HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 12:11 AM

Hell yeah! Now, those are some boxes that we can get behind. Fingers crossed that this one comes to fruition.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 1:28 AM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Holy Cow!! I step out for lunch and this happens...

From the Tennessean..
Just bumping this to the new page. Too awesome to get lost on a back page!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 4:01 AM
Future God

WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?! THIS JUST IN...yet *ANOTHER* new multi tower project announced just this evening. Repeat, this is a *SEPARATE* project from the one announced earlier this afternoon, set to be in Sobro as well but closer to the Gulch side, next to the future Division St. Connector. Truly unbelievable. Whether or not these see the light of day is yet to be seen, but they are both clearly very serious proposals...nothing half-baked about these at all.

The new project highlights: Four tower 1.6 million square foot mixed use development/One office tower of 600 feet/One 300 unit apartment tower (maybe 400 feet)/One 200 unit Condo tower (maybe 200 feet)/one 90 unit midrise for workforce housing (LOVE the inclusion of this)/65K square feet of street level retail space

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...line/82431864/

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 1:21 PM
Nashville born and raised

Yeah, I know....Holy crap!!!

An enhanced screencap from the video...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 2:28 PM

What I like about both projects is that they extend the skyline to the edges of downtown. I've always hoped that the skyline would be a bit more spread out than to have everything clustered together. One project brings the edge of downtown closer to the river banks and frames in the area with much needed height in that area, although I wish it was closer to the KVB/1st Ave area. It'll be an excellent backdrop to the amphitheater as well. The other project establishes height in the southern portion of the CBD and will have a wonderful massing effect near the interstate without necessarily crowding it. It will truly change the view of the skyline as you approach the city from I-65 north bound on the south side of the downtown. It'll also help to curb the industrial feel of that area and more than likely prompt even more development in the southern edge of SoBro.

I truly hope that city leaders involved in reviewing these two proposals don't get caught up in the height restriction issues. It's the CBD for crying out loud. It's not a suburban office park. Quite honestly there shouldn't be any height restrictions except to ensure there's no issue with flight patterns to the airport. Even then I think it would be better to alter the flight patterns than to restrict the height of buildings in downtown. This is the urban core of Nashville, no one living or working there should expect expansive wide open spaces and limits on the heights of nearby buildings. I just don't want to see Nashville lose out on developments because of over restrictions on height.

As for the designs of each project, well, they are boxes. It's hard to tell what the architectural elements are for each, so I'll reserve comment on that aspect. But my initial reaction is they're okay. Not exciting. Not intriguing. The excitement is clearly the magnitude of both projects and the impact they'll have on downtown if they both come to fruition without major alterations. I'm still waiting on our Empire State Building.... Please tell me it's not the Batman Building....

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?! THIS JUST IN...yet *ANOTHER* new multi tower project announced just this evening. Repeat, this is a *SEPARATE* project from the one announced earlier this afternoon, set to be in Sobro as well but closer to the Gulch side, next to the future Division St. Connector. Truly unbelievable. Whether or not these see the light of day is yet to be seen, but they are both clearly very serious proposals...nothing half-baked about these at all.

The new project highlights: Four tower 1.6 million square foot mixed use development/One office tower of 600 feet/One 300 unit apartment tower (maybe 400 feet)/One 200 unit Condo tower (maybe 200 feet)/one 90 unit midrise for workforce housing (LOVE the inclusion of this)/65K square feet of street level retail space

http://www.tennessean.com/story/mone...line/82431864/

What's going on is that all the forebodings about a slowdown are bull****.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 4:09 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
What's going on is that all the forebodings about a slowdown are bull****.
Agreed! Though, to be fair, if I understood correctly I think it was just a residential slowdown that was predicted...though I still don't see how even that can be accurate seeing as how even with all these new projects coming online we still don't have nearly as many core residential units as many of our peer cities. Anyway, either way, it's an amazing time to be in Nashville!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 4:16 PM

I'd go so far as to guess that Nashville is one of a handful of 'it cities.' Like NYC, Austin, et. al., it may continue to defy national trends.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 4:17 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
What I like about both projects is that they extend the skyline to the edges of downtown. I've always hoped that the skyline would be a bit more spread out than to have everything clustered together. One project brings the edge of downtown closer to the river banks and frames in the area with much needed height in that area, although I wish it was closer to the KVB/1st Ave area. It'll be an excellent backdrop to the amphitheater as well. The other project establishes height in the southern portion of the CBD and will have a wonderful massing effect near the interstate without necessarily crowding it. It will truly change the view of the skyline as you approach the city from I-65 north bound on the south side of the downtown. It'll also help to curb the industrial feel of that area and more than likely prompt even more development in the southern edge of SoBro.

I truly hope that city leaders involved in reviewing these two proposals don't get caught up in the height restriction issues. It's the CBD for crying out loud. It's not a suburban office park. Quite honestly there shouldn't be any height restrictions except to ensure there's no issue with flight patterns to the airport. Even then I think it would be better to alter the flight patterns than to restrict the height of buildings in downtown. This is the urban core of Nashville, no one living or working there should expect expansive wide open spaces and limits on the heights of nearby buildings. I just don't want to see Nashville lose out on developments because of over restrictions on height.

As for the designs of each project, well, they are boxes. It's hard to tell what the architectural elements are for each, so I'll reserve comment on that aspect. But my initial reaction is they're okay. Not exciting. Not intriguing. The excitement is clearly the magnitude of both projects and the impact they'll have on downtown if they both come to fruition without major alterations. I'm still waiting on our Empire State Building.... Please tell me it's not the Batman Building....
I couldn't agree more. I understand why height restrictions exist in certain neighborhoods. They do play an important role in some cases. Skyscrapers would be out of place in Germantown or East Nashville, for example. But the height restriction is absolutely ridiculous to have inside the downtown loop south of Germantown. There should be none. There are no tranquil historic residential districts in SoBro to preserve for gods sake. The fact that there is an eight story height limit where the second project is proposed blows my mind. Why does that exist? What purpose could that possibly serve? I'll be so pissed off if they let this massive, game changing development slip away because of some imaginary bullshit like a height restriction in a neighborhood full of empty lots and aluminum warehouses. I mean, look at the rendering of this project. The surrounding neighborhood is hideous. It is absolute no man's land. This could be a catalyst to completely transform a part of the city that is currently a black eye on the CBD. I'm hoping beyond all hope that Nashville is able to get out of it's own way on these projects.

As for the designs of these towers, though they are boxes, they are, shall we say, very high quality boxes with some interesting design elements. So I've got to problems there myself.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 12:13 AM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
Yeah, I know....Holy crap!!!

An enhanced screencap from the video...

Very interesting. Considering the developer, I'm assuming the architect is Berkelhamer? Not sure if they are placeholders or what, but two of the buildings in that screenshot look familiar to the developer's previous buildings in Chicago:

http://berkelhamer.com/mixed-use-01.php
http://berkelhamer.com/mixed-use-04.php

Nashville is on fire.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 1:52 PM

Quote:
I couldn't agree more. I understand why height restrictions exist in certain neighborhoods. They do play an important role in some cases. Skyscrapers would be out of place in Germantown or East Nashville, for example. But the height restriction is absolutely ridiculous to have inside the downtown loop south of Germantown. There should be none. There are no tranquil historic residential districts in SoBro to preserve for gods sake. The fact that there is an eight story height limit where the second project is proposed blows my mind. Why does that exist? What purpose could that possibly serve? I'll be so pissed off if they let this massive, game changing development slip away because of some imaginary bullshit like a height restriction in a neighborhood full of empty lots and aluminum warehouses. I mean, look at the rendering of this project. The surrounding neighborhood is hideous. It is absolute no man's land. This could be a catalyst to completely transform a part of the city that is currently a black eye on the CBD. I'm hoping beyond all hope that Nashville is able to get out of it's own way on these projects.

As for the designs of these towers, though they are boxes, they are, shall we say, very high quality boxes with some interesting design elements. So I've got to problems there myself.
I agree that there is absolutely nothing in the southern portion fo SoBro other than one church on Lafeyette near the old Sears building which I believe is a shelter now, that is worth saving. I no longer live in Nashville but when I return home I stil see the adult bookstore right off the interstate distracting from the view of downtown at night, and you're right everything else looks like metal or cheaply built warehouses. Nothing redeeming at all.

Germantown should have height restrictions, with lesser restrictions on Jefferson Street. East Nashville for the most part should also have height restrictions with lesser restrictions on Main Street. The Rutledge Hill area should also have height restrictions with 2nd Ave being the west boundary of those restrictions. While I don't like the height restrictions for Rolling Mill Hill, I can understand the upper portion having height restrictions, though I still think they don't need to be overly restrictive. Other areas that should have very limited if any height restrictions should include Mid-town, Metro Center, Trinity Lane/I-65, Charlotte Pike up to I-440, Church Street and the Fairgrounds area. The East Bank shouldn't have any height restrictions, but I suspect if and when development spreads to that area Nashville will have some initial restrictions that make no sense.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 2:10 PM

2-Tower Proposal for Midtown Moves Forward

The Nashville Post reported that a 2-tower development to be located at 19th & Broadway is now moving forward. The towers will be 22 and 14 stories, one residential the other a hotel.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/busines...-moves-forward

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 10:15 PM

Another rendering of City Lights:

http://meekspartners.com/city-lights...hlLUJvYXJkcw==

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 12:12 AM
Future God

Really disappointed with the massive thirty foot tall blank wall on that project.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 10:27 PM

Isn't the picture of City Lights flopped?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Isn't the picture of City Lights flopped?
Good catch! This is the current rendering:

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 2:38 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
I'd go so far as to guess that Nashville is one of a handful of 'it cities.' Like NYC, Austin, et. al., it may continue to defy national trends.
As an onlooker who enjoys reading about development, I definitely put Nashville in the same company as cities like Austin and Atlanta these days in terms of non-stop project announcements, many of which are skyline-changing.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Really disappointed with the massive thirty foot tall blank wall on that project.
That's along the alley. It shouldn't be very noticeable to 99% of people in the are.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:24 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHey View Post
That's along the alley. It shouldn't be very noticeable to 99% of people in the are.
Ahh, good to know! Thanks for the info. Yeah, other than the blank wall it's a fairly attractive project, though I definitely preferred the pre-height restriction proposal.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_TN View Post
Good catch! This is the current rendering:
I would really like to see if someone on the list could photoshop all the new buildings being built and proposed over this rendering. This is a view of Nashville that would show an awesome amount of change, from the Westlin tower to the Ascend amphitheater.
Anyone up to it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations