HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 7:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
Is there any thought on increased immigration to Saint John? I know they could use it just as much, if not more, than Moncton. Boosting immigration to both cities paints a bright picture for the demographic and economic future of the province.

PS: I'm glad the Atlantic Forum can seem to discuss immigration without inevitably turning to racist, protectionist, isolationist rhetoric, unlike the Canada page.
Agree with your sentiments.

The provincial chief economist only mentioned Moncton in his analysis. I found that odd too...........

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 8:03 PM

Yeah, if they're aiming for Moncton to get 3k, then they should set similarly appropriate targets for Freddy and SJ. (2.5k for SJ, 1.5-2k for Freddy maybe? Just off the top of my head). That's 7k new folk in the province a year, maybe target 10-12k total to spread beyond the Tri-cities. That would be a good boost for the province in general; but would probably be way too optimistic.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Is there any thought on increased immigration to Saint John? I know they could use it just as much, if not more, than Moncton. Boosting immigration to both cities paints a bright picture for the demographic and economic future of the province.

PS: I'm glad the Atlantic Forum can seem to discuss immigration without inevitably turning to racist, protectionist, isolationist rhetoric, unlike the Canada page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Agree with your sentiments.

The provincial chief economist only mentioned Moncton in his analysis. I found that odd too...........
Not the first time I hear anything about growth for Moncton, and there completely silent when it comes to Saint John, and I agree with you Franco401 I've seen the page, and think some comments might have been removed if possible but I see the same all over social media but on a larger scale. Most of the comments seem to come from a place of fear, or miss understanding/miss information potentially because of the issues that have happen with the Temporary Foreign labour program as well.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 9:35 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

We don't delete comments unless they violate a rule of the forum or we're asked to, like if someone double posts. It's probably been a year since I've done it. If everyone stays civil and reasonably on topic, it isn't anyone's place to censor.

Where people run into trouble are when they cross the line into being hateful, attacking other people etc.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 3:30 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
My understanding is that Fredericton, Saint John, and Moncton received equal shares of Syrian refugees when they were entering Canada (~900 each, don't quote me on it though).

Although Saint John probably does need the immigration more than Fredericton and Moncton the local market needs to be able to bare the brunt of newcomers as well. There's simply more growth in the other two cities and more working and living potential.

At the end of the day i'm only assuming the Chief Economist was analyzing Moncton as its the largest urban centre. I suppose you can look at growing NB in two ways:
1) Grow the Big 3 cities equally, incrementally, over time.
2) Put all your eggs in the Moncton basket and push its growth higher and higher.

We've gone over this idea on this forum ad nauseam on whether or not it's better to have one large urban centre or three medium-sized centres. There's arguments to be made both ways. It's becoming more and more clear with each passing year that the only way to resolve NB's significant demographic issues is with an influx of immigration similar in level to what other, larger Canadian provinces are permitted.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 2:16 AM
New Brunswick booster!

Man, if Moncton, Dieppe and Riverview merged into one city it would be a city of 117,000 people with a CMA of 145,000 people. I wish they would merge lol

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
Man, if Moncton, Dieppe and Riverview merged into one city it would be a city of 117,000 people with a CMA of 145,000 people. I wish they would merge lol
Moncton needs to expand its boundaries anyways. It should go out all the way to the TCH in Berrys Mills if you ask me. I can see Riverview merging before Dieppe too.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Moncton needs to expand its boundaries anyways. It should go out all the way to the TCH in Berrys Mills if you ask me. I can see Riverview merging before Dieppe too.
You not the first I see bring up the expansion of Moncton, and in Fact I think it was supposed to, or at least Rumors where floating around back during one of the first large Moncton construction booms that Moncton was going to border all the way From West-East Salisbury- Route 11, and from South-North Peticodiac River-New Scotland Rd. Other rolling rumors that stated it would only reach the Shediac River area.

All rumors curently but I do agree that Moncton Should expand. How far out would still be left to be determined.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
You not the first I see bring up the expansion of Moncton, and in Fact I think it was supposed to, or at least Rumors where floating around back during one of the first large Moncton construction booms that Moncton was going to border all the way From West-East Salisbury- Route 11, and from South-North Peticodiac River-New Scotland Rd. Other rolling rumors that stated it would only reach the Shediac River area.

All rumors curently but I do agree that Moncton Should expand. How far out would still be left to be determined.
Here is the 2008 Finn Report that recommended many of the the changes mentioned above. Unfortunately the PNB does not have the courage to implement.

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/D...AndRegions.pdf

Last edited by Freddypop; Mar 20, 2017 at 7:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 2:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

New Brunswick FC? Group Eyes Pro Soccer Team for Moncton
Tom Bateman
Times & Transcript
March 26th 2017
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tel...remier-league-

This article is about a push by Soccer NB to have a franchise in the nascent Canadian Premier League, along such cities as Victoria, Ottawa, Quebec City and possibly Halifax.

If the league gets underway, they would likely start playing in about three years. The annual cost of running such a team would be $3-5M/yr, and they would need about 7,000 fans per game to make it profitable. They would play at the 10,000 seat Moncton stadium at U de M.

BTW, right now the T&T is offering a one month complementary access to their website, so if you want to read the article, follow the link above.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2017, 8:09 PM

You also have access to the CT&T's massive electronic archives during the free preview, a treasure chest of data.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:23 PM

I always recollected seeing early plans for city hall that showed two glass buildings, so I dug through the archives and found the following:

Reversed

T&T, Apr 26, 1994 - https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...mes+Transcript

Two glass towers

T&T, Nov 24, 1994 - https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tim...mes+Transcript

I originally recalled that both glass buildings would be identical but I didn't find a rendering of that. Not sure on this, but I think there was a problem with acquiring land (current Pastalli building?) so the development moved slightly to the west, which led to plans deviating to what we see in the second picture, then to what we actually have on site.

Aerial view shows there's still room for that second glass building. It's been so long that the trees have grown almost as high.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I actually prefer that little bit of green space over having the second glass tower on site. The open space improves sightlines to city hall, and gives a nice panoramic perspective to the southwest from city hall itself towards the Delta Hotel and Assumption Place. I'm glad they never built it.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 7:48 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I prefer the green space on the corner as well. I'd really like to see the rest of the block developed though. There is room for five more buildings with the same footprint as city hall if the wrap-around parking lot was replaced. Perhaps if that end of downtown sees more growth like FiveFive Queen, the city might put a parking structure there at least.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I prefer the green space on the corner as well. I'd really like to see the rest of the block developed though. There is room for five more buildings with the same footprint as city hall if the wrap-around parking lot was replaced. Perhaps if that end of downtown sees more growth like FiveFive Queen, the city might put a parking structure there at least.
Yes, I've always thought a parking structure would make sense at the northern end of that lot (corner of Queen and Orange) and then use the current west side parking lot to extend the green space north up to the "La mine d'or" building (or up to Queen). We'd then have a something that looks closer to a true urban park rather than just a small strip of green space.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Yes, I've always thought a parking structure would make sense at the northern end of that lot (corner of Queen and Orange) and then use the current west side parking lot to extend the green space north up to the "La mine d'or" building (or up to Queen). We'd then have a something that looks closer to a true urban park rather than just a small strip of green space.
I could actually see an L shaped parking structure with it's entrance/exit at/near the parking lots current entrance on orange Ln. they could in fact take out the Botsford Street entrance/exit right next to La Mine D'or, and expand the green space to that point. I would actually look good but don't see it happening in the very near future.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2017, 6:24 PM

New $3.5M pool planned for Moncton park
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tel...892/?nopromo=1
Quote:
Construction will start this summer on a $3.5-million outdoor pool at Moncton's Centennial Park, replacing the 30-year-old aging swimming facility in the bowl of park

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 8:02 PM

2 Neighborhood parks are to see revitalization this year Westbrook Circle Park, and Candlewood Park. But now my question is how does the city decide what neighborhood parks they need to put money into. Westbrook Circle Park has already have had all there equipment replaced thanks to the Berry Mills Heights Youth Group I think they where called. When the city refused to fix anything the kids, youths, and parents raised the money themselves a little over 7 years ago. Maybe a little more. There are parks that are in more need of a face lift then Westbrook Circles. Candlewood park does need the money put into it. All Westbrook Circle needs is the community centre knocked down. Auburn Circle still needs work if they still haven't touched it.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2017, 6:56 PM

Moncton CIRA announcement
Quote:
This announcement will outline a new Internet Exchange in Atlantic Canada, which will further enhance Moncton's digital ecosystem.
https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/moncton-...on-33425614914

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 4:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Here's a comment from Dawn Arnold's Facebook page regarding the upcoming Canadian Internet Registry Association announcement for Moncton.

Sounds like the Fibre Centre is beginning to pay off.

Quote:
Think of building an economic future for Greater Moncton as building an enduring building. First comes the critical foundation, which in this case is the launch and considerable infrastructure investment of US and Canadian investors in the Moncton Fibre Centre last January. Money from away, as they say.

Hunter Newby, and his international investors started a virgin company with no customers and faced massive financial and reputation risk. They bet their future on Moncton strategic dark fibre advantage on being the intersection for north south and east west data and Internet traffic. Think of it like a giant train station as a Hub of web-based traffic. This is the new New Moncton.

Slowly, Uri, the local executive in charge, has attracted leading international brands who co-locate their servers and connectivity resellers to Moncton Fibre Centre. (Facebook Corp is a presence here now because of the Fibre Centre.) No small feat.

The Centre's presence bring a competitive lower cost price structure to all local businesses' most critical component of business growth: data storage and high speed connectivity to the world from Moncton.

What this smaller announcement, which is again national recognition of Moncton for web infrastructure means, is that we have placed another stone, maybe even a corner stone of economic infrastructure and growth into our future economy, but put in place today.

#Moving_Moncton_Forward means taking small steps so we stride into the next century, now. CIRA, by locating and expanding into Moncton, is but one brick in our building wall to carry us forward, but it is an important one. A milestone perhaps. Learn more from this release.

Fibre connectivity eliminates oceans and creates a global community next door. We do not compete with Halifax any longer for the future, we compete with London, Singapore, Paris and Dubai for global business locations.

This is because data, big data concentrations, are the new Oil. A currency unto itself
I had no idea that Facebook had a digital presence in Moncton already because of the Fibre Centre - that's big news!!!!

Moncton always was and always will be a Hub City.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces