HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 7:44 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
It isn't.

Chicago hotels live off of Mag Mile shopping and conventions/trade shows. There's a reason more than 90 percent of all Chicago hotel rooms are within 600 feet of Michigan Avenue.

Hotel patrons don't pay a big premium for height/views, and hotel rooms make the elevatoring even less efficient. Usually a lot less, since you want separate elevators for hotel and condos.
Could the project at 400 N LSD not find similar success like the Wanda Vista? They would have similar offerings. Tall, mixed use, a slightly longer than 600ft walk to Michigan Ave.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 8:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post

Let's be real, the sickest thing that could happen is to rebuild a slightly taller version of the Waldorf Astoria. I'm allowed to dream
Nuh uh, The Waldorf Astoria is so 2000

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 9:06 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
Could the project at 400 N LSD not find similar success like the Wanda Vista? They would have similar offerings. Tall, mixed use, a slightly longer than 600ft walk to Michigan Ave.
Tall isn't an offering. Neither is mixed-use for its own sake. It is FAR off the heart of Michigan to be considered in any way convenient. It would be as strange as staying at the LondonHouse or Intercontinental if you wanted to be close to Ohio beach/NP.

The only major advantage that 400 LSD may have over various other locations is potential access to the lakefront path and Navy Pier when the new Ped bridge gets built (will Dusable Park have a ramp?). Not small perks but not likely to draw in a slew of high-end clients either except unless if you are a major outdoor bike/run enthusiast. Is that a bigger plus than being close to Michigan Ave for high-end buyers? Doubtful.......

I think the best lots for a supertall are the south of NBC Tower lot and the Nordstrom/Northbridge lots off of Wabash if reimagined correctly. Which last I saw latest plans seemed completely underwhelming.

If the Renaissance on Wacker were ever torn down and some slender tall tower could be built on the lot those could provide some great vistas and locations as well.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 9:34 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Tall isn't an offering. Neither is mixed-use for its own sake. It is FAR off the heart of Michigan to be considered in any way convenient. It would be as strange as staying at the LondonHouse or Intercontinental if you wanted to be close to Ohio beach/NP.

The only major advantage that 400 LSD may have over various other locations is potential access to the lakefront path and Navy Pier when the new Ped bridge gets built (will Dusable Park have a ramp?). Not small perks but not likely to draw in a slew of high-end clients either except unless if you are a major outdoor bike/run enthusiast. Is that a bigger plus than being close to Michigan Ave for high-end buyers? Doubtful.......

I think the best lots for a supertall are the south of NBC Tower lot and the Nordstrom/Northbridge lots off of Wabash if reimagined correctly. Which last I saw latest plans seemed completely underwhelming.

If the Renaissance on Wacker were ever torn down and some slender tall tower could be built on the lot those could provide some great vistas and locations as well.
Sorry if I didn't make my thoughts clearer. The Wanda Vista is a very tall mixed use building that is a somewhat similar distance from Michigan Ave. So I don't understand the reality of Wanda Vista being built and looking like it will be a successful project, and a 2,000 foot building at 400 N LSD being called not feasible. 400 N LSD will most likely also have a park attached to it.
4. Chicago Board of Trade - Chicago - Holabird & Root - Photo
5. Cathedral of Learning - Pittsburgh - Charles Klauder - Photo

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 9:56 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

In my opinion, saying a 2,000-foot tower at 400 North Lake Shore Drive is not feasible or not possible is ridiculous, especially when you consider that the Chicago Spire had sales contracts on 30% of its supply of condos, accounting for around 360 units. In a normal scenario, the developer would have been able to secure a full construction loan. Yes, those condos were sold during the height of a real estate bubble but there is no reason in my mind why a new developer would not be able to build a 2,000-foot tower. That said I think it is highly unlikely and personally undesirable to see a 2,000-foot tower in that location.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post

Keep those anemic looking towers out of Chicago!

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 1:25 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

Wasn't the Waldorf project canceled due to financing issues?

What a shame that proposal occurred during the recession or before things really went sour (due to the burning bag of poop left after Bushy Bush left).

This was one of my favorite proposals back in the day for Chicago. Elegant, smooth, and classy, right by the river.

It's only a shame this couldn't have been proposed at a better time, like now for example.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 11:58 AM

Why a project like 7 south dearborn is not considered? This is a mixed-use tower, which could be perfect for 400 N LSD place.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 2:17 PM
The City

Why do people keep posting on this useless thread where nothing is happening, nothing is close to happening, especially when so much more interesting stuff is happening elsewhere in the city?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Why do people keep posting on this useless thread where nothing is happening, nothing is close to happening, especially when so much more interesting stuff is happening elsewhere in the city?
Perhaps, because there are not much more interesting things in other parts of the city.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2017, 4:52 PM
Urbane observer

^Because for most young men, masturbation involves fantasization.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 4:28 AM

400 N. LSD mini info...

Okay, so thi is is what I've heard through more than reputable channels;

-Expect two towers

-I asked if one would be taller than the bKL one in LSE, and was told "way"

-Was mentioned a material not used in almost 100 years would be apart of the project and C. Shawn yelled out 'terra-cotta' and there was no response other than we know too much already. We both said at the same time 'SHoP Architects', and again met with silence.

Curius

Stay tuned for community meetings I'm guessing later this year

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
400 N. LSD mini info...
I can't wait..! It's been a long time comin'

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 5:21 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
400 N. LSD mini info...

-Expect two towers

-Was mentioned a material not used in almost 100 years would be apart of the project and C. Shawn yelled out 'terra-cotta' and there was no response other than we know too much already. We both said at the same time 'SHoP Architects', and again met with silence.

Curius

Stay tuned for community meetings I'm guessing later this year
Well, this is pretty damn exciting... keep us posted BVic!

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 6:20 AM

Quote:
400 N. LSD mini info...

-Expect two towers

Sorry, but which building in Lakeshore East is “bKL one”?

Thanks

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
Sorry, but which building in Lakeshore East is “bKL one”?

Thanks
Was referring to the taller proposal in at Wacker & LSD

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 12:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
400 N. LSD mini info...

- Expect two towers

- "way" [taller]

- 'terra-cotta'

- 'SHoP'

Bvic, I'm trying not to get my hopes up because it's all unconfirmed, but you just made my month.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 12:11 PM
The City

Nice update, BVictor.

But remember that this is a Related, king of the bait and switch...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 12:16 PM

Official announcement 3rd, 4th quarter this year? Or is this "completely" up in the air. Is it too much to expect 800 feet for both of the two towers?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 12:41 PM

^^^^I'll just give you one more tickler... It's not SHoP

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction