HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 4:28 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
That's a Calatrava, isn't it? Beautiful. More then any other architect, I think that Calatrava creates things that look more like works of art then buildings.
If by "art" you mean pretentious, overpriced edifices that in no way relate to their surroundings, then yes.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 5:34 AM

Is that Graffiti I see on the top-right side of the slurry wall? Was that there before 9/11 or after?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 5:40 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Well, that's the Hudson Terminal section of the wall, so it's had 100 years to get tagged. It was integrated into the WTC and not accessible to the public since the 1971 closure of the original terminal and the opening of the WTC PATH station roughly a block to the west.

So, my guess is after.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 5:45 AM

Thumbs down

Wow, I thought they resurfaced that wall after 9/11. Wasn't this section hard-hit as well or did it remain intact after the collapse of the towers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
Well, that's the Hudson Terminal section of the wall, so it's had 100 years to get tagged.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 5:47 AM

Call me crazy, but I like the Calatrava hub in relation to the WTC. Probably the only time I've enjoyed his work.

Kind of like Gehry.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 6:34 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winlinmac001 View Post
Wow, I thought they resurfaced that wall after 9/11. Wasn't this section hard-hit as well or did it remain intact after the collapse of the towers?
There was no structural damage this far east of the towers that far underground. Recall, that 5 World Trade and a section of 4 World Trade were still standing above ground in this area.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 6:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
If by "art" you mean pretentious, overpriced edifices that in no way relate to their surroundings, then yes.
The only pretentious thing on here is you, STR.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 9:12 AM
Because I'm Clever!

If you're going to get butthurt over someone having an opinion different from yours, you could at least try to couch it in a rationale. You can't, because there really isn't an argument that the thing isn't a monument to Calatrava's ego. It in no way relates to its surroundings. It is a semi-brutalist stegosaurus dropped from heaven into a collection of geometric glass buildings. It's why some people think Tower 3 is over textured, as Rogers tried vainly to bridge the stegosaurus with the other buildings.

On top of that, it's had to be redesigned twice for being ridiculously expensive. It won't even be that big, the official renders are extremely misleading on the interior size. It's rather indefensible all around.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 1:37 PM

Thumbs down

A little off-topic, but are they going to resurface that wall? There seem to be many dents, holes, and cracks on those walls. Is Tower 3 suppose to conceal that or is the side of that wall going to serve as a pathway leading into the Transportation hub?

Quote:
There was no structural damage this far east of the towers that far underground. Recall, that 5 World Trade and a section of 4 World Trade were still standing above ground in this area.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 3:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
If you're going to get butthurt over someone having an opinion different from yours, you could at least try to couch it in a rationale. You can't, because there really isn't an argument that the thing isn't a monument to Calatrava's ego. It in no way relates to its surroundings. It is a semi-brutalist stegosaurus dropped from heaven into a collection of geometric glass buildings. It's why some people think Tower 3 is over textured, as Rogers tried vainly to bridge the stegosaurus with the other buildings.

On top of that, it's had to be redesigned twice for being ridiculously expensive. It won't even be that big, the official renders are extremely misleading on the interior size. It's rather indefensible all around.
No, you're the one with the hurt butt whenever ANYONE disagrees with your opinions because you think you're right. Architecture is a matter of OPINION. To sit there and defend your opinion and then call other people's INDEFENSIBLE as if it's some kind of FACT, is wrong.

I'm sorry for the off-topic argument, but someone needs to take note of your interaction with other forumers and their opinions because it's really getting out of hand. I'm so sick of reading your patronizing responses to differing opinions that drip in self-righteousness, and your latest post is a blatant example of what I'm talking about.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 4:06 PM
JACKinBeantown

Gentlemen, gentlemen... pretentious opinions for some, miniature American flags for others. I can see valid points in both of your arguments about Calatrava's design for the transit station. But isn't this a 3WTC thread?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don098 View Post
The only pretentious thing on here is you, STR.
disagree, what would we do with out those incredible renders?

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 5:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Keep the topic of discussion on tower 3, and play nice so multiple posts won't have to be deleted.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 8:02 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
What kind of reaction do you expect when replying like that? You were obviously instigating him STR...

Sorry to the mods

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 9:20 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
What kind of reaction do you expect when replying like that? You were obviously instigating him STR...
No and an explanation why not is in your PM inbox.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 4:01 AM

Thumbs down

@STR,
A little off-topic, but are they going to resurface that wall? There seem to be many dents, holes, and cracks on those walls. Is Tower 3 suppose to conceal that or is the side of that wall going to serve as a pathway leading into the Transportation hub?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 4:45 AM
Because I'm Clever!

The public isn't going to see bare concrete when everything is done, if that's what you're asking.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 2:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
No and an explanation why not is in your PM inbox.
Thank you, and the rest of you continue to use your PM boxes. Anything further is out.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 5:38 PM

Thumbs down

Are construction workers going to repave that portion before sealing them up permanently as Tower's 2 & 3 rise?

Quote:
The public isn't going to see bare concrete when everything is done, if that's what you're asking.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 5:58 PM
Because I'm Clever!

It's a concrete wall, there really isn't anything to seal. They'll cap over the tie-backs like they've already done near Tower 2, but I doubt they'll resurface a wall that will only be seen by workers and building engineers that should be too busy working to notice the non-uniformity of a retaining wall. Any public portions will get a marble facade like the rest of the concourse.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive