HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Jun 22, 2006, 9:29 PM

Ok...this is getting a bit ridiculous...the Davenport Towers are barely out of the ground and you're all complaining like a bunch of wives.

Yes, WW got his main start in the building industry by taking distressed properties, rehabbing them and readapting them for use by governmental agencies...

But let's look at his private development work:

1) the Davenport...he spent $35m renovating that building...and is there 1 of you willing to criticize the results of that project?

2) the former Metropolitan Financial Services (n/k/a Wells Fargo) building: the work done there so far has been an improvement upon that property, imho;

3) Rock Pointe...while I wasn't a big fan of the Black and Red motif, the buildings were interesting and certainly not a blight on the city.

I really have a very difficult time believing that the Worthys would in any way jeopardize their investment in The Davenport and/or The Davenport brand by building a dump across the street...especially when it will be a part of the brand.

The amount of criticism and rampant rumor mongering (that there's no architect on the project and the Worthys are handling all of the design themselves or that the method of construction is potentially unsafe because some of the components are constructed off-site and then integrated into the project...lol) is way overboard at this point in the project.

I think the Worthys have built up a reservoir of goodwill based upon their prior major projects and they deserve to have people cut them some slack and trust their judgment a bit. Let the building take shape before savaging the design....or call up the architects and see if you can get some first hand information on the design and construction....or go to the building department folks and look at the plans....Sheesh!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2006, 11:18 PM

^Well said Crimson!!!! Let's just wait and see, then we can critique the building.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2006, 12:27 AM
A before E

actually a building of this size can be built without the help of an architect to design it. All it needs is someone liscenced to look over everything and approve it. I give Worthy alot of credit for what he has done in Spokane, I just don't see this tower being one of them.

Being an architecture student, I can see signs in the consruction that would lead me to believe what I have said. It also helps that since this project has been announced I have yet to hear a name of an architect, nor see one on the fence around the site.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2006, 12:57 AM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ I was also thinking they were the open slots for A/C going up the Tower! I'm sure they will be the highest quality Air Conditioners that money can buy though! They might still put some type of vent cover on the outside. Should be interesting to see the Air Conditioner sticking out at 20 or 21 floors above downtown Spokane! I do see the humor here!

I would think Walt would have an architect employed in his firm? They might not have the freedom for design expression, but I would think it would be required for a 20 story building!

This should be interesting to watch!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2006, 1:14 AM

I just walked by the job site and there is a sign for Bernardo Willis architects. They also show the Davenport Tower in their ads in the Journal of Business as one of their designs. I will say the north facing facade is interesting. The texture is fairly unique and the pre-fabricated panels are differnet colors. It should be interesting to see how it looks as a finished product.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2006, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonW
But let's look at his private development work:

1) the Davenport...he spent $35m renovating that building...and is there 1 of you willing to criticize the results of that project?
I'm thankful he and Avista worked to save that building. Still, the 7-8 story parking garage across the street w/no ground floor retail - dead zone for pedestrians-detracts IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonW
2) the former Metropolitan Financial Services (n/k/a Wells Fargo) building: the work done there so far has been an improvement upon that property, imho;
For over two decades it didn't need parking, he moves in and attaches a 4-5 story garage with the dumpster facing one of our better pedestrian friendly streets. Again no ground floor retail. Let's not even mention the addition of marble tiles to the first floor exterior.

You're quite correct, we should save the critique until it's complete and we've been able to walk through it. However, if someone's going to build something that large and prominent, it better work aesthetically.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2006, 3:29 PM

In light of our recent discussions, I happen to be more aware when driving past The Davenport Tower yesterday. I looked at the corner of Post and 1st and lo and behold was an air conditioner vent prominently positioned within one of the long, rectangular holes. However, what I did notice was the fact that it was not hanging out of the building, but flush with the exterior portion. At least that is better than hanging out.

I am positive that Bernardo Willis is the architect of the building.

Interesting article today regarding the Public Facilities District in the Spokesman. Looks like they are interested in purchasing the block directly across the street from the Opera House for Convention Center related activities. Obviously promising to see the removal of a surface lot.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2006, 7:40 PM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ I do think it is a good thing they are looking at a parking facility across from the Opera House with possible Convention Center expansion. I would think when they get around to the project in a few years, that they should involve another hotel.....Hyatt, ect.... into it, to provide more rooms close to the Convention Center. By that time, hopefully, the market can handle the extra rooms.

I'm trying to keep an open mind on the Davenport Tower. Should be interesting to watch, as we go through the rest of the year!
I was thinking they would put some type of vent cover on the tower, as it goes up!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2006, 8:24 PM

best case scenario for Dav Tower

Hey All,

I disagree with crimson regarding the man, myth and legend. Yeah, Walt Worthy has done some good things for Spokane - but I hardly admire the guy. He did some good historic preservation to keep most of the davenport in tact, but let's also remember that he messed up a whole end of the hotel so badly that he lost out on millions of historic preservation tax credits because of it so Spokanite aren't out on our own here by saying he makes some pretty major mistakes.

Rock Pointe - let's be honest - it's adequate building space
Wells Fargo Tower - Pink Marble = Improvement? I don't think so.

As far as the davenport tower goes: once the first couple floors get finished with awnings and windows it should look better and fortunately that's the stuff that most pedestrians notice, but the upstairs is going to be awful. There's no way of getting around it. Yes, I agree we should keep a positive attitude, BUT when you build with pre-caste concrete everybody can see exactly what the building is going to look like in the end b/c the finish of the outside has been pressed into the concrete.

I know I make it sound dire, but I don't think Worthy has been too great for architecture in our city when he had great opportunity. Great job on most of the dav hotel, but beside that really mediocre stuff.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2006, 10:55 PM
dance till you drop

perhaps the guy really admired the ugly look of Boise's Grove Hotel .

he just wanted Spokane to have an ugly hotel tower to

Old Posted Jun 24, 2006, 12:06 AM

I'm glad to know there are those of you out there with a crystal 8 ball that know what the building's going to look like as completed without having seen the plans or spoken with anyone with first hand knowledge.

I never proposed to saint the Worthys...I just think that on balance they've done way more good with their projects than otherwise, and I'm going to take a wait and see attitude. I do think the facade of the building is interesting thus far (from the pictures posted).

With respect to the Pennington Wing of the Davenport...let's be honest about that:

It was a mess...30 years ago it was a mess and sitting vacant for 15-20 years didn't do it any favor. Worthy always stated he wanted to save it but that it was in such bad condition that it didn't pencil out. And it's not like he didn't have professional advice on these matters. It was a judgment call...he took a chance and lost...but it was a calculated move.

I'm a member of the National Trust For Historic Preservation which prints up a booklet and mails it out with a listing and pictures of historic hotels around the country. The Pennington rebuild did cost the Worthys a substantial amount of tax credits because it was held to be non complying. But what's funny and ironic is that The Davenport is listed in the hotel booklet and the picture used is of the new Pennington wing...

If the building turns out to be ugly...I'll be as pissed as anyone...I'm just not going to sit here behind a keyboard and rip the project and its backers apart after barely 3 or 4 floors are out of the ground.

Bile should be saved for those who deserve it...like Mr. Reugh....and the entire Diamond Parking evil empire!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2006, 2:06 AM

crimsonw - well said. I humbly receive your statement and appreciate what you've said in that we shouldn't rip into worthy himself. That was poor form on my part and you're right. Hopefully you're right on this, maybe when it is all put together it will look good as a whole. cheers.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2006, 7:31 PM
A before E

I really wish that instead of trying to replicate the Pennington Wing which was something they really couldn't do. Instead, I wish they would of built something simple and modern, but then again for that to go right he would to have spend the money for a real architect like Peter Zumthor or somebody.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2006, 1:38 AM
Posh

http://www.spokanejournal.com/spokan...ticle&sub=2799

At top, the proposed condo structure, depicted from the south, would be 127 feet high and include four penthouse suites on the top floor. Below, this rendering depicts how the structure would look from the east. Renderings courtesy of Ankrom Moisan Associated Architects.

More riverbank condos planned
30-unit structure would sit just east of Flour Mill

By Rocky Wilson

A San Francisco company has filed an application with the city of Spokane for design review for a seven-story, 30-unit condominium building on the north side of the Spokane River just east of the Flour Mill.

The proposed 127-foot-high building would include approximately 56,600 square feet of living space, including roughly 8,500 square feet of space for four penthouse suites on the seventh floor, according to city records.

Alex Waterbury, a spokesman for the San Francisco company, Presidio Development Partners LLC, declines to elaborate on the project beyond the public filing, adding that “we hope to fly below the radar until we’ve reached the final design-review process.”

City records show that the project would be built on slightly more than one-third of an acre of land owned by GVL Investors LLC, of Tiburon, Calif., which also owns the Flour Mill. The condo building to be built there would be called the Upper Falls East Condominiums, but shouldn’t be confused with the Upper Falls Condominiums, which are being constructed on the west side of the Flour Mill by a group headed by Spokane businessman Don Barbieri.

The urban design staff of the city’s economic development department received Presidio Development’s application for a design review permit May 23 and has told the city’s Design Review Committee in a report “that the project meets the objectives of the Spokane Riverfront Development Program.” Still, the report goes on to suggest that the applicant submit north and south elevation studies for the project and address city codes and guidelines related to parking and landscaping.

The urban design staff report also says that the southwest edge of the site “appears” to be in a Federal Emergency Management Agency flood zone, an issue the report says will be addressed when the applicant applies for a Shoreline Conditional Use Permit for the project.

Design review is just one of many hurdles such a project must scale before receiving city approval to proceed, says Eric Coles, a project planner for the city.

“You can start the process other than with design review, but (the applicants) probably figured it would fall under design review eventually,“ Coles says.

Waterbury declines at this time to discuss either the estimated prices of the units or a timetable for project development.

According to city records, 16 of the living units would face to the south and include outdoor balconies facing the Spokane River. The other 14 units would face to the east and to the north, and include outdoor balconies with views of either the downtown area or the Spokane Veterans Memorial Arena.

The lower two levels of the condominium structure each would include three daylight condos facing the river and would be below ground level. The ground-level units would include two condos that also would face south toward the river. City records say levels four through six each would include six condominium units.

The four penthouse suites would range in size from a 1,550-square-foot unit that would face north to a 2,600-square-foot unit that would face south overlooking the river. The living units on the first six levels would vary in size greatly, from 700 square feet to 1,900 square feet, the plans say.

The northern two-thirds of the property would be occupied by both ground level and below ground level parking that would provide a total of 50 parking spaces, say the plans.

The applicant’s description of the project, the address of which would be 607 W. Mallon, says, “no direct access to the Spokane River is available or even feasible from the project site, as it is situated on a basalt bluff above a waterfall bend in the river.”

Old Posted Jun 25, 2006, 2:38 AM

Sustainable: If I came across as being too strident toward you then I apologize.

I guess I come from a point of view best characterized as being 1) happy that someone is doing something to build Spokane into the city we all think it is and could be. The Worthys, Wellses, Brewster, McDowells et al. have built up some credits in the bank as far as I'm concerned and I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt; and 2) it's like football...I love college football...specifically the Cougs...and I really try very hard not to second guess coaching decisions...because compared to the coaches...I don't know squat about football...this is the same to me...I've never built a 20 story building (or any building for that matter)...and my money/business/livelihood/reputation aren't on the line...so I don't have a lot of room to be a critic right now....but...if the building detracts from the City...well then I'll have been personally wronged and the gloves will come off

Urbanlife: I don't know this to be true...but I think they tried to replicate the old Pennington in an effort to qualify for the tax credits.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2006, 4:31 AM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ On the PBS broadcast a few years ago, Walt stated that people recommended a different style of building for the Pennington addition, since the original was being demolished. He wanted to keep with Louis Davenport's intent with a Spanish style and kept it in that style. I understand his rationale for that. I respect his decision to be true to the past. True, there might be a better style...but he is the one spending the money!

I notice on the Emporis Website they updated the number of stories for the Davenport Tower to 20. It was less the last time I checked.

I think with the Davenport Tower, we all know with probably 75% probablity the way it will look. If you compare the photos here to the rendering in the J of B, you can even see the vents in the rendering. I do think details also make the building/project, so we will see how that makes the difference, as the building advances. You have to admit, Walt has kept a theme with the Pennington addition, garage and Tower......even if you don't care for his decisions. Hopefully, it will all work out in the end!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2006, 10:51 PM
A before E

The northbank is really becoming a hotbed of condo development for the city. The building just west of the flour mill looks pretty good. I can easily see the old bread warehouse just west of that turning into a huge residential project in coming years as well.

It will be nice to see the urban activity in the city could soon be showing up more in other locations other than the couple they have right now.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2006, 12:19 AM

^ You are right urbanlife. I was downtown today at hoopfest and the potential on the northside of the river is so great. With the Kendall yards project, Upperfalls and maybe the poject east of the flour mill, I could easily see someone investing in a condo tower where the old bread factory is. Actually, everyrthing between the courthouse and the arena has alot of potential. As I was walking around downtown, I was just looking and thinking about all of the potential that downtown Spokane has!!! It is amazing!!!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2006, 12:37 AM
A before E

if someone does invest in the old bread factory, I would hope that they keep the building on the southend of the lot to convert into townhouses and condos, then use the open land and other two lesser buildings (which would be torn down) for a new complex, my guess two to three mid sized towers and a parking garage, with shops alon the first floor on the all sides exept for the southside.....yeah I haven't been thinking about this one at all. Hell I wish I had the money to get an idea like this off the ground.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2006, 1:27 AM
Hub for an Empire

^^^^ The North bank , just north of Riverfront Park was where they were wanting housing to go in after Expo. Nice to see, even if it took 32 years to materialize!
I agree, keep the older buildings and bring them up to today's uses.....develope where there is open land and parking lots!
Should be interesting to see if the North bank gets the Science Center/development, with the new movement of Condos on the river?
Hopefully, Retail and other services will bring a renewed interest in the Flour Mill, it's been a few years since I was in the building! I would think extra people living in the area will generate business!

True, lots of projects are happening in Spokane!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West