HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Feb 27, 2016, 4:14 PM

The Barn is looking almost done!! I'm pretty excited to see this finished. Most interesting architecture in the are for a while.

Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofFrost View Post
The Barn is looking almost done!! I'm pretty excited to see this finished. Most interesting architecture in the are for a while.
Agreed! Now if only there was more around it than dirt lots.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 3:40 PM

https://www.cityofwestsacramento.org...p?BlobID=12590

Construction is underway for this project. Formerly called "Riveredge".

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 4:07 PM

https://www.cityofwestsacramento.org...p?BlobID=12591

The Bridge District's Riveredge started construction yesterday now called "West" according to the Sacramento Business News.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamehameha View Post
https://www.cityofwestsacramento.org...p?BlobID=12591

The Bridge District's Riveredge started construction yesterday now called "West" according to the Sacramento Business News.
Oh wow, something on the riverfront is finally getting built over there! A little shorter than what we hope for, but seems like that 4-5 story stuff is what's going in the River District. Still want to see a high rise hotel or something go in next to the bridge or south of there

Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 4:20 PM

Are you 100% sure that it's the Riveredge plot though? I could have sworn the dirt being moved was one plot to the south, but I could be wrong I was just eyeballing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
Oh wow, something on the riverfront is finally getting built over there! A little shorter than what we hope for, but seems like that 4-5 story stuff is what's going in the River District. Still want to see a high rise hotel or something go in next to the bridge or south of there
The two plots fronting the river walk and Tower Bridge Gateway must have great design. Those are such signature pieces of land we cannot let a 5 story stucco blah go up there. Luckily I think the city of West Sac agrees.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2016, 4:20 PM

Medium sized cruise ships for the Port of West Sac.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2016/...star-game-bid/

Old Posted Oct 29, 2016, 6:29 PM

I'd prefer all almost anything to dirt and weeds. I'm wondering if the height has anything to do with protecting the views within Raley Field? Didn't read the article but it looks like a parking garage in the rear. What will be on the other side of the street?

Old Posted Feb 8, 2017, 6:45 PM

I got a letter in the mail yesterday stating that this project in the Bridge District will be breaking ground within the next month. Adjacent to the Park Moderns and Rivermark apartment building.

http://www.cityofwestsacramento.org/...p?BlobID=13191

Quote:
The phase 2 apartment development proposes 55 units in a massing of 2-4 stories of residential above parking. The majority of the units will be studio or 1 bedroom apartments, with the smallest units being 357 square feet. The 2 story portion of the building is located directly adjacent to the single family townhomes while the 4 story portion is located on the northern half of the lot along Bridge Street. The design includes an interior courtyard and balconies along Central and Bridge Street. The materials include brick veneer, dark grey/black shingle cladding, as well as grey and white plaster. The design review for the project was approved on April 22, 2016.

Also, just random, but I think the City of West Sac is building a public parking lot directly across Bridge St from this project. I'm assuming it's for Barn events and what not.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 6:40 AM

I've seen a few different areas in the River District look to be getting ready for construction. Good to see that being filled in because what's there now seems too much like an island.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 12:58 AM

A few changes coming to the Barn:

https://www.cityofwestsacramento.org...p?BlobID=14726

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 5:05 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
The proposed addition looks horrible and really distracts from the Barn. The city of West Sacramento really didn't think this one through.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 5:06 PM

I drove through the River District yesterday, I had seen construction on the lot at 5th and Bridge Street (across from the Rivermark) and was thinking they were putting up another midrise housing there, but what did I see there instead? A PARKING LOT! Not even a parking structure, just an ugly, huge, flat parking lot like you'd see in front of a big box store. What the hell!? Doesn't this go against the land use plan for the area, does anyone else have details? What a waste of space, and right when people get off the freeway there too.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2017, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAGeoNerd View Post
I drove through the River District yesterday, I had seen construction on the lot at 5th and Bridge Street (across from the Rivermark) and was thinking they were putting up another midrise housing there, but what did I see there instead? A PARKING LOT! Not even a parking structure, just an ugly, huge, flat parking lot like you'd see in front of a big box store. What the hell!? Doesn't this go against the land use plan for the area, does anyone else have details? What a waste of space, and right when people get off the freeway there too.
So I live in the area and here's my take. I missed the City Council meetings when this came up a month or two ago but from what I've heard here's how I understand it-

There have been a lot of issues with parking in the area. Parking regulations in TBD are stricter than any part of San Francisco I've ever seen. Many streets have different parking time limits and regulations. Also, the Rivermark and Habitat apartment buildings don't even have 1 dedicated space in their garages for the units they have (ideally this is great on smart growth principles but hasn't been working out well in reality as most people still have 1-2 cars). Many cars have remained parked for days around Garden Park and on adjacent side streets. Signs say 2 hour limit but apartment residents up until recently could get a city parking permit that would allow them park on the street indefinitely. Couple that with events at the Barn and Raley Field and public street parking can be near impossible to find on certain days. And since Garden Park is a city park, the city (understandably) wants to have better accessibility for anyone who wants to enjoy it.

In the 2 years I've lived there the city has changed the parking restrictions and permit eligibility at least 3 times and has caused a lot of confusion. Additionally, if you don't have a city permit, the longest amount of time you can park anywhere from Raley Field to south of the Pioneer Bridge is 2 hours (enforced 24 hours). Which normally isn't an issue for many unless you are having a party or friends over. Asking people to move their cars every 2 hours (if they can even find a spot to move to) is a little ridiculous. I hosted a birthday party for a friend last year and ended up shelling out over $200 to pay for some friends who had gotten parking tickets while at my house because I didn't want them to have to run out every two hours to move their cars. The closest public parking longer than 2 hours is at the Crocker Art Museum, a mile walk away on the other side of the river. A lot of the neighbors have been upset because we were sold the homes and told "these are great for entertaining". Great for entertaining but you just can't have more than 4 people over at a time for longer than 2 hours. I do have quite a few friends in and around Midtown that will just take Uber over. But realistically, friends and family coming from Rocklin, Cameron Park, Vacaville... just don't use Uber nor would I expect them to.

So my impression is that there has been a lot of confusion, frustration, anger, etc for folks living in and around the Bridge District. Like I mentioned before the City's keeps changing parking requirements every few months and no one knew what streets had street parking, who could park there, and for how long. Their answer to this was to essentially revoke all residents parking permits. All streets in the TBD will now be 2 or 3 hour parking, enforced 24 hours (many streets with meters), and no parking permits allowed. Folks living in the Rivermark and Habitat buildings can now purchase a monthly parking permit for the parking lot the city just built. Home owners will also be allowed a limited number of temporary guest parking permits for the lot twice a month for events and parties. Over that, guests will just park in the lot and pay. And people who drive to events at the Barn will have to park and pay there if you plan to stay over 2 hours.

That being said, I do know that this is the City's temporary solution. The parking lot is NOT permanent. The lot they built on is several years out from planned development and it'll eventually be built upon. So I agree it sucks now (I sighed the day I realized what they were building), but it won't be forever.

In my mind this is kind of a chicken vs egg situation. Most of us who live there moved there for the urban location and want an urban, car-limited environment- we all walk, bike, and uber as much as we can. I love walking to G1C and Raley Field, biking to weekend coffee at Bean and Barrel, and ubering to midtown to meet up with friends. Sometimes this is just not feasible or realistic though. And until infrastructure catches up with the increasing rooftops- ie, more bus connections, street car, a closer river crossing, closer grocery and amenities (let's face it, those houses are out in the middle of "nowhere" right now), I think parking and cars in the district will continue to be a reality for the near-term.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2017, 12:30 AM
Hindrance to Development

West Sacramento's waterfront has been waiting on a streetcar system for the past decade--without a fixed-rail transit system, it will inevitably become a car-centric neighborhood with token "urban" features--the parking lots they are building now will simply be too valuable to build upon. Transportation infrastructure is the biggest driver of urban form; without an urban infrastructure (which generally means rail transit) you'll end up with something like North Natomas, where transit-oriented/walkable neighborhoods were envisioned in the plan but impossible to build without the rail network already being present.

Old Posted May 1, 2017, 6:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
So I live in the area and here's my take. I missed the City Council meetings when this came up a month or two ago but from what I've heard here's how I understand it-

There have been a lot of issues with parking in the area. Parking regulations in TBD are stricter than any part of San Francisco I've ever seen. Many streets have different parking time limits and regulations. Also, the Rivermark and Habitat apartment buildings don't even have 1 dedicated space in their garages for the units they have (ideally this is great on smart growth principles but hasn't been working out well in reality as most people still have 1-2 cars). Many cars have remained parked for days around Garden Park and on adjacent side streets. Signs say 2 hour limit but apartment residents up until recently could get a city parking permit that would allow them park on the street indefinitely. Couple that with events at the Barn and Raley Field and public street parking can be near impossible to find on certain days. And since Garden Park is a city park, the city (understandably) wants to have better accessibility for anyone who wants to enjoy it.

In the 2 years I've lived there the city has changed the parking restrictions and permit eligibility at least 3 times and has caused a lot of confusion. Additionally, if you don't have a city permit, the longest amount of time you can park anywhere from Raley Field to south of the Pioneer Bridge is 2 hours (enforced 24 hours). Which normally isn't an issue for many unless you are having a party or friends over. Asking people to move their cars every 2 hours (if they can even find a spot to move to) is a little ridiculous. I hosted a birthday party for a friend last year and ended up shelling out over $200 to pay for some friends who had gotten parking tickets while at my house because I didn't want them to have to run out every two hours to move their cars. The closest public parking longer than 2 hours is at the Crocker Art Museum, a mile walk away on the other side of the river. A lot of the neighbors have been upset because we were sold the homes and told "these are great for entertaining". Great for entertaining but you just can't have more than 4 people over at a time for longer than 2 hours. I do have quite a few friends in and around Midtown that will just take Uber over. But realistically, friends and family coming from Rocklin, Cameron Park, Vacaville... just don't use Uber nor would I expect them to.

So my impression is that there has been a lot of confusion, frustration, anger, etc for folks living in and around the Bridge District. Like I mentioned before the City's keeps changing parking requirements every few months and no one knew what streets had street parking, who could park there, and for how long. Their answer to this was to essentially revoke all residents parking permits. All streets in the TBD will now be 2 or 3 hour parking, enforced 24 hours (many streets with meters), and no parking permits allowed. Folks living in the Rivermark and Habitat buildings can now purchase a monthly parking permit for the parking lot the city just built. Home owners will also be allowed a limited number of temporary guest parking permits for the lot twice a month for events and parties. Over that, guests will just park in the lot and pay. And people who drive to events at the Barn will have to park and pay there if you plan to stay over 2 hours.

That being said, I do know that this is the City's temporary solution. The parking lot is NOT permanent. The lot they built on is several years out from planned development and it'll eventually be built upon. So I agree it sucks now (I sighed the day I realized what they were building), but it won't be forever.

In my mind this is kind of a chicken vs egg situation. Most of us who live there moved there for the urban location and want an urban, car-limited environment- we all walk, bike, and uber as much as we can. I love walking to G1C and Raley Field, biking to weekend coffee at Bean and Barrel, and ubering to midtown to meet up with friends. Sometimes this is just not feasible or realistic though. And until infrastructure catches up with the increasing rooftops- ie, more bus connections, street car, a closer river crossing, closer grocery and amenities (let's face it, those houses are out in the middle of "nowhere" right now), I think parking and cars in the district will continue to be a reality for the near-term.
But there are a ton of lots all around there, why put that parking lot in one of most prominent spots, why not on the south side of those houses out there, or to the west in that empty lot. Most of these areas are just dirt lots and used for parking for Raley Field events. And fyi, I drove by there today for the heck of it and not a single car in it. I don't know if it's still curing or not open yet, but only cars I saw were parked on the street. It's just disappointing and I'd bet like wburg said it's going to be hard to building something in that spot since now that paved parking lot is so valuable.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 1:52 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
West Sacramento's waterfront has been waiting on a streetcar system for the past decade--without a fixed-rail transit system, it will inevitably become a car-centric neighborhood
West Sacramento (specifically the Triangle) lacks the population density (for that matter the population) to justify a rail system there. Federal, State and local governments need to spend scarce transportation dollars more wisely. I'm not sure that includes a high cost trolley for the Triangle.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 4:50 AM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
West Sacramento (specifically the Triangle) lacks the population density (for that matter the population) to justify a rail system there. Federal, State and local governments need to spend scarce transportation dollars more wisely. I'm not sure that includes a high cost trolley for the Triangle.
The way it works is, you build the transportation network first, and the neighborhood's built environment reflects the transportation network. If you build a car-centric transportation system and let the neighborhood fill around it, you end up with car-centric population densities (that is to say, low.) If you build an urban transportation network first (such as streetcar), with limited room for cars and giant parking lots, the urban environment that fills in around it is different--higher densities are facilitated by the transit network, which in turn promotes walkability. In the case of streetcar systems, growth is best facilitated by connecting an already dense neighborhood to a less-dense neighborhood where new growth is expected--with traffic-generating destinations like employers, transit connections and entertainment on the route Thus, we have one end in Midtown (dense) and the other in West Sacramento (less dense but growing), running through the River District, Downtown and the Railyards (not yet dense but zoned for high density) past a whole lot of downtown jobs and two sports facilities.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 2:20 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
The way it works is, you build the transportation network first, and the neighborhood's built environment reflects the transportation network. If you build a car-centric transportation system and let the neighborhood fill around it, you end up with car-centric population densities (that is to say, low.) If you build an urban transportation network first (such as streetcar), with limited room for cars and giant parking lots, the urban environment that fills in around it is different--higher densities are facilitated by the transit network, which in turn promotes walkability. In the case of streetcar systems, growth is best facilitated by connecting an already dense neighborhood to a less-dense neighborhood where new growth is expected--with traffic-generating destinations like employers, transit connections and entertainment on the route Thus, we have one end in Midtown (dense) and the other in West Sacramento (less dense but growing), running through the River District, Downtown and the Railyards (not yet dense but zoned for high density) past a whole lot of downtown jobs and two sports facilities.

I understand what you're saying, however it doesn't sound like a financially responsible way to spend scarce transit dollars. A perfect example is the green line which was an expensive and ill timed investment that is a money drain on RT. Nobody rides it and there just isn't enough population in Township 9 / Richards Blvd to justify that line yet. Sacramento's RT trains may be one of the worst planned light rail systems in the nation. As far as the streetcar, I believe it would be beneficial in the downtown / midtown area but looping it into West Sacramento will be a waste of money at this point.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 3:22 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
I understand what you're saying, however it doesn't sound like a financially responsible way to spend scarce transit dollars. A perfect example is the green line which was an expensive and ill timed investment that is a money drain on RT. Nobody rides it and there just isn't enough population in Township 9 / Richards Blvd to justify that line yet. Sacramento's RT trains may be one of the worst planned light rail systems in the nation. As far as the streetcar, I believe it would be beneficial in the downtown / midtown area but looping it into West Sacramento will be a waste of money at this point.
What if West Sacramento was putting up considerably more money than the city of Sacramento? That way, they're taking on a greater burden of the risk and expense of the system, and Sacramento gets a transit line where it is most needed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area