HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: Winnipeg's (CMA) Population in 5 Years Will Be.....
740,000 or less 40 23.39%
740,000-750,000 26 15.20%
750,000-760,000 24 14.04%
760,000 or more 81 47.37%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 5:52 AM
I am a typical

Mississauga always was a suburb of Toronto. It didn't exist 40 years ago, and its development was largely dependent on Toronto being beside it. Hamilton, on the other hand, is a city in its own right. Compared to Mississauga, the amount of Hamilton residents working in Toronto is quite small, and unlike Mississauga, Hamilton has its own suburbs and satellite communities. It isn't a fully "independent" city like one would consider Winnipeg to be, but it isn't a suburb either.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 12:21 PM

Tomatoe tomato...

Mississauga has no more been a suburb of Toronto than Winnipeg has. Don't forget Etobicoke was a city of its own before being swallowed by Toronto 10 years ago. And Mississauga has many of its own suburbs including Port Credit and Streetsville and Clarkson...

And while it is, IMO a bedroom community of Toronto it also has a huge workforce of its own.

And, IMO, Oakville and Burlington and Hamilton even Stoney Creek are bedroom communities of the GTA.

Anyone doubting the notion of Hamilton and area not being bedroom communities just go for a "short" drive on the QEW...

Old Posted Aug 14, 2009, 6:54 PM

The commute from Hamilton to Toronto is not easy and most people can't handle it, but there are plenty of jobs throughout the region. It's not like Toronto is the only place with employment. The entire length of the QEW between Hamilton and Toronto is lined with big employers. Something like 5 times as many Hamiltonians work in Burlington compared to Toronto. A lot more people from Hamilton work in Oakville and Mississauga than Toronto too. There are even jobs right in Hamilton.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 12:24 AM
Capitalist

This conversation about Toronto and its surrounding population is very interesting and all... but how does it relate to Winnipeg and its growing population in the future??

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
But Hamilton has had an Ikea for a few years now. And that is the real measure of a city is it not?
Hamilton is definitely a city unto itself, with history, a century plus industrial base, and a distinct downtown core with building from the 1800's to present day.

You are incorrect about IKEA. Hamilton does not have an IKEA. Neighbouring Burlington does, but that's certainly not Hamilton; http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_CA/ikny_splash.html

Regarding Winnipegs population in 5 years, 740K or less is my vote. That is based on the following data; http://www.winnipeg.ca/cao/pdfs/population.pdf

Old Posted Aug 15, 2009, 8:59 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
Hamilton is definitely a city unto itself, with history, a century plus industrial base, and a distinct downtown core with building from the 1800's to present day.

You are incorrect about IKEA. Hamilton does not have an IKEA. Neighbouring Burlington does, but that's certainly not Hamilton; http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_CA/ikny_splash.html

Regarding Winnipegs population in 5 years, 740K or less is my vote. That is based on the following data; http://www.winnipeg.ca/cao/pdfs/population.pdf
Winnipeg's CMA already has 739,000 people.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 12:00 AM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton's CMA already has an IKEA. Think he means the City itself.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy old man View Post
Tomatoe tomato...

Mississauga has no more been a suburb of Toronto than Winnipeg has. Don't forget Etobicoke was a city of its own before being swallowed by Toronto 10 years ago. And Mississauga has many of its own suburbs including Port Credit and Streetsville and Clarkson...

And while it is, IMO a bedroom community of Toronto it also has a huge workforce of its own.

And, IMO, Oakville and Burlington and Hamilton even Stoney Creek are bedroom communities of the GTA.

Anyone doubting the notion of Hamilton and area not being bedroom communities just go for a "short" drive on the QEW...
Port Credit et al are not suburbs of Mississauga, they are Mississauga. If you take them away then you are left with nothing but a black hole. Hamilton is not a bedroom community.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 3:18 AM
YaY~InForMatTion TimE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
I think he was trying to say Winnipeg will shrink in population or not grow at all..

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 3:22 AM
YaY~InForMatTion TimE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
Hamilton is not a bedroom community.
Yeah, I agree, similar to Minneapolis-Saint Paul = Toronto-Hamilton.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
Port Credit et al are not suburbs of Mississauga, they are Mississauga. If you take them away then you are left with nothing but a black hole. Hamilton is not a bedroom community.
Tres touchy... We can debate this 'till the cows come home eh? So we'll agree to disagree then?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 3:28 AM

Mpls-St. Paul = Toronto-Hamilton? Really?

Mpls-St. Paul are known as the Twin Cities and are about 10 miles apart, downtown to downtown.

Hamilton is a good hour south of Toronto with two cities between them. So maybe not so much eh?

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 3:54 AM
It's Hammer Time

It's more like Richmond to Washington DC and Washington DC to Baltimore or Baltimore to Wilmington or Wilmington to Philadelphia or Philadelphia to Trenton or Trenton to New York or New York to Hartford or Hartford to Providence or Providence to Boston, etc. All highly populated region like Southern Ontario.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 3:54 AM

Correction: After some research I will say Hamilton is not a bedroom community.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBoy View Post
My apologies, I was focusing on Winnipeg Proper population, not CMA. For CMA, I would say 750,000 to 760,000.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2009, 9:56 PM
I am a typical

Port Credit is to Mississauga what St. Boniface is to Winnipeg.

Minneapolis-St. Paul is more like Kitchener-Waterloo, except it isn't orbiting another city and the downtowns are more separate.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2009, 3:38 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I am bullish on the peg. gonna pick numero tres

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 3:14 PM
Armchair urbanist

I figured this was the most relevant thread to post this in:

Quote:
Manitoba's population takes another jump

By: Staff Writer

WINNIPEG -- Manitoba's population took another jump during the second quarter of 2009.

The numbers from Statistics Canada indicate the provincial population rose from 1,216,137 at the end of March to 1,221,964 at the end of June -- an increase of more than 5,800 residents or 0.48 per cent.

That's higher than the Canadian population growth rate of 0.36 per cent. Canada's population rose by nearly 121,200 to 33,739,900 by the end of June.

The increase was largely due to net international migration, which totalled 84,800, the second-highest figure for a second quarter since 1972.

Alberta was the province with the fastest demographic growth rate from April to June 2009, at 0.59 per cent. The main contributors to the province's growth were immigration and natural increase.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 4:26 PM
What could go wrong?

I was just going to post the same article. If you want to incorporate it into Winnipeg growth my very poor, simple math skills would estimate 5,800 x 4 for the year = 23,200 new people to the province. Then if you take roughly 65% of Winnipeg's portion of the provinces population the metro area will gain approximately 15,080 people this year. I know it is very inaccurate but it was fun, and i get to show of my math skills (which are probably wrong - but I'm sure someone on this site will correct me)

Old Posted Sep 29, 2009, 6:18 PM
What could go wrong?

Manitoba News Release

September 29, 2009

MANITOBA RECORD-BREAKING POPULATION GROWTH BEST IN AT LEAST 38 YEARS
- - -
Provincial Nominee Program, Immigration Driving Growth: Allan

Manitoba's population grew by nearly 16,000 people during the last 12 months, Competitiveness, Training and Trade Minister Nancy Allan announced today.

Driving this record-breaking growth were people moving to Manitoba from other jurisdictions, the minister said. Manitoba reported a net gain of 10,562 individuals coming to Manitoba from other regions of Canada and around the world, which is a 38-year high net gain.

"We are proud that so many people from other provinces and countries have chosen Manitoba to be their new home," Allan said.
"They have come here because this province offers so much potential for individuals and families to find meaningful jobs, grow their businesses and raise children with real hope for a rewarding future."

According to Statistics Canada data released today, Manitoba's population stood at 1,222,000 as of July 1. This is 15,864 more people since July 1, 2008, for an increase of 1.32 per cent, which is well above Canada's growth rate of 1.24 per cent.

"In fact, the growth of Manitoba's population since 1999 has been quite remarkable," the minister said. "In the last 10 years,
Manitoba's population has increased by nearly 80,000. This
growth was more than double the increase of the previous 10-year period."

Much of the growth during the last several years can be attributed to the success of the Provincial Nominee Program, Allan said. This program has resulted in historic growth in Manitoba's immigration population. Of the more than 13,000 individuals who arrived in Manitoba during the last 12 months, three-quarters were provincial nominees.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan