HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el conquistador View Post
Not much, unfortunately, I threw this on here regarding the stadium in the hopes that someone may have heard similar information. I will see if I can dig up anything more.
Ann Morrison Park did just go thru a master plan update this last year, I attended an open house for it. I don't recall any mentioning of a "4 lane highway thru the park", but the notion of improved "circulation" was certainly made clear because the current road system is as you all know quite indirect. Suppose if it's two lanes each way, one could overstate it as a 4 lane parkway of some sort, but it'd be reaching in my opinion. The updated plan is here: https://parks.cityofboise.org/media/...ut_reduced.pdf

Of course I offer that as a plain ole citizen without any connection to the meaty scuttlebutt

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 3:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trails View Post
Ann Morrison Park did just go thru a master plan update this last year, I attended an open house for it. I don't recall any mentioning of a "4 lane highway thru the park", but the notion of improved "circulation" was certainly made clear because the current road system is as you all know quite indirect. Suppose if it's two lanes each way, one could overstate it as a 4 lane parkway of some sort, but it'd be reaching in my opinion. The updated plan is here: https://parks.cityofboise.org/media/...ut_reduced.pdf

Of course I offer that as a plain ole citizen without any connection to the meaty scuttlebutt
Heehee, gotta love rumors! That's why I threw this out there, I know there are good connections here. What you are saying makes a ton of sense and I have heard that they want to improve circulation and access for the park. I have been there a lot for youth sports, and it's a pain in the ass to get in and out of if you don't park in just the right spot. I could very easily see how someone could hear that plan and easily misconstrue it to mean they are paving a good chunk of the park over.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 3:14 PM
All man. Half nuts.

what do you do when you're done driving your car?

you park it.

where?

in a park.

makes sense to me!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
Overshadowed by the ballpark but not forgotten:
CVS @ State St.
CVS is at it again, this time targeting buildings at 17th and State. The intend to demo the State Farm, 3 houses on Jefferson..., and the another building on state. It'll be a one story building with a sea of parking.
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=CUP17-00072
That is a horrible location to put this CVS for obvious reasons pointed out by many people here and on other local social media.

CVS should do in Boise what they are doing in Fort Worth.
An urban drug store in the heart of downtown makes sense considering all of the new residential (condos and apartments) already built and being built and in the pipeline. Remember Ford Drug that used to be at 10th and Main?

Quote:
http://www.star-telegram.com/news/lo...175695831.html
And it will be no ordinary pharmacy. The store will be an urban-design, two-story location with an emphasis on health and fitness products and travelers’ needs.

“It will be one of the few two-story CVS locations in Texas,” Aslam said, adding that the company has up to five months to complete renovations. “They are going to carry some high-end, unique products for the travelers staying at all the hotels in the area. And then downstairs, it will be a pharmacy.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/lo...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted Oct 3, 2017, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el conquistador View Post
... I could very easily see how someone could hear that plan and easily misconstrue it to mean they are paving a good chunk of the park over.
No doubt! I wondered that very thing as I wrote earlier.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 5:49 PM
not a cynic

It looks like my role has become color commentary to the play by players. So here it is on CVS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvurban
... It'll be a one story building with a sea of parking...
That's because it's all that can be built there due to zoning. In fact, that's the use now, single story buildings (well, The Arcade is 2 story) but with inadequate parking pushing some cars out into the neighborhood.

If we want a midrise such as the Lusk St area apartments, then we need to convince the city to change the zoning to higher density with less parking. It's pretty likely WDNA and NENA would complain about that. In fact, parking is discussed quite a bit in the letter of intent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
That is a horrible location to put this CVS for obvious reasons pointed out by many people here and on other local social media.

CVS should do in Boise what they are doing in Fort Worth.
An urban drug store in the heart of downtown makes sense considering all of the new residential (condos and apartments) already built and being built and in the pipeline. Remember Ford Drug that used to be at 10th and Main?
That seems a bit apples to oranges, the Ft Worth site is CBD and the building is on a historic register therefore, I presume, no tear down allowed. I'm guessing no parking will be required which means no storm water basin requirement. There's probably no such (viable) property available in the downtown Boise CBD.

Let's analyze it a different way. I calculated the current property tax revenue generated from the 5 properties (3 Jefferson, 2 State) to be about $22,000/year. CVS would pay at least $25,000/year at today's rates. That's going off Rite Aid's assessment and factoring in Rite Aid's property of 78,000 sf is about 66% bigger than the CVS's 46,000 sf proposal. Rite Aid's tax bill = roughly $37,000/year.

CVS would contribute a bit more prop. tax and certainly use less city resources such as garbage, sewer, on street parking, policing etc...

From city hall's point of view it's a net positive gain.

I'm not making a judgement, just color commentary.

Last edited by boisecynic; Oct 4, 2017 at 6:03 PM.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 6:04 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

I like the hospital proposal. CVS? No
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
Overshadowed by the ballpark but not forgotten:
CVS @ State St.
CVS is at it again, this time targeting buildings at 17th and State. The intend to demo the State Farm, 3 houses on Jefferson..., and the another building on state. It'll be a one story building with a sea of parking.
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=CUP17-00072

Site Plan:

Corner of 17th and State:

St. Lukes development at 27th and Fairview
Renderings released!

Site main entry on 27th:

Corner of 27th and Fairview

Southeast Elevation:

Aerial:

Aerial:
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Oct 4, 2017, 10:49 PM

Just a follow up to what Don Day previously posted about
GBAD approved the lighting project on the south scope at their meeting on Sept 1.
https://boisedev.com/news/2017/4/27/...ch?rq=lighting
http://boiseauditorium.com/pdf/AUG20...D%20Packet.pdf

Here is an updated rendering:

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 11:21 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Random cranes are popping up around town.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:30 PM

https://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/gi...nt?oid=7125643

Give Their Regards to Broad Street: A Celebration of Boise LIV District

Behind the scenes—and beneath the pavement

Quote:
"Oh yes, it's going to change," said Falconer. "Not just this neighborhood but the way people will move and be connected to the rest of downtown. We're talking about being better connected to the parks, the Greenbelt [and] the Cultural District. People are about to start living right here," she said, pointing to The Fowler, the soon-to-open 159-unit apartment building next door to Boise Brewing and Boise Weekly. "When people live here, that triggers another wave of development and retail."

"We're talking about everything from an expansion of the city geothermal line to so-called Silva Cells to manifest healthier tree growth, to permeable pavement beneath parking spaces" said Hubble. "Wow! I can get pretty excited about this. I know it sounds strange to get excited about drainage and stormwater, but think of it: the Boise River is integral to the city itself, and managing what flows through the multiple collection systems can be a complex animal."

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...178331441.html
Boiseans love 8th Street. Can the city re-create its feel in a new ‘old’ place?

Quote:
Around the turn of the last century, Boise’s Central Addition just north of Julia Davis Park was an up-and-coming neighborhood. After Union Pacific laid railroad tracks on Front Street in 1903, the neighborhood changed, becoming more urban, more commercial and eventually a little run-down.

Now, the Central Addition has taken on yet another identity. It’s the city’s first “sustainable LIV district.” LIV stands for “lasting environments, “innovative enterprises” and “vibrant communities.”

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...#storylink=cpy

Last edited by Cottonwood; Oct 12, 2017 at 2:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:33 AM

What is this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post

Random cranes are popping up around town.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakor21 View Post
What is this??
Appears to be the Boise High School Gym reno.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 10:52 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Capitol Boulevard

Boise State University
Fine Arts Building
https://giving.boisestate.edu/wp-con...al-Digital.pdf

A blue entity is hovering in this photo

Fifth & Idaho
I am going to post the rest of the current progress photos for this apartment building in my Fall thread

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 10:08 PM

Looks like the CVS planned for Capitol is not moving forward.

Quote:
http://idahobusinessreview.com/2017/...-17th-streets/

CVS pharmacy faces fight at State and 17th streets

T.M. Crowley had applied June 27 to build the second store at Capitol Boulevard and Ann Morrison Park, but that application was withdrawn Aug. 16. Tenants in the Fisher Retail Building at that corner in July did not think a move was imminent.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 9:19 PM

Spent some time in Boise a week ago. As always, Boise treated me well. Sorry about the lower quality.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 10:40 PM
All man. Half nuts.

nice vantage point. I've never been in the upper floors of the Idanha before.

found this image from boise state of downtown boise in 1985. wish I had current shot from the exact same spot so we could compare.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 10:42 PM
All man. Half nuts.

here's another one from a slightly different angle...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 10:47 PM
All man. Half nuts.

....aaaaand a more recent shot. probably taken in 2015 as the Simplot complex was just underway...

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 11:51 PM

Edit: Deleted original post. Strange, the 3D map links I posted originally worked just fine, but don't go to the correct spot now that I check them on my other comp.

Last edited by Visualize; Oct 19, 2017 at 4:58 AM.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2017, 12:49 AM

Huh. I didn't know that the old simplot headquarters use to have a silver mirror glaze on the windows. EDIT: or maybe it's still like that and I never noticed?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West