HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 17, 2018, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Didn't they just do a rehab job on the roof at Skydome?
To the Track system yes I don't think the roof itself was replaced although i read an article with rogers brass acknowledging the roof Membranes needed to be replaced

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
Didn't they just do a rehab job on the roof at Skydome?
Ice falling from ~800 ft will cause a hole, regardless if the roof was rehabbed.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 5:51 PM

UBC just completes their new $5 million baseball stadium. Completing the $110 million dollar overall sports facilities investment.
UBC has 25 players drafted into the MLB.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilkountry View Post
To the Track system yes I don't think the roof itself was replaced although i read an article with rogers brass acknowledging the roof Membranes needed to be replaced
I understand that as part of the process to get real grass and not artificial turf in the stadium the panels of the dome need to be changed to ones that are more transparent to let in a certain amount of sun light.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNest View Post
I understand that as part of the process to get real grass and not artificial turf in the stadium the panels of the dome need to be changed to ones that are more transparent to let in a certain amount of sun light.
I thought they shelved the idea.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2018, 11:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
Ice falling from ~800 ft will cause a hole, regardless if the roof was rehabbed.
I misinterpreted - I thought this was like in Montreal, where any build up is causing damage to the roof.

I didn't realize it was chunks falling off buildings.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2018, 4:02 PM
ハルウララ

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...nton-1.4625416

Football and soccer spar for rights to Clarke Stadium
FC Edmonton is asking to be the primary tenant with naming rights to the stadium

It's football versus soccer in the battle for a spot at Clarke Stadium, and city councillors may end up being the referees.

FC Edmonton is asking for primary tenant status and naming rights at Clarke Stadium as it prepares to join the new Canadian Premier League in 2019.

The city's community and public services committee is looking at the requests outlined in a report, which include doubling the stadium's seating, upgrading the lighting and sound system in the play-by-play broadcast area and providing permanent locker room facilities for the team.

The president of the Edmonton Eskimos, Len Rhodes, showed up to the meeting Wednesday to caution councillors not to make a hasty decision.

"We're going to stand firm in terms of what we need for football," Rhodes said after the meeting.

The Eskimos use the field for practice when Commonwealth Stadium has concerts or other events, or is undergoing maintenance.

Rhodes said he's worried the FC Edmonton request to be the primary tenant will block the Esks from accessing Clarke Stadium.

Rhodes was one of nearly 20 people representing soccer or football to speak to the committee about the stadium.

The Esks have a lease with the city until 2021 and said they pay $1 million a year in rent.

"People don't often know that," Rhodes said. "They think we use the facility for free. We rarely ask for dollars from the city, we've invested over $25 million since 2009."

Tom Fath with Fath Sports said his FC Edmonton team has been "historically quite good at negotiating and working with people."

FC Edmonton folded last fall because of a lack of fans but is rekindling hopes of playing as a professional team again in Edmonton with the advent of the new Canadian league.

"We've always felt it was important to be collaborative," Fath told reporters.

It's one thing the two sides agreed on.

"Dialogue is everything and we want them to succeed, but not to the detriment to football," Rhodes added.

He said he wants to make sure FC Edmonton doesn't push the Eskimos and amateur teams out of the way.

"Clarke Stadium is a multipurpose stadium for multiple sports, as per the definition."

Several of FC Edmonton's requests could have significant budget implications for the city.

City councillors said they will consider FC Edmonton's requests and the use of Clarke Stadium.

Teams have until mid-April to express interest in participating in the Canadian Premier League's first season.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 3:03 PM
Community Guy

Hicks on Biz: Ice District delivered as promised

On May 6, 2010, The Katz Group/Oilers held an open house at the Art Gallery of Alberta, at which the Ice District vision for the downtown was unveiled.

Much of it was scoffed at, indeed ridiculed.

Pie-in-the-sky, over-ambitious, too big and grandiose for little ol’ Edmonton.

That richie rich Oilers owner Daryl Katz was out to rob the taxpayer. Yes sir, he was going to stuff his face with taxpayers’ money.

http://edmontonsun.com/opinion/colum...ed-as-promised

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 8:09 PM

^ I remember when the Sun used to rail against taxpayer subsidies and corporate welfare...

Old Posted Apr 21, 2018, 9:55 PM

Winnipeg is a little hockey crazy right now, to say the least

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigglez View Post

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzy82 View Post
Winnipeg is a little hockey crazy right now, to say the least
they should throw a fresh coat of paint on the roof of the rotunda main entrance looks rusted out and not so great looking when they do the aerial shots of the arena.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 2:06 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
they should throw a fresh coat of paint on the roof of the rotunda main entrance looks rusted out and not so great looking when they do the aerial shots of the arena.
Should put a Jets logo in there!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2018, 3:24 PM

Ran across this, I guess it is from the 1987 Olympic Stadium roof project, just wondering why it's still around.

Things are a little quiet around here regarding new news so I'll resurrect some old news. I was just reading some of the old posts and ran across this. I don't think we figured out then what the hell this means (go back to page 39 of this thread)

Quebec to spend at least $200 million on new roof for Olympic Stadium
Olympic Installations Board will produce a viability study for work to replace the problem-plagued roof and hopes to have it installed by 2023.
Philip Authier, Montreal Gazette November 10, 2017

QUEBEC — The Couillard government has given the go-ahead to replacing the failing roof on the Olympic Stadium.

The estimated cost of the new roof is between $200 million and $250 million.

An agency that oversees Montreal’s Olympic Stadium said on Friday that parts of the new roof planned for the cavernous facility could be removable. The Parc Olympique said in a statement it favours the option of a fixed roof made out of some form of textile.

But it says the Olympic Installations Board will also look at the possibility of making various sections removable for different events.

The OIB has been authorized to produce a viability study and seek tenders, internationally, for the highly specialized work of replacing the problem-plagued roof. The target to have the new roof installed is 2023.

Quebec wants to look at all the available options, but a fully retractable roof — which was part of French architect Roger Taillibert’s original design — is not going to happen.

Quebec’s harsh winters played havoc with that roof, which was made out of the miracle product of the day — Kevlar — and the government doesn’t want to get burned twice.

This time Quebec is looking for someone able to manufacture “a fixed but flexible,” style roof which can be partially dismantled in some areas on short notice to meet the needs of groups that want to hold events under the sun or stars.

Such stadium roofs exist in Marseille and Japan. Quebec believes such a roof will help transform the stadium into a money maker instead of a money pit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can anyone figure out what they mean, I posted a video of what I thought they might have meant but to me that would be retractable and not "removable" I don't know what example in Marseilles they are talking about as I don't see anything removable there.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 4:37 AM

Ice District

I still think the city of Edmonton did not get a very good deal in the whole Rogers Place construction, I think Katz besides letting his son go up when they announce their first round pick could care less about hockey and really the whole Ice District / Arena development was about the development of all the land around the arena , that's where he has and will continue making his money

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 1:25 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
I still think the city of Edmonton did not get a very good deal in the whole Rogers Place construction, I think Katz besides letting his son go up when they announce their first round pick could care less about hockey and really the whole Ice District / Arena development was about the development of all the land around the arena , that's where he has and will continue making his money
What does Edmonton redeveloping their Downtown with a new arena have to do with Katz' son going up on stage at the draft?

Owners of sports franchises are always going to have one main goal in mind. Few people buy NHL franchises solely because they love hockey.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 8:21 PM
ハルウララ

https://globalnews.ca/news/4160093/h...medium=Twitter

Wanderers grounds
Halifax may be getting a stadium and a new professional sports team — but it won’t be for football.

Regional council is set to debate allowing the municipality to create two separate rental agreements with Sports Entertainment Atlantic (SEA) for the use of the Wanderers Grounds — a four-hectare natural turf sports field on the Halifax Commons.

SEA has proposed a pop-up stadium on the grounds as part of a plan to bid for a team in the planned Canadian Premier League.

Council is being asked to consider a one-year lease agreement for the 2018 season, which will function as a trial run for the project. The municipality is also being asked to examine a separate three-year lease that will have SEA use the stadium to host Canadian Premier League soccer games in 2019, 2020 and 2021.

If passed, SEA will hold eight events during 2018:
  • One Senior Men’s rugby game between Canada and the United States on June 23.
  • Three soccer games in July between Nova Scotia’s under-23 team and England’s under-20 team. The games are scheduled for July 14, 18 and 21 but are conditional on the status of the field after the rugby game in June.
  • One rugby game between Canada and England’s under-20 teams in August.
  • One rugby game and one soccer game in September.
  • One high school football game, the High School Turkey Bowl in October.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2018, 8:23 PM

Ice District

That was supposed to be a sarcastic shot at Katz , who the one time a year he is involved with the Oilers is the draft ! Sorry bad humour ! I guess the Jets ownership is a minority , can't speak for Mr Thompson but Mark Chipman still plays hockey with the boys and was a good football player at University of North Dakota . Checking the owners not too many look like they played sports and loved the sport of hockey from playing and watching it

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
That was supposed to be a sarcastic shot at Katz , who the one time a year he is involved with the Oilers is the draft ! Sorry bad humour ! I guess the Jets ownership is a minority , can't speak for Mr Thompson but Mark Chipman still plays hockey with the boys and was a good football player at University of North Dakota . Checking the owners not too many look like they played sports and loved the sport of hockey from playing and watching it
Always had a lot of respect for chipper. Such a well spoken yet down to earth guy. he doesn't remind me of an NHL owner in any way shape or form. Just a guy that loves Winnipeg and loves hockey

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 2:50 PM

^ You couldn't get much farther from the stereotypical image of the douchebag pro sports team owner.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2018, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ You couldn't get much farther from the stereotypical image of the douchebag pro sports team owner.
Unlike this guy!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada