HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:36 AM

having some problems posting sorry

Last edited by kingranch51; Mar 26, 2008 at 4:49 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:56 AM

Some pics from 222 south

Last edited by kingranch51; Mar 26, 2008 at 5:09 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 6:08 AM

Thanks kingranch51, and welcome

I cant wait till these buildings starts really going vertical!

I can see the gap between the Wells Fargo and One Utah from the U everyday, and I cant wait to see 222 S main fill that!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 11:00 AM

Hey Steve, It was great to see so much enthusiasm over on the SLC Thread this morning, even from the middle of the night. Also great to see you, SLCrising jump right in over on the local forum, and now we have another photo enthusiast with Kingranch. A big welcome to you Kingranch, and great Pics!! You'll find that we love pics on the Wasatch Front Forums. When you get a chance, go over to the regional section also, under the title "Mountain West". You'll find a lot of great local guys posting over there.

Oh and Steve, we need to get some women forumers to start logging in. Any ladies you might know up at the U. of U., who might be in your classes and share the same interest, see if you can get them to start posting. It would be great if some of the 'building geek' professors started requiring their classes to become regular forumers.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 1:16 PM

Downtown Adj. - University of Utah -Univ. of Utah seeks input on an 'engaging' mixed-use development at site of parking area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroFanatic View Post
New look for lot at University of Utah
by Wendy Leonard

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695264781,00.html

photo by Mike Terry

Planners at the U. are seeking input from community members as well as interested developers who can help design and build a mixed-use development on the nearly eight acres directly west of Rice-Eccles Stadium — currently a slab of concrete parking stalls.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 3:55 PM

Salt Lake City Metro

Quote:
Train is out in front: Test runs preparing UTA's FrontRunner for commuters
by Arthur Raymond

http://deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,695264696,00.html

photo by Scott G. Winterton

A steady, low-level "whoosh" is the only sound you can hear as the cushy, bilevel car sways slightly. You'd think you were traveling at a leisurely, Sunday-drive pace if it weren't for the steady stream of freeway traffic that you can see being left behind.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:00 PM

Quote:
A steady, low-level "whoosh" is the only sound you can hear as the cushy, bilevel car sways slightly. You'd think you were traveling at a leisurely, Sunday-drive pace if it weren't for the steady stream of freeway traffic that you can see being left behind.
I love it!! These are exciting times along the Wasatch!!

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 4:08 PM

This is very exciting. Working and living here in Davis County, I have seen these trains running now for the last couple of weeks. I have seen them more lately than ever before. It is really cool to think that you can travel from Sandy to Ogden and never have to use your car. Exciting times ahead with all of the development that will take place along these corridors.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 5:07 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Welcome both SLCrising and kingranch51. I enjoyed the pics. Thanks.

I really like the new lights that are on the new "Walker sign" each night while working at the airport I can see the blue lights in the skyline from the airport. Some nights it's flashing blue while other nights it's just blue. Haven't seen red yet. However there is a storm coming in tonight so maybe i'll see it in red tonight. lol.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 7:05 PM

Blueprint expanding for SLC's 'Downtown Rising'

By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune - 03/26/2008

City Creek Center gets most of the ink. So do the office towers and new hotels in The Gateway district.
But developers say all of downtown Salt Lake City is in the midst of a makeover, which makes it one of the nation's most unique metropolitan areas.
Perched on the top floor of a capital high-rise this morning, Utah's governor joined the capital's mayor, business titans, key developers and financial captains for a comprehensive look at what has been dubbed "Downtown Rising."
New in the blueprint: The possibility of stretching residential units across dilapidated Regent Street, anchored by ground-floor specialty shops. There also could be a new condo tower on the corner of Regent and 100 South, directly across from an entry point to City Creek Center.
Stakeholders also are contemplating the relocation of the Salt Lake Arts Center from the Abravanel Hall plaza to a lot across from the Gallivan Center on Regent and 200 South. That could create space near Abravanel for a Broadway-class theater that arts insiders say would create a mini-Kennedy Center adjacent to the Salt Palace Convention Center.
"You can see why we're giddy with excitement," Downtown Alliance Executive Director Bob Farrington told the power brokers.
Still the price tag to overhaul the two blocks directly south of City Creek - both are in a redevelopment area - is estimated near $700 million.
Capital planners also are considering Main Street's Utah Theater as a future Broadway home, though any renovation would require the removal of a Rocky Mountain Power substation located to the rear.
Other developers outlined projects ranging from the $1.5 billion City Creek Center, a new office tower on 222 S. Main and a bevy of new lofts sprinkled throughout downtown. Much of it is scheduled for completion over the next five years.
Said developer Bruce Bingham: "Downtown Salt Lake City, pound for pound, has more going on than any city in America."

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 7:30 PM
New Coloradan

Thank you T-mac and Delts for the welcome, it's nice to be on a forum that is so interesting, I think I will have stuff to contribute here. I will check out the Mountain forum too, thanks for the suggestion.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 7:35 PM
New Coloradan

Regent St, is quite scarry, would be nice to see something more there, I also use those alley ways frequently as a short cut to the Gallivan Trax station from State/1st South and from O'Shucks.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 7:37 PM
New Coloradan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Welcome both SLCrising and kingranch51. I enjoyed the pics. Thanks.

I really like the new lights that are on the new "Walker sign" each night while working at the airport I can see the blue lights in the skyline from the airport. Some nights it's flashing blue while other nights it's just blue. Haven't seen red yet. However there is a storm coming in tonight so maybe i'll see it in red tonight. lol.
Thanks for the welcome Projects, I can see the Walker tower from my desk and saw it blue the past couple of mornings. No, haven't seen red either, not that I want to see any more snow or anything. So, flashing red = snow, steady red=rain, is that right? I think it uses the same schemes as the Trolley Square water tower.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post

This is very exciting. Working and living here in Davis County, I have seen these trains running now for the last couple of weeks. I have seen them more lately than ever before. It is really cool to think that you can travel from Sandy to Ogden and never have to use your car. Exciting times ahead with all of the development that will take place along these corridors.

Sounds sweet

I think that light rail should at least go as far north as Lagoon. Eventually I think it would be nice if either light rail or a street car ran from Provo to Ogden. Maybe out to Tooele. But the coolest thing would be if they could get it up the canyon and up to Park City, now that would be way awesome! Assuming thats even feasible.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 11:30 PM

Downtown - By Stevena07

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevena07 View Post
Metro Condos and 4th South

From today, pictures by me

The Metro Condos look like they are nearing completion Looks like a really nice building and will bring more residents to downtown.

The Metro and burger king

There has been some talk on what 4th South should be, so here are some pics just cause I was there. Oh and Urbanboy, I noticed 4th S has trees all along the street, they just look dead and arnt very prominent on the small side walks.

Looking West from the Library

Looking towards the U of U on 4th South.

I like the idea of bars and clubs for students and such, but I think it would be better if all of that was really concentrated downtown. I do think it would be nice to have the street narrowed to 2 lanes in each direction, and have more trees, benches, larger sidewalks, etc..

Old Posted Mar 26, 2008, 11:39 PM

Southern Utah's 'Otherworldly' Lake Powell panorama near kane canyon looking at the cookie jar into padre bay with dramatic storm clouds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCrising View Post
Regent St, is quite scarry, would be nice to see something more there, I also use those alley ways frequently as a short cut to the Gallivan Trax station from State/1st South and from O'Shucks.
Hey SLCrising, It would seem the latest news is telling us that Regent and 1st South is going to become one very jazzy corridor. I couldn't be happier. It makes total sense to me.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 27, 2008 at 1:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 2:09 AM
Let It Rise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCrising View Post
Thanks for the welcome Projects, I can see the Walker tower from my desk and saw it blue the past couple of mornings. No, haven't seen red either, not that I want to see any more snow or anything. So, flashing red = snow, steady red=rain, is that right? I think it uses the same schemes as the Trolley Square water tower.
Hi SLCrising,

I'm not sure if anyone replied to your question, but yes you are correct.

Walker Center Weather Tower
Blue: Clear skies
Flashing blue: Cloudy skies
Red: Rain
Flashing red: Snow

Anthony...

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 1:02 PM

Big plans: SLC in for extreme makeover
Utah capital's business owners are 'giddy with excitement' over projects

Panorama of the Salt Lake City skyline with snow capped mountains at spring, wasatch mountains, Utah

By Derek P. Jensen
The Salt Lake Tribune

Builders and bureaucrats revel in its rarity: a comprehensive metropolitan makeover that includes a new downtown core, a cultural upgrade and a condo boom.
Yet all of that and more will coalesce in downtown Salt Lake City - mostly through private cash - during the next five years. For much of that time, construction crews will outnumber retailers.
"Downtown Salt Lake City, pound for pound, has more going on than any city in America," developer Bruce Bingham told a roomful of power brokers Wednesday.
Perched on the top floor of a capital high-rise, Utah's governor joined Salt Lake City's mayor, business titans, key developers and financial captains for an overhead look at what has been dubbed "Downtown Rising."
New in the blueprint: The possibility of stretching residential units along dilapidated Regent Street, including at the old Tribune Building, anchored by street-level specialty shops. A new condo tower on the corner of Regent and 100 South could be coming - directly south of an entry point to the LDS Church's $1.5 billion City Creek Center. Regent eventually could be connected to Main Street.
Stakeholders also are contemplating the relocation of the Salt Lake Art Center from Abravanel Hall plaza to a lot across from the Gallivan Center on Regent and 200 South. That could clear space near Abravanel for a Broadway-class theater, creating a mini-Kennedy Center adjacent to the Salt Palace Convention Center.
In addition, new office towers and hotels are coming to The Gateway district (Hyatt Place will be done next summer). The 100-year-old Boston Building is being renovated just east of Main near 350 South while cranes are erecting a glass skyscraper on 222 S. Main. A hotel could sprout on Arrow Press Square. And scores of urban lofts are being leased or built from Pioneer Park to Marmalade west of Capitol Hill.
"You can see why we're giddy with excitement," said Bob Farrington, executive director of the Downtown Alliance.
Out-of-state developers were on hand for the showcase, designed, Farrington said, to spotlight downtown's "energy."
Still, the price tag to overhaul the two blocks directly south of City Creek - both are in a redevelopment area - is estimated near $700 million.
Capital planners also are considering Main Street's Utah Theater as a future Broadway home, though any renovation would require the removal of a Rocky Mountain Power substation in the rear. A location for a downtown theater - Sandy is plowing forward with its own mega-playhouse plan - is expected to be settled by late spring.
Architect Prescott Muir, who is completing a cultural-district master plan for the city, said theater planners hope to use a historic building for "authenticity."
"That's one of the things that distinguishes us from the suburbs," he told the group. "We have that kind of nitty-gritty character."
Mayor Ralph Becker argued Salt Lake City is uniquely suited as the state's commercial, educational, financial and religious center - all with an "unparalleled" natural setting. As such, he said, "I don't think there is any downtown in any city of this country that has the potential we have."
Some economic trends back that rationale, according to Jim Wood, director of the Bureau of Economic and Business Research at the University of Utah.
He noted the capital's hotel occupancy is the highest in 10 years, while the 40-block central business district boasts 65,000 jobs.
Despite Main Street's massive mall makeover, retail sales reached a record level last year, Wood said, buoyed by a resurgence in restaurants, which now account for 50 percent of downtown revenue. Retail numbers have climbed steadily since the Interstate 15 rebuild and The Gateway's opening in 2001.
One challenge, Wood said, is to add office space - a trend that has slowed since a 1980s boom. Even so, office jobs account for 82 percent of downtown employment and 90 percent of wages.
Wood said the central business district also can accommodate up to 3,000 more housing units - beyond the 700 to 900 planned at City Creek - given the empty nesters and overall growth of the area. Unlike the condo surge of the late 1970s, this time the market mostly is ready, Wood said.
"The question is how deep is that market?" he asked. "We don't know."
Developers concede they are in on the gamble. They are betting downtown's $223,000 average condo value will vault.
Gov. Jon Huntsman Jr. told the business leaders to strap in for the "wild ride," which he suggested could occur only in the nation's "most preferred state."
Downtown's biggest flaw: Traffic lights still are unsynchronized. Becker joked that he and the governor expect to remedy that as soon as they solve "poverty, climate change and world peace."

Beyond City Creek Center

Some other bold plans unveiled:
* Condos, with street-level shops, line Regent Street.
* Salt Lake Arts Center moves to Regent and 200 South, creating room by Abravanel Hall for possible Broadway Theater.
* Residential tower shadows 100 South across from City Creek Center.
* Hotels and office towers book-end The Gateway district.
* New retail, restaurant and office space with underground parking revitalize the two blocks south of City Creek Center.

Mark B. Gibbons, president of City Creek Reserve, the downtown Salt Lake City redevelopment arm of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, gives a presentation of the project's plans at the 2008 Downtown Economic Forum on Wednesday. (Al Hartmann/The Salt Lake Tribune )

Last edited by delts145; Mar 27, 2008 at 1:16 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 5:10 PM
New Coloradan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
Hi SLCrising,

I'm not sure if anyone replied to your question, but yes you are correct.

Walker Center Weather Tower
Blue: Clear skies
Flashing blue: Cloudy skies
Red: Rain
Flashing red: Snow

Anthony...
Thank you Anthony for that confirmation, wasn't sure what flahsing blue was, but it did snow this morning and I passed by downtown last night at 10.30 and it was flashing blue. I'm sure nobody was expecting the snow.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2008, 5:23 PM
New Coloradan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevena07 View Post
Sounds sweet

I think that light rail should at least go as far north as Lagoon. Eventually I think it would be nice if either light rail or a street car ran from Provo to Ogden. Maybe out to Tooele. But the coolest thing would be if they could get it up the canyon and up to Park City, now that would be way awesome! Assuming thats even feasible.
That is a great idea.

Even heard of a funicular? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funicular

But those are used on some pretty steep grades. What is the steepest grade in Parley's, 6%? What is the grade on 4th/5th South on the S curve?

The biggest problem with getting light rail up Parley's would be where to put it in the narrowest part of the canyon. Elevated would look out of place, would have to go in the freeway median.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations