HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 5:00 PM
BANNED

Responses that should just end in 2021

As we roll into 2021, we should all work to make the forum better. One way is to think about your response, and be mindful of others.

So, let's start off by discussing the responses that should stop.

I'll start with:

"I am no _____ expert, but...."

Well, if you are no expert, then why not not respond instead? If you don't know, then learn.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
As we roll into 2021, we should all work to make the forum better. One way is to think about your response, and be mindful of others.

I'll start with:

Well, if you are no expert, then why not not respond instead? If you don't know, then learn.
Clearly, this is directed at me.

This is a fan forum. I think it's safe to say most of us are not experts. I guess the "I'm not an expert" disclaimer is redundant, though if you don't specify, some will counter attack with "what, you think you're an expert?"

I've seen way worse behaviour on here than the innocent "I'm not an expert" tag line.

I won't be participating any further in this thread since it was mearly created as a passive aggressive attack and hope it gets deleted promptly.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 5:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Clearly, this is directed at me.

This is a fan forum. I think it's safe to say most of us are not experts. I guess the "I'm not an expert" disclaimer is redundant, though if you don't specify, some will counter attack with "what, you think you're an expert?"

I've seen way worse behaviour on here than the innocent "I'm not an expert" tag line.

I won't be participating any further in this thread since it was mearly created as a passive aggressive attack and hope it gets deleted promptly.
No, but if the shoe fits...

All too often people make expert claims when they shouldn't be making any.

So, what have you seen that was worse, that did not exactly go against the rules?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 5:32 PM
Closed account

Quote:
No, but if the shoe fits...

All too often people make expert claims when they shouldn't be making any.

So, what have you seen that was worse, that did not exactly go against the rules?
This is an internet discussion forum.

It literally is composed of non-experts discussing things, with an occasional professional involved. See the VIA rail thread - where there's lots of non-VIA employees talking, but only one (maybe two?) who actually works for VIA and provides interesting insight.

The breadth of debate will be markedly minimized if only experts are allowed to participate.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 5:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
The breadth of debate will be markedly minimized if only experts are allowed to participate.
Agreed.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 5:44 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

And I wouldn’t have been able to map out 2 TCH twinning routes, one of which will soon undergo substantial revision.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 5:57 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

How about we stop with petty threads like this?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 6:15 PM
Midtowner since 2K

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
How about we stop with petty threads like this?
Agreed. This is not contributing toward meaningful discussion in any way. I was hoping this thread maybe was reflecting on something like using more neutral language in the public realm....something like that (I'm not really sure myself, just a hunch)

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 6:33 PM

RE: Responses that should just end in 2021

None of the above responses ended in "2021".

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 6:56 PM

I was hoping this was more about real in person conversations where certain responses should cease to exist. Such as "Thank you", "no worries". But if we are just going to whine about shit that bugs us on the board, how about "boarders" when talking about "borders".

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 7:07 PM

I wish people would stop using the term strawman on here it is so annoying and I rarely encounter people using that term anywhere else but only on here for some reason. It is so tiresome and annoying seeing people on here going back and forth arguing about people's supposed strawman theories all the time please find some new terms or witty remarks than that for 2021 please.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 8:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I was hoping this was more about real in person conversations where certain responses should cease to exist. Such as "Thank you", "no worries". But if we are just going to whine about shit that bugs us on the board, how about "boarders" when talking about "borders".
I agree. it gets annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I wish people would stop using the term strawman on here it is so annoying and I rarely encounter people using that term anywhere else but only on here for some reason. It is so tiresome and annoying seeing people on here going back and forth arguing about people's supposed strawman theories all the time please find some new terms or witty remarks than that for 2021 please.
I think it is used by people as a way to try to stop someone from continuing with the discussion.

For instance, the idea that starting a thread is a strawman thing and should be shut down. If anything, by everyone airing what really annoys them, we can be more respectful. I try to avoid saying something is a strawman argument, but I think I am guilty on at least 1 or 2, or more times.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 8:25 PM

Quote:

I'll start with:

Requiring expertise before espousing strongly held opinions just seems so out of step with the spirit of the times.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 8:29 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Plus I see non-experts and experts as one another’s sanity check.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 8:52 PM
Look at me!

How about this: grown men on obsolete internet forums need to stop losing their shit whenever a stranger criticises a building in their hometown.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 9:28 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Plus I see non-experts and experts as one another’s sanity check.
It's subtle. My non-expert two cents on this public discussion forum is that there's such a thing as expertise but when you shut down questioning and experts don't need to be transparent about data and rationale then the opportunity for failures grows. It becomes easy for experts to claim to know more than they do and for groupthink and politics to dominate.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 10:22 PM
Registered Drug User

I think this is an excellent idea, 2021. Now that we've made it through 2020, it makes sense to establish context for what we're saying, 2021. I mean, so that future readers finding posts from this year won't mistake them for posts from 2020, 2021.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 10:54 PM

Quote:

I'll start with:

Nothing says "being mindful of others" and "make the forum better" like starting a whole thread purely to have a passive aggressive jab about something perfectly reasonable another poster said, that for some reason you chose not to like.

What are you an expert on?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 11:00 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Nothing says "being mindful of others" and "make the forum better" like starting a whole thread purely to have a passive aggressive jab about something perfectly reasonable another poster said, that for some reason you chose not to like.

What are you an expert on?
Engineering. It what I have been educated on and have 2 decades doing.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 3:53 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I'd also vote for "strawman" going to the trash heap, which basically just means "I disagree but a) have nothing to counter what you said or b) am too lazy to do so".

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada