HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
https://communityimpact.com/austin/n...ment-in-limbo/

I doubt that most of that land area will ever be built out in New Urbanist fashion.
I'd claim the area has at least as much _potential_ as the overall N Burnet/Gateway area. Now what will happen in practice, who knows for sure, but that's the same with Burnet.

It's got most of the same advantages as Burnet (potential rail connectivity, highway access) and has the additional advantage of having a single owner and the ability to be developed as an overall PUD. Burnet is great, but it's got a hundred individual owners all pulling in their own directions. + UT smack dab in the middle who didn't want to participate.

The only downside compared to Burnet is being _slightly_ further out. But once you're a 24 minute ride (red line) to Burnet, being 30 minutes out (Howard station) isn't that much more.

And if even 10% is developed as urbanist, that's another Mueller.

RE: it being in "Limbo", it's another crappy CI article. It was always intended that the development wouldn't occur yet.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 10:38 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I'd claim the area has at least as much _potential_ as the overall N Burnet/Gateway area. Now what will happen in practice, who knows for sure, but that's the same with Burnet.

It's got most of the same advantages as Burnet (potential rail connectivity, highway access) and has the additional advantage of having a single owner and the ability to be developed as an overall PUD. Burnet is great, but it's got a hundred individual owners all pulling in their own directions. + UT smack dab in the middle who didn't want to participate.

The only downside compared to Burnet is being _slightly_ further out. But once you're a 24 minute ride (red line) to Burnet, being 30 minutes out (Howard station) isn't that much more.

And if even 10% is developed as urbanist, that's another Mueller.

RE: it being in "Limbo", it's another crappy CI article. It was always intended that the development wouldn't occur yet.
We're going to need an additional two or three major urban centers over the next few decades, and this is likely to contain one of them. I just don't think it'll be that much of the land area.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2016, 3:36 PM

The 11-story Domain Tower started construction a few days before Christmas according to the ABJ.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...-over-the.html

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 5:34 PM

Regarding the discussion of the relocation of the Kramer Red Line stop, I ran across this interesting CapMetro document (I was actually looking for details on the "mobility hubs" they've mentioned).

https://www.capmetro.org/uploadedFil...tory-Table.pdf

It's linked from Project Connect (which is still, sort of, around).

It mentions a new

New Braker (infill) station and improved amenities

It also mentions
Kramer Station relocation (to Broadmoor) and improved amenities

Which has me a bit stumped. The only Broadmoor in Austin (at least according to google maps) isn't located near the rail.

Ah, found it.

https://www.capmetro.org/uploadedFil...l-Red-Line.pdf

Broadmoor is apparently in the IBM site?

Edit: Ah, I feel a bit silly. Broadmoor being the name of the campus was even earlier in this thread. I was looking for a crossing street (which is how most of the other stations are identified).

Last edited by Novacek; Jan 24, 2017 at 8:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 8:15 PM

Quote:

Broadmoor is apparently in the IBM site?
That is the site that would serve the redeveloped IBM campus and probably the new Charles Schwab campus as well. The developer has filed for a zoning change (to TOD) that would potentially allow for heights of up to 360 feet. My understanding is that the developer will be paying some or all of the costs of relocating the Kramer station. If/when Broadmoor, Charles Schwab, and the Domain buildings fronting Burnet are completed and at capacity that will be a huge concentration of employment within a half mile of a rail stop. Possibly even the highest concentration of jobs surrounding ANY Capmetro stop, bus or rail.

The proposed Braker station is curious. At the moment, there's nothing there to serve except some fast food restaurants and a gas station. It wouldn't even be very far removed from the old Kramer station. There is a lot of land on the south side of Braker near the rail but I have not seen any proposals to develop it.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 8:21 PM

^Good find Novacek, it is my understanding that they will help pay for the station as ATXSnail suggested. This attachment is helpful.
https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=760258

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
The proposed Braker station is curious. At the moment, there's nothing there to serve except some fast food restaurants and a gas station. It wouldn't even be very far removed from the old Kramer station. There is a lot of land on the south side of Braker near the rail but I have not seen any proposals to develop it.
Yeah, two possibilities occur to me:

1) There is something in the works

2) Adding that station there prevents them from having to go and do the _reverse_ of the rezoning below (changing the existing land zoned TOD to a lower intensity usage).

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, two possibilities occur to me:

1) There is something in the works

2) Adding that station there prevents them from having to go and do the _reverse_ of the rezoning below (changing the existing land zoned TOD to a lower intensity usage).
Or the unfortunate possibility

3) Some council member (e.g. Pool) is pushing for a station with bunches and bunches of parking.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 6:50 AM

Community Impact has a nice summary of some of the most notable Domain/North Austin projects underway or coming soon.

https://communityimpact.com/austin/n...nt-updates-12/

Old Posted Jan 27, 2017, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Or the unfortunate possibility

3) Some council member (e.g. Pool) is pushing for a station with bunches and bunches of parking.
I noticed a MF project on the emerging projects page that lists 423 apartment units that would be convenient to the relocated Braker Station. The site plan is hard to browse b/c it's provided as individual pages but appears to show a 7 level parking garage. I don't know enough about parking ratios to know if that would include some capacity for commuter parking or if it's just standard for the number of apartments.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...errsn=11474964

Old Posted Jan 28, 2017, 3:03 PM

Of course they put their water quality pond up against the tracks where the station will be.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 8:56 PM
クラブトクヨ

I just noticed in the The Archer render it says Urban Outfitters as a tenant below? Is that true? I would love to see one in the Domain.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2017, 10:07 PM
Member since 2001

It could be. It's a rather large space. Also, where the five "Tenant" marquees are is slated to be Texas' first CB2.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 5:38 AM

Here's another one of those "may have already been posted" items. But the site plan for the three apartment buildings going up on the current IBM building 45 parking lot now includes the elevations. The site plan is huge, and the elevations begin on page 94. The tallest building is around 90'.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyRSN=5111306

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 2:16 PM

Is IBM planning on keeping Bldg 45 for the time being, or are they eventually going to move out and tear it down? Its ugly but its kind of iconic, it was in the opening scenes of 'Office Space'.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Here's another one of those "may have already been posted" items. But the site plan for the three apartment buildings going up on the current IBM building 45 parking lot now includes the elevations. The site plan is huge, and the elevations begin on page 94. The tallest building is around 90'.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyRSN=5111306
So 90' is okay at the Domain, but 120' is outright criminal downtown on the east side of I-35.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Is IBM planning on keeping Bldg 45 for the time being, or are they eventually going to move out and tear it down? Its ugly but its kind of iconic, it was in the opening scenes of 'Office Space'.
IBM leases that building from Stonelake Capital, who owns the building and the land. Stonelake is building Domain Tower and the apartments on that site. Domain Tower's garage is being built to accommodate extra parking for Domain 45 to make up for the surface parking that is being eliminated by the new construction, so I'm guessing they have no plans to demolish the building, at least not anytime soon. Also, Office Space is on of my favorite movies filmed in Austin.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 6:20 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
So 90' is okay at the Domain, but 120' is outright criminal downtown on the east side of I-35.
this!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
And there are several office buildings up to 17-stories at the Domain that are lot higher than 90'. Of course the difference is that the Domain apartment dwellers aren't showing up at City Council meetings complaining about gentrification.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 9:52 PM
Member since 2001

120' may be the current height limitation. But, there was a 28-story TWELVE Hotel & Residences working its way through the entitlement process about 10 years ago for the site to the east of the Westin. It is now an apartment complex.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin