HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 1:26 AM

I thought this project had already broken ground. Evidently, it did yesterday:

Quote:
Demolition kicks off rebirth of St. Anthony’s dining hall
By: Bay City News | 09/04/12 6:01 PM

Demolition began Tuesday at the original St. Anthony’s Dining Room, which is being razed in order to construct a new facility in its place.

The dining room, located at 45 Jones St. in the Tenderloin, has served an estimated 38 million meals to low-income and homeless people since opening in 1950. It closed in February to make way for construction on the organization’s new dining room, set to open in summer 2014.

On Tuesday morning, construction cranes began tearing down a wall of the building to start demolition, which is scheduled to continue through January, St. Anthony spokesman Karl Robillard said.

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2012...#ixzz25eGaYQby
And a video of the project.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2012, 10:14 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^Excellent!

Here's another little project that is about to get started. From Curbed SF:

Quote:

The site in question is 1266 9th Ave, and the 2-story office building was recently demo'd to make room for a four-story mixed-use building with 15 dwelling-units and 5,650sf ground floor retail. The project was approved back in 2008, but construction is expected to begin soon and be completed in late 2012. The ground floor will be home to a new La Boulange location with outdoor seating.
Not sure how they can complete it by the end of the year. Perhaps they meant 2013?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 3:32 AM

^^^Must be. Interesting development...takes out the parking lot that was next to Hotei. Parking is certainly tight in the 9th and Irving area, but looks like a nice addition to the 9th Ave strip with new residential and a La Boulange.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 3:20 PM

An update on 935-965 Market (aka CityPlace, aka Market Street Place)

From J.K. Dineen in today's SF Business Times:

Quote:
It is the most tantalizing plywood construction barricade San Francisco has seen in years.

Retail developer Dallas real estate firm Cypress Equities and the New York private equity firm Carlyle Group have erected a 15-foot fence along the 900 block of Market Street. It doesn’t look like much, but it is the first tangible sign that the construction is imminent on one of the most stubbornly derelict stretches in San Francisco.

After years of false starts, finally Market Street Place (formerly called CityPlace) is set to rise.

Cypress Equities CEO Chris Maguire said that demolition on the long-vacant buildings will start in December, and excavation shortly thereafter. Meanwhile, the developers will soon put up banners and signs touting the project along the 270 feet of frontage between 935 Market St. and 965 Market St.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 4:09 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Mid-market is going to be almost unrecognizable from what it is today in a few years. Ever see photos of pre-Moscone Yerba Buena from the 70's? I think looking at Mid-market photos from today (or to make the contrast more acute, from a few years ago) will be like that say 10 years from now.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 4:55 PM

thats great ! theres kind of a cutt-off by powell and market not that many people walk beyond that point but a generous amount still do (idk why lol) now with this project everything will change for good ! and hopefully in 5-10 years all of market will be revitalized and linked up !

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 10:13 PM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

1050 Valencia Approved

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfstreetsblog
A car-free, 12-unit condo and retail development was approved unanimously yesterday by the SF Planning Commission, despite opposition from some residents. The project will include no car parking and 28 bike parking spaces.

The building at 1050 Valencia Street will be targeted toward residents seeking the kind of car-free lifestyle that’s increasingly popular in neighborhoods like the Mission District, which is short on housing but among the most walkable, bikeable, and transit-rich parts of San Francisco. The building will be located on the corner of Valencia and Hill Streets, along one of the city’s most heavily-traveled bicycling streets and business corridors. It’s also close to the 24th Street BART station and several major Muni lines. Currently, the site hosts a vacant restaurant space.
http://sf.streetsblog.org/2012/09/07...t/#more-288383

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 11:43 PM
Only Mostly Dead

^There sure has been a lot of hoopla over this one on the local blogs. Have you guys seen what the Liberty Hill Neighborhood Association proposed in its place? It was pretty bad. But even among people who thought their complaints were nonsense and wanted to see something built here, there are many who don't like this proposal at all. I just don't see what's so bad about it. Frankly, I have a pretty low threshold for what I consider good architecture; I know my taste isn't very sophisticated. But I just don't see what's so awful about this design. Maybe someone on here can help me out with that.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
^There sure has been a lot of hoopla over this one on the local blogs. Have you guys seen what the Liberty Hill Neighborhood Association proposed in its place? It was pretty bad. But even among people who thought their complaints were nonsense and wanted to see something built here, there are many who don't like this proposal at all. I just don't see what's so bad about it. Frankly, I have a pretty low threshold for what I consider good architecture; I know my taste isn't very sophisticated. But I just don't see what's so awful about this design. Maybe someone on here can help me out with that.
I'm far from an architecture critic, but it doesn't really bother me either. It doesn't excite nor disappoint, but I do know it looks a helluva lot better than what's there now. Didn't that used to be a KFC?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 12:16 AM

Photo update of 55 Ninth St

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 6:55 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977 View Post
I'm far from an architecture critic, but it doesn't really bother me either. It doesn't excite nor disappoint, but I do know it looks a helluva lot better than what's there now. Didn't that used to be a KFC?
Yes, it was a KFC that was converted into another restaurant--rather cleaver actually, since it was certainly better than those red and white stripes with a chicken bucket!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2012, 8:36 PM
testify

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
^There sure has been a lot of hoopla over this one on the local blogs. Have you guys seen what the Liberty Hill Neighborhood Association proposed in its place? It was pretty bad.
these clowns were mightily slapped down by planning. they basically wanted a bunch of parking, a lower height and fewer residents - all running completely against the neighborhood plan. basically, 3-4 old cranks fighting against the continued improvement of valencia street because it will make the neighborhood infinitesimally more crowded, just beat it.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 10:30 PM

Re 1050 Valencia: You know, it's funny. I USED to be quite an architecture critic. I perused lots of good stuff (both large and small projects) from around the world... one of the nice benefits of the internet. 15 years ago, I would have denounced this proposal as a somewhat undersized, boring neo-victorian. But today, it actually looks pretty good to me, too. In a way, that's kind of sad. (Maybe my tastes have been dumbed-down my the City's overly-bureaucratic and populist planning process.) Architecture can and should inspire.

But on the other hand, even under the best of circumstances, not EVERY project in a city should be exceptional. (Then, you'd have a bunch of stuff all visually competing too much.) So maybe the best we should expect from small projects like this is that they not be TOO predictable and cheap looking. And this one is fine by that standard.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markermiller View Post
Re 1050 Valencia: You know, it's funny. I USED to be quite an architecture critic. I perused lots of good stuff (both large and small projects) from around the world... one of the nice benefits of the internet. 15 years ago, I would have denounced this proposal as a somewhat undersized, boring neo-victorian. But today, it actually looks pretty good to me, too. In a way, that's kind of sad. (Maybe my tastes have been dumbed-down my the City's overly-bureaucratic and populist planning process.) Architecture can and should inspire.

But on the other hand, even under the best of circumstances, not EVERY project in a city should be exceptional. (Then, you'd have a bunch of stuff all visually competing too much.) So maybe the best we should expect from small projects like this is that they not be TOO predictable and cheap looking. And this one is fine by that standard.
Well said! Not every new development needs to be architectural ecstasy. A simple handsome development can do the goodwork of infil while providing a contrast and backdrop for the true gems.

With that said, we need more gems!! I'd particularly like some buildings that are NOT neo-victorian. No bay windows, wood siding, etc. Just something fresh and modern. Is that too much to ask?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 6:47 AM

Delete.

Last edited by RST500; Sep 15, 2012 at 8:04 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 5:35 PM

A request for proposals was just sent out for a 400 foot residential tower with an 85 foot podium building, and up to 580 residential units (20% of which would be afforadable), at 1st and Folsom Streets:

http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2....html#comments
http://mission.sfgov.org/OCA_BID_ATT...TS/FA26000.pdf

Here are a couple renderings from that pdf, showing the proposed locations/heights for towers of the transbay redevelopment plan:

This particular 400' building would be at the location of the tower that's just to the right of that more rectangular tower in the middle of that first render (the one in between the over passes). It'll be pretty amazing if all of those towers end up getting built.

Last edited by tech12; Sep 15, 2012 at 8:10 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 9:58 PM

Delete.

Last edited by RST500; Sep 15, 2012 at 8:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 11:43 PM

San Francisco is the NYC of the west. I'm a die hard LA fan, but it's nothing when compared to the massive skyline of SF. I wish LA had a bay like either city. It's great to see this city continuing to grow.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 8:06 PM

^Looks pretty nice from the pics, but I'd have to see it person to really tell how it compares to the old paint job.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations