HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jul 12, 2013, 3:56 PM
Kodachrome

In todays Sacramento Business Journal

Old Posted Jul 14, 2013, 1:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
In todays Sacramento Business Journal

nice shopping district in railyards is a good replacement for downtown plaza

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 3:31 PM

Sacramento's downtown railyard nears sale to local developer

Sacramento's downtown railyard nears sale to local developer

By Tony Bizjak
Sacramento Bee
7/23/2013

"Sacramento's dormant downtown railyard is on the verge of changing hands again – this time to a local developer who said he intends to finally realize the city's longtime vision of turning the former industrial hub into a major extension of downtown."

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/07/23/558...=Latest%20News

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 2:21 AM
Hindrance to Development

Hopefully they stick fairly close to the original plan for the Railyards--the one that envisioned a lot of high-density housing, as many as 10,000 units, in the project site, rather than adding to the glut of offices in downtown Sacramento and the glut of commuters driving in and out from the suburbs. The developer has experience at McClellan, so he's used to sites that have brownfield/toxics issues. Interesting to see what happens next--and very indicative of the market that Inland finally picked someone to buy the property from them after sitting on it through the recession.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2013, 10:19 PM
NIMBY Hater

Cool video from the city about the train depot renovation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpPtBTdUREc

Old Posted Nov 19, 2013, 5:20 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
Cool video from the city about the train depot renovation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpPtBTdUREc

Thanks for sharing. Its a jewel for downtown.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 1:34 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
Thanks for sharing. Its a jewel for downtown.
Whats the price tag? How much public money has and will be used? I think we should stop the work until the people of Sacramento vote on weather they want public funds to be used.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 1:03 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSac View Post
Whats the price tag? How much public money has and will be used? I think we should stop the work until the people of Sacramento vote on weather they want public funds to be used.
Those affluent rail execs can use their own funds!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 1:47 AM

Quote:
What about the schools and firefighters??

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 1:52 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
Those affluent rail execs can use their own funds!
Ya know at first I was just trying to make a point about the double standard regarding the use of public funds concerning the Arena. But you got a point there, locomotive engineers make $150,000 - $200,000. Railyard Unions are very lucrative and negotiate big bucks for RR employees.

The whole railroad industry is flush and doing quite well. Couldn't they have forked over some big cash for this remodel.

Exactly how much is this remodel costing? Where's the transperancy?

I actually love that the depot is being restored to its old glory, love glorious architecture, love trains, and train travel!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2013, 5:21 AM
Here we stAy

Maybe UPRR and BNSF could fund the much needed move of the depot closer to the realigned tracks.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2013, 5:32 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Lol

I know what you're saying. I believe we can do all the above; rail depot, new ESC, Powerhouse Science Center, more downtown housing. But as somebody who's in the process of moving back to the central city, I do so with the expectation that we will have a new ESC under construction by this time next year. This project holds more promise to attract more people to live downtown than any project in decades.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 2:53 AM
Hindrance to Development

(Relocated from the arena thread, since we were talking Railyards as a university location.)

Quote:
Love the idea of the Railyards as a College, at least part of it.
Perhaps an arm of UC Davis, Santa Clara University, Stanford, UOP. I prefer UC Davis which could morph into it's own UC Sacramento eventually. How about another west coast Emerson College? Have you seen the new Emerson College on Sunset in Hollywood? TWO VIDEOS.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2013/0...new_campus.php

Natural progression, UC Berkeley started Davis, UC Davis starts Sacramento.

It could be a great fit, I see no reason why downtown, west sac, railyards doesn't develop into a high profile private tech environment of very small to medium size private companys, Not only tech, but private companys to change up the employment force downtown beyond mostly state workers.

A good mix of an anchor University, varied employers, lots and lots of residences to keep the place affordable for low wage earners along with high end housing.

UC Davis is part of the University of California system--it was the second UC campus, followed by UC Riverside, Los Angeles and so on, the most recent being UC Merced in 2005. Creating a new UC would require action by the UC Board of Regents, and it's unlikely they would open another school so close to an existing UC campus, in a city where that UC already has an established presence (UCDMC, which is UC Davis' medical school.)

The problem with "tech" companies is that tech startups tend to be relatively small in terms of employees, so even a place with a lot of tech companies may not employ very many people. It's also hard to pry Silicon Valley money out of Silicon Valley, and Sacramento-area money tends to loathe the idea of doing anything downtown, with a few notable exceptions. But industries that actually build or make things don't have the glamor of tech, which is why West Sacramento tends to nab things like soy sauce and spice factories, microbreweries and other food-processing industry. The Railyards has room for quite a bit--hopefully the new owner hasn't totally abandoned the idea of housing (the last I heard, he planned on reducing the initially projected 10,000 housing units to maybe half that, at most) but his past experience with industrial properties like McClellan suggest that he might be open to potential industrial uses.

Sacramento does still build things, however: Siemens just scored a contract to build diesel-electric locomotives for American HSR lines elsewhere in the country. http://www.dw.de/siemens-wins-us-hig...-ge/a-17503466

One possible facility that could be located in the Railyards, if the city is willing to seriously amend the Railyards plan, is to turn 50 or so acres of it back into railyards--a maintenance facility for Amtrak "Capitol Corridor" and "San Joaquin" trains, to facilitate running more of each train, as the existing maintenance facility at Oakland has reached its capacity. Two proposed locations for the facility were in the "Centrage" site north of East Sacramento, or just west of Business 80 south of the American River, but the former is planned for the "McKinley Village" development and the other site is envisioned for an expanded Sutter's Landing Park. The only other location that is suitable for rail facilities serving both Capitol Corridor and San Joaquin trains would be the eastern half of the Railyards, in the portion east of 7th Street. This facility would help support expanded regional transportation options, and create quite a few jobs in a professional sector that is currently under-represented--and there's a certain circular irony in converting the 19th century Railyards, even in part, into 21st century railroad shops.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 4:01 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
(Relocated from the arena thread, since we were talking Railyards as a university location.)

It's also hard to pry Silicon Valley money out of Silicon Valley, and Sacramento-area money tends to loathe the idea of doing anything downtown, with a few notable exceptions.
[/url]

This facility would help support expanded regional transportation options, and create quite a few jobs in a professional sector that is currently under-represented--
What about the Catholic College that had big plans east of Rancho but got shot down? Or an Art Academy of Sacramento? Or the a NorCal Emerson College.

Hello, Silicon Valley money will be pumping $500 million to $1 billion into downtown Sacramento.

Too bad, Sacramento money is so "anti-urban", but who funded the Crocker? Raley, did they actually fund Raley Field, provide the land?

Seems like every high profile project we have is Bay Area money: Joie de Vivre, JMA, Mondavi, Apple, Intel, H/P, host of smaller companies.

Seimans, I'm exicted about the latest contract, do they give tours?

Are you saying a new railyard maintenance facility would have a bigger economic impact then 20 or so small tech firms?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2014, 8:07 PM
Hindrance to Development

Quote:
What about the Catholic College that had big plans east of Rancho but got shot down? Or an Art Academy of Sacramento? Or the a NorCal Emerson College.
Hello, Silicon Valley money will be pumping $500 million to $1 billion into downtown Sacramento.
Too bad, Sacramento money is so "anti-urban", but who funded the Crocker? Raley, did they actually fund Raley Field, provide the land?
Seems like every high profile project we have is Bay Area money: Joie de Vivre, JMA, Mondavi, Apple, Intel, H/P, host of smaller companies.
Seimans, I'm exicted about the latest contract, do they give tours?
Are you saying a new railyard maintenance facility would have a bigger economic impact then 20 or so small tech firms?
The Catholic college was a "sweetener" to facilitate approval of allowing a huge amount of new sprawl around it--and the college itself backed out, but because it's AKT, the sprawl got approved anyhow.

There is an Art Institute of California in Sacramento, it's in an office park in Natomas with an enormous parking lot. In my mind, it's a huge waste of opportunity, compared to selecting a site in the central city with direct access to central city galleries, design firms and other useful "artistic infrastructure"--the arts community absolutely requires a walkable place for most effective networking within the entertainment/arts economy.

I'm not talking about charitable giving (although Sacramento also scores very, very low for charitable giving among its regional wealthy) or the Kings ownership group (that investment is about the Kings, not a tech industry development) or even satellite facilities by tech companies. What I'm talking about is investment in startups, although admittedly, most of my knowledge is secondhand, from friends in entrepreneurial circles who complain about the relative lack of investors for tech companies.

And yes, in terms of actual jobs created, a railroad maintenance facility might have a bigger economic impact than 20 or so small tech firms, if those small firms have a few employees each, and the maintenance facility employs a few hundred. It's not that I oppose the idea of tech companies (it's important, especially in an administrative city, and I have tech work in my own background) but in general it's not a market sector with a huge employment base (you won't see huge shifts in employment sector even if there are a lot of tech companies.) Austin, for example, is considered a "tech city" but tech employment in Austin is only about 4% of the employment base (in Sacramento, it's about 2%.)

Old Posted Mar 20, 2014, 3:55 AM
CHACUN SON GOÛT

Quote:

And yes, in terms of actual jobs created, a railroad maintenance facility might have a bigger economic impact than 20 or so small tech firms, if those small firms have a few employees each, and the maintenance facility employs a few hundred. It's not that I oppose the idea of tech companies (it's important, especially in an administrative city, and I have tech work in my own background) but in general it's not a market sector with a huge employment base (you won't see huge shifts in employment sector even if there are a lot of tech companies.) Austin, for example, is considered a "tech city" but tech employment in Austin is only about 4% of the employment base (in Sacramento, it's about 2%.)
The NIMBY's would freak if a maintenance facility was built, from midtown to McKinley Park to River Park.

It's weird that the NIMBYs kept quiet about the Calexpo Soccer stadium, or are they gearing up to strike soon, and restrict and control the activities at the stadium, such as concerts, cuz they have been talking about diversifying the use of that Soccer stadium.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 4:41 PM

Quote:
but in general it's not a market sector with a huge employment base (you won't see huge shifts in employment sector even if there are a lot of tech companies.) Austin, for example, is considered a "tech city" but tech employment in Austin is only about 4% of the employment base (in Sacramento, it's about 2%.)
*cough*multiplier effect*cough*. Seriously, that 4% in Austin is what is driving that city's growth, because the TX gov't certainly isn't so much.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 7:33 PM
Hindrance to Development

*cough*tech bubble*cough*

If a 2% shift in employment base is all that is needed, then why all the calls for a radically realigned economy? And could Sacramento feasibly compete with Silicon Valley for that tech market?

Transportation infrastructure also has a multiplier effect. Increased transit connectivity between the Sacramento Valley and Silicon Valley (via increased Capitol Corridor/San Joaquin runs) could help facilitate the kind of capital exchange to bump our tech employment by the 2% we'd need to give Austin a run for its money. Not to mention how a larger tech economy could help facilitate state government; there are already some local incubator groups working on the issue of how to solve public administration problems using crowdsourced tech solutions.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
*cough*tech bubble*cough*
Yes, multiplier effects have their downsides too.....

Quote:
And could Sacramento feasibly compete with Silicon Valley for that tech market?
For a time, it seemed that their lesser operations would get sent out here, with HP in Roseville, and Intel in Folsom. However, I begin to think the state as a whole is just too costly a place to do business....

Quote:
Transportation infrastructure also has a multiplier effect. Increased transit connectivity between the Sacramento Valley and Silicon Valley (via increased Capitol Corridor/San Joaquin runs) could help facilitate the kind of capital exchange to bump our tech employment by the 2% we'd need to give Austin a run for its money.
I doubt a single soul working at HP or Intel has taken the train from San Jose and back. The Capitol Corridors and San Joaquins might give Greyhound a run for its money--if they were on time more often than not--but other than getting in the way of UP and BNSF freight operations, what do they realistically do?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 12:13 AM
Hindrance to Development

I doubt nobody at HP or Intel hasn't taken a Cap Corridor train at some point, but they're a small part of overall ridership on one of the busiest intercity lines in the country, with a 95%+ on-time rate. Having ridden Cap Corridor a lot, it's nothing like the crowd on Greyhound. Lots of suits and students, onboard wi-fi means you can work on the train and stay in touch, unlike driving. They also run more trains to Roseville, Rocklin and even Reno these days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area