HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 10:23 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Walters Street Street Scape Renderings

This was on the HDRC's agenda.

Go to Movement For for more information.

Looking from the new 35/Walters Street overpass:

Old Posted Dec 10, 2009, 9:02 PM

This is going to be a HUGE improvement in that area. It'll help that area a bit.

Also looks like there is going to be some new housing on the other side of I-35. I would have prefered multi-family housing in that area. You can get a decent going rate for rent since the minimum housing allowance for a single enlisted servicemember is around $850. The area needs more options for new construction, multi-family housing.

from bizjounals.com
Quote:
City, developer team up to add affordable housing on East side

Franklin Development and the San Antonio Housing Authority (SAHA) will break ground on a new affordable housing community in the Sutton Homes neighborhood on Dec. 15.

The 1950s-era buildings at Sutton Homes, located at 909 Runnels Ave., are being demolished to make way for the new development that will total 50 homes. The partnership between Franklin Development, a San Antonio-based company founded in 1995 by Aubra Franklin, and SAHA secured tax-credit funding and commitments for Replacement Housing Funds, Neighborhood Stabilization Funds and conventional lending for the project during the recent Texas Legislature session.

“The new Sutton Homes development is the vision of (Aruba) Franklin, SAHA and the entire East Side community and will provide a vital community link for working families to enjoy high-quality living,” says Ryan Wilson, vice president of Franklin Development. He adds that the development will be “one of San Antonio’s premier mixed- income communities.”

In an effort to make the new development eco-friendly, the building pads of the old units have been crushed and the recycled concrete will be used in the foundations for the new buildings. In addition, energy efficient materials, such as windows and insulation, will be used to enhance long-term sustainability. Franklin says it is also preserving many of the existing heritage trees as a vital part of the green space and park areas within the community.

“This new mixed-income community, which includes a combination of public-housing, tax-credit and market-rate units, is a significant investment in San Antonio’s East Side, close to other revitalization efforts like the BRAC project,” says Lourdes Castro Ramirez, SAHA president and CEO.

When completed, the new development will include a clubhouse, lush landscaping, a youth activity center and upgraded interiors.
Edit:
Guess I shouldn't have been too quick to assume single family when I read about this one. I see the elevations on the SAHA website and read that it will be up to 400 units built in 2 phases. Now I'm actually quite impressed and interested on how this one will turn out.
400 units in a mixed-income neighborhood is going to make quite an impact in the area. I know that this project alone won't save the entire east side, but at least now it looks like they have a strategy.
Here's hoping for more.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; Dec 12, 2009 at 12:25 AM. Reason: research done

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio