HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 12:15 AM

Oh, this too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grand Architect View Post
If you would read my earlier post quoted here:

As you can see, I only disapprove of the facade. NYguy, I am more concerned with the facade style, not what the building looks like as a whole. Forget spires and slanted tops, they are fine.

But what bothers me is how the facade looks among the building and with the other buildings surrounding it. That is why I added a recommondation here a few posts earlier:
Seriously, Grand Architect is spot-on, all the way. You rock, Grand Architect.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
you can agree with him all you like, but I think both of you are just wrong. The diamonds are beautiful.
Wait, don't get me wrong. Diamonds are totally beautiful and the diamond appearance in a lot of the renderings is quite beautiful. Basically I wanted to make the point that first of all, reinforcement has parts to do with the building of the structure itself and other parts to what of that need to be revealed to the general public. SOME structural reinforcement design elements that are of relevance mainly to the building of the tower and are things that should be shared only amongst the architects. The fact that the building HAS very strong reinforcement is actually something that ought to be very, very clear to the public and anyone else who walks by it and I suppose that's why I was leaning toward the "glass curtain" idea of it, where the general public doesn't actually see the stark outlines of it. It goes without saying that nothing is hidden amongst the architects, exactly, once they get their information together and are able to work on the blueprints together in a mutually lucid way. (Right?)

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 5:27 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
you can agree with him all you like, but I think both of you are just wrong. The diamonds are beautiful.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and a few may not like this tower. Every great work of art has it's critics, that's something you can count on. However, you can rest assured that this will stand out as probably the most dynamic of the new WTC towers, in no small part due to the x-bracing that allows it to stand out from its peers. The other WTC towers more or less need to be seen as a whole to fully appreciate or distinguish their design, while this one does not.

http://www.richardrogers.co.uk/work/..._street/design

Quote:
The design of the structure of 175 Greenwich Street, as expressed by the mainframe of the east and west elevations, gives a clearly defined and legible form to the building.

The external supporting structure is a load-sharing diagonal element on a 16-storey module that also emphasises the verticality of the tower. This divides into a finer grain at the corner elements.

All four corners of the tower are expressed in the same way with the use of symmetrical hangers with diagonal and vertical elements. The hung corners, divided into four-storey segments, liberate the floorplate edges creating column-free corners within the office spaces of the tower.

Two set-backs are created to achieve variation on the floorplate size higher up in the building. The height of the ‘shoulder’ at the southern corner has been defined in relationship to its proximity to Tower 4 at 150 Greenwich Street – and as a response to the way in which it is cut back – thereby making an architectural gesture towards the Freedom Tower diagonally opposite. This achieves a greater separation between the different towers as well as enhanced views for occupiers at higher levels.

... 175 Greenwich Street is also distinguished from the designs of the surrounding buildings by its antennae, which add height and by day and night give the building a distinctive profile when viewed both in the local context and at a distance as part of the Manhattan skyline.

Th antennae act as light beacons during hours of darkness which will complement the light sources emanating from the top of the Freedom Tower and the other towers around the sight.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 1:56 PM
BROOKLYN

Woah, thats a great render. I don't know why I like it so much.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 5:44 PM

Crane erection today for tower three.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highriseologist View Post
Crane erection today for tower three.
exciting news. does this take place on-site? Is the site sufficiently prepared or does it need more groundwork?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 10:48 PM
Honored Member

I wish to see visual aids. The tower crane bases cant be set poured and cured so soon . (We need proof ! Your word alone is not enough.)
Photo by GreenwichBoy over at WNY.

I stand corrected, and am happy that I am wrong.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Apr 3, 2011 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 10:52 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

this is one heck of a building........1 wtc as we know is the centerpiece, but this one along with 2 wtc and 4 wtc are all special in their own way...

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 11:27 PM
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
I wish to see visual aids. The tower crane bases cant be set poured and cured so soon . (We need proof ! Your word alone is not enough.)
Can you not just ask a question with any sense of polite civility?

Allow me to translate how a person without the Douchebag Gene and good manners would have posed that question:

"That is great news. I'd really like to see some pictures for verification. I didn't think the site was quite ready for the crane. Did you have the chance to take some pictures for us?"

Or you could go to the Discovery Webcam and look for yourself without being rude to anyone.

(Close-up zoom of screen capture from Discovery Webcam found here: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/the-risi...ctures-02.html )

Last edited by Traynor; Apr 3, 2011 at 2:51 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 11:41 PM
Honored Member

Traynor, you are not my wife, she is alot hotter, but you are right.

We all need some more grace.

Tower Three is getting tower cranes !!!!!!!!!!

That is what is important. (Not all the ego silliness.)

Highriseologist, you have my humblest apology, welcome to the forum Dude.

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Apr 3, 2011 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 1:01 AM

Quote:

Traynor, you are not my wife, she is alot hotter, but you are right.

We all need some more grace.

Tower Three is getting tower cranes !!!!!!!!!!

That is what is important. (Not all the ego silliness.)

Highriseologist, you have my humblest apology, welcome to the forum Dude.
Only one crane for now

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 1:10 AM
Honored Member

At the rate they are going the second will be in place soon.

Let me reiterate that I am so happy to be wrong.

I do not know everthing and sometimes I forget that.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 1:13 AM

It never occurred to me something like this would happen the way it is and even when I suppose there was so much news I just wasn't seeing it. Everything I am looking at about this right now has made me touched and amazed and awed in a way I didn't even know was possible. Right now I suppose I am just struggling to find some way to say how exceptionally beautiful every little thing about it is. You'll look at the renderings and photographs and think how beautiful they are and you'll dream about what building it might look like, and maybe in a weird way that makes it possible to fully understand the reality of it, but I don't think it has fully set in until now how incredible and beautiful all of the pieces of the design are, and that behind it is an architectural equivalent of Stephen Hawking.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 1:22 AM
Honored Member

Stephen Hawking may disagree. I'm sure there is some mathematical or universal flaw in the design that us mere humans have not seen.

Speaking as a mere human, I think the overall WTC design is great.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 2:48 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traynor View Post
Can you not just ask a question with any sense of polite civility?

Allow me to translate how a person without the Doucebag Gene and good manners would have posed that question:

"That is great news. I'd really like to see some pictures for verification. I didn't think the site was quite ready for the crane. Did you have the chance to take some pictures for us?"

Or you could go to the Discovery Webcam and look for yourself without being rude to anyone.

(Close-up zoom of screen capture from Discovery Webcam found here: http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/the-risi...ctures-02.html )
Yes, that is great news. And we're all here for the same reason... appreciation of skyscrapers. I for one know that most people in my actual life don't quite understand the fascination, so I'm fortunate to have all you other junkies to share the thrill.

And by the way, Traynor... it's spelled "douchebag."

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Speaking as a mere human, I think the overall WTC design is great.
as another mere human, I think the overalll WTC design is great too. I think it'll be good. It's come far enough along at this point where, design errors or no, there's the potential to identify them and get them straightened out before they affect construction too much. That's probably more a matter of having sharp eyes on the team to notice them and point them out when another member can do their part to fix them. I mean, there's a team on this one I think. Even if the main architect's a "stephen hawking" (a reference to Daniel Burnham or other great architect would have been more appropriate if the other poster just wanted to express admiration for the architect, perhaps; it certainly seems to me that he's a brilliant one), he'll have an easier time of it if someone's able to help him out with stuff like this while photocopying blueprints.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 3:35 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 2:33 PM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

doesn't get any better then that.....thanks for the great pics....

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 3:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-TOWERS View Post
doesn't get any better then that.......
You can see perfectly from that rendering what makes this one the most unique among the WTC and the rest of New York.
Here it is again (2, 3 and 4 are visible)...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 8:31 PM

I didn't delete any of Traynor's offensive posts so people here can see exactly what kind of talk will get you into exactly what kind of trouble. Call anybody a "douchebag" and we'll show them the door. Everyone who responded to Traynor's rant, I sort of agree with you, but please don't feed the trolls by contributing to the flame war.

STR, your new sunset renders look awesome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive