HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku View Post
Not anymore (the wealth of Berlin is average, poorer than western german cities but not as poor as it used to be), and Berlin is booming. We can't say that Berlin is a bad shape, not anymore.
Berlin is doing well but still the poorest major German city, though. I think that's kinda notable. Much poorer than Hamburg, Frankfurt, Munich, Stuttgart, Dusseldorf, Cologne, etc.

In most countries the capital is, by far, the richest city. Even less important capitals (DC, Ottawa, Brasilia, Canberra) tend to be very wealthy for national standards.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 7:17 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
I mean, historically it was.
Tokyo became officially the capital of Japan in 1868 and before it was already the siege of the government.
If Kyoto had stayed the capital of Japan, it may have become a very different city.
Much bigger, I think.

Rome was not even the capital of Italy back then.
After the fall of the Roman empire the city shrinked to become a rather "small" city. Many other italian cities were more important.
The city had only 194,500 in 1861. it has only exceeded one million inhabitants in the 1930s. The current Rome is the result of a booming demographic during the 20th century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
You do realize that such a statement is senseless in a super large federation like that of the US, right?
NYC, LA and Chicago are the most representative cities of their country abroad, and that's the way it will be for this entire century.
Yet NYC isn't even their local state administrative capital.
"The capital and the biggest city represent". Plural, it means that the capital and the biggest city are two different cities.

Both are importants.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku View Post
Plural.
Ok. I read you too quickly. Now I'm getting it.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
You do realize that such a statement is senseless in a super large federation like that of the US, right?
NYC, LA and Chicago are the most representative cities of their country abroad, and that's the way it will be for this entire century.
Yet NYC isn't even their local state administrative capital.

I guess business, culture and political power are sometimes 3 different concepts.

As for Tokyo and Paris, we French and the Japanese have been fascinated by each other for long, so that's a particular case.

I grew up on mangas and silly Japanese anime series myself. That's some sweet easy part of my childhood. The Koreans living in France are jealous of our fascination for Japan.
This is something peculiar between us.
Geez, imagine that. Imagine if NYC was the state capital and national capital. With the UN headquarters it was already the world capital arguably.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2018, 11:35 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedairspray View Post
Cirrus, why don't you think Silver Spring isn't growing as fast as Tyson's? From a density perspective, it's always been my favorite of the newish suburbs.

(That is to say, it's my favorite other than the obvious Alexandria choice, which as old as Silver Spring may be, can't compare to)
It's in pg county, which carries a stigma in the dc region. Racialized economics yet again.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 1:49 AM

Quote:
I mean, historically it was.

I guess Ottawa is a decent example of what I was imagining, though its not that small. Really what I am trying to think of is a national capital which is not a late 19th/20th century or later planned city but is also not considered to be a top major city in its own country(which Ottawa is).
Yes Ottawa, is basically a mid tiered city in Canada if that's what you meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
Geez, imagine that. Imagine if NYC was the state capital and national capital. With the UN headquarters it was already the world capital arguably.
No doubt.. I said it one here before, that if some sort of advanced civilization from some far away galaxy introduced themselves to Earth, all business and political affairs with them would have be conducted in NYC IMO..From there, they can get a tour of other places..Vegas maybe?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:41 AM

ahaha Because the UN is just so powerful, yeah that makes a really good case for a world capital...

They'll exercise their might with a strongly worded letter which was put to a vote!

And let's be real the UN is the US in sheep's clothing, the only reason it exists is to keep other nations from organizing on their own terms.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
It's in pg county, which carries a stigma in the dc region. Racialized economics yet again.
Silver Spring is in Montgomery County.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 2:50 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

^ ok true, but it's east of the park.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Silver Spring is very definitely in Montgomery County. As I said, I grew up there and part of the reason was that Montgomery County at that time, maybe still, had one of the best public school systems in the country. When the time came I found it very easy to get into college with a diploma from that system. PGC, on the other hand, had poor schools

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 6:37 AM

I think about half of Montgomery County's population have Silver Spring mailing addresses.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Silver Spring is in Montgomery County.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 8:06 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

I wonder why College Park can't catch a break then?

Surely the areas around the university should be rather nice? And there's more than one Metro station, which all have kind of half baked TOD around them.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 8:11 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Silver Spring is very definitely in Montgomery County. As I said, I grew up there and part of the reason was that Montgomery County at that time, maybe still, had one of the best public school systems in the country. When the time came I found it very easy to get into college with a diploma from that system. PGC, on the other hand, had poor schools
the east of the park/west of the park distinction carries up north of DC's borders.

Bethesda, Friendship Heights, Chevy Chase, Rockville. etc. this was/is the high rent district. Wheaton/Silver Spring is more working class.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 8:31 PM

Quote:
the east of the park/west of the park distinction carries up north of DC's borders.

Bethesda, Friendship Heights, Chevy Chase, Rockville. etc. this was/is the high rent district. Wheaton/Silver Spring is more working class.
It's the same county, same school system and when I was growing up the population of Silver Spring was mostly middle management government workers including a lot of professionals--and all white. My dad was an engineer. My friends families included doctors and lawyers and such (their mamma's did not let them grow up to be cowboys).

Since then, like so many inner ring suburbs, it has become "diverse" and, being less expensive than the places you mention (except Rockville which, back then, was too far from DC to count as a "suburb"), a lot of relatively successful minorities have moved in.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 11:37 PM

Silver Spring was also DC's main "Jewish suburb" from the 1950s to 1970s.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
Silver Spring was also DC's main "Jewish suburb" from the 1950s to 1970s.
Indeed. I once showed up for high school home room on the high holy days and the teacher asked me why I was there. I said I wasn't Jewish. She gave me a funny look.

On Sundays I used to like to go to the local Kosher supermarket and watch the ladies argue with the guy behind the counter over whether he was going to weigh the whitefish with or without the heads.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 1:00 AM

Quote:
I wonder why College Park can't catch a break then?

Surely the areas around the university should be rather nice? And there's more than one Metro station, which all have kind of half baked TOD around them.
It's in PG County, which is the "bad" DC-area county. Part of it is racism (PG County is 60% black and like 20% Hispanic), part is reality (PG county has high crime and low incomes for DC standards).

Also, re. Silver Spring, it's the same issue. Yes, it's in Montgomery County, but right next to PG County and on the "wrong" side of Rock Creek Park. Silver Spring is heavily black and Salvadoran, and the area near the Metro is sketchy in parts. Wheaton, the next suburb, is even less desirable.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 2:57 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Jacksonville has credible claim to be a world capital given its world-beating skyline.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 3:21 AM

You keep thinking you're getting a laugh at my expense but I stand firm; I'm 100% firm on that one.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions