HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 8:05 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Looks like the official numbering of floors changed for this one as well...
http://www.wtc.com/about/office-tower-3
Again, it's not a design change, just a change in the way they're numbering the floors. Let's not get anyone excited here, these buildings were finalized three years ago. They can't make dramatic changes this late in the game without impacting all of the interrelated infrastructure. That would mean delays, and that simply cannot happen at the WTC any more. No more delays has essentially been Chris Ward's mission statement.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 9:22 PM
DENNAB

It is a height increase if hte roof height is now 1170,

however yes, it is likely that 9 floors weren't actually added, rather they took the Tower 1 approach and left out a few floors.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 2:21 AM
Because I'm Clever!

At this point, I'm highly skeptical of anything they just put on that site. It's been poorly edited and vague. They might well mean that they reduced or removed the spires, given the absence of their mention. I don't think they did, but read the page and it can be interpreted that way.

I am more uncertain about this building than Tower 2, since I've never gotten my hands on the most recent blueprints. So until we have more info, I'm assuming typo.

Last edited by STR; Mar 22, 2011 at 2:37 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 1:37 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Again, it's not a design change
I never speculated a design change either, just a change in the official numbering of the floors, and height differences in all of the towers. All of the official wtc updates are posted on wtc.com, where those latest numbers come from. They are not major differences, but they are there. This tower also seems to have more space available on the trading floors.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 7:48 PM
DENNAB

cool, I guess this means the pinnacles are now 1270'

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 7:48 PM
Because I'm Clever!

55,000 is gross sqft. 63,000 is rentable sqft. I'm not sure what the distinction is in New York real estate law, but I'd guess that GSF is the floor plate, including shared amenities (toilets, hallways) and utilities (voids for elevator shafts, electrical closets), while RSF is GSF plus a proportional share of the mechanical floors, which is why it's bigger than the actual floor plate. I've got fairly recent floor diagrams of this building, so I know what the physical dimensions are with enough accuracy. I don't have any elevations, so I cannot shed much light on the change in that number.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 12:23 AM
Grand is Golden!

I agree with whoever said that 3WTC's design has a flaw. I don't really like the X shaped exoskeleton, nor do I like the facade style.

I mean, no other building has that style, and it looks funny.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Architect View Post
I agree with whoever said that 3WTC's design has a flaw. I don't really like the X shaped exoskeleton, nor do I like the facade style.

well think about this, these style's were never done before in their time. Architecture's evolution and change in style is what makes it great and keeps architecture interesting.

http://www.toms-travels.net/wp-conte...09/seagram.jpg

http://www.weatherpattern.com/wp-con...r_house_sm.jpg

http://www.inetours.com/New_York/Images/UN/UN_8874.jpg

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 2:24 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
cool, I guess this means the pinnacles are now 1270'
This one has had the most conflicting numbers, so I have no idea. When it was first revealed, the tower was 1,155 ft to parapet, topped by the 4 one hundred ft spires. Then it was dropped back to 1,140 and 1,147. And it's also probably the one that had the most potential changes, because we do know that Silverstein flirted with building a larger, taller tower on site, even pausing work at the site, with the Port Authority's blessing, just in case. (That was for potential tenant Merril Lynch, and we know what happened with that).

Of course, Silverstein went ahead with plans for the smaller tower when he couldn't get Merrill Lynch to make a headquarters there.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 4:51 AM
Because I'm Clever!

I haven't changed the 3WTC model. I'm waiting for more info to come out.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 1:54 AM
BROOKLYN

^^^ What more info do you need? Just curious.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 3:31 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Is 1,170 the roof? The parapet? The spires? An addition to the penthouse? An extra floor (one more office floors is within the realm of reason, though unlikely)? An error? If it's the roof, were the spires affected? Vice versa? Due to the X-braces, altering this model could be potentially very time consuming, so I'm not doing jack without clarification.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 3:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
I haven't changed the 3WTC model. I'm waiting for more info to come out.
That's probably for the best. I'm not so certain we have had to exact figures, though every change is probably closer to what we'll get. Why they keep changing the info is another matter though.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 4:42 PM
Editor

I requested the height and floor speculations to an old friend of mine who works for CTBUH. He has excellent contacts. I will post the response when I hear back. For now, we have to wait.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 8:12 AM
DENNAB

it looks small compared to the old north tower.

Just curious, STR would you be able to do new renders with the new 1170 and 1429 figures of the towers just assuming they are correct?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 2:33 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
it looks small compared to the old north tower.
A lot of thins look small compared to the old north tower.

Quote:
Just curious, STR would you be able to do new renders with the new 1170 and 1429 figures of the towers just assuming they are correct?
He already stated he's waiting for more info. That's fine. A little imagination and you can already see it.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 8:43 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
A lot of thins look small compared to the old north tower.

true, 1170 to the roof would put this tower 200 feet lower, very tall but it would be nice if there were two towers that could about match the height of the old twins. So if tower 2 does turn out 1350/1430 that would not look small next to the twins, and neither does tower one so I think that would be a great skyline restorer. Basically, the supposed extra height is just the right amount.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 8:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:
true, 1170 to the roof would put this tower 200 feet lower, very tall but it would be nice if there were two towers that could about match the height of the old twins. So if tower 2 does turn out 1350/1430 that would not look small next to the twins, and neither does tower one so I think that would be a great skyline restorer. Basically, the supposed extra height is just the right amount.
It's funny how a 400m building is now dwarfed by all the 600+m buildings going up all over Asia. The twins could now be considered skyscrapers rather than super-talls.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 11:46 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
It's funny how a 400m building is now dwarfed by all the 600+m buildings going up all over Asia. The twins could now be considered skyscrapers rather than super-talls.
Just because a small handful of 2000 foot towers exist in Asia doesn't mean that 1000-1400 foot towers are not supertalls

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 12:15 AM
Frigidus Maximus

Originally Posted by The Grand Architect

HUH???

I ❤️ NY

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive