HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 2:22 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
I find this funny, as people are arguing about new stadiums, renovations, downtown etc. This article pops up on the leader post with some intresting news

http://www.leaderpost.com/Evraz+Plac...758/story.html
Quote:
He said that perception will change as the city expands west and residents realize how close Evraz Place is to not only downtown Regina, but to the entertainment district along Dewdney Avenue between Albert and Broad streets.
That's a really.. erm homey entertainment district.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 6:48 PM

I re-read the LP article again and found it curious that they only mentioned three options for the stadium - open, fixed dome and open with provision to add dome at later date. No mention of the retractable roof. Fixed dome would be unbearable in summer when temperatiures will heat it up like a sauna unlesss they plan to spend a fortune on air conditioning. Not sure why the retractable roof was left off the table. Hope they also investigate the possibility of heating and cooling using a geothermal process. This could conceivably reduce costs for heating and cooling an enclosed dome. The whole P3 scenario, though, looks like a pie in the sky plan. No private company is going to buy into that one given the process outlined by the Sjoberg. Sadly, This whole process is starting to look like the mess that Hamilton went through. I bigger joke is that the now defunct Ottawa Rough Riders will have a new stadium before we do and they don't even have a functioning team.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 8:20 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Ottawa has been after a new stadium for quite a bit longer, they are also quite a bit larger then the whole province of Sask let alone Regina. This is in no way a dig, just facts. I wouldn't take it personally if Ottawa does end up with a new stadium first, their ability to support it is higher there.
I'm sure a new stadium will get built in Regina shortly and while it won't be as great as some had hoped, I'm confident it will be great and something the province can be proud of.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 9:57 PM

While it is true that Otawa is a much larger city than Regina, I would argue that Saskatchewan's support for the Riders and various other events and venues, is as a province not just a city, since we do not have the facilities like that of some other cities in Ontario. Ottawa draws major support from the city and immediate surrounding burbs, as does Toronto and Hamilton and there is not a lot of cross pollination. In Saskatchewan fans attend events at Mosaic Stadium, in Regina, from all over the province. In Saskatoon, Credit Union Place, likewise, draws support province wide. So while our base is not as concentrated, it does have similar breadth. Similar scenario might apply to Atlantic provinces in their bid for a stadium and CFL team. The support base would be a regional one as opposed to a municipal one. In addition population base is not the only determining factor. The ability to get people to support venues and events is key. Toronto is the biggest city in Canada and yet their support for the Argos, for example, is probably the lowest in the league.

Last edited by boborider; Dec 19, 2011 at 3:29 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 5:15 AM

I don't know how close Ottawa is to a stadium. My understanding is that the site (landsdown park) is being contested by private developers - has multiple times more development value than stadium value and adjacent to one of the most desirebable neighborhoods in Ottawa (Glebe). I believe the site use is being challenged in court by developers but not sure if its frivilous or what the odds are.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 3:46 PM

This has way more information than media reports about the City's approach and the P3 proposal.

Highlights:
  • there was zero interest form the private sector in an entirely private development and very little interst in private operation.
  • the proposal includes fixed, open or retractable roof options.
  • financing costs would be higher with the P3 but this would be more than offset by other benefits, in particular the transfer of construction risk and maintenance risk.
http://www.regina.ca/opencms/export/...1/CR11-167.pdf

Last edited by Stormer; Dec 19, 2011 at 5:26 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 4:45 PM

It will now be interesting to see how much validity there is to Fiacco's claim some months ago that developers and the private sector were running into his office naked, clamoring to get involved. Also I wish they would also step up and quickly make a decision as to what they are going to build. This is starting to look like the process that the plaza went through where they built the plaza and then decided to change the focus ie. traffic or pedestrian or mix, we don't know??? Lets see now ,we want to build something but not sure if it should have a roof, not a roof, a roof later, a convertible or a hard top. Seems to me that the feasibility study previously done should have given them enough info to have made that decision long ago. If not, I guess they are telling us that the study that was done was, in the immortal words of Justin Trudeau, essentially a high priced "piece of sh*t". So I guess we should hear that the next step will be, yet, another feasibility study.

Last edited by boborider; Dec 19, 2011 at 5:13 PM.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 4:48 PM
arf

^Keep hiring external consultants to tell you answers until you get one you like?

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 8:39 PM

Iv just lost all hope for this project and now im unsure if ppl in this city even want anything new built. Its been nothing but complaining about a domed staidum/any project, from the city since the first day. City council is prob like screw it then. After fiacco gets voted out next election (i hope not), there will go our chances on getting any stadium, or for that matter anything new built in our city becuase ppl dont want to think big!!!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougler306 View Post
Iv just lost all hope for this project and now im unsure if ppl in this city even want anything new built. Its been nothing but complaining about a domed staidum/any project, from the city since the first day. City council is prob like screw it then. After fiacco gets voted out next election (i hope not), there will go our chances on getting any stadium, or for that matter anything new built in our city becuase ppl dont want to think big!!!
People actually want to be responsible. We cannot afford a $500m stadium. Plain and simple. Private business wants nothing to do with it. We have to build something Regina sized, not New York sized.

Thinking big has nothing to do with it. Some of us don't want to saddle our grandkids with a white elephant.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boborider View Post
This is starting to look like the process that the plaza went through where they built the plaza and then decided to change the focus ie. traffic or pedestrian or mix, we don't know??? Lets see now ,we want to build something but not sure if it should have a roof, not a roof, a roof later, a convertible or a hard top.
Lets see....if this follows the plaza process they will spend an extra $300 million for a retractable roof and once it is built they will discover a couple birds nests inside and decide to leave the roof permanently open to accomodate the birds.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesplease View Post
Lets see....if this follows the plaza process they will spend an extra $300 million for a retractable roof and once it is built they will discover a couple birds nests inside and decide to leave the roof permanently open to accomodate the birds.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 1:44 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

I want the pool on the roof.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2011, 4:47 PM

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 4:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
This has way more information than media reports about the City's approach and the P3 proposal.

Highlights:
  • there was zero interest form the private sector in an entirely private development and very little interst in private operation.
  • the proposal includes fixed, open or retractable roof options.
  • financing costs would be higher with the P3 but this would be more than offset by other benefits, in particular the transfer of construction risk and maintenance risk.
http://www.regina.ca/opencms/export/...1/CR11-167.pdf
Interesting stuff. They do have a plan...but obviously it's going to take some time to take it to the next stage. And of course there are still lots of financial question marks, but I guess we just have to be patient.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Premier Wall concerned about cost of possible dome in ReginaGlobal News : Tuesday, December 20, 2011 6:48 PM

Premier Brad Wall expressed concerns on whether a dome stadium is financially feasible.

“I think the indoor one is probably a little expensive, frankly, given the other demands in the province,” Premier Brad Wall said....
http://www.globalregina.com/premier+...237/story.html

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 12:30 PM

You can hear the tide shifting from the lawmakers that a dome isn't politically doable since nobody wants to pay for it. Lets just hope they don't make the foolish mistake to plop a cheapo outdoor stadium on that prime land. Would be the biggest blunder since Cleveland's mistake on the lake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalnews
On Monday night city council voted unanimously to approve a Public-Private Partnership model, which would see the private sector pay for half the price tag.

"We haven't decided whether we'll have a roof or not, and some of the reasons for that is just looking at the financial feasibility,” Deputy City Manager Brent Sjoberg said.

“Roughly speaking, without a roof, it's estimated at $200- to $250M, “Sjoberg explained. “With a roof it's closer to $450M.”

The city says breaking new ground for the stadium is likely a year and a half away, but the next stage will determine the design of the stadium, who will pilot the project, how much it will cost and who will contribute money.
I love how out council approves a bill to be paid without knowing the total of it. I thought I left this nonsense in Toronto coming back home for the holidays lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele75 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/story/?id=383164

Quote:
Mayor Pat Fiacco (fee-AH'-koh) says the partnership would prevent the city from taking on all the risk of cost overruns and other unexpected problems.

No way in hell. Fiacoo is full of it and leaving out key details. I said the only way the P-sector would jump on is if Fiacoo gave them a 2$ Billion dollar plum in development revenues at our expense. As far as them taking on the risks of cost overruns... won't happen. The risk is the main reason the P-sector treats this thing like a dead skunk. I would like to see a more in depth article or hope that Fiacco would be more forthcoming on the details of this plan. He may have sold Regina's future in a backroom without consulting the public at all.. would it surprise me? ... not one bit.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 2:01 PM

Premier Brad Wall said. “But I think the province needs to be there for the project. We want to see it come forward.”
Read it on Global News: Global Regina | Premier Wall concerned about cost of possible dome in Regina

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 3:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefourthtower View Post
Premier Brad Wall said. “But I think the province needs to be there for the project. We want to see it come forward.”
Read it on Global News: Global Regina | Premier Wall concerned about cost of possible dome in Regina

It is good to see that the province needs to be there for this project. The big question is are they going to be there with $100M or something like $25M. I am guessing Wall will offer a set level of contribution and it will be up to Regina to decide if that will go towards a $500M stadium or a $200M stadium.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global News
Premier Brad Wall expressed concerns on whether a dome stadium is financially feasible.
YES. THANK YOU. Now let's go build something that's actually reasonable.

I would think the provincial government would need to contribute significantly more than $100 million though, if a $250-million outdoor stadium is to get built. (Probably will cost that much, once inflation is factored in.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan