HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1 View Post
It's a shame, the area needs a grocery store badly (and it's unclear if Plaza Saltillo will end up getting one). I live a couple neighborhoods down the street.

Between this development, the redevelopment around 11th the other side of 35, and these:
http://austin.towers.net/development...reet-landrush/ I'm sure there will be added density that would make a grocery in upper east central austin attractive.
I've heard a pretty strong but as of yet unconfirmed rumor that there will be a Sprouts in Plaza Saltillo.

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytoony View Post
I've heard a pretty strong but as of yet unconfirmed rumor that there will be a Sprouts in Plaza Saltillo.
As we found out today, a supermarket (27K sq. ft.) is planned for Block 87 as well.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
As we found out today, a supermarket (27K sq. ft.) is planned for Block 87 as well.
Great news for the area. To me the lack of a (larger) grocery store has been the single biggest drawback to living in Rainey/Eastern side of Downtown. Royal Blue is nice and all but it's just not quite as practical.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That sounds like it could be a Sprouts. I looked on Barshop & Oles' website at info for Brodie Oaks Shopping Center and they show the Sprouts there is 20,300 sf. That's the one I shop at.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 9:07 PM

When this project first went before the Design Commission a couple years ago as Huston Heights, the developers showed a rendering of what could be be built (top) vs. their original proposal (bottom). So this could still be a decent mid-rise.

http://austin.towers.net/one-two-eas...ce-opposition/

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 9:25 PM

Oh what I can tell.... I like the top one much better!

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 9:41 PM

The neighborhood could still get something that pretty much blocks their view of downtown, but without a grocery store and the ~300 affordable units. Who wins in this scenario? Congrats on your victory NIMBYs.

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 11:27 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Oh what I can tell.... I like the top one much better!
The facade may be more interesting, though, honestly, I did like the facade design of the twin tower plan quite a bit. I will say, however, that wider is not better. Worrying over height isn't everything, and this project is a good example why. The shorter (wider) design will likely create more of a visible barrier than the twin tower design did. And unfortunately, this project will offer less to the neighborhood since it likely won't have any retail. That's a major loss for the neighborhood. A lot of the concern and resentment over the development moving into East Austin has been a sense that it's come with a concealed and shut-off-to-its-surroundings feel, a sort of middle finger or back turned to the neighborhood by not being exactly affordable or fitting in. Coming into a neighborhood with a new development and not offering retail is sort of like taking something away from the neighborhood and benefiting from it but also not contributing to it. I-35 may be buried or replaced someday so that that visible and cultural barrier between East Austin and the rest of the city is gone, but I'm thinking a new one will be created in the type of development that East Austin might see if developments don't commit to contributing retail to the area. I would even rather see bland designs there that actually contribute to the neighborhood than ritzy buildings that tell their surroundings that they don't want to interact with it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 14, 2017, 11:46 PM
Meh

When I look around my own neighborhood, I consider the places that are contributing to my neighborhood, and the number one thing I consider is retail. Living in your neighborhood and seeing things isn't enough. I don't even concern myself with things that might be considered an eyesore or something that I personally consider to be unsightly. I think more about is it the best use of that location? How many hours of the day does that business or shopping center (we have a few) operate? Is the land being used in the most practical and honest way? Does it close up at 5 pm or does it stay open a little later with businesses that I might need at the end of the day? Things like groceries and food and the services that I use most often are what I think of the most. And I think if those places weren't there, then how far would I have to go to acquire those goods and services? How much time would it take out of my day for me to get there? I also think about is something too redundant of a service or product because maybe we already have a few of those in the area? Do we really need another auto-parts store or another pharmacy so close to the other one that's only half a mile away?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 2:52 AM
World Traveler

I think they shot themselves in the foot by not allowing a grocery store there.

I agree that wider isn't better for a couple of reasons. One is views - you can typically see more of the city, sky, etc., with more buildings that are skinnier as the views between the buildings are available. What's interesting with that is that as you walk/drive/bike, you get different views from different angles. This makes cities a bit more interesting in some ways, I think. The other point against really wide buildings it that they're more than physical barriers to ones view, but also to one's ability to get somewhere. Smaller buildings often have, if anything else, sidewalks that allows the general public to pass through their property (especially if there is any sort of retail component). This helps with their business but also creates and more thorough and natural urban grid benefiting pedestrians. A wide building is an impenetrable wall...and we all know how popular those are.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 6:32 PM

The update to the site plan made a couple weeks ago did describe Version 2.0 as "High-Rise M.F.". So I suspect they are going with a 10 to 12-story building allowed in current zoning instead of a Texas doughnut design.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 3:30 AM

The updated site plan has been released. This one falls within current zoning regulations. So the NIMBYs must be happy about losing their neighborhood grocery store and affordable housing units for a lot of those noisy, disruptive seniors.

It's only one building this time around coming in at 14-stories and around 158'. The elevations are on the last page. Construction is set for May.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...ston_PLANS.pdf

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 4:07 AM

I hope we get some new renderings soon. This downgraded version might not look too bad. It's being designed by GDA, and the tower portion is in the shape of a rounded L. The rounded backside of the L faces I-35.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 10:35 PM

From an inside source, the developers will be reaching a decision for the contractor by mid-January. It will then move rapidly through preconstruction for a start date in May.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2017, 11:37 PM
Meh

I hope I'm wrong, but I think this project will be a big disappointment. The design is so-so, but the thing that really makes this stink is what could have been. To think that neighborhood had a chance to get a full service grocery store was amazing and is sad that they rejected it. Having a grocery store nearby is probably one of the most important things you can have close by. It's going to be the type of business you visit the most often and need sometimes for urgent reasons. I would say the neighborhood got robbed, by they did it to themselves.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 12:22 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but I think this project will be a big disappointment. The design is so-so, but the thing that really makes this stink is what could have been. To think that neighborhood had a chance to get a full service grocery store was amazing and is sad that they rejected it. Having a grocery store nearby is probably one of the most important things you can have close by. It's going to be the type of business you visit the most often and need sometimes for urgent reasons. I would say the neighborhood got robbed, by they did it to themselves.
Seems to be the story of Austin with cool developments... "What could have been"

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 12:37 AM

I think Ora Houston has a good heart and in her own way she probably still thinks she did her constituents a service by opposing the previous version of this project, but she lacks a vision for the future. That seems to be a theme with several of our current (and past--can't blame it all on 10-1) city counselors. Instead of guiding the city forward, they struggle to hold onto the past. That's not a problem when something precious is at risk of being lost, but I can not see how that could be the case here. I wish we could have a council that manages to find a balance in this regard rather than always opposing projects because "that's what we do in Austin." This is a huge missed opportunity.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 1:07 AM
Meh

I think developers and city council members need to be communicating better what's at stake. People get emotional over things like views and having a building on a lot versus not and having concerns about traffic, but the real issue is what a new development is going to offer that neighborhood for decades to come. A developer isn't just going to go away and decide not to build because of opposition to it. It ultimately comes down to things like financing, zoning rules, and city approval for something to happen or not. These buildings that are being built are going to be here for a long time. At least several decades and maybe even much longer. So we should be making them contribute to the neighborhood at their fullest potential. This means retail that is useful to a neighborhood. I can't drive it home how much of a good thing a grocery store would have been to that neighborhood. With traffic being their big concern, the idea of having a grocery store that much closer would save on time of not being stuck in traffic. In the lifespan of these buildings, traffic is going to get worse in Austin.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 7:33 AM
World Traveler

KevinFromTexas for council!

Old Posted Dec 19, 2017, 7:36 AM
Meh

Ha. I'm not cut out for political office. If I'm going to sell my soul for anything I'd rather it be for something cool like music.

Thou shall not indict

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin