HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 12:58 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
It will be north of 11th ave on the former rail yard. Won't be on the Stampede grounds.
What makes you think that Mersar? Do you have a hunch that there will be a falling out between the Flames and the Stampede as the Flames want to max revenue?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 2:15 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
Can you give some examples of what Winnipeg is doing that we wouldn't dream of?
If you need another one... check out this project.

http://www.facebook.com/TheAvenueBuilding

2 vacant office buildings converted to a mixed use development (offices, retail, rental apartments). Sure it's not exactly high end, but its a great project. The photo galleries will give you an idea as to what they started with.

Might as well check anything done by these guys.

http://www.5468796.ca/

Weird name. Great firm.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 2:20 PM

Offices are too valuable in Calgary to convert to residential. I don't think that is a negative thing ... Edmonton has converted some offices to residential, but they are mostly buildings with thin and long floor plates that weren't very efficient as offices to begin with. Converting a long term revenue stream into a one time pay out shows a lack of faith in the long term viability of downtown as an office centre, not the best thing imo.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
What makes you think that Mersar? Do you have a hunch that there will be a falling out between the Flames and the Stampede as the Flames want to max revenue?
Interesting thought. The Flames do see a lot of revenue from parking go to the Stampede, so I could see why they'd rather own the land outright and all of the parking that would come with it. On the other hand, would a downtown arena in the middle of a sea of asphalt be feasible, practical, or desirable? Is there even enough land?

Just musing here - I know nothing about their plans, but I would love to hear more about Mersar's idea.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2011, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang View Post
Interesting thought. The Flames do see a lot of revenue from parking go to the Stampede, so I could see why they'd rather own the land outright and all of the parking that would come with it. On the other hand, would a downtown arena in the middle of a sea of asphalt be feasible, practical, or desirable? Is there even enough land?

Just musing here - I know nothing about their plans, but I would love to hear more about Mersar's idea.
Theres already a bit of a touchy relationship between the two groups from what I've heard (mostly about rents but it likely goes deeper). Building another arena on the grounds would also remove a huge chunk of area that the stampede has identified for redevelopment (quite a good chunk of the Stampede Trail area for instance) and ownership would be tricky if the Flames built and paid for the arena on Stampede owned land.

Building on their own site gives them more control, more revenue and could be a significant element in pushing the city for the SE LRT as it would be almost right on the SE LRT (even closer then the dome is to Vic Park/Stampede station). In the short term this would be the only negative to the plan, as it would be a bit of a hike to the nearest CTrain station, but I'm sure some sort of shuttle system may be part of their plan.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 12:04 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Interesting to see how this plays out. The Saddledome is used a lot during Stampede.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2011, 12:42 AM

Interesting indeed. I believe that the Stampede will eventually be expanding to 12th anyway, so the new stadium would only be a block away from the north end of the grounds. Reentry stamps at the Stampede would allow people to move back and forth for concerts and that sort of thing.

Until the SE LRT is built, it looks like City Hall station might be a tad bit closer to the potential site than the Stampede-Victoria Park station. Still a hike from either though, but as mentioned, I would anticipate some form of shuttle as the LRT is obviously well utilized for sporting events, and I think that everyone would like to make is as practical as possible.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 6:10 PM
City of Blinding Lights

So with the Flames becoming majority shareholders in the Stampeders organization I have heard a lot of chatter in the media about the potential for a multi-sport complex. Here are a couple questions I have, please feel free to share your thoughts:

1) With the Flames seemingly have made some progress as far as their desires for a new arena and 3 potential arenas is there any feasibility for a venue where both the Stamps and Flames could play?

2) The only location i can think of that could possible accommodate sucha facility with LRT access is the Grayhound/GSL site. Where else would this work?

3) Is there any value in having a stadium that has both NHL and CFL capabilities?

Personally, I think that it is in the best interests of the Stampede to keep the Flames close both for the feasibility of the site year round and for the value added through the Stampede Mainstreet development.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 6:30 PM

Quote:
So with the Flames becoming majority shareholders in the Stampeders organization I have heard a lot of chatter in the media about the potential for a multi-sport complex. Here are a couple questions I have, please feel free to share your thoughts:

1) With the Flames seemingly have made some progress as far as their desires for a new arena and 3 potential arenas is there any feasibility for a venue where both the Stamps and Flames could play?

2) The only location i can think of that could possible accommodate sucha facility with LRT access is the Grayhound/GSL site. Where else would this work?

3) Is there any value in having a stadium that has both NHL and CFL capabilities?

Personally, I think that it is in the best interests of the Stampede to keep the Flames close both for the feasibility of the site year round and for the value added through the Stampede Mainstreet development.
Well, it would have lots of floor space for a possible exposition centre. I doubt there would be much cost savings, or enough profit to pay for a football stadium.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 7:08 PM

Quote:

firestone park, next to the severely under utilized max bell/barlow ctrain station. it's roughly 40 acres in size and should be plenty for 2 stadiums and parking facilities. quick access to train, deerfoot and memorial drive. as the crow flies, it's less than 4 kms from the calgary tower.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 7:09 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Well, it would have lots of floor space for a possible exposition centre. I doubt there would be much cost savings, or enough profit to pay for a football stadium.
So you are suggesting a domed stadium on the CFL side that could be used for exhibition space like BC Place?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 7:11 PM

Quote:

There is absolutely no chance of a combined NHL/CFL stadium. The metrics are just too different (just look at the original Heritage Classic in Edmonton, the rink was swimming in extra floor space).

Two teams would require two stadiums. There could be coordinated parking and LRT access, as well as coordinated office space. However where this has been tried there is massive amounts of space required for parking purposes (ie believe New Jersey Giants stadium is a good example).

Ultimately the Calgary Flames are looking to coordinate and consolidate the back office functions and marketing departments. Also, there are some public rumors the flames were offered the share rights as one Stampeders owner wanted to sell and there were no other buyers.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:17 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I think this gives a good idea of how the playing surface sizes differ

http://billsportsmaps.com/?category_...caa-ice-hockey

I think the only way it could work is of the entirety of the stands could move in and out which sounds like some interesting engineering.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:22 PM

There would have to be 2 separate buildings, they could just be on the same site.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:29 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I do think Firepark is an interesting idea, unless anyone can think of a better use.

Actually, I'll give medium support to it, as I do like the idea of entertainment venues being downtown.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I do think Firepark is an interesting idea, unless anyone can think of a better use.

Actually, I'll give medium support to it, as I do like the idea of entertainment venues being downtown.
i think firepark, due to proximity of the runway approach, would have some sort of height restriction for typical commercial type buildings, so 2 stadiums would fit just nicely, while still maxing out the possible height limitations. it would also boost one of the lowest ridership train stations on the entire system. i'd also think that with the west lrt complete, it would be very easy for a lot the richies who own season tickets on the west side to get to the game, without transfers.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:47 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
I think this gives a good idea of how the playing surface sizes differ

http://billsportsmaps.com/?category_...caa-ice-hockey

I think the only way it could work is of the entirety of the stands could move in and out which sounds like some interesting engineering.
Good analogy and don't forget a CFL filed is 12 yards wider and 30 yards longer than an NFL field so the ice sheet would actually be much smaller than it appears with this picture.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:49 PM

here is the saddledome and mcmahon stadium on the firepark site, with plenty of room to spare for parking or preferably, a mixed use tod next to barlow/max bell.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:49 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Anywhere but Firepark, that would suck so much.

It would be the worst, and by worst I mean blurst. Which is worst spelt wrong because it would be so bad.

Last edited by Bigtime; Apr 3, 2012 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 8:50 PM

Quote:

I would have ZERO interest in attending Flames games at Firepark. It's hard enough to get interested in them lately, but at least you can make a "night out" out of it by wandering down 17th / 1st / to DT to drown sorrows after the games. Since I'm a $8 cab ride away from the 'Dome, I'm sure my opinion is very YIMBY-ish, but I cannot think of any positives to come from locating the new rink at FP.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates