HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't know how much of this has survived to this day but as recently as when I was a kid you could find scattered here and there in often tiny rural towns in Nova Scotia these small black churches with passionately sung gospel music and the like.

One of the many fascinating stories of Canada that never gets told because of, well, you know...
How many descendants of African Americans remain in Montreal (from say the time that Little Burgundy was famous) or Quebec at all?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't know how much of this has survived to this day but as recently as when I was a kid you could find scattered here and there in often tiny rural towns in Nova Scotia these small black churches with passionately sung gospel music and the like.

One of the many fascinating stories of Canada that never gets told because of, well, you know...
I was going to ask if African-Americans in Atlantic Canada were more aligned with the religious demographics of those in the Southern U.S.

I believe African Americans in Mississippi, Alabama, etc. have one of the highest church attendance rates of any demographic in the country. Definitely not my experience with Jamaican immigrants in the GTA where most would be baptised and raised with a slight affiliation to the church, but not many would describe themselves as religious after leaving their parents' household.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Hutterite

Total population: 45,000
80% of them live in Canada (est)
95% of Canadian Hutterites live on the Prairies (est)

Hutterites on the Canadian prairie. Their working language is German

http://www.larry-bolch.com/prairie/hutterites.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hutterite
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
One thing that strikes me about Nova Scotia Blacks is the culture. It's identical to that of African-Americans and rather separate from other Canadian Blacks. It makes sense when one realizes that they are actually African-American in origin.

Some of the more isolated Nova Scotia Blacks I've met seem stuck in a bit of a 1820s time warp. I actually had a lady say 'yessum' to me.
Wow. Both of these cases are, to me, really interesting and really exotic. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 9:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Wow. Both of these cases are, to me, really interesting and really exotic. Thanks for sharing!
One of my parents as a child attended a religious service at a black church in a nearby Nova Scotia town. It was for the funeral of a man who worked with my grandfather. The recollection was that the service was similar to what you see on TV or in the movies, perhaps with singing similar to that in the movie "Sister Act".

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
How many descendants of African Americans remain in Montreal (from say the time that Little Burgundy was famous) or Quebec at all?
2.5% of Blacks 15 and over in Quebec are third generation+.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 10:01 PM

Some interesting historical African-American communities throughout AB and SK. North Battleford, Maidstone, and Amber Valley, AB, to name a few.
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...mber-valley-ab

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 10:06 PM

Can you do percentage of the provincial population?

Otherwise obviously Toronto will just dominate all lists based on raw population numbers.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 10:11 PM

There's an old Black Canadian Baptist church located in what is now Toronto's Chinatown area. It moved there from the old Ward district in the 1950s. Apparently the majority of its congregants are Black Nova Scotians, many of whom settled in the area in the postwar years.

(Spadina was a predominantly Jewish district then. The small, pre-1960 Black community was concentrated there; like in the US, Blacks often moved into Jewish neighborhoods, though this was of course on a smaller scale).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
Some interesting historical African-American communities throughout AB and SK. North Battleford, Maidstone, and Amber Valley, AB, to name a few.
http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/...mber-valley-ab
There were also African-American communities in BC too, like the one around Saltspring Island.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...lack-1.3433086

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 10:56 PM

It has been argued that Canada almost would have gotten the Bahamas to become a province, if not for racial panic around the 1910s about African Americans and other people of African descent immigrating into Canada, which made the proposal for a West Indies province, a deal breaker for Canadian politicians.

http://noelmaurer.typepad.com/aab/20...nitiative.html

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 11:02 PM

If only Canada would have been less racist in the 1910s, we might have some Caribbean provinces today!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
If only Canada would have been less racist in the 1910s, we might have some Caribbean provinces today!
The reaction in 1910 would probably not be much different from the reaction one would have encountered in Canada until well into the 1960s, or even the '70s. Our collective memory is conveniently short wrt issues of race.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 11:52 PM

Caribbean Blacks are much more concentrated in Toronto and Montreal; indeed Haitians in Quebec and Jamaicans in Ontario came at the top of the list in the OP. African immigrants are more dispersed across the country and dominate the Black immigrant population in the West.

Among Black Torontonians, I would guess that those of Caribbean origin outnumber African immigrant origin by about 2-1.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The Filipino places I've gone to have not been very good, and I'm not sure I've ever seen one that wasn't lower end. Jollibee... doesn't look amazing. When I google it one of the first images includes a 50 cent coupon for a hamburger steak with a side of plain rice.
Kumare, near Richmond Centre, is pretty good. It's true that it's rare to find Filipino food that is haute cuisine, but I think it's only a matter of time before it happens. Filipino dishes can have very interesting, complex flavours and can be challenging to prepare. Plus, a lot of first generation Filipinos are involved in the restaurant business as owners and chefs of some acclaimed restaurants.

Toronto has an upscale Filipino restaurant called Lamesa that has received rave reviews, but I haven't been there yet.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Are there any ethnic groups whose largest concentrations are in Atlantic Canada?

So far I haven't seen any mentioned yet or that come to mind.
Newfoundlanders?

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 1:15 AM
recession proof

There's some Hutterites in Ontario, near Aylmer iirc. I used to know a few. They're very wealthy as they live in co-ops and own large communal farms.

Another interesting religious minority I'm connected to historically: the Plymouth Brethern. There's a bunch of them in Manitoba. A very wealthy English cult.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
We have one sit down Filipino restaurant in Windsor, and it is very popular, drawing many from across the border, from Michigan, Ohio and even Chicago!
Interesting that some Canadian big cities attract Americans interested in ethnic cuisine.

I'm actually surprised how common it is for some Americans to visit the largest Canadian city for cultural amenities not present in their hometowns, where the closest big city happens to be a Canadian one.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Interesting that some Canadian big cities attract Americans interested in ethnic cuisine.
I believe Windsor's Little Italy sort of functions as a Little Italy for Detroit as well, since Detroit doesn't have one anymore (as Italian Detroiters all live in the suburbs).

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 3:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
I believe Windsor's Little Italy sort of functions as a Little Italy for Detroit as well, since Detroit doesn't have one anymore (as Italian Detroiters all live in the suburbs).
Apparently, according to this article, increased border crossing strictness post 9/11 actually affected the vitality of Windsor's Little Italy, due to the decrease in American visitors.

https://www.freep.com/story/entertai...sed/634479001/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Are there any ethnic groups whose largest concentrations are in Atlantic Canada?

So far I haven't seen any mentioned yet or that come to mind.
Mi'kmaq, Maliseet and Passamaquoddy spring to mind. Generally, I'd imagine the most concentrated ethnicities in the country are indigenous. While members of some indigenous ethnicities (e.g., Inuit or Cree) are spread out across wide swaths of the country, many (if not most) are highly concentrated in or near their traditional territories (or occasionally far from it, as is the case with the Lenape, Tuscarora or Wendat).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada