HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

Wanda Vista in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

View Full Map

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
First for Chicago's skyline: Open floor to cope with wind, keep residents from getting queasy
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...21-column.html
Reminds me of this video.

Video Link

Pretty sure that would cause some issues with potential residents. (and that's only on the 45th floor)

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 10:52 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Fortunately, highrises (in general) are structurally designed to move/sway - Whether wind or seismic loads (videos of highrises in Tokyo during the 2011 Tohoku/Fukushima earthquake show the incredible way the buildings were swaying, even though the epicenter was 230 miles from Tokyo), highrises have a minimum structural safety factor that is designed to allow for some movement due to external forces.

I think the idea of an open floor/s to minimize wind load effects is smart and a cheaper way to mitigate the problem....and by cheaper I mean compared to other means, like a tuned mass damper, which could also potentially alter the design much more significantly than what is being planned.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 3:52 AM
Urban Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Good point, or perhaps there will be drain holes in the floor that direct water into the main stacks?
Mmm...those are gpnna freeze and expansion... ill bet a beer that these will just shed water

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 11:31 PM

Doesn't seem like it would be all that safe to ride a giant form attached to a crane over a construction site.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 12:43 AM

Balls of steel! That's Old School right there. Gotta do what you gotta do to get the job done. Love it.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 5:46 AM

07/24/17

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 10:44 AM

If the blow-thru was contemplated a year ago, why did the height change just this month?

Also, if the wind is such a concern that you need a blow-thru floor, why is it nearly at the top? You'd think it would be at the halfway or two-thirds point. Maybe the double-tube segment offers better rigidity, but then it also creates more wind resistance, so shouldn't the the irresistible force win over the not-really-immovable object? Plus, having the blow-thru at, say, the final setback could let it function as a giant shaded extension of the roofdeck.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
If the blow-thru was contemplated a year ago, why did the height change just this month?

Also, if the wind is such a concern that you need a blow-thru floor, why is it nearly at the top? You'd think it would be at the halfway or two-thirds point. Maybe the double-tube segment offers better rigidity, but then it also creates more wind resistance, so shouldn't the the irresistible force win over the not-really-immovable object? Plus, having the blow-thru at, say, the final setback could let it function as a giant shaded extension of the roofdeck.
Why the top...?

Maybe that's where the sway was the worst?

Those floor plates are smaller, so you're losing less sellable square footage?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Balls of steel! That's Old School right there. Gotta do what you gotta do to get the job done. Love it.
He's not hooked on to anything? You know that guys been working for thirty plus years. Or he's Travis Pastrana.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 4:25 PM

Quote:
I can't imagine the number of meetings and discussions were needed to get this operation approved. ...or they just did it and sought forgiveness....

Old Posted Jul 25, 2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisvfr800i View Post
I can't imagine the number of meetings and discussions were needed to get this operation approved. ...or they just did it and sought forgiveness....

always worked for me

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Why the top...?

Maybe that's where the sway was the worst?

Those floor plates are smaller, so you're losing less sellable square footage?
Well by this logic the blow-through would be on the 97th floor, but then you'd just have all the sway of a 96-story building. So you have to push the blow-through lower down to some point that maximizes the lessening of sway. In other words it doesn't go where sway is greatest; it should theoretically go where eliminating a wind load will reduce sway the most. Where that happy medium is I certainly don't know, but on the 83rd floor the blow-through is about 80% up the building, which at least seems a little high. On 432 Park, they are nicely dispersed at 22%, 37%, 53%, 69%, and 84% (going off of its Emporis page). Intuitively makes much more sense, though of course the buildings are different in their massings and in other ways.

What I'm really wondering is whether it would have been much more effective a bit lower, at the final setback -- but got pushed upwards for aesthetic reasons.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Well by this logic the blow-through would be on the 97th floor, but then you'd just have all the sway of a 96-story building. So you have to push the blow-through lower down to some point that maximizes the lessening of sway. In other words it doesn't go where sway is greatest; it should theoretically go where eliminating a wind load will reduce sway the most. Where that happy medium is I certainly don't know, but on the 83rd floor the blow-through is about 80% up the building, which at least seems a little high. On 432 Park, they are nicely dispersed at 22%, 37%, 53%, 69%, and 84% (going off of its Emporis page). Intuitively makes much more sense, though of course the buildings are different in their massings and in other ways.

What I'm really wondering is whether it would have been much more effective a bit lower, at the final setback -- but got pushed upwards for aesthetic reasons.
The concrete shear walls on the north and south end of the highest portion of the tower end at the same point as the middle portion of the tower. It's then just columns and the core the rest of the way to the top to open up views. This suggests that the portion with shear walls are going to be significantly more rigid and I would guess those shear walls are the reason they don't need any blow-thru floors below that point. One can assume that of those top floors the ones closest to the sheer walls are the most stable. Floors closer to the base have less leverage on the structure than those at the top and since they have the smallest floor plates of the frustrum making them blow-thru does even less to negate the effects of the wind because there's less surface area for the wind to push against.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 1:34 AM

Quote:
Poor bast#$×#, gonna be a long year for him! One down......

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 6:07 AM

My tour:

07/25/17

More to come...

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 9:31 AM
Editor

Look at the thickness of the concrete!!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 2:34 PM

So correct me please. So when these forms are done going diagonal they are going to start going vertical and the forms that are going straight veritcal now are going to connect to the diagonal one to start making the floor plates?

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
The concrete shear walls on the north and south end of the highest portion of the tower end at the same point as the middle portion of the tower. It's then just columns and the core the rest of the way to the top to open up views. This suggests that the portion with shear walls are going to be significantly more rigid and I would guess those shear walls are the reason they don't need any blow-thru floors below that point. One can assume that of those top floors the ones closest to the sheer walls are the most stable. Floors closer to the base have less leverage on the structure than those at the top and since they have the smallest floor plates of the frustrum making them blow-thru does even less to negate the effects of the wind because there's less surface area for the wind to push against.

this was a great explanation. thank you.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2017, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
My tour:
More to come...
Great inside look. Thanks

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 12:39 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Wind tunnel scale models are very effective tools that help architects and structural engineers determine where lateral and seismic loads will be most detrimental to the structure on the actual highrise. That is what determined where the pass-through floor would be located. It is not arbitrary.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction