HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 5:39 PM

^^I just wish there was a "wall on the waterfront".

And every time I look at this sort of thing I think, "Why'd they make 535 Mission so short? It could have been such an enhancement to the neighbrhood with the same design but twice as tall." And unlike 550 Howard almost directly on the other side of the TransBay Transit Center, it's to the north of the center and so wouldn't have shaddowed the rooftop park (and for those who keep complaining, that's why the Planners wanted Foundry Square so short and openly expressed their thanks to its developer at the time for not building as high as they could have).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 6:01 PM
REAL Kiwi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
^Looks like 181 Fremont, one of the most interesting towers, will not even be visible from many angles except from the Bay Bridge
Yeah, unfortunately that happens in major skylines, esp with all the towers around Transbay TS.

Great renderings though.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 7:49 PM

The view of the Bay Bridge from the Dolores Park pissoir will be obliterated.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 7:50 PM

550 Howard Parcel F Tower looks almost as if it is two towers, one shorter in front of another taller, when viewed from the Bay Bridge in this rendering.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
^^I just wish there was a "wall on the waterfront".

And every time I look at this sort of thing I think, "Why'd they make 535 Mission so short? It could have been such an enhancement to the neighbrhood with the same design but twice as tall." And unlike 550 Howard almost directly on the other side of the TransBay Transit Center, it's to the north of the center and so wouldn't have shaddowed the rooftop park (and for those who keep complaining, that's why the Planners wanted Foundry Square so short and openly expressed their thanks to its developer at the time for not building as high as they could have).
There is another site directly across the street of 535 Mission on 536 Mission next to Oceanwide Center on the Golden Gate University site zoned for 700 feet. We haven't seen any proposals or action for this site yet.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 8:08 PM

^^In reality, 524 Howard actually will be in front of Parcel F from that angle, and at a similar height as the switch from horizontal accents to vertical (slightly taller). But because the purpose of the package is to highlight 550 Howard's position in the skyline, 524 was omitted.

You can see it in this rendering:

Old Posted Mar 16, 2017, 8:23 PM

^^^Oh yes, you're right about that. It seems they often eliminate proposed towers in other such renderings for similar reasons.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 11:21 PM

Quote:
TMG Partners aims for 250 homes at massive CPMC site in San Francisco
Mar 17, 2017, 2:37pm PDT Updated Mar 17, 2017, 3:12pm PDT
Blanca Torres
Reporter, San Francisco Business Times

Developer TMG Partners wants to build up to 250 new homes on a rare San Francisco development site: the California Pacific Medical Center hospital site in Presidio Heights.

The firm submitted a preliminary application to the city to redevelop the 4.9-acre property at 3700 California St. after about 18 months of public input . . . .

The hospital won't vacate the site until 2019, when it is expected to move to the new $2.1 billion, 274-bed Cathedral Hill medical campus at Geary and Van Ness Avenues . . . .

The development plan, designed by Robert A.M. Stern Architects, will include buildings ranging from three to seven stories. The plan includes single-family homes and 214 attached homes . . . .

The project will involve demolishing most of the original hospital campus while retaining some structures including the Marshall Hale building at 3698 California St. and an apartment building at 401 Cherry . . . .
http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranci...626&j=77679561

Old Posted Mar 17, 2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
There is another site directly across the street of 535 Mission on 536 Mission next to Oceanwide Center on the Golden Gate University site zoned for 700 feet. We haven't seen any proposals or action for this site yet.
I don't know of any vacant site at that location. In this Streetview image there is a small alley between the Oceanwide construction site and the campus of Golden Gate U. on the left (which seems to cover lots 525 to 547). I don't think they are planning to move so the upzoning of their site may be moot, at least for a decade or two.

Streetview

Last edited by Pedestrian; Mar 18, 2017 at 2:54 AM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 12:14 AM

Quote:
3 story buildings? Single family homes? Only 250 units on a site that big, on a main thoroughfare, with good transit access, less than two miles from downtown SF? Why not make most of the buildings seven stories, and include one or two small towers as well?

I know, I know, the local NIMBYs would flip out...and at least we're getting more housing at all. But this is the kind of "safe" (in terms of size, and chances of being accepted by NIMBYs) under-development that helped us get into the housing crisis.

The same bullshit is going on with the Balboa reservoir.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
I don't know of any vacant site at that location. In this Streetview image there is a small alley between the Oceanwide construction site and the campus of Pacific University on the left (which seems to cover lots 525 to 547). I don't think they are planning to move so the upzoning of their site may be moot, at least for a decade or two.

Streetview
You may be right. We may not see any action on this site for some time. Here is a site plan from one of the Oceanwide Planning documents I posted previously that shows the site. It is the backwards "C" shaped site above the middle of the plan on Mission zoned for 700 feet.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
It is the backwards "C" shaped site above the middle of the plan on Mission zoned for 700 feet.
That's Golden Gate U. (I said Pacific U. earlier--my bad) and I have heard nothing to suggest they plan on going anywhere or rebuilding:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/gold...iQGnORwErm78Cg

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
That's Golden Gate U. (I said Pacific U. earlier--my bad) and I have heard nothing to suggest they plan on going anywhere or rebuilding:

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/gold...iQGnORwErm78Cg

That sure is a hideous looking structure (the section next to the JP Morgan Tower). Hopefully, they can be persuaded to relocate their downtown branch and free up the site for an up-zoned supertall for some future boom cycle.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2017, 1:23 AM

^^I've always liked it for what it is though it admittedly is a gross underbuilding of the site.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 7:36 PM

Breathtakingly stunning photo

Shangri-La Revealed by mikeSF_, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 8:41 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

^ Holy shitballs, that's a great photo! Looks like it's taken from somewhere north in Marin?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Last edited by colemonkee; Mar 21, 2017 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 11:43 PM
Show me the blueprints

Son... Of... A... Bitch

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 12:59 AM

That's a beautiful shot. Wow. Good job!

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 7:10 AM
dazzle me

the golden gate college building is pretty neat, imo. very unusual. i believe they just sold a second building on the corner of ecker and jessie, this one. don't see that being knocked down any time soon, but definitely should end up as office space soon enough.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2017, 7:12 AM
heavy user of walkability

all over the place...

Third and Townsend, replacement of the Dirty Harry MacDonald's

fencing has gone up around the gas station next to Jasper on Harrison, so hopefully we'll get this soon. this is from Lansing Alley

a hint at what Clementina Alley next to Solaire will feel like once it is fully framed on the other side

the promising passageway next to the MTC Building. looking west

east

they are widening the sidewalks on the north side of Harrison, a bit

... this much:

the Pagoda Theater site in North Beach

the view of it from the little section of Powell which I fantasize will be converted into a plaza where the entrance to the North Beach/Washington Sq Muni subway stop will be

Moscone

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations