HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 12:24 AM

I was hoping for something other than Jersey barriers as well. It seems like they are permanent though.

I wonder if they'll be repaving the bridge deck surface at the end of the project? It would be much nicer to bike/drive on.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Hope the Jersey barriers are temporary though, they really clash with the rest of the design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Doubt the jersey barriers are temporary.
They are new (they removed all the old ones last weekend) and they look custom designed - you can see a curve in the first pic.
Quote:
Would hope for a heritage bridge like this they could have thrown some planters or something more sensitive to the design on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
I was hoping for something other than Jersey barriers as well. It seems like they are permanent though.
yes they are permanent, and yes they are custom made for the bridge.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2017, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Well that's disappointing. Would hope for a heritage bridge like this they could have thrown some planters or something more sensitive to the design on.
Now that you mention it - the corner by the lantern column begs for a planter or a bench (maybe an L-shaped bench)

Quote:

Last edited by officedweller; Feb 4, 2017 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Now that you mention it - the corner by the lantern column begs for a planter or a bench (maybe an L-shaped bench)
A parklet!

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 6:06 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 8:14 PM

I wonder if a BRT or LRT system is distributed into the West End, is there enough capacity to turn Burrard into a BRT/LRT only road, or would we have to build a new bridge (like at Oak St)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
Are there any plans for separated bike lanes in Surrey?
I haven't heard of many - mostly it's about adding lane markings on quieter streets. The only one I can think of is part of the street widening on 100th (it's on here somewhere).

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 11:49 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 9:17 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 12:55 AM

Quote:
They've goes get Ip on that if the want to be a regional centre.
There's hopefully something in the Surrey Centre plan but it's too early for me to be paying attention to all the smaller details. I know planning documents have been posted on here (likely by Shift) that would show current bike route plans.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Seawall cherry trees to come down in South False Creek
City of Vancouver tree removal to make room for separated bike and pedestrian paths east of Granville Island.

Martha Perkins / Vancouver Courier March 3, 2017 09:17 AM

A curving line of 17 cherry blossoms that provide a picture-perfect backdrop for people walking or cycling along the South False Creek seawall will soon be no more.

The city is preparing to remove the trees to make room for separated bike and pedestrian paths east of Granville Island to Charleson Park.

These are the cherry trees that will be removed. - Cate Simpson

http://www.vancourier.com/news/seawa...eek-1.10876087

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 4:18 PM

Saw that article last week. I can't stand the sensationalism and the look of this "advocate". It completely reminds me of the people who stopped the Arbutus greenway from being paved.

FTA:

Quote:
When contacted by the Courier, a representative of the Park Board sent an email which says, “during the design process, a private certified arborist report was commissioned to determine the feasibility of maintaining the cherries at Alder Bay and at Creekside Drive. The study concluded that the trees were in poor condition due to inferior growing environments. The trees are at the end of their life-spans as they have several health issues including bacterial blights and cherry-bark tortrix.

“Through the seawall upgrades, all of the cherries approved for removal will be replaced and planted in superior conditions with ample soil volumes ensuring water and nutrient availability. On a short time horizon, the new cherry trees will grow to be much healthier and robust than the current specimens.”
Emphasis mine.

Anybody who has used that part of the seawall on a regular basis knows it's an awkward area that is cramped and potentially dangerous with cyclist/pedestrian interactions.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Anybody who has used that part of the seawall on a regular basis knows it's an awkward area that is cramped and potentially dangerous with cyclist/pedestrian interactions.
I just hope they get rid of those awful flagstones and paving stones from that section. My late wife hated being bumped over those things when I took her wheelchair along the seawall, and they're annoying when I bike there too.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:17 AM

Personally, I think they could improve the surface there while retaining the trees.

If Granville Street or other areas are an indication, the replacement trees will be saplings and subject to high mortality themselves.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 3:38 AM

As someone who lives in the Fairview Slopes, I am left wondering how my family and I could have such a polar opposite experience to the woman from the article. 7th and Oak was terrible for pedestrians/cyclists before, and the new intersection, to me, is a vast improvement.

With regards to the Seawall, I always felt like it was a really cramped walking path, with barely enough room for two people to walk abreast. So I am highly supportive of the changes that are being implemented.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 6:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
As someone who lives in the Fairview Slopes, I am left wondering how my family and I could have such a polar opposite experience to the woman from the article. 7th and Oak was terrible for pedestrians/cyclists before, and the new intersection, to me, is a vast improvement.

With regards to the Seawall, I always felt like it was a really cramped walking path, with barely enough room for two people to walk abreast. So I am highly supportive of the changes that are being implemented.
Hey Feathered Friend, do you think you could post a pic or two of the improvements at 7th and Oak? I keep forgetting about that upgrade, and would love to see how it turned out.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 3:56 AM

Oak St and 7th Ave. cycling spot improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancanadian View Post
Hey Feathered Friend, do you think you could post a pic or two of the improvements at 7th and Oak? I keep forgetting about that upgrade, and would love to see how it turned out.
My photos - Taken on 7 March:

The lousy weather has slowed progress for the last couple months. There are two new LED streetlights, and it looks like there's a hook up for a third pole on the west side of the bike crossing. My guilty pleasure the last couple months has been seeing how many cars ignore the road closure signs only to have to turn around when then get to the dead end at Oak.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Are there any plans for separated bike lanes in Surrey?
The only one I know about is the one on 105A. Its been built. Not very good in my opinion as cars can drive into it when turning right. They also park in it. They need to improve it quite a lot.

http://www.surrey.ca/city-services/16519.aspx

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
My photos - Taken on 7 March:
The lousy weather has slowed progress for the last couple months. There are two new LED streetlights, and it looks like there's a hook up for a third pole on the west side of the bike crossing. My guilty pleasure the last couple months has been seeing how many cars ignore the road closure signs only to have to turn around when then get to the dead end at Oak.
Thanks so much! It's looking great. Should be similar to the Union bikeway at Hawks Avenue or Point Grey at Tatlow Park.

These small improvements can make a huge difference. They're arguably even better for pedestrians than cyclists.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 7:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxItYourself View Post
The only one I know about is the one on 105A. Its been built. Not very good in my opinion as cars can drive into it when turning right. They also park in it. They need to improve it quite a lot.

The new City Centre plan calls for several more separated bike lanes to create a decent network. I think 105A Avenue was considered a "trial run" so hopefully Surrey learns from it's mistakes as it moves forward. 105A will literally see redevelopment along almost its entire length so what's built is effectively temporary anyway.

Here's a map from the City Centre plan. The pink dotted lines are where you'll see the separated lanes. Planning for new developments along these streets already includes the bike lanes in their drawings (of the ones I've seen).

City of Surrey

Also the upcoming widening of 100 Avenue through Green Timbers Park includes separated bike lanes.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxItYourself View Post

As urbancanadian noted, the expansion of 100 Ave is including separated bike lanes, as is the expansion of Bridgeview Drive between the SFPR and King George. Separated bike lanes is the new standard for the City, at least Downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure