HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Refs' assistance was enough to give the Pens a win in game 7. BS interference call on Phaneuf when it was clearly a dive by Kessel. Pens scored on that PP.
How was that not interference? Even if Kessel embellished a bit, Phaneuf clearly put his elbow out and extended he is leg out and pushed into Kessel - resulting in holding him up on the way to the puck. 100% interference.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 12:24 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
assistant coach Jacques Martin hails from Quebec as well. He will have the Cup a few days also.
Jacques Martin is actually from St-Pascal-Baylon which is a village in eastern Ontario not too far from Rockland.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
How was that not interference? Even if Kessel embellished a bit, Phaneuf clearly put his elbow out and extended he is leg out and pushed into Kessel - resulting in holding him up on the way to the puck. 100% interference.
I agree but Kessel did seem to embellish the interference and some believe that he should have also been penalized. What was a bigger concern was that other penalties were not being called and to be fair, this included a too many men on the ice call that was missed against the Sens in overtime. But there were also calls going the other way.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 4:16 AM
Go Chiefs!

Why is Marc Bergevin still making trades???

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
Why is Marc Bergevin still making trades???
He's trying to keep his job...

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 9:12 PM

Nice trade by Bergeron. Got himself a first line player who will hopefully convert to centre and get 65-75 points per season over the 6 years. Hopefully he can trade Galchenyuk for a decent youngish top-4 defenseman - something Montreal needs after trading away their top defensive prospect in the Drouin deal.

Minnesota might be an option with their depth on the blueline.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 1:49 AM

NHL 100 game tickets (being played on December 16th at TD Place) go on sale to Ottawa RedBlack season ticket holders on June 20th.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Come on do you actually think the NHL tries to rig these things? That has to be the most annoying fan reaction to losing and it seems to be a new thing.

Bottomline is every single team in the league has calls go both ways for them all year and the Penguins had a couple calls go their way in the finals. To win a Stanley Cup you usually need a little luck on the way and the Pens had it.
The NHL (just like every other sports league I'm sure) can very well try to push things to favour certain teams or go out of their way to encourage certain cities to get an expansion or relocation over another.

What happened against Ottawa is just one example. A lot of this kind of crap happened against Nashville as well. It also happened to Edmonton vs. Anaheim.

Will anyone deny that Crosby can get away with murder while a lesser known player would get suspended for a lesser offence?

The NHL wants to build up its brand. What better way than to have a new dynasty led by the presumed second coming of Wayne Gretzky.

The expansion itself; the NHL was hoping for Vegas, Seattle and Kansas City. When only Vegas and Québec placed a bid, Québec was thrown aside and only Vegas, who they wanted, got a franchise.

The NHL awards in Vegas is a good example of pushing an expansion franchise. Why have them their every year? Why not awarded to different NHL cities every year like the All-Star Game and Draft? Now more than ever, Vegas should no longer host the awards now that they have a team. No matter how you look at it, it's favouritism.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 10:09 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
The NHL (just like every other sports league I'm sure) can very well try to push things to favour certain teams or go out of their way to encourage certain cities to get an expansion or relocation over another.
If they're doing it through the referee's union i'd be shocked.

Quote:
Will anyone deny that Crosby can get away with murder while a lesser known player would get suspended for a lesser offence?
Literally every sport in the world has this happen to some degree. Hockey is nowhere near the worst culprit.

Quote:
The NHL wants to build up its brand. What better way than to have a new dynasty led by the presumed second coming of Wayne Gretzky.
The NHL's insistence of building brand via players instead of teams has been aggravating to say the least.

Quote:
The expansion itself; the NHL was hoping for Vegas, Seattle and Kansas City. When only Vegas and Québec placed a bid, Québec was thrown aside and only Vegas, who they wanted, got a franchise.
Vegas benefits the NHL more than QC does. We've been over this a million times.

Quebec can be thrown aside because the NHL knows it can go back to Quebec at literally any time in the future and Quebec will still be on its knees waiting with open arms.

Quote:
The NHL awards in Vegas is a good example of pushing an expansion franchise. Why have them their every year? Why not awarded to different NHL cities every year like the All-Star Game and Draft? Now more than ever, Vegas should no longer host the awards now that they have a team. No matter how you look at it, it's favouritism.
The NHL Awards used to be in Toronto every year.

Many cities may or may not have theatre/arena availability like Vegas/Toronto/NYC. A lot of it comes down to scheduling, logistics, and infrastructure. How many celebrities/players/media are going to show up if the awards are in Columbus or Edmonton? It's not an easy sell to sponsors if the NHL calls you up and says "Hey, want to sponsor this event we're putting on? It'll be great exposure for your business interests in Ohio".

In a league built on a corporate business structure whose sole goal is making money for its owners there's favourtism that may lead to making more money? Shocking.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2017, 10:23 PM

See in bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
If they're doing it through the referee's union i'd be shocked.

Are ref's ever disciplined for bad calls? If so, we never hear about it. It's one thing if they miss an interference or slashing call, but when it's something that could have completely changed the momentum of the game, it's a major issue.

Literally every sport in the world has this happen to some degree. Hockey is nowhere near the worst culprit.

No doubt. I'd like to see the NHL set an example though by disciplining its stars the same way as any other player.

The NHL's insistence of building brand via players instead of teams has been aggravating to say the least.

Agreed.

Vegas benefits the NHL more than QC does. We've been over this a million times.

Yes, but Québec would benefit the league non-the-less. I don't oppose Vegas getting a franchise, but I take issue with the NHL's treatment of Québec City.

Quebec can be thrown aside because the NHL knows it can go back to Quebec at literally any time in the future and Quebec will still be on its knees waiting with open arms.

Right you are. Québec City (and Canada) is the NHL's bitch.

The NHL Awards used to be in Toronto every year.

Many cities may or may not have theatre/arena availability like Vegas/Toronto/NYC. A lot of it comes down to scheduling, logistics, and infrastructure. How many celebrities/players/media are going to show up if the awards are in Columbus or Edmonton? It's not an easy sell to sponsors if the NHL calls you up and says "Hey, want to sponsor this event we're putting on? It'll be great exposure for your business interests in Ohio".

In a league built on a corporate business structure whose sole goal is making money for its owners there's favourtism that may lead to making more money? Shocking.

How is it different than the All Star Game, Outdoor Games or the NHL Draft?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 2:45 AM
Go Chiefs!

Alexei Emelin selected by Las Vegas!!!

Good riddance POS!!!

Last edited by Nicko999; Jun 22, 2017 at 4:02 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 2:59 AM

Matthews got 164 out of 167 first place votes. Well deserved.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 3:51 PM

That was the cheesiest piece of crap expansion draft/award show ever. Why is the NHL incapable of marketing itself as a serious entity?

Vegas loaded up with a ton of d men. I assume we'll see some of them moved for staggered 2018/2019 draft picks before the start of the season.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
That was the cheesiest piece of crap expansion draft/award show ever. Why is the NHL incapable of marketing itself as a serious entity?

Vegas loaded up with a ton of d men. I assume we'll see some of them moved for staggered 2018/2019 draft picks before the start of the season.
I was pissed the Jays game was pushed to Sportnet One for that show. I had to upgrade my Rogers account last night to watch the game.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 5:05 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Does the draft signify the end of the season or the start of a new season? I would argue it's time to start a new thread for the 2017-2018 season (or rename the current thread).

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 5:13 PM

Oilers deal Jordan Eberle to Islanders for Ryan Strome

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Does the draft signify the end of the season or the start of a new season? I would argue it's time to start a new thread for the 2017-2018 season (or rename the current thread).
You mean like this thread?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 5:41 PM

Well I suppose last night would mark the end of the season with the awards. Friday night will mark the beginning of the new season with the draft pics. Today would be season limbo.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada