HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

River Point in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 6:28 PM
Constantly Sketching

Today.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 6:39 PM
Constantly Sketching

Same view, but with a little extra spice.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 7:28 PM

Nice pic FLW. How sick would that photo look if 130 franklin and the new General Growth was in the background. Or would it be blocked?

Old Posted Jan 21, 2017, 9:40 PM
Development Shill

You may be able to see an edge of the new General Growth building, but 130 franklin would certainly be blocked

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 4:14 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinsdorf Sucks View Post
I don't think those areas get enough traffic to justify messing with grade separations.

But another CREATE project would be cool.
Sure they do. This whole area is really not well-engineered for traffic, so it grinds to a halt at peak times. Kinzie bridge is very narrow, no turn lanes, etc.

Really what should happen is that Clinton should be grade-separated at the tracks as orulz mentioned, and then extended north through Blommer Chocolate parking lot up to Grand. With the redevelopment of the Tribune property, you could even extend it north of Chicago as a riverfront boulevard and hook it up to Elston at Augusta. That way you provide relief for a number of congested intersections in the West Loop and River West, and provide much-improved access for development along the river ala Milwaukee's Beerline B area.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 4:23 AM

The entire West side of the river could probably stand to be double decked like Streeterville and Illinois Center or Wacker to be honest. There is such an insane layer cake of infrastructure there that it seems like the only solution to truly untangle things. Double deck it all and then build over all the tracks and staging yards. The ship may have already sailed on that front though given the islands of shitty townhomes or poorly thought out podium towers. Then again maybe the podiums are a good thing in this context as the current first floor might be able to be converted to a below grade parking level and a new lobby build at a new grade.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 8:43 AM

I love this subject but I think it was discussed in another thread recently. So many theoretical possibilities, with all the undeveloped lots.

Especially going all the way out to Ashland; imagine stacking the Amtrak/Milwaukee District on top of the already-elevated Union Pacific, or just elevating the entire Amtrak/Milwaukee District beyond Halsted. In fact, over this stretch of track, if some grade-separated north-south swap between those two sets of 4 tracks could be constructed, then the chokepoint at Western (I forget the foamer name, Tower B?) could be eliminated. That's gonna be good for an airport express, Amtrak service, and everything else.

----

Interesting coincidence with LVDW's comment about reconfiguring existing buildings along Canal and the area: As we speak, Left Bank at K Station has completely closed down their 1st floor lobby, and papered over the windows, for some kind of renovations. Would be great if they did something to their 2nd floor and then connected it over Canal to River Point. In fact, the parking lot opposite Fulton must also be ripe for some building that would connect on a 2nd floor level to River Point.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orulz View Post
There are no such constraints north of the tracks, and a big grassy area was even left between Clinton and and Alta K Station when it was built, which I suppose would allow the west side of Clinton north of the tracks to be excavated without any retaining walls. I'm not sure what utilities may need to be relocated, so I'm not saying it would be cheap or easy, but it's definitely possible.
I think the grade separation for Clinton and closure at Canal were actually prerequisites for the Carroll Avenue Transitway, since it would not be allowed to cross the Union Station lead tracks at grade. I believe it was also accounted for in the WLTC plan as well as the underground right-of-way for HSR left beneath K station.
I assume Clinton would not go under Kinzie but have a normal grade intersection? I wonder if all the above could be done with all of the supporting columns for the Ogilvie lead track viaduct untouched, or whether rebuilding of that viaduct to modern column-free standards would be needed. It just seems to me it's a little too middle-ages-ish under there for any road or rail progress to be made otherwise.

I love ardecila's idea of extending Clinton to Elston; it would catalyze a complete renaissance for River West. If the Ogilvie viaduct were re-done, Kinzie also could be widened around there, west to Clinton or even Desplaines.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 2:37 PM

January 22 2017

Last edited by deebirch; Jan 23, 2017 at 2:53 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 4:46 PM

^^^A certain shot, at a certain time, on a certain day. Well done deebirch.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 5:27 PM

cheers

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 5:34 PM

Haven't ventured out to shoot for fun in virtually all of January and had an itch to make some photos so I took advantage of the moody skies on Sunday night to check out River Point and the views from the plaza. Here's a bunch of stuff...

(1.22.17)-Winter_Waterways-WEB-9 by Nick Ulivieri, on Flickr

(1.22.17)-Winter_Waterways-WEB-2 by Nick Ulivieri, on Flickr

(1.23.17)-Winter_Waterways-WEB-14 by Nick Ulivieri, on Flickr

(1.22.17)-Winter_Waterways-WEB-15 by Nick Ulivieri, on Flickr

(1.23.17)-Winter_Waterways-WEB-12 by Nick Ulivieri, on Flickr

(1.22.17)-Winter_Waterways-WEB-17 by Nick Ulivieri, on Flickr

(1.23.17)-Winter_Waterways-WEB-11 by Nick Ulivieri, on Flickr

(1.22.17)-Winter_Waterways-WEB-18 by Nick Ulivieri, on Flickr

(1.22.17)-Winter_Waterways-WEB-20 by Nick Ulivieri, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 6:53 PM

Nick....I'm calling Rob Manfred cuz apparently your camera is on steroids again. Holy shit are those pictures beutiful. Well done sir!!!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Nick....I'm calling Rob Manfred cuz apparently your camera is on steroids again. Holy shit are those pictures beutiful. Well done sir!!!
Please don't! I'll take the fall. It's not my camera that did the work. It was all me lol. thanks though. Had quite a long edit session yesterday. Felt good.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 10:59 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Hell, even the Lake-Franklin river walk ped ramp looks pretty cool in that photo. That really IS magic!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
I love this subject but I think it was discussed in another thread recently. So many theoretical possibilities, with all the undeveloped lots.

Especially going all the way out to Ashland; imagine stacking the Amtrak/Milwaukee District on top of the already-elevated Union Pacific, or just elevating the entire Amtrak/Milwaukee District beyond Halsted. In fact, over this stretch of track, if some grade-separated north-south swap between those two sets of 4 tracks could be constructed, then the chokepoint at Western (I forget the foamer name, Tower B?) could be eliminated. That's gonna be good for an airport express, Amtrak service, and everything else.

----

Interesting coincidence with LVDW's comment about reconfiguring existing buildings along Canal and the area: As we speak, Left Bank at K Station has completely closed down their 1st floor lobby, and papered over the windows, for some kind of renovations. Would be great if they did something to their 2nd floor and then connected it over Canal to River Point. In fact, the parking lot opposite Fulton must also be ripe for some building that would connect on a 2nd floor level to River Point.
Interesting conversation. But, IMO the ship sailed when the River Point RR tunnel was constructed. The Confluence is graced by 3 beautiful new buildings.

But, anyone who posted very early on this thread about the existence of problems or solutions where the RR tracks cross Canal and Clinton was shouted down on this thread. Too bad.

I always thought the area on Canal where the RR tracks cross should have been closed and pedestrian traffic detoured off Canal between Fulton House and 333 to the RiverWalk (now completed) leading to Lake Street. But, it's much too late to change the "people handling" to move a sufficient amount of pedestrian traffic up to Lake St. (There's only 1 tiny elevator at Lake to handle pedestrian or bike traffic from the RiverWalk up to the start of the sloped entrance to the River Point plaza and the Lake St. bridge.)

The new, improved Confluence looks great. However, the traffic (from cars, bikes and pedestrians) will be eternally snarled because of the cost to cure the traffic problems.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 6:37 AM
Chicago picture-taker

Granted, I'm kinda simple. But I think that lighting is cool.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 10:58 AM

I could be wrong, but it looks like Gibsons is building a retractable roof. It looks similar to ROOF at the wit when they started constructing that one a few years back.

...oops, should have googled this first. haha

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017...-chicago-river

Old Posted Feb 3, 2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilton View Post
Interesting conversation. But, IMO the ship sailed when the River Point RR tunnel was constructed. The Confluence is graced by 3 beautiful new buildings.

But, anyone who posted very early on this thread about the existence of problems or solutions where the RR tracks cross Canal and Clinton was shouted down on this thread. Too bad.

I always thought the area on Canal where the RR tracks cross should have been closed and pedestrian traffic detoured off Canal between Fulton House and 333 to the RiverWalk (now completed) leading to Lake Street. But, it's much too late to change the "people handling" to move a sufficient amount of pedestrian traffic up to Lake St. (There's only 1 tiny elevator at Lake to handle pedestrian or bike traffic from the RiverWalk up to the start of the sloped entrance to the River Point plaza and the Lake St. bridge.)

The new, improved Confluence looks great. However, the traffic (from cars, bikes and pedestrians) will be eternally snarled because of the cost to cure the traffic problems.
The best solution might be to close it to vehicle traffic. Much easier to build above grade pedestrian bridges to avoid the intersection with the tracks than grade separate the road.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 2:40 PM

2/19

And the view from the plaza

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive