HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 22, 2013, 4:46 AM

I have admittedly paid very little attention to the Herb Grey Parkway up until this point, but I'm thoroughly impressed by the videos and the progress so far. I was last in Windsor during September 2011, I was on Highway 3 from the bridge to the 401 at that time and I guess things were just starting, I remember a lot of buildings were gone but otherwise as I had remembered it from years past. Wow is all I can say.

What I can't get over is the number of residential buildings that were demolished. Looking at some Street View images from 2009 still floating around, some of the houses demolished couldn't have been more than 10 years old. I also find it unbelievable how many houses were demolished that were not even in the path of the highway, like Kendleton Court. Seems pretty wasteful.

Last edited by manny_santos; May 23, 2013 at 2:57 AM.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 5:04 PM

The WE Parkway Flickr page has put up a bunch of aerial updates.

source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hgparkway/

They're new to me, I haven't seen these, but you can tell they're a bit old because everything is still brown and hasn't bloomed.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2013, 5:23 PM

I'm going to say around mid-to-late March as the diversion isn't open yet.

These are from a few days ago:

At Malden Road:

Centre columns going up at Spring Garden tunnel:

Forms for fly-over at Bethlehem Ave. Connector:

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa230e View Post
I'm going to say around mid-to-late March as the diversion isn't open yet.

These are from a few days ago:

At Malden Road:

Centre columns going up at Spring Garden tunnel:

Forms for fly-over at Bethlehem Ave. Connector:

I like that last photo a lot. I always find it cool how intricate the placement of the rebar is.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2013, 1:05 PM

Howard Avenue tunnel is now covered.

Those girders don't seem like much in a photo but in real life if you stood next to one they'd be up to your chest. They're huge.

This is the top of the Hearthwood tunnel:

Highway 3 and Sandwich West Parkway. All traces of the diversion road here are now buried.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 5:08 AM

If it's of any interest to anyone, I shot some video of Huron Church Road and Highway 401 before construction started for posterity. Not nearly enough I'm afraid. I didn't get the whole route nor any vantage points by the way side. What I did shoot, I finally got around to editing together into a video. Without further adieu, here it is.

Video Link

Note: There's no audio. I had the radio blaring so loud when I was recording I just decided to strip the sound. If you like background music crank up one of your tunes and enjoy.

When the project is done, it should be fun to come back and compare it to what it looked like originally. The contrast will be incredible, I'm sure.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 11:08 PM

^ That's around the last time I was in Windsor. I had been on a bus from Detroit to London and it took this route. I look forward to going back to Windsor, just to see the new parkway once it is open!

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 3:00 AM

New aerial photos (from May) have been posted at http://www.flickr.com/photos/hgparkway/

And here's a new video to go with it
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 3:27 PM

^ Some of those flyovers are surprisingly long. Even Hwy 3 is going to be a neat road when it's all done. Good work on the video as always. I like the font you chose.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 3:56 PM

Yeah, it's going to be something to see once it's done. Thanks for the tip on the font, man.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 4:36 PM

The construction is almost wearing me down there's so much of it. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 1:08 PM

Why do they have to name just about every road after some db politician? Its disgusting.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 1:34 PM

I'm not sure if it really matters to me what they call the parkway, I'm glad to see it's getting done.

Waiting to hear more on the new bridge.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
I'm not sure if it really matters to me what they call the parkway, I'm glad to see it's getting done.

Waiting to hear more on the new bridge.
Personally I would rather have named it as an extension of the Macdonald-Cartier Freeway, but Herb Grey isn't so bad. There's a lot of worse people the parkway could be named after.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Why do they have to name just about every road after some db politician? Its disgusting.
Every road? What other roads around here are named after politicians? He was elected to 12 straight terms and is the longest serving MP in Canadian history. Even if you don't agree with his politics you have to respect that record. The only thing that's disgusting is calling him a db.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2013, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Every road? What other roads around here are named after politicians? He was elected to 12 straight terms and is the longest serving MP in Canadian history. Even if you don't agree with his politics you have to respect that record. The only thing that's disgusting is calling him a db.
I have to agree with the db part. Whichever political party you fancy, or even if you don't like politics at all you have to give the man respect regarding the length of his political career.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 12:15 PM

I don't have to give any politician any respect, there is nothing "honourable" about any of them.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagbard View Post
I don't have to give any politician any respect, there is nothing "honourable" about any of them.
So, anyways, back on topic. With the closure of the Ontario information centre on Huron Church do you think they'll ever open one up again this side of the Tilbury information centre along the parkway? It makes no sense to me that the province closed the office on Huron Church. Maybe they could slide one in near where you exit the new bridge plaza. Imagine people exit the bridge plaza and have An Ontario information centre right there before they get back on the highway and from there can choose to stay 401 or take E.C. Row Expressway (#2 Highway).

Old Posted Jul 7, 2013, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
So, anyways, back on topic. With the closure of the Ontario information centre on Huron Church do you think they'll ever open one up again this side of the Tilbury information centre along the parkway? It makes no sense to me that the province closed the office on Huron Church. Maybe they could slide one in near where you exit the new bridge plaza. Imagine people exit the bridge plaza and have An Ontario information centre right there before they get back on the highway and from there can choose to stay 401 or take E.C. Row Expressway (#2 Highway).
I don't think they will open up another one before Tilbury, but I agree that there should be one as soon as you exit the new bridge. Leave it to the Liberals to fuck shit up! At least we still have one downtown for travellers entering the core through the tunnel. I feel that there should at least be a large sign at the new bridge indicating that there is a tourism information centre just a few km away in downtown Windsor.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2013, 12:46 AM

A few pics from this evening. These are from Lambton street and the Bethlehem Ave connector.

And another rebar photo, just for sonysnob:

I would have taken more but my batteries died.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario