HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 7:12 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernlad View Post
Beautiful! Your photos are worth a million words.
The pristine natural superiority of Boise is what makes it such a unique city.
Thanks! It's always exciting to see deer walking around in the downtown area and really puts into perspective where this city is situated and that this was (and still is) home to the wild things before humans settled the valley.

Another unique aspect of Boise is our downtown and creative dining and libation scene. If you have the chance get out of Salt Lake for a mini vacation and check out our Idaho beer and wine and farm to table dining at some great local restaurants. You either have to visit here or Denver or further to Portland to find this type of vibe and scene in the region as well as enjoy a vibrant walkable downtown that also has life after dark. Treefort is in March and would be great time to visit or even later in Spring when it is warmer and you can cycle, or easily walk through downtown and along the greenbelt and hit some of the breweries and local wine tasting shops or just check out the downtown shopping.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Dec 30, 2017 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2017, 7:25 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
Two concepts have emerged for the new main library. These were presented last week at the City Council Work Session.

Option 1 is a remodel/rebuild and seems to be the preferred option. The 4 story original building would be kept, and the 1 story portion demolished and replaced. A theater would be added on the corner of River and Capitol. Parking would be in an off property parking garage. They mentioned that they were in the process of negotiating for a garage access/new garage somewhere close. This would place back of house operations in the original building.

Option 2 is replaces all of the building and has on-site parking on River above the Arts and History portion of the building. This is the more expensive out of the two options.

Both library concepts are oriented towards the river. The plan is to include the Arts and History department along River street, ground level, to activate 8th street/river street. From the work session last week, it sounds like the theater would be a flat theater with movable seating. This would allow it the greatest freedom in configuration and allow different types of groups to utilize it.
I hope they can ultimately incorporate the Log Cabin into all of this.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
Thanks! It's always exciting to see deer walking around in the downtown area and really puts into perspective where this city is situated and that this was (and still is) home to the wild things before humans settled the valley.
It seems deer have adapted surprisingly well to urban areas. They're becoming a nuisance or even a public danger in many cities. Colorado Springs recorded 169 deer vs. vehicle accidents last year. They're considering urban hunting to control the population.

http://gazette.com/deer-overpopulati...rticle/1617844

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 9:18 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPVLIVE View Post
It seems deer have adapted surprisingly well to urban areas. They're becoming a nuisance or even a public danger in many cities. Colorado Springs recorded 169 deer vs. vehicle accidents last year. They're considering urban hunting to control the population.
They are resilient for sure. Earlier this week a pack of wolves was spotted in the Foothills above the city, hopefully they don't decide to wander down into town.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2017, 9:58 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

This morning I met some friends down at the new Form & Function coffee house at street level in The Fowler and the construction on the building looks to be finally winding down.

I really like that the new apartments being built in downtown Boise have retail on the first floor, like many of our parking garages do. Retail obviously adds great street engagement to our vibrant downtown. I believe the 5th & Idaho apartments under construction will also have ground floor retail as well as a pocket park.

After coffee, I shot these of The Fowler and also The Watercooler on Idaho Street on my way home. I realize I've posted a fair amount of photos recently, but it's a holiday week(end), traffic here at SSP is slow, so why not

I am excited to see the new Eco District aka The Central Addition LIV District take shape.

Here are some #development photos.
http://www.thefowlerboise.com/

I have not eaten here yet...has anyone looking at this been there yet?
https://www.thewylderboise.com/

Form & Function
https://www.formandfunctioncoffee.com/
https://www.facebook.com/formandfunctioncoffee/

Excellent coffee and beer next door to each other

The Watercooler Apartments
14th & Idaho
http://www.watercoolerlcc.com/

Looks like another retail unit getting some TI's?

and the artistic west wall

Old Posted Jan 1, 2018, 7:49 PM

New mix-use apartment complex going on Parkcenter across the Washington Group Complex (now St. Luke's) and to the south of the Ram. It is replacing a current surface parking lot. There will be 70 units for 55+ residents and 76 market rate units. It is also planned to have 7,000 sqft of commercial space along the Boise River. The rest of the ground floor is taken up by parking. Its also interesting to note that there is a 49 parking stall easement for St. Luke's. Its a nice/needed piece of density for downtown though it's a little disappointing that there isn't more street level interaction along Parkcenter.
Don Day posted a story on it this morning:
https://boisedev.com/news/2017/12/31...t-on-park-blvd
PDS Online:
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=CAR17-00028

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisenative View Post
I've been away lately, but I couldn't help but share this news:

https://idahobusinessreview.com/2017...-broad-street/

Link to tweet: https://twitter.com/IBRnews/status/939666084797411328
Design review information has been submitted for the new residential/office towers on Broad St. Overall, a good looking addition to our city. I'm a little disappointed that there isn't more retail/ground level interaction along Broad St, especially with the large investment CCDC has put in the area. I'm still curious how the city will take the garage bridge.
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=DRH17-00586

Old Posted Jan 2, 2018, 4:10 PM

These are exciting developments to anticipate. Thanks for the info TVurban and thanks for the photos Sawtooth. I didn't realize that The Fowler will have public parking inside of it.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:41 AM
Closed account

Project: 5th & Broad Street
Broad Street Towers 314 S 5th Street
Mix Use 11 story condos and 9 story office parking garage
Isabella Condos
Hummel Architects
Greg Allen Architect
Scot Ludwig Broad Street Properties LLC

Great looking project (IMO)

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:49 AM

Thanks for sharing all these renderings. Some nice design elements in the north tower. But after the City just finished the great LIV district streetscaping with permeable pavers, greenscapes, etc. the first development proposal on Broad would cover it up with a soaring parking garage?! No thanks!!!

I get the need for parking -- but whether it's the Carley hotel, these towers, Pioneer Crossing, etc. I think it will be a massive mistake to allow the parking feature be the central design element and influence of development in the City's core.

Quote:
Design review information has been submitted for the new residential/office towers on Broad St. Overall, a good looking addition to our city. I'm a little disappointed that there isn't more retail/ground level interaction along Broad St, especially with the large investment CCDC has put in the area. I'm still curious how the city will take the garage bridge.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 4:56 AM

The city should only approve the bridge over Broad with the condition that it includes a large publicly accessible space and has dynamic lighting from below. This isn't a very good precedent to set, as they are essentially giving the builders free space, and then what stops the next guy from asking for the same thing until the common man only exists in a dystopian underworld. It's very interesting and I'd like to see it get built, but it's sketchy for a lot of reasons.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 2:44 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...192683149.html

Float the Boise from Barber Park all the way to Veterans Memorial? It might happen.

Quote:
Work has just begun on the Boise Whitewater Park’s second phase, and already there’s talk of a third one.

There are no firm plans, nor has the city entered official talks with the various organizations that would need to be on board. But the implications are beyond anything the Whitewater Park’s first or second phases can offer.

Phase 1, completed in 2012, has a single dam-like structure that creates a variety of wave shapes. Phase 2, a half-mile long, will have three wave-shaping features.

The third phase would add a wave shaper to the dam at the Settler’s Irrigation District diversion just upstream of Americana Boulevard — the dam that Boise River summer floaters are warned to avoid just past the last take-out point at the Ann Morrison Park footbridge.

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...#storylink=cpy
Quote:
“When Phase 2 is complete, we will have an aquatic complex like no other in the country,” Holloway said in an email. “When you combine more than 65 acres of connected ponds [in Esther Simplot Park and Quinn’s Pond] adjacent to a mile-long park in and along the river, you create an amazing recreation amenity, free and accessible to all.”
http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...hase%202%20NEW

Old Posted Jan 3, 2018, 3:12 PM

https://www.unitedvanlines.com/conta...ove-west-south

Americans are moving westward, flocking to the Mountain and Pacific West

As a region, the Mountain West continues to increase in popularity with 54 percent of moves being inbound. The West is represented on the high-inbound list by Oregon (65 percent), Idaho (63 percent), Nevada (61 percent) Washington (59 percent), and Colorado (56 percent).

Quote:
Moving In
The top inbound states of 2017 were:
1. Vermont
2. Oregon
3. Idaho
4. Nevada
5. South Dakota
6. Washington
7. South Carolina
8. North Carolina
9. Colorado
10. Alabama
Quote:
Moving Out
The top outbound states for 2017 were:
1. Illinois
2. New Jersey
3. New York
4. Connecticut
5. Kansas
6. Massachusetts
7. Ohio
8. Kentucky
9. Utah
10. Wisconsin

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 12:45 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:

Hot. Two more parking lots potentially being planted with new buildings. I like this and the parking garage doesn't bother me because the tenants and office workers will need to park somewhere and it will keep them off of sexy new Broad Street so that the rest of us can enjoy the new investments the city and CCDC put into Broad St.

City and Developer, please make sure there is ample retail space on the first floor of the garage and public art is incorporated into the sky bridge. And, a lot of parking for bikes.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 11:35 PM

Wow that residential/office tower proposal is beautiful. It would be an amazing addition to that part of the downtown area. I hope it gets done.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2018, 11:44 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
Wow that residential/office tower proposal is beautiful. It would be an amazing addition to that part of the downtown area. I hope it gets done.
yep.

and in case anyone's wondering, the height of the north tower is listed at 158" in the elevations, while the south tower is 118".

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 8:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trails View Post
Thanks for sharing all these renderings. Some nice design elements in the north tower. But after the City just finished the great LIV district streetscaping with permeable pavers, greenscapes, etc. the first development proposal on Broad would cover it up with a soaring parking garage?! No thanks!!!

I get the need for parking -- but whether it's the Carley hotel, these towers, Pioneer Crossing, etc. I think it will be a massive mistake to allow the parking feature be the central design element and influence of development in the City's core.

I agree with you!

This is a "LIV" District? How is putting a disguised mid-rise parking garage there sustainable? It is not, this is promoting car usage which will pollute more in the area. Yeah lets build a parking garage in a walkable area so they can pollute all the people.. and call it an innovative area. Parking garages are outdated and not innovative.

The other tower is good. Good to see Boise getting some more modest urban designs. I just moved to Seattle from Boise and the urban architecture here is like years ahead and insane with boldness. Boise will hopefully get there some day once the design review gets refreshed

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
It looks classy.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 7:17 PM
Certified Idahoan

I don't know. The render looks ok as is, but imagining cars in those parking levels would bring the whole look way down. If they do a much better job of screening the garage portion, especially the levels with the sky-bridge, I could get on board. As is, I believe this design needs some work.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2018, 8:04 PM

Here's an update to the proposed residential infill near St. Mary's Crossing on State Street.

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=CAR17-00019

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=PUD17-00026

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West