HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 8:04 PM
Brooklyn Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
If your talking about the light that flashed "N" for New York in morse code, yes, they did. It was announced last month.
The beacon is still there though... It will be a more consistent and farther reaching lighting effect now. One change that was for the better.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 8:08 PM

^Well said.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 8:31 PM
Bionic Boogie

DSC_0068 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
Why do some people call the base a 20 story concrete bunker. Yes the 60' lobby does have concrete blast walls. but above that are mechanical floors 2-6 and no concrete blast walls.
Because all of these floors, mechanical or not, are encased in solid windowless concrete the first 20 stories -- designed directly in response to the threat of a bombing.

Maybe "blockhouse" is a more appropriate term than "bunker", but the idea is more or less the same.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albaholic View Post
Because all of these floors, mechanical or not, are encased in solid windowless concrete the first 20 stories -- designed directly in response to the threat of a bombing.

Maybe "blockhouse" is a more appropriate term than "bunker", but the idea is more or less the same.
Actually the floors above the lobby walls, aren't encased in concrete. Look at that pic he posted

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Actually the floors above the lobby walls, aren't encased in concrete. Look at that pic he posted
They are. Those floors have no windows. The so called windows are not windows but the glass fins designed to hide the concrete in the back.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
They are. Those floors have no windows. The so called windows are not windows but the glass fins designed to hide the concrete in the back.
I'm talking about this part of the base. There is no concrete. Only the core. Their are a few pics inside here to.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:27 AM

The black portion above the lobby is just the louvers for the mechanical floors. It's still part of the ugly 20 story base. At least with the original base design there was some differentiation between the lobby and the mechanical floors above. Now it's one big ugly stainless steel block.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:40 AM

I guess I assumed the exterior walls of the floors above the lobby will be filled up with concrete -- is the cladding going directly on the metal beams and then just drywall inside?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:41 AM

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 1:44 AM

There needs to be airflow on those mechanical floors. I don't think concrete will cover them.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC GUY View Post
Not sure if this is true but did Durst remove the light at the top of the spire?
Of course he did.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 2:13 AM

I read the newspaper today and it said "Later tommorow night, Obamas scheduled to visit the under construction One World Trade Center" Air Force One's gonna land

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 2:20 AM

10:22 PM EDT 06.13.12
-WTC workers gear up for Obama visit-
By George Lerner, CNN

[QUOTE]It has risen -- floor by floor, gleaming steel beam by steel beam -- from the scene of what was incomprehensible destruction more than a decade ago.

Now, as 1 World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan stretches closer toward being the tallest building in the United States, it already stands as an icon in its own right.

Punctuating the Manhattan horizon, the once-named "Freedom Tower" also was once fraught with controversy and costly redesigns. But it's soon expected to top off at 1,776 feet -- technically edging out the Willis Tower in Chicago by way of decorative spire affixed to its peak, and replacing the Twin Towers that fell to terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.

"Everybody takes pride in this building," says Marc Becker, deputy general superintendent of the construction firm Tishman. "Everyone's an important piece of the puzzle, whether you're an iron worker, whether you're a painter, everyone has a job to do."

"We're all here to see this through to the end," adds Becker.

Crews at the site are gearing up for President Barack Obama's visit Thursday to the work-in-progress -- which now has reached 104 stories -- for an update on its upward growth.

The building is expected to open in about a year and a half.

"We're going to have our topping-out beam placed on the street" so that President Obama can sign it, says Mike Pinelli, general superintendent at 1 TWC.

"It's going be the first signature on the topping-out beam," he adds.

"It's typically signed by everybody on the project at some point and then we're going to erect it shortly thereafter to signify the topping out of Tower One."

On the 92nd floor, workers can often be seen hanging off beams as they twist steel rods into a lattice framework while blowtorches spray sparks against the upper floors.

Lacking external glass at such heights, the structure is edged by black netting to prevent loose objects from falling into the plaza more than a thousand feet below.

Ground was broken in April 2006, on a redesign by the architectural firm of Skidmore, Owings and Merrill, with construction starting later that year.

"The structure itself is a hybrid," says Mel Ruffini, Tishman's project executive. "The perimeter is steel, the core is concrete."

He calls it "the strongest concrete we've ever used in New York, maybe in the United States, for an office building."

"The walls are extremely thick, and all of the building supplies, elevators, all the risers, all telecommunications are within that concrete structure inside the building," he says.

From the 92nd floor, workers are able to watch planes approach the New York region's three major airports, a subtle reminder, they say, of the thousands who died on that September day.

"Tower One, when it's complete, will symbolize everything that was lost in 9/11," Pinelli says. "It also will symbolize our resiliency as a nation, all the hard work put in by everybody."[QUOTE]

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 2:51 AM
Mr. Technology

One tower is replacing two.
How is only one that reaches the historic height symbolizing everything that was lost on 9/11 ?

When all four office towers are complete, then that claim will become reality, but until that day, it is far from complete.

One thing I will add to this conversation is that One WTC has anchored the Downtown skyline with a focal point of excitement with more to come!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:08 AM
them bones

If the lobby cladding is now squared off, what happens at the lobby floor between the angled columns and the outer cladding? What does that space become? It seems that there would be about 13ft between the columns and the cladding wall?

Is there a rendering?

Just curious.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:20 AM

What time is the president coming to The World Trade Center?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:40 AM
Bionic Boogie

Right now bathed in blue lights!! on a very foggy night

DSC_0075 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 3:51 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTCman7301 View Post
What time is the president coming to The World Trade Center?
Sometime between 3:00PM and 6:00PM, there are planned disruptions to PATH train service.

I was unable to find a published time for the President's announced arrival/departure.

Evening rush-hour traffic may experience unusual delays.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2012, 6:40 AM

I'm just going to leave what Iron Sky made it look like.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive