HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 11:34 PM

But arent french doors more expensive than sliders?? The whole thing seems idioic to me.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 11:34 PM

and if I had a unit in here I would just take the doors right off..

Old Posted Jan 14, 2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
But arent french doors more expensive than sliders?? The whole thing seems idioic to me.
umm not sure, with sliders you have to have all the mechinism within the wall for the door to slide in and out.. maybe there was not enough "wall space" for the doors to slide into..

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volksboi View Post
umm not sure, with sliders you have to have all the mechinism within the wall for the door to slide in and out.. maybe there was not enough "wall space" for the doors to slide into..
I just meant sliding patio doors - or the "moving wall systems" as they call them in Yaletown.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 1:57 AM

Great pics.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 6:52 AM

Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 8:35 AM
Dérive-r

Thanks for the pics Volksboi!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 3:37 PM

wow that enclosed balcony in retarded. with all the places i buy the first thing i do is rip out those stupid enclosed balconies, who the hell likes those useless spaces?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 5:33 PM

^They are good for hotboxing! Besides that I think they are useless.

Btw thanks for the pics Volksboi.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 5:58 PM

Enclosed balconies have become a thoroughly abused loophole in Vancouver's development industry. Their intended purpose was to provide an alternative amenity to outdoor balconies in places where it wouldn't make much sense or enjoy much use. Examples of the intended purpose would be for lower level dwellings on major streets, adjacent bridges with a lot of street noise, or in areas where there would be other factors that would mitigate the enjoyment of the outdoors. The enclosed balconies are exempt from a building's developable FSR, just as external balconies are, to a maximum 8% of a dwelling's floor area. So if you had a 1000 sqft condo you could expect an 80 sqft balcony since it would be "free" for the developer. Terraces and roof decks are not subject to the same calculation because they are treated differently, how I am not certain.

The enclosed balcony rose to prominence because a developer can sell it as an extra room, adding the square footage to the total for the dwelling, despite the fact that it was "free" for the developer to build, so far as their total developable density is concerned.

I tend to think that they are semi-useful spaces. Almost everyone I have ever met with one uses it either as an office or a room for their pet, (litter box, etc.). South or west facing enclosed balconies could also be used as a nice greenhouse, perhaps to help make those mortgage payments...

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 7:52 PM

I'm not sure what the Surrey zoning bylaws provide for ut in Vancouver, the enclosed balcony allowances have evolved over time.
- The original intent was to provide a balcony that could be used even in the rainy days of winter.
- If you visit an early Pacific Place condo (vintage 1992) (north side of Pacific Boulevard) you will note that the enclosed balcony is of a room-like size (many were used as dining rooms), has a sill (maybe 4-6 inches) that you must step over to access the enclosed balcony (i.e. like an outdoor balcony), there is a drain in the middle of the floor and has an exterior grade door.
- A bit later (i.e. my condo vintage 1993) the sill requirement and drain are gone. But the dimensions are still room like - mine is about 9 ft wide by 10 ft deep. Still of note are the exterior grade door and fibreglass insulation (treating it like exterior space) in the "external" walls (between the enclosed balcony and other rooms of the suite).
- The sizes of enclosed balconies were later reduced by City Council because people were using them as bedrooms and living space! This was not intended (probably to what SFUVnacouver mentioned). I've also noticed that doors are no longer exterior grade (i.e. the moving wall system @ Domus).
- A further amendment later on also imposed a requirement that enclosed balcony space be balanced with a proportionate amount of external balcony space, leading to the prevalence of the tiny exterior balconies seen on today's condos.
- One feature remains for enclosed balconies - the flooring must be "impermeable" - that means tile - to qualify for the exemption from zoning density (otherwise it is included in the living space of the project). Numerous developers have run afoul of the zoning by marketing or actually installing hardwood (or laminate) in enclosed balconies and having to remedy the situation. @ Domus, enclosed balconies were marketed as having laminate flooring - that was later reversed to tile (to the disappointment of many buyers). @ Palladio, the developer had to buy heritage density from the City to remedy the problem, as the suites were already occupied. Nowadays, you see more and more "legal" applications to the city for purchases of heritage density to bring enclosed balconies "into density" when a condo owner is renovating a unit - this is due to lawsuits alleging misrepresentation where a condo owner has illegally removed enclosed balcony doors and brought the space into the living space without informing the purchaser. This is typically revealed to the purchaser if the purchaser applies to the City for a building permit to conduct renovations - at which point the purchaser is ordered by the City to re-install the enclosed balcony.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 7:06 PM

Lots of activity at the Infinity site today.

My Photo ( SFUVancouver in SSP | Vancouverite in SSC )

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Mar 4, 2008 at 10:46 PM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 2:31 AM

Nice.That site is absolutely massive.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 3:53 AM

yea its a huge site and the site the left is where SKY towers are going.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 7:39 PM

January 29th update (snow!)

Infinity site

(my photo, taken January 29th, 2008)

Last edited by SFUVancouver; Mar 4, 2008 at 10:47 PM.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 9:01 PM

Thanks.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2008, 9:31 PM

nice.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 4:30 PM

Skytower in Surrey

What are the numbers?

The 36 and 40-storey Sky Towers are being developed by Young In Development headed up by CEO and South Korean businessman Hee Yong Yang. He is the same developer that took over responsibility for Surrey’s Infinity Towers.

The two new towers are expected to cost about $350 million and include 900 housing units.
http://www.joconl.com/article/id24624

Presale in November 07 = $ 280M
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...18f65c&k=15382

Would this $350 include extensive development around the base of the two towers (in the podium or in a commercial strip) or is the number misquoted (or a typo).

Thanks

Last edited by Startvcr; Feb 17, 2008 at 12:55 PM. Reason: add line and link/corrections

Old Posted Feb 15, 2008, 6:28 PM

What are the heights of all these new towers going to be (Infinityx5, sky towers, etc)? I looked on SSP's main site but there's only Central City there right now. I tried googling with no success. Somebody must know, be able to eyeball an estimate? I can't wait to see Surrey's skyline will look like.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2008, 2:28 PM

INFINITY - sub Contractors

Does anyone know any of the participating sub contractors on this Infinity Site.
ITC is the GC (General)

Infinity phase 1 group (this is the first single tower - completed)

Infinity phase 2 group (currently under construction)

Last edited by Startvcr; Feb 17, 2008 at 1:06 PM. Reason: correct lines

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley