HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 12:07 AM

Winnipeg Crime

Ukrainian refugee killed in Elmwood today while he was heading to work. Unprovoked random attack. Man and his family came here from Ukraine last year. He leaves behind a wife and child. My anger and frustration with this is just immense. Winnipeg is a proud city of Ukrainian heritage and a beacon for Ukrainians. I am beyond ashamed and frustrated with this attack and our justice system. His go fund me page already raised $25,000 at lunch time today. He should be with his family celebrating Christmas. You walk the line do the right things in life and this happens. I just don't know what to say I wish for peace and better times for his wife and family.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 12:11 AM

This is so sad.

I know some one that was jumped two weeks ago, right across the street from where this happened.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 12:42 AM

https://www.facebook.com/ethan.gladu.3

Facebook of accused. He was posting pics of guns, and giving gang signs in 2014-15, which would have made him 10-11 years old. Where are the parents at?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 12:43 AM

also the 14 year old's daytime murder last week. the langside masacre and the woman found in the dumpster on carlton. the past couple weeks have been BRUTAL for crime in this city.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 1:12 AM

I gotta say I didn’t realize how bad it truly was until now since I have an outside lens. Personally, I was fortunately never attacked in Winnipeg, but everyone feels that heightened sense of danger when walking in the inner city once it gets dark out.

However, when I’m in Québec City for example I NEVER have to even think about my safety at any time of the night. I don’t think I’ve even heard of a crime happening in Rimouski as long as I’ve lived here. Hell when I go to Toronto (which I will visit again tmrw) I also never have that eery feeling I get in inner city Winnipeg/US cities. Of course there are many factors for the discrepancy and it’s not all on the city/province, but it’s still quite disgraceful and a major blight for the cities image.

I offer my sincere condolences to the victims family and they get all the support and help possible.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
https://www.facebook.com/ethan.gladu.3

Facebook of accused. He was posting pics of guns, and giving gang signs in 2014-15, which would have made him 10-11 years old. Where are the parents at?
Looks like a POS and makes me wish the death penalty was still in place. Either that or put him in a room with someone and their baseball bat for 5 minutes. That's all one needs....5 minutes.

Wab and Scotty G need to start acting now. I'm sick of seeing Wab and his constant fluffy feel good posts on social media, looking for photo ops instead of taking matters seriously.

Why do our elected officials not give a fuck anymore? These people wanted to be elected to these positions of power. Time to get off their collective asses and start earning your pay.

Last edited by Justanothermember; Dec 23, 2023 at 6:29 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 6:20 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Yeah, this is all upsetting. How the f*** did we get to this point and why is nobody doing anything about this?

That Ukrainian dude could have been me, or someone very close I know. So many people out there are so unhinged nowadays, it's almost as if nobody gives a flying f*** anymore. The increase in homelessness, daily incidents on our transit system, violent crimes sporadic all over the city, from brazen robberies, to straight up stabbings and mass shootings over the last 4 years is not something to praise about either.

The high cost of living does not help, the global economic and political climate is looking grim. It's as if every month, another country wants to invade another, like how countries did in the past.

Also, it seems that everyone who I talked to in this city feels off, especially in a post-pandemic world we are living in. People are a lot more paranoid now, and quite frankly more rude in general nowadays.

It's getting real hard to live out here.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 3:45 PM

If the murderer doesn't get life in prison, then the justice system has failed us once again. Just because the individual had a rough upbringing should not give you any leniency on this.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 9:32 PM

We need Batman. The lack of Mr. Wayne is pretty much the only noteworthy difference between here and Gotham, or so it may seem at times.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotw_wpg View Post
If the murderer doesn't get life in prison, then the justice system has failed us once again. Just because the individual had a rough upbringing should not give you any leniency on this.

Unless the 19 year old has schizophrenia, and has to serve a decade at the Selkirk institution, then he should definitely get life. A man willing to kill another human being just a random, is a danger to the community, and it is not in the best interest of the community to let the individual see the light of day for at least 25 years.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2023, 10:05 PM

Vigilante justice is going to become a thing at some point if the government and police don't do enough to get things under control. Wab and Scotty G can say all the right things at election time, but their inaction on these matters simply allow for these situations to become the norm, which none of us want. The public will get to a point where they can no longer trust the leadership in place and will do whatever it takes to protect themselves and their loved ones from being victims of violent crime, revenge included. I don't want this to happen whatsoever, but do-nothing politicians and law enforcement are making it exponentially difficult to trust in the system.

Seriously, what is it going to take for change?

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 1:15 AM

Redistribution of wealth from the 1% and the thieving megacorporations back into the systems and supports that prevent these things from happening in the first place. Societal funding and an end to Reagan and Thatcher style pro business/anti societal politics.

So basically nothing is going to change anytime soon. Watch your back and protect your own, donate/volunteer where you can, and vote against overly pro business political parties.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Redistribution of wealth from the 1% and the thieving megacorporations back into the systems and supports that prevent these things from happening in the first place. Societal funding and an end to Reagan and Thatcher style pro business/anti societal politics.

So basically nothing is going to change anytime soon. Watch your back and protect your own, donate/volunteer where you can, and vote against overly pro business political parties.
Funny how the FDR / Mackenzie King move to better government supports and the push to end poverty worked so well. Made the 50s - 70s a pretty good period in our history. And then Reganomics and the whole govt is bad theories have basically destroyed our society.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 4:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

we got a dark few yrs ahead as the hangover of what we just had for a gov begins

its time to stand up at the bell tower even louder on fridays at 6 on selkirk

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 5:36 PM

The culprits of this are our housing crisis and the catch and release Justice system we have. Both are fixable. Had we had more affordable housing this Ukrainian gentleman likely could have afforded to live in a safer neighborhood for his kids. If catch and release was not in place this thug likely would be staying behind bars.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2023, 8:51 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
The culprits of this are our housing crisis and the catch and release Justice system we have. Both are fixable. Had we had more affordable housing this Ukrainian gentleman likely could have afforded to live in a safer neighborhood for his kids. If catch and release was not in place this thug likely would be staying behind bars.
yea the catch releae dont help but hen u jail em and it dont do sqaut the system stops trying as well and another issue

got tht problem up her in northern mb people get arested pend 3yr get out back in jail rince repeat and

the big homeles issue that eploded is also symptom from covid cerb scammers that got booted off wellfare and disability. not aying cerb wasnt needed the iue oulda been bigger without it

many are banned from assistance now for scaming

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Whats the circumstances surrounding the killing here? Just wondering if the ukranian man tried to intervene in something that was ongoing. Not blaming him, im trying to understand.

The statement about affordable housing and a safer area. Like sure its not sage creek. Buts its also not Mogadishu. People arent being mowed down at talbot and watt on the daily. Ive lived in the area for 4 decades and have had zero issues. Same with everyone else who lives around there. Frequented this exact location in my younger days. Its property crime for peolle qho need drugs.

Typically people who are murdered are known to each other and involved in drugs or whatver. Not random person stabbed in the back while walking to their car. The area, IMO, didnt reault in this persons killing. Rather a circumstance that a newer person may not realized or known to avoid. The killer also appears to be a repeat offender.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 5:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Whats the circumstances surrounding the killing here? Just wondering if the ukranian man tried to intervene in something that was ongoing. Not blaming him, im trying to understand.

The statement about affordable housing and a safer area. Like sure its not sage creek. Buts its also not Mogadishu. People arent being mowed down at talbot and watt on the daily. Ive lived in the area for 4 decades and have had zero issues. Same with everyone else who lives around there. Frequented this exact location in my younger days. Its property crime for peolle qho need drugs.

Typically people who are murdered are known to each other and involved in drugs or whatver. Not random person stabbed in the back while walking to their car. The area, IMO, didnt reault in this persons killing. Rather a circumstance that a newer person may not realized or known to avoid. The killer also appears to be a repeat offender.
Repeat offender that shouldn't have seen the light of day after his first two assaults.

Soft on crime and this is the result.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2023, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
He was getting ready to go to work, and was stabbed to death. Not sure where you heard he was "intervening" from.

Quote:
It would not matter if he had been here all his life. He did nothing to provoke this.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2023, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Repeat offender that shouldn't have seen the light of day after his first two assaults.

Soft on crime and this is the result.
I don't know how many times it has to be repeated but if locking people up with long prison sentences made places safer then the US would be the safest country on earth. It isn't.

As we can see from the posts above that guy was already setup to fail when he was 10-11 years old. The 14 year-old who got stabbed was in and out of CFS her whole life. Close to 100% of these cases involve people who grew up in CFS care.

The main culprit is children being born with FASD to parents who have no capacity to raise them and/or no interest in raising them. We can't force shitty people to become good parents. What we can do is have the best possible supports for kids coming from bad homes. Instead we've cut afterschool programs, community centres, youth drop-ins, and CFS treats them like actual trash.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan