HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

53W53 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 2:45 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The top of the Rock will be my first destination when all this is done. The best observation deck by far is only getting better and better views.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 7:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Variances in NYC are only for economic hardship, so almost certainly no.
The economic hardship case is something I considered. The tower had supposedly lost some of the sf, but if they were allowed to "bulk it up" at the top, that would make up for it. However, if the design were altered to a point (city planning guidelines were very specific on demensions) that it doesn't create the peak that the original does, and with all of the taller towers rising nearby, maybe there is a slim, though unlikely chance that could happen. I wouldn't count on that, and I would definitely rule out restarting the approvals process. Maybe Bloomberg will grant a "pardon" on the way out

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
As from Central Park, the view from 30Rock will change quite a bit too.

Imagine that view, even as the towers are under construction. Cranes everywhere...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 8:02 PM

Insane!!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 10:43 PM

Why can't we all be happy that we have *something* ready to go finally?

Are you sure you wanna send this back for yet another design redux? Believe you me, Ms. Burden and the NIMBY Orc-hordes would pounce on that kind of opportunity and petition to knock this beauty down to 750'.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 5:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
Ms. Burden and the NIMBY Orc-hordes would pounce on that kind of opportunity and petition to knock this beauty down to 750'.

I doubt they would try to go through another ULURP process, but remember Burden's claim was that the tower didn't deserve to be in the same "air space" as the ESB spire. Since then, things have changed. There will be a lot more in that "air space".

But I don't think anyone wants to gamble on that, expecially now with financing in place.

http://therealdeal.com/issues_articl...ck-ticks-down/

November 01, 2013
By Julie Strickland

Quote:
Regardless of who ends up in Gracie Mansion, an administration change means a strategy adjustment for developers, who have spent more than a decade getting used to Bloomberg’s taste in real estate projects as well as how his key appointees — from City Planning Commission Chair Amanda Burden to Department of Buildings Commissioner Robert LiMandri — operate. Now, they have to start from scratch.

.....sources agreed that applications spilling into the next administration could face delays if the new mayor has different priorities, or makes major staff changes.

“It could be pretty hairy with a changing administration,” said David Wolkoff of G&M Realty, the developer of the proposed conversion of the graffiti-covered 5Pointz complex in Long Island City. “Will Amanda Burden be there with the next mayor? I don’t know. We’re all conditioned to how she does business.” The procedural changes that inevitably accompany new leadership “can really slow somebody down if they have a big project on the drawing board,” Wolkoff said.

.....And while the mayor’s only official weigh-in comes at the end of ULURP, insiders said his support is crucial to shepherding a project through the entire process — especially getting it approved by the City Planning Commission, where the commissioner and six of the 13 members are mayoral appointees.

“The mayor’s office is acting behind the scenes throughout the process,” explained Stuart Saft, a real estate attorney and partner of Holland + Knight. “If you have a strong mayor and he wants to put the kibosh on a project, it doesn’t get very far.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 3:50 AM

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's a cool video which markets the "Museum" Tower which is right next door to Tower Verre. It shows how Tower Verre will appear in the skyline...pretty cool!
http://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/midtow...rd-street/4579

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 4:03 AM
Everywhere all at once

Fun little story: Amanda Burden came into my restaurant with a friend for dinner on Halloween...she commented on my costume and was very nice. I texted my friend (NYCLuver) who has always been a die-hard fan of this building, he was all "Poison her." I was like..but she's a sweet lady otherwise. Alas, we made it anyway, kids.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2013, 4:13 PM
Astorian

You didn't do as I asked. We're not friends anymore.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 6:34 AM
New Yorker for life

^ That wacky Amanda...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad11 View Post
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's a cool video which markets the "Museum" Tower which is right next door to Tower Verre. It shows how Tower Verre will appear in the skyline...pretty cool!
http://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/midtow...rd-street/4579
Very cool. This is the little brother to the Tower Verre.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 7:06 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Lol, I think they used my models for Verre and One57.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 8:31 AM

With your kind indulgence, I shall now wax most silly on how awesome this tower is.

::ahem::

If skyscrapers could talk, this one would sound like Jack Nicholson in Joker garb muttering, "Wait'll they get a loada me......"

Think about it for a second.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 2:09 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPro View Post
If skyscrapers could talk, this one would sound like Jack Nicholson in Joker garb muttering, "Wait'll they get a loada me......"

Yeah, and although the word is used a lot, this tower will become an instant icon. I never get enough of it. It will probably be the greatest tower built in the city since the Chrysler and Empire State buildings. It will get its own companion in 111 W. 57th, together the two taking us both backwards and forward, reviving a greatness in skyscrapers that we have long since seemed to give up on (witness the Nordstrom and Freedom towers). And I think One57 fits in with the new revival.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

Imagine that view, even as the towers are under construction. Cranes everywhere...
that got me thinking about midtown west/hudson yards in the next decade.

hopefully we'll have no more crane dangling incidents...

Old Posted Nov 5, 2013, 1:24 PM
New Yorker for life

^ You never know what will happen with new construction.

In the tradition of the greats...

https://www.facebook.com/OldNewYorkImages?filter=1

__

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 2:54 AM
Khurram Parvaz

Just got my letter back from Amanda Burden's office.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 8:41 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

God bless Renee Barton. lol

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 3:45 PM

She's just an intern. LOL.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2013, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Not for long once her bosses hear about this... LOL

Old Posted Nov 15, 2013, 8:39 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I know. It makes the reply just that much more awesome.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 1:15 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Latest - last - original

____

Quote:
It still remains to be seen if that latest rendering is the one Amanda Burden approved. The final design had to be approved before moving forward, and a rendering from another article shows the other version...if only they would release more renderings.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/...asian-funding/

Turns out that "new" rendering is an old one.

http://skyscraper.org/EXHIBITIONS/SK...timeline/7.php

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive