HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
I am confused now, is Joey's not going into the ground level space below Simons anymore?
The article says corner of Nicholas and Rideau, which would be the area below Simons wouldn't it?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeofthewood View Post
The article says corner of Nicholas and Rideau, which would be the area below Simons wouldn't it?
Correct.

The article, in general, is a bit confusing though. I don't know why they are only now reporting that Joey's is moving into that space, when that's been known for several months. In fact, I think they have posters up on the windows suggesting it's opening in Spring 2017.

Also, the line:

Quote:
The busy street corner, which has played host to a few different restaurants in recent years, will be the new home of JOEY Restaurants in Ottawa.
What?! Has there ever been a restaurant "in recent years" (or any years, for that matter) at that corner? (The Ogilvie building alone has sat empty since at least 2007 according to google maps; and before sitting empty, it was a clothing store, "Urban Behaviour", I believe) ... Or was the writer talking about across the street (on Nicholas) where there was a Nestle Tollhouse Coffee shop that closed down last year (and before that, various clothing stores occupied that spot)?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citydwlr View Post
Correct.

The article, in general, is a bit confusing though. I don't know why they are only now reporting that Joey's is moving into that space, when that's been known for several months. In fact, I think they have posters up on the windows suggesting it's opening in Spring 2017.

Also, the line:

What?! Has there ever been a restaurant "in recent years" (or any years, for that matter) at that corner? (The Ogilvie building alone has sat empty since at least 2007 according to google maps; and before sitting empty, it was a clothing store, "Urban Behaviour", I believe) ... Or was the writer talking about across the street (on Nicholas) where there was a Nestle Tollhouse Coffee shop that closed down last year (and before that, various clothing stores occupied that spot)?
It was a mistake, if you look a the Ottawa Citizen article, below in the facebook responses, you will see the comments. I think the article has been fixed, just very bad reporting.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 5:47 AM

Just one more example why the Citizen could use an editor.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 4:48 PM

Old Posted Mar 10, 2017, 2:31 PM

Found mention on Twitter that Matt & Nat is opening a stand-alone store at Rideau in May:

Quote:
@MATT_AND_NAT
... our store in Rideau Centre is expected to open in May!
And I've noticed the Spare Parts store is going in the new wing - can't remember if it's the 2nd or 3rd floor though...

Those are great shots you found, J.OT13, by the way.

Last edited by citydwlr; Mar 10, 2017 at 2:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 12:49 AM

Came across a few new job postings for new retail at the Rideau Centre:

1) Sunrise Records (I didn't think it was mentioned that Sunrise was coming to Rideau - I thought it was only going to the "fringe" malls)

Quote:
Sunrise Records, a large Canadian CD/DVD/Vinyl Record retailer, is opening in beautiful Ottawa, ON at Rideau Centre in April...
2) Me-to-We (Pop-up Shop)

3) Icebreaker

Quote:
We are opening a brand new Icebreaker Store in the Rideau Centre, Ottawa in May 2017 and we’re on the hunt for our newest Icebreakers to stop Ottawans in their tracks.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 3:15 AM

It's good to see some new stores coming! Rideau has a surprising glut of empty storefronts at the moment.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
It's good to see some new stores coming! Rideau has a surprising glut of empty storefronts at the moment.
Removing one of the bridge over Rideau did not help that part of the mall.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2017, 4:06 PM

That part of the mall was always dead, even with the skywalk to HBC. Currently, the Confederation Line construction doesn't help either.The O-Train's opening will make a huge difference.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2017, 4:39 AM

It's not just that section of the mall. American Apparel and a few other stores in choice areas are gone.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
It's not just that section of the mall. American Apparel and a few other stores in choice areas are gone.
Add Express (clothing store by the dining hall) to the soon to be gone list as they are closing all their stores in Canada.

Old Posted May 4, 2017, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy2000 View Post
Add Express (clothing store by the dining hall) to the soon to be gone list as they are closing all their stores in Canada.
That's a good size space. I wonder who'll take. It would be nice to have a Windows or Samsung store in Ottawa.

But this is sad for Bayshore. They already have enough empty spaces on their hands.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 9:32 PM

Heard a rumour that Farm Boy is moving into the former food court (near the LCBO / Shoppers) in the Rideau Centre. The map on the CF website shows unoccupied space where the food court was (they'll be LRT access near there IIRC) but the remaining space doesn't look sizeable enough for a Farm Boy.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
Heard a rumour that Farm Boy is moving into the former food court (near the LCBO / Shoppers) in the Rideau Centre. The map on the CF website shows unoccupied space where the food court was (they'll be LRT access near there IIRC) but the remaining space doesn't look sizeable enough for a Farm Boy.
Most of the space from the food court is now Shoppers - definitely not room left - the space left is for access to LRT as yous aid, as well as mechanical for 10 Rideau etc.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
This is apparently true - Mathieu Fleury held a townhall meeting at my in-laws' condo about a week ago and he mentioned the Farm Boy at the Rideau Centre in the old food court location fronting Rideau Street.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 7:15 PM
Busy Beaver

I think the reference is to what was the lower level of the Elephant & Castle as shown in the mall directory map. Not sure if there's enough room for a Farm Boy there unless it's some sort of new mini urban format. At least a small chunk of that space is taken up by the escalators/stairs from the exterior LRT access on Rideau/Col.By.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
I think the reference is to what was the lower level of the Elephant & Castle as shown in the mall directory map. Not sure if there's enough room for a Farm Boy there unless it's some sort of new mini urban format. At least a small chunk of that space is taken up by the escalators/stairs from the exterior LRT access on Rideau/Col.By.

Not counting the narrow chunk that extends towards the Westin nor the LRT space, it is about 700 m^2. As a comparison, the Stittsville Farm Boy (which is quite small) is about 1000 m^2, so the space is small but not unreasonably small, especially if they cut out the section with canned/boxed goods and referred people to the Shoppers across the hall. It could be a good synergy.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 8:27 PM

Huh, well I stand corrected - convenient for me for office and home, so I hope it's true!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1818 View Post
Not counting the narrow chunk that extends towards the Westin nor the LRT space, it is about 700 m^2. As a comparison, the Stittsville Farm Boy (which is quite small) is about 1000 m^2, so the space is small but not unreasonably small, especially if they cut out the section with canned/boxed goods and referred people to the Shoppers across the hall. It could be a good synergy.
The Westboro "urban concept" store is 1800 square metres, so this would have to be an extra-urban concept store.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa