HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 15, 2016, 3:01 PM

So JHikka, what are your feelings about Dortmund's collapse against Liverpool last night. (not a big soccer fan, but your avatar gave me a reason to write this)

Saw the highlights of the match last night. That would have been a hell of a game to be at!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2016, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka
TV viewership was likely strong because nobody wanted to travel to Swift Current to attend . Curling attendance at events in Canada has been trending downwards for the past decade or so.

It's funny that the women's worlds are watched with such high ratings given the fact that Canada has gone nearly a decade without winning the event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I enjoy the insinuation that I take offence to your comments about Ontario and Ottawa as if I take it personally.

First off, Swift Current was a Worlds event, whereas Ottawa was a National event.
Secondly, as i've posted before, spectator numbers (in terms of attendance) have been falling, and falling, for curling events for the past 15 years or so. Saskatoon's Brier went from 248K in 2000 to 177K in 2012. Calgary's Brier went from 245K in 2002 to 152K in 2015. These drops make Ottawa's 30% reduction look pretty good by comparison. What happened to 71,000 spectators in Saskatoon between 2000 and 2012? Or the 93,000 spectators in Calgary between 2002 and 2015? I think fewer people are willing to travel.

As a comparison, Ontario's 19th largest municipality (Kingston) hosted a Women's Nationals and had 66K attendance in 2013, higher than Swift Current's 52K - but i'm not sure what this has to do with anything because when you're comparing population numbers between Saskatchewan and Ontario the former is always going to lose to the latter.

Besides, Ottawa is going to be an easier draw for visitors than Swift Current, and there were plenty that were staying at hotels downtown and taking public transit down to Lansdowne for the event. Hats off to Swift Current for hosting an international event but you're trying to compare apples to oranges with the two.

Swift Current's numbers were lower than Lethbridge for the same event in 2012 but higher than Saint John in 2014. However, Swift Current's numbers (for a Worlds) were lower than the Women's Nationals numbers for Moose Jaw, Prince George, Sudbury, Brandon, Kitchener...
I still find your reasoning to why 600,000 television viewers watching Women's World has something to do with no one wanting to go to Swift Current flawed, and you adding the " " makes your comment look insulting & condescending to the people that worked so hard to put the event on.

Also the fact both Saskatoon & Calgary have held Briers that have had more than double Ottawa's 2016 attendance doesn't make Ottawa's attendance in comparison look very good.. But according to your reasoning maybe more than double the amount of people would rather travel to Saskatoon & Calgary rather than Ottawa to watch.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 11:33 PM

Playoff TV ratings down a ‘shocking’ 61 percent in Canada
Ken Campbell The Hockey News April 19, 2016

Having no Canadian teams in the Stanley Cup playoffs was expected to have an adverse effect on TV ratings, but even people in the industry are taken aback at how viewers north of the 49th parallel have tuned out this year’s tournament in CBC and Sportsnet.

Through the first five nights of hockey in the playoffs – from last Wednesday (April 13) through Sunday (April 17) – an average of just 513,000 viewers tuned into the 20 NHL playoff games. Compare that to last spring when there were five Canadian teams playing in the first round and an average of 1.306 million viewers tuned into the first 21 first-round games. That’s a drop of 61 percent from last season.

“Even with no Canadian teams, those are shockingly low numbers,” said one industry expert. “There were regular season games on TSN two years ago that did better than that.”

Attempts by thn.com to reach Scott Moore, president of Sportsnet and NHL properties for Rogers, were not successful.

It’s a shame because Canadians who have not tuned in have missed out on some pretty entertaining hockey. But when there is no rooting interest, the numbers are bound to suffer. Much of that, said one insider, is due to the fact that the life had been sucked out of the Canadian teams pretty much since the all-star break when it became clear that no Canadian teams would make the playoffs this season. That diminished interest early and since there were no Canadian teams that were even battling for a playoff spot down the wire, fans of those teams have tuned out and, apparently, remained tuned out.

Of course it doesn’t help that the biggest ratings driver in the country was basically out of the playoffs when it won just one of its first 10 games back in October. From that time, the only race the Toronto Maple Leafs were involved in was the one for 30th place, which is exactly where they finished.

The question now is, can the ratings improve over the course of the rest of the playoffs? Typically, interest in the playoffs diminishes after the first round, but there are some compelling possibilities. The Washington Capitals are serving notice that they mean business in this post-season and they are a compelling story. And if the Pittsburgh Penguins can get past the New York Rangers in the first round, it sets up another Alex Ovechkin–Sidney Crosby matchup in the second round, which is bound to draw in more than just the hard-core hockey fans. In the west, the St. Louis Blues are giving the defending Stanley Cup champions all they can handle and the San Jose Sharks- Los Angeles Kings matchup is proving to be the heavyweight battle that was predicted.

Each game costs about $100,000 to produce and thus far, Hockey Night in Canada has had broadcast crews on hand for four series – Los Angeles vs. San Jose, Detroit vs. Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh vs. the Rangers and Washington vs. Philadelphia. One source close to the situation said that if the Capitals close out the Flyers in four games on Wednesday night, perhaps the crew working that series would move to the series between the New York Islanders and Florida Panthers.

In terms of the bigger picture, what does it mean when just one in every 69 Canadians is regularly tuning into NHL games at the most crucial time of the year? Even with no Canadian teams, that’s a low number. Perhaps people in Canada are more fans of Canadian teams than they are of the game itself. One thing is certain, broadcasters are missing out big-time on the casual hockey fan, the one who tunes in during the playoffs because he/she has a rooting interest, and that is showing up loud and clear in the ratings numbers.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 12:21 AM

^ I'm sure the ratings boom in Florida will offset the NHL's Canadian viewership losses, although I guess that doesn't help Rogers out very much. Too bad.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I'm sure the ratings boom in Florida will offset the NHL's Canadian viewership losses, although I guess that doesn't help Rogers out very much. Too bad.
Yes, that is a real shame.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 12:37 AM

Too much George Strombo not enough Ron McLean.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 12:59 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post

Each game costs about $100,000 to produce and thus far, Hockey Night in Canada has had broadcast crews on hand for four series – Los Angeles vs. San Jose, Detroit vs. Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh vs. the Rangers and Washington vs. Philadelphia. One source close to the situation said that if the Capitals close out the Flyers in four games on Wednesday night, perhaps the crew working that series would move to the series between the New York Islanders and Florida Panthers.
Do they have the option of cutting their own crews out of the picture and just using the American feeds to keep their costs down?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 1:04 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

I'm sure that the drop in playoff viewership numbers is also compounded by the number of viewers drawn to the early-season Blue Jays and Raptors playoff games

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
I'm sure that the drop in playoff viewership numbers is also compounded by the number of viewers drawn to the early-season Blue Jays and Raptors playoff games
Maybe in Toronto, but I can't imagine that the number of viewers of Jays/Raptors games in, say, Edmonton or Vancouver is anywhere near what it would have been for hockey had the Oilers or Canucks made the playoffs.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 2:25 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

In Quebec playoff ratings are down more than 85% on TVA Sports compared to games involving the Habs last year.

I am nonetheless surprised they are getting 200-250,000 people to watch.

I would have thought they'd be in the 100-150,000 range.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 2:52 PM

I think that Rogers incarnation of Hockey Night in Canada is still a turn off for a lot of viewers. Most of the personalities are hard to listen to and the entire "panel" is less about talking hockey and news like it had been with CBC and TSN and more about Kypreos and the boys shooting the shit. It's like they're trying to copy the NBA with Shaq and Charles Barkley but falling flat.

Couple that with a lack of Canadian teams - interestingly I think the Canadian sports media dug their own grave on that one by pushing the whole 'have to support Canadian teams first' thing for the last decade, and that the divisional playoff format keeps giving us San Jose and Los Angeles, Chicago and St. Louis, and Pittsburgh and New York every year and it wears thin if you're team isn't involved. That said, give it a few years when Toronto and Montreal start meeting in the playoffs regularly and it's going to be wild. Wild.

The other series either don't feature marquee players, or they're just teams that have very little following anyway. People have never lined up to see Nashville, Anaheim, Florida, Minnesota or the Islanders (at least since 1985).

Add in that the Blue Jays are relevant again and have a national following and people are probably more inclined to watch Stroman pitch than Ovechkin light up the Flyers right now. I think the Raptors are much more isolated to Toronto for their supporters. Obviously they have a national following too, but nowhere near the level of the Blue Jays and definitely more skewed toward local and the other large cities, so that's affecting ratings for the NHL as well, but probably less so than the other reasons.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 3:01 PM

^ I don't think it's a "support Canadian teams" thing so much as it is a "support the home team" thing. I admit I'm a fairly casual NHL fan, which means that if the Jets are in the playoffs I'll watch every game start to finish but if they aren't (which is usually the case), then I'm not really watching other than maybe a few minutes here or there while channel surfing. I wouldn't really be any more excited about the playoffs had, say, the Flames qualified.

I think most hockey viewers in Canada are like me... not a hardcore guy who's going to stay inside on a nice spring evening watching Panthers vs. Islanders, but a casual viewer who will watch the home team and maybe get caught up in that excitement to watch some of the other series' going on too.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ I don't think it's a "support Canadian teams" thing so much as it is a "support the home team" thing. I admit I'm a fairly casual NHL fan, which means that if the Jets are in the playoffs I'll watch every game start to finish but if they aren't (which is usually the case), then I'm not really watching other than maybe a few minutes here or there while channel surfing. I wouldn't really be any more excited about the playoffs had, say, the Flames qualified.

I think most hockey viewers in Canada are like me... not a hardcore guy who's going to stay inside on a nice spring evening watching Panthers vs. Islanders, but a casual viewer who will watch the home team and maybe get caught up in that excitement to watch some of the other series' going on too.
To an extent, you're right. But wide swaths of the country have no local team, but still have casual hockey fans that usually get a little more into it and hop on the bandwagon for the Habs or Senators for a playoff run. Those fans look at the slate of series this year and maybe you cheer for Sidney Crosby if you're from Nova Scotia. Otherwise, yeah there's not much to really get excited about.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
To an extent, you're right. But wide swaths of the country have no local team, but still have casual hockey fans that usually get a little more into it and hop on the bandwagon for the Habs or Senators for a playoff run. Those fans look at the slate of series this year and maybe you cheer for Sidney Crosby if you're from Nova Scotia. Otherwise, yeah there's not much to really get excited about.
True enough. I remember there was a fair bit of excitement in Winnipeg, during the pre-Jets days, when Canadian teams made deep playoff runs. Not over the top, but certainly enough people were tuning in to make a difference to the bottom lines of broadcasters.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 3:26 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskScraper View Post
Also the fact both Saskatoon & Calgary have held Briers that have had more than double Ottawa's 2016 attendance doesn't make Ottawa's attendance in comparison look very good.. But according to your reasoning maybe more than double the amount of people would rather travel to Saskatoon & Calgary rather than Ottawa to watch.
Ottawa's drop was less than that of Saskatoon and Calgary as a % of total attendance. That was my point.

The emote can also be interpreted as a joke; one that you're taking far too personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
So JHikka, what are your feelings about Dortmund's collapse against Liverpool last night. (not a big soccer fan, but your avatar gave me a reason to write this)

Saw the highlights of the match last night. That would have been a hell of a game to be at!
If there's any team i'm ok with Dortmund collapsing to it's a team managed by Klopp. Instant classic match.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
I think that Rogers incarnation of Hockey Night in Canada is still a turn off for a lot of viewers. Most of the personalities are hard to listen to and the entire "panel" is less about talking hockey and news like it had been with CBC and TSN and more about Kypreos and the boys shooting the shit. It's like they're trying to copy the NBA with Shaq and Charles Barkley but falling flat.
I never really understood this. Don't people watch the game for the game anymore? If I'm interested in the game, I'll watch regardless of the personalities. If I'm annoyed enough by the play-by-play, colour guy or the intermission/half-time talk - then I'll turn the volume down or mute it.
I can't imagine ever thinking to myself "The Steelers game is on.. awesome! Oh crap... Phil Simms is the announcer - I better find something else to do".

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 2:57 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I never really understood this. Don't people watch the game for the game anymore? If I'm interested in the game, I'll watch regardless of the personalities. If I'm annoyed enough by the play-by-play, colour guy or the intermission/half-time talk - then I'll turn the volume down or mute it.
I can't imagine ever thinking to myself "The Steelers game is on.. awesome! Oh crap... Phil Simms is the announcer - I better find something else to do".
This works most of the time, but as has been mentioned before, many Canadians have a bit of a malaise when it comes to the NHL and the Stanley Cup.

There is a feeling that Canada should have a bigger role in pro hockey and that its contribution is increasingly unrequited.

I know someone will respond that half or more of the players in the playoffs right now are Canadian, but this is only calms the sentiment a bit. It doesn't eliminate it.

And the sentiment is even stronger this year with no Canadian teams in the running.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 4:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
This works most of the time, but as has been mentioned before, many Canadians have a bit of a malaise when it comes to the NHL and the Stanley Cup.

There is a feeling that Canada should have a bigger role in pro hockey and that its contribution is increasingly unrequited.

I know someone will respond that half or more of the players in the playoffs right now are Canadian, but this is only calms the sentiment a bit. It doesn't eliminate it.

And the sentiment is even stronger this year with no Canadian teams in the running.
What does that have to do with people not watching a game because they don't like the announcers?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 4:19 AM

Quote:
What does that have to do with people not watching a game because they don't like the announcers?
It's a part of the overall list of factors that makes people watch less hockey. I find the panel boring and full of stiffs, so it's not really going to draw me in.

By contrast, I find Ron & Don pretty amusing and I'll stop what I'm doing to put on a game for at least a little while if I know Coach's Corner is going to be on... the problem is that Don Cherry is what, 80 years old? At some point they'll have to find another interesting commentator to replace him.

Hockey has a weird culture which seems to be intent on stifling individuality and personality. It comes out in the broadcasts... could you imagine a stiff like Kypreos ever being on a NFL or NBA broadcast? Me neither.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 1:16 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Sorry, I was mostly responding to your first line: why don't people watch the game for the game anymore?

I do agree with esquire though that the quality of the announcers can help stimulate and keep interest.

One criticism of the CFL for many years was low-quality broadcast and colourless announcers.

As a teen and young adult, there was a lot of the 80s and 90s NFL fandom around and I remember that many in my entourage had a fondness for John Madden. He was talked about as much as most of the players were.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada