
The stops that are close together on the brown regional line between Langley and Abbotsford are for Kwantlen in Langley and the University of the Fraser Valley in Abbotsford. Other stops on that section are at Abbotsford International Airport, Aldergrove, and Murrayville.
The brown regional line to Fort Langley has a stop for Trinity Western University/Highway 1 that might also have a park and ride facility.
edit: There are a couple places where the regional lines would conflict with freight. The regional lines shown would be double-tracked and dedicated to passenger service so they could maintain a schedule and so they could operate at relatively high speeds. In some places, like the BNSF line through the Central Valley and on the Southern line between Scott Road and Cloverdale, the line would be passenger-only except maybe at night. In others, like through Maple Ridge and possibly Langley City, two additional tracks would be built parallel to the freight tracks. Maybe a couple dozen houses would need to be acquired in Maple Ridge, but since these houses are 20 m from a freight main line I'm sure the owners aren't particularly attached to them.

A close-up on Vancouver showing all four modes:

The orange tram lines use the Georgia Viaduct and Burrard Bridge. These could be articulated trolleys or trams.
The gold tram line on Robson connects to the future combined BCIT/Emily Carr/UBC/everything campus on the False Creek Flats.
The blue tram line follows Cordova through what's left of Japantown (as part of Portland-esque revitalization initiative).
The purple regional line stops at Arbutus/Broadway with a transfer to the Millennium line and the orange tram/trolley line. There is a transfer to the Canada line at Marine Drive station for a downtown connection as well.

A close-up on Surrey showing all modes:

The brown regional line between Surrey Central and Newton follows the hydro right-of-way.
The blue tram line connects Newton to the Kwantlen campus in Surrey.
The purple tram line on Scott Road is part of a strip mall revitalization initiative. The strip malls here are spaced at 800-m intervals, just like the stations on the tram line. These large greyfield sites are already consolidated.

A close-up on Richmond showing all modes:

The purple regional line follows the existing right-of-way along Shell Road.
The purple tram line follows the existing right-of-way on Railway for much of its length, then takes Lansdowne for a transfer to the Canada line and a stop outside Kwantlen's Richmond campus. If the Garden City lands was removed from the ALR, the tram line could continue into the site. As it's shown, the tram line turns up Garden City and then back onto an existing right-of-way north of Bridgeport by the night market with a transfer stop on the regional line before continuing through the large business district in East Richmond.

Finally, a map showing all modes:

Dark grey B-lines dominate a Willingdon busway, with other lines on Hastings, 41st, Marine Drive/3rd/Main/Cotton on the North Shore, and 200th street in Langley. A B-line connects Metrotown to uptown New Westminster, two B-line routes connect to Capilano University and the Maple Ridge campus of Douglas College, and three routes go to SFU and BCIT. Further east, a Clearbrook B-line runs down the middle of South Fraser Way between regional stations at Abbotsford International and Abbotsford, and another connects the University of the Fraser Valley campus in Mission to the Mission regional station.

Let me know if these are too small to read

Last edited by fever; Oct 26, 2008 at 1:59 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 11:06 PM

It's time for a revival of the fantasy thread (seeing as it looks like I killed it).

Thin lines are express buses (b-lines, suburban coaches in red in the first map)
Medium lines are skytrain and light rail
Thick lines are regional rail/interurban

Lower Mainland

By bob1324987134290 at 2008-12-29

South Fraser

North Surrey

Burrard Peninsula

Downtown Peninsula

North Shore

Richmond

edit: added Richmond, changed LM to match Richmond

Last edited by fever; Dec 30, 2008 at 5:36 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 11:17 PM

That new WCE alignment looks horrible, also what happened to the Mission station and future Albion station?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 11:32 PM

The Mission station is just like it is now (or not, if you prefer). The map doesn't show commuter rail, only lines that would be operated throughout the day in both directions.

The Central Valley alignment allows for many additional connections over the current alignment along Burrard Inlet:
@Braid station: New West, Lougheed on skytrain and Surrey (could be a direct line or with a transfer) on regional
@Still Creek/Willingdon: Metrotown, Brentwood, and North Van on B-lines
@Commercial/Broadway: Broadway and UBC on skytrain

Combined with a line to Surrey, it also decreases the total length of track in use for regional lines over also using the Burrard inlet alignment. This alignment is also straighter, so it would have a higher operating speed. And it allows for better separation of freight and passenger lines. The right-of-way is wide enough to have a separate track for freight to North Van.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2008, 11:43 PM

But it appears to be servicing the exact same route as skytrain if aligned like that. The mission station is actually very important seeing how it is also the OMC for the WCE. When the train arrives in Maple Ridge there are always many passengers already aboard from Mission. Isn't regional rail splitting hairs with commuter rail?

And really, does anyone have information on the Albion Station? Maple Ridge was promised this new station before 2010, unless something happens ASAP i don't think we will see it.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 1:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
And really, does anyone have information on the Albion Station? Maple Ridge was promised this new station before 2010, unless something happens ASAP i don't think we will see it.
It's been pushed back to around 2011+. They were hopeful it would be implemented in 2009 but apparently it's still under study.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 1:05 AM

what is the albion station? as far as i know the albion ferry will become obsolete when the golden ears bridge opens, and theres already a station at maple meadows way (dewdney + lougheed) that will serve the transit across the bridge

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 1:31 AM

The proposed Albion Station has nothing to do with the Albion Ferry. It is to service the eastern regions of Maple Ridge (240th area) that have experience high growth rates in the past decade. Actually they may be waiting for the ferry to close for they could use the ferry lands as a park and ride facility.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo
But it appears to be servicing the exact same route as skytrain if aligned like that.
Yes, it is serving a similar route to the Millennium line but with fewer stations and faster trains. The existing route will also parallel the Millennium line once the Evergreen extension opens. The main difference a user would experience between the two alignments is the more useful connections on the Central Valley alignment. There is the loss of a commuter stop at Port Moody (which likely couldn't become a regional stop because it would conflict with freight), but that's about it. There are other advantages to the Central Valley alignment, which I've mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo
The mission station is actually very important seeing how it is also the OMC for the WCE.
The WCE only runs five trains/day. A new OMC would be needed anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo
Isn't regional rail splitting hairs with commuter rail?
Not really. Commuter rail only runs inbound in the morning and outbound in the evening. It operates on track that is used by freight the rest of the time. Regional rail would run all day long in both directions. A typical schedule might see a train every thirty minutes. On the Central Valley alignment (with separate, parallel freight tracks to Willingdon to connect to North Van), trains from Langley and Maple Ridge would combine to run every fifteen minutes, for example.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 4:30 PM

Why is there still talk about Port Moody losing a station?? Until you guys actually take the West Coast Express regularily like I do, don't try to convince anyone that losing Port Moody Station will be no big deal.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 7:05 PM

I wouldn't want to upset Port Moody. It got a skytrain line to make up for it.

But just for you dk, here's an alternative with a WCE stop in Port Moody. This is a similar pattern to the one in Surrey.

To clarify, Port Moody - Vancouver is one line, Port Haney - Vancouver is another, both running via Coquitlam. Maybe throw in a Port Moody - Newton run as well.

By bob1324987134290 at 2008-12-30

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 8:12 PM

Why not just have the WCE continue down it's normal route and have regional rail go through Central Valley? I think Central Valley is going to be slower than the Burrard Inlet for WCE.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
The proposed Albion Station has nothing to do with the Albion Ferry. It is to service the eastern regions of Maple Ridge (240th area) that have experience high growth rates in the past decade. Actually they may be waiting for the ferry to close for they could use the ferry lands as a park and ride facility.
That could explain it. It is a long drive for the 240th St area residents to Maple Meadows Park and Ride. I'm wonderring if Translink would rather sell that waterfront property and somehow acquire land across the street for the park and ride.

Albion Station will probably add two minutes to my commute though. =(

Old Posted Dec 30, 2008, 11:14 PM

Albion station would add 3:45 to your commute if it's a typical WCE station, possibly more because it's on what is now the fastest part of the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk
Why not just have the WCE continue down it's normal route and have regional rail go through Central Valley? I think Central Valley is going to be slower than the Burrard Inlet for WCE.
Because of its longer distance, the Central Valley alignment would be several minutes slower from Coquitlam if it went as slow as the WCE has to on the Burrard Inlet alignment.
You're right about that, but it doesn't have to be like it is now.

It doesn't have to go as slow on the Central Valley because it is much straighter than along Burrard Inlet (it also doesn't conflict with freight). The difference in trip time between the two routes would be negligible from Coquitlam if the Central Valley alignment were operated at the same speed and acceleration as the existing WCE between Port Moody and Mission. If the Central Valley alignment was electrified, trains would accelerate faster, making the trip time from Coquitlam through the Central Valley a few minutes faster than the trip time along Burrard Inlet.

From Coquitlam:
Existing WCE: 30 minutes (from the schedule)
Central Valley like existing WCE along Burrard inlet: 40 minutes (calculated, assuming stations at Braid, Still Creek, Commercial)
Central Valley like existing WCE from Port Moody to Mission: 31 minutes (calculated, same stations)
Central Valley with shorter dwell times and faster acceleration: 25 minutes (calculated, same stations)

For the calculations I assumed that the train runs at the slower existing WCE speed between Waterfront and Commercial on the Central Valley alignment.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 6:30 PM

Well the WCE right now completes the final 21.5km stretch from Port Moody to Waterfront Station in under 25 minutes.

Coquitlam to Waterfront via Central Valley is 30.5km. I would say yea 40 minutes factoring in Braid, Willingdon/Still Creek, and Broadway Station, and Port Moody residents will have to spend additional time backtracking to Coquitlam then catch the West Coast Express there. Taking away Port Moody's station will add 15 minutes+ to their commute time. Skytrain? Once you go commuter rail you can't go back... might as well just drive downtown. 25 minutes from Port Moody to Vancouver in a nice comfortable train, you're bound to lose a lot of transit marketshare if you take that away.

Are you assuming that this is going to be on brand new track? The BNSF lines are equally as busy right now and I don't know how the heck they're going to fit another train line in the Grandview Cut and just the whole idea of it is pure fantasy seeing how Translink is struggling to find funding for anything.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2008, 7:10 PM

Yeah. The skytrain trip to Coquitlam would add a couple minutes plus a transfer for Port Moody.

Freight is rerouted to Burrard Inlet from the Central Valley through Coquitlam, so that line is freight-only. The rail bridge at New West will have to be replaced eventually, so this ties in with the replacement crossing at Sapperton Bar, which would have separate freight and passenger tracks.

No more BNSF line through the Grandview cut, that line is passenger-only from Willingdon. But yes, all new passenger track, both for noise and speed.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 2:56 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I don't have enough time to reduce the maps but here you go... 2040: A Vision for Metro Vancouver.
  1. SkyTrain Network
  2. West Coast Express Network
  3. LRT Network
  4. Streetcar Network
  5. RapidBus Newtork

Note that I didn't properly draw the RapidBus R17 route but it actually goes into Tsawwassen.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 4:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
I don't have enough time to reduce the maps but here you go... 2040: A Vision for Metro Vancouver.
that looks absolutely amazing! you use visio right? would you mind uploading your base map for those of us who also want to create our own fantasy maps, its perfect.

once again...amazing job!!

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 5:58 AM

Thumbs up Nice maps

I would also love the base map if you have it deasine, also if I may ask, what program did you use to make those great maps?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2009, 6:14 AM
Vancouver Moderator

It's Microsoft Visio as eduardo88 stated above. It's supposed to be a program used for doing flow charts and simple maps... but there are a lot of tools to create shapes and lines. Instead of using their metro lines and stations, I created my own.

It's quite simple. If you have the program... start a new drawing. Then, take a screenshot of Google Maps, and the begin building the landforms over top. It does take a while to know how to use the program properly though. Or u could use the base map below... I was going to release the maps using this map but I decided not to for some reason. I think I wanted more space so that I could put the station names. This map is quite close to scale versus the ones I posted earlier. It does include the major roads and bridges in Metro Vancouver. And yes I plotted every single damn line on that map... Haha you could see some of the roads a little off and slanted. Oh wells... Have fun!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure