HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Three World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 12:45 AM
Because I'm Clever!

New diagram. I'll be updating all of my WTC diagrams (and adding a new one or two) throughout the evening.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 12:52 AM

the long awaited crain

taken today

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 5:21 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Yes... Long awaited, and still very exciting to see. Ten years from now, it will be hard to imagine this site when the first crane arrived. Twenty years from now, it will be unthinkable, and beyond that, forget about it. That's why I'm enjoying taking in these historic sites. We won't need documentaries to learn what happened when these towers went up. We're there every step of the way, and the first crane arriving on site is a huge step here. Now all four on site towers have at least one crane.

APRIL 3, 2011

Tower 2 cranes in the background...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 8:26 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Check out the early concept for 3WTC from Silverstein Properties webpage. It looks like the west and south faces of the tower, and the top of the podium.
http://www.silversteinproperties.com...reenwich/about

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:20 PM
New Yorker for life

^ The base also appeared slightly smaller, but I'm sure that's just the angle.

Another shot of the first crane from accross the memorial plaza...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:35 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Now that the cranes are in place, it's time for this baby to rise :-)

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:56 PM

I see it's a Federated crane. Does that mean that DCM is doing the steel on this one?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR View Post
New diagram. I'll be updating all of my WTC diagrams (and adding a new one or two) throughout the evening.
VERY well done.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 2:16 AM

It's awesome to see so many tower cranes up! Does anyone know which one has the largest lifting capacity. I worked 5 years on highrises in Chicago and can't remember anything as big as some of the jumping cranes on this site.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 3:18 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Its nice to see cranes. I think this tower has the most potential of all the new WTC towers.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance View Post
Its nice to see cranes. I think this tower has the most potential of all the new WTC towers.
Me too, or so I hope. I think the crane operators are dying to get started, once they get a signal on it. Has anyone gotten a bulletin that there's a plan for this getting in motion? I saw something about it online

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 3:45 AM

Just checked again, and I think it's been updated. Anyone else see this?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 3:48 AM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
VERY well done.
Thanks, but I already deleted it before it was even approved. I'm going to submit this one instead:

It's going to be kinda cool in that you'll see 3WTC reflected in Tower 1, and 1WTC as you can see, is reflected in Tower 3. For those with access to the 4:1 PNG's, you're in for a real treat. The wavy reflections look pretty awesome, if I may say so.

Last edited by STR; Apr 5, 2011 at 4:11 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlx2 View Post
Me too, or so I hope. I think the crane operators are dying to get started, once they get a signal on it. Has anyone gotten a bulletin that there's a plan for this getting in motion? I saw something about it online
Tomorrow core formwork assembly starts (Peri).
Sorry no Pictures Zen

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 10:48 PM
Honored Member

No problem, Dude, your word is good enough for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uakoops View Post
I see it's a Federated crane. Does that mean that DCM is doing the steel on this one?
Seeing that Federated is a division of The Davis Group, aka DCM, I would say yes. Heaven knows who is doing the steel fabrication, it was my understanding that MRP, the fabrication division of DCM, was at full capacity and shopping parts out to other fab shops.

http://www.dcmerectors.com/

Last edited by Zensteeldude; Apr 5, 2011 at 11:01 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 11:06 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
^ Yes... Long awaited, and still very exciting to see. Ten years from now, it will be hard to imagine this site when the first crane arrived. Twenty years from now, it will be unthinkable, and beyond that, forget about it. That's why I'm enjoying taking in these historic sites. We won't need documentaries to learn what happened when these towers went up. We're there every step of the way, and the first crane arriving on site is a huge step here. Now all four on site towers have at least one crane.

APRIL 3, 2011

Tower 2 cranes in the background...
This is indeed historic !

I am lucky to have witnessed the original WTC going up, but the current rebuilding is epic !

(As a side note, I know New York Crane/Lomma has been "black listed" but I have not seen a Favco (Kangaroo Crane) product go up on the WTC site sense the tower cranes at the Memorial/Museum.)

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 2:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensteeldude View Post
I am lucky to have witnessed the original WTC going up, but the current rebuilding is epic !
Yes, you are lucky to have witnessed that. I think that makes us appreciate this rebuilding so much more. After a long drought, it's a new age of megadevelopment accross the City. We're seeing things that we never thought we would or expected to see. Larry Silverstein is already talking about the City not taking space at tower 4. When these towers are rising into the sky, all the talk of too much office space or no tenants will be forgotten and lost to the history books.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 2:00 AM
Grand is Golden!

I was in my teen years when the Original WTC Towers were built. I was living near Chicago at the time, which was also building its own behemoth: The Sears Tower. (Currently known as the Willis Tower). I was well aware of the WTC being built, but I focused more attention on the Sears Tower's construction, because it was closer to home.

Coincidently, both the Sears Tower and the World Trade Center were completed in the same year, which I found fascinating.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yes, you are lucky to have witnessed that. I think that makes us appreciate this rebuilding so much more. After a long drought, it's a new age of megadevelopment accross the City. We're seeing things that we never thought we would or expected to see. Larry Silverstein is already talking about the City not taking space at tower 4. When these towers are rising into the sky, all the talk of too much office space or no tenants will be forgotten and lost to the history books.
I am hoping it does get underway harder than anyone, and I hope that the talk of too much office space can be forgotten but more importantly the suffering that took place when the towers went down. I have absolute faith that the architect has the capacity to make it wonderful and will in every way of his design, because I know that total beauty of Yamasaki's designs in every way. I'm not sure how well the associate architects, Roth Sons have been helping his own efforts, though I am sure they are committed. I have a million questions about what will be the first stages of megadevelopment, but right now the important thing is getting the building up. Is there anything specific that we on the ground should be paying attention to.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 10:26 AM
New Yorker for life

^ I don't know what you mean.

http://downtownexpress.com/de_415/energy.html

Energy, dynamism is foundation for building

BY Larry A. Silverstein
April 6 - April 12, 2011

Quote:

As we approach the 10th anniversary of 9/11, I think it’s important to take a moment to look at where we are, how far we have come, and where we are going.

First, I want to salute you, the readers of this newspaper and residents of the Lower Manhattan community. Everything we are doing has been made possible by your devotion and dedication to Downtown.

Many of you are longtime residents of the neighborhood. Those of you who raised your children in the shadows of the Twin Towers were the pioneers who helped turn a business district into a community. And rather than throwing in the towel amidst the upheaval after 9/11, you committed yourselves to remaining here and revitalizing the area.

Many more of you further strengthened the neighborhood by moving here over the following years. Who would have thought that the residential population of Lower Manhattan would double during the past decade?

Your energy and your dynamism is the foundation upon which we all are building.

Just as importantly, you have made sure that your voices are being heard throughout the planning and construction process. Your insights have helped shape the master plan, and your desire for progress has kept all of us on our toes.

With regard to the rebuilding, I believe that we are answering your calls for an appropriate memorial and museum; a dynamic streetscape with new public spaces; a grand transportation gateway to Lower Manhattan; new cultural amenities, shops and restaurants, as well as a modern business hub.

We are making steady progress in realizing the master plan’s vision of a rebuilt W.T.C. shaped by top-tier green design. In addition to 1 W.T.C., which was designed by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, the site also will include a world-class transportation hub designed by Santiago Calatrava, a performing arts center designed by Frank Gehry, as well as a stirring and dignified memorial, which will open to the public this September, followed by a museum next year. And Towers 2, 3 and 4, being developed by my company, have been designed by Pritzker-Prize winning architects Norman Foster, Richard Rogers and Fumihiko Maki.

Today, every part of the new W.T.C. is under construction and on schedule. Every day, thousands of construction workers shape millions of tons of concrete, steel and glass into iconic buildings that will soon reclaim New York’s skyline.

Just as we saw at 7 W.T.C., these new office buildings will be a success for many reasons: because they are green and high-tech. Because they are in a great neighborhood and easy to get to from all over the region. Because great companies already work here and more want to move here.

New companies are moving Downtown every month, including creative firms, publishing companies, and branding and marketing agencies. Young people want to work and live in this neighborhood.

We recently signed a lease at 7 W.T.C. with a distinguished law firm that is moving Downtown, from Park Avenue in Midtown. This forward-looking company’s move to Downtown is part of a broader trend of creative, dynamic companies that want to be in the W.T.C. These companies and their employees want green office space, waterfront parks, public spaces and recreational facilities, and perhaps the best mass transit links of any area in the city.

This lease is further proof that people want to come Downtown, that this neighborhood and the World Trade Center will be a premiere business district once again.

We are clearly at a pivotal moment in Lower Manhattan’s reemergence as a world-class live-work neighborhood. With the impressive construction progress all across the W.T.C. site, the opening of the Goldman Sachs headquarters, the success of 7 W.T.C., and an initial agreement for Condé Nast to move its headquarters to 1 W.T.C., the world has begun to take notice of what is happening Downtown.

It hasn’t always been easy, but we’ve stayed the course, thanks to you. The W.T.C. is and will be a special place. What’s happening here matters to New York, to America and to the world.

Larry A. Silverstein is the President and CEO of Silverstein Properties, Inc.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive