HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 1:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Wow, Oxbury sounds even worse than the London mall: something I didn't think was possible.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 8:43 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Good old Heritage Mall in Edmonton... demolished a few years ago to make way for Century Park. Truly speaks volumes about a throw away society.

See these concrete terraced garden topped by two large spruce trees in this Street View pic below? That's what's all that's left of Heritage Mall still standing (they're still up to this day). The rest is now mostly brownfield waiting to be developed as Century Park, the major condo community development - note the satellite pic inset.

If you look closely in the pic posted by Cold above, you'll notice that these terraces in the mall pictured above are the same as those shown right by the U/G parkade entrance to the right of the 111 Street side of the mall.

Those four condo buildings U/C far to the background in the Street View pic are part of the Century Park project.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 4:18 AM

that heritage mall looks just like coquitlam centre used to be before they expanded - same kind of roof thing and eatons in the same spot

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 5:49 AM

Henderson Place in Coquitlam - an asian mall that is dead and now the one draw - a grocery store seems to be shutting down may even be shutdown already - but the tills were on when we walked past which was odd...

anyway it never took off, never filled up, there are a few places in the food court and a few small shops, even a pub and couple of large restaurants which seem to do okay but its just dead and they even added an extension a couple years ago and it has sat empty since than, but apparently the city library is going to move in perhaps that will help the mall but i doubt it

anyway some pics by me

food court eating area is over the central court

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 5:57 AM
I am a typical

Why don't they just turn it into a regular mall and attracted other tenants?

Our dead mall has a library, but it was there before the mall (which recently went into receivership) died. It was cheaper than building a new building in the area but it looks like they'll have to soon, the mall will likely be demolished in a few years.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 6:20 AM

i don't know why - its right across the street from Coquitlam Centre the big mall for the area, there are a few stores that can't fit in there that would fit well into this one but they wanna keep an "asian" mall I guess

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 10:49 AM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Ellen Dunham-Jones would be proud of that Edmonton project!
Funny you say that. I spoke to her about it in November when she was up in Toronto. She was intrigued, and I told her I'd send her some info on it along with a copy of my thesis covering the topic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickinacan View Post
How about a mall that has never had a single tenant in its entire history?

(Source - BC Local News - LINK)

I present 104th Avenue Centre in Surrey, BC. It has been empty for 13 years, never had anyone occupy the building, and is owned by some investor in Arizona. It apparently accounts for so much of the vacancy rate in the city, that it is no longer included in the annual vacancy rate listings.

It started off life as the Asian Mall for Surrey and was about 80% leased... until the developer went bankrupt. It was bought out and finished, but many of the tenants moved on to other sites. It is in immaculate shape.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2473513/Asian-Centre
http://www.bclocalnews.com/surrey_ar...108987074.html
http://www.kindredconstruction.com/g...g2_itemId=1322

Now this is interesting.... I'm going to have to look some more into this one. Thanks.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 5:24 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

I've been by 104 Avenue Centre at least a couple of times, the last time probably while on my way to Guildford Town Centre farther east to do some Xmas shopping last year. I didn't even realize it was a mall until I saw this thread. Like others have said, it does look more like a high school than a mall.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 5:49 PM
The Vomit Bag.

That Surrey thing totally looks like a High School, or perhaps a satellite university campus; maybe even a hospital.

It looks nothing like a mall.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 6:15 PM
Vancouverite

Lots of High schools in the Vancouver area don't even come close to looking good like that building!
If only....

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 11:18 PM
I am a typical

Newer high schools are very nice. The ones built from the 1930s to the 1980s are shit.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 1:08 AM
The Vomit Bag.

No educational building built in the 70s/80s is nice. 99% brutalist concrete crap. Just like prisons, only missing the bars.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 2:09 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Newer high schools are very nice. The ones built from the 1930s to the 1980s are shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
No educational building built in the 70s/80s is nice. 99% brutalist concrete crap. Just like prisons, only missing the bars.
I'm pretty sure in Ugly Canada trhead i posted a high school built in 2004/05 that looks like a prison!

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 8:07 PM
I am a typical

I think that was a few pages back, actually. It was in Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 4:07 AM
Vancouverite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
I think that was a few pages back, actually. It was in Vancouver.
? If you're talking about the school, it was in Burnaby, a surburb of Vancouver.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2011, 7:07 PM
I am a typical

I live in Thunder Bay. Everything in Southwestern BC that isn't on Vancouver Island is "Vancouver" to me. Likewise, everything from Burlington to Courtice and north to Barrie is "Toronto".

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 1:12 AM
Vancouverite

I already mentioned that it was in the vancouver area, so i don't get why you had to correct me?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 5:07 AM
I am a typical

I thought you were correcting me. You guys in BC seem really persnickety about using the specific municipality to describe where things are, ie "Simon Fraser University isn't in Vancouver, it's in Burnaby" is something I have heard a few times.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 6:12 AM

cause they are different cities

if you booked a hotel in burnaby for instance you would be pretty pissed cause its not vancouver and you would have a lot of travelling to get back and forth to see the "city" as nice as burnaby is its charms are a little spread out and nothing that exciting

Old Posted Mar 27, 2011, 6:24 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
cause they are different cities

if you booked a hotel in burnaby for instance you would be pretty pissed cause its not vancouver and you would have a lot of travelling to get back and forth to see the "city" as nice as burnaby is its charms are a little spread out and nothing that exciting
If I booked a hotel in Burnaby it would be because I want to save money when I visit Vancouver, and I will go to Vancouver by bus or skytrain.

Likewise, if I went to Toronto I would probably get a hotel room in Scarborough, because when I go to other cities I don't go for the hotel room, I go for the city. Every time I've gone to another city that involved a stay in a hotel, the hotel room was just where we went to sleep.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada