HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
http://www.pewforum.org/religious-la...le-metro-area/

Apparently about 2% of people in metro Seattle are Hindu (I can't see Sikhism marked anywhere but "other world religions is" < 1%).
2% of the metro area's 3.8 million is about 76, 000.

But of Seattle's population by ethnicity, only 1.5% are Indian, implying more Hindus than Indians. If you take this on face value, then even if almost all Seattle metro's Indians are Hindus you'd need to have others who are non-Indian to make up the difference. Again, numbers seem off.
I find it more striking that 23% of the population are evangelical Christian. I guess there's still a lot of them in the outskirts of Seattle?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 9:21 PM
See ya down under, mates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
I think that is likely the case.

Asians have been a visible presence in Vancouver from the beginning. Chinese and Japanese made up a similar proportion of the population that Jews did in Toronto, Montreal and Winnipeg a century ago. While Van's Asian population has rapidly expanded in proportion and raw numbers, it's not as if they're only a recent addition to the population. So I suspect Asian culture is more "ingrained" in the general culture.
I'm gonna disagree with this. Chinese culture was essentially non-existent in almost all of metro Vancouver before the mid 90s, as someone who lived through the changes. I had one Chinese girl in my elementary school class in the 80s, and it was one third Chinese by high school graduation (1998). And that's in a relatively "non-Chinese" neighbourhood.

"Vancouver was always Chinese" is a historical re-write by people who want to label others as racist most of the time (not you). The cultural changes in the last 15 years have been extraordinarily rapid, exacerbated by non-mainland Chinese leaving the city, and even someone 10 years younger than me could easily get the impression that Vancouver was always an Asian city.

Any Japanese culture that did exist here was wiped out by internment camps and "east of Rockies" laws. It never came back.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I'm gonna disagree with this. Chinese culture was essentially non-existent in almost all of metro Vancouver before the mid 90s, as someone who lived through the changes. I had one Chinese girl in my elementary school class in the mid 80s, and it was one third Chinese by high school graduation (1998). And that's in a relatively "non-Chinese" neighbourhood.

"Vancouver was always Chinese" is a historical re-write by people who want to label others as racist most of the time (not you). The cultural changes in the last 15 years have been extraordinarily rapid, and even someone 10 years younger than me could easily get the impression that Vancouver was always an asian city.

And any Japanese culture that did exist here was wiped out by internment camps and "east of Rockies" laws. It never came back.
I'm not disputing the major demographic changes. But even if Van was say, 5-10% Asian for most of its history that's still enough to have been noticed.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 9:40 PM

Quote:
I'm not disputing the major demographic changes. But even if Van was say, 5-10% Asian for most of its history that's still enough to have been noticed.
And if hardly any North American cities were over 5-10% Asian for most of their history, then Vancouver probably stands out (which others can lay claim to similar numbers -- the Bay Area or other Northern Californian cities? Honolulu?) a lot more than most cities.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 12:35 AM

BC comes out in first in terms of the number of immigrants from Japan and Taiwan, and from Oceania (Australia, New Zealand and Fiji).

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 2:25 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I grew up in NE BC we had a few hutterite communities, but they seem far more visible in Alberta, perhaps I never paid attention before in BC but see them all the time now, usually very blonde and they speak a weird version of german, its kinda like germglish or something its like half german half english. Sometimes you see some woman in jeans but they still wear the headcovering and then some break away entirely from the community but you can still see that they are from a hutterite community, they just seem to have a look to them.
I had never heard of Hutterites till I visited Lethbridge. I became fascinated due to their relative anonymity in Canada. Lethbridge has a ton of Hutterites. You can't go out without bumping into one. Their birth rate has plummeted since the 1980s but I believe they still average 5 children/woman. They're starting from a low base (~35,000) but if they keep procreating at the same rate it will get interesting 20-30 years from now.

They might start effecting the overall birth rates in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. Hutterites could single handedly stop the decline of the German language in Canada. Btw, I was aware of the colony in BC. Are they in agricultural belts in BC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsicum View Post
Does the German spoken in western Canadian communities have any relation with the "Pennsylvanian Dutch" German or other variety of immigrant-brought German in North America?
They're similar in that Amish, Mennonite, and Hutterite are all German speaking 'Ana-baptist' groups that left Europe due to persecution. I believe they came from different German speaking areas of Europe. Maybe someone out west can rhyme in but is the German spoken by Hutterites similar to Swiss-German?

Canadian Hutterites or Canadian Mennonites?
Video Link

Last edited by isaidso; Jan 16, 2018 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2018, 3:58 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
I had never heard of Hutterites till I visited Lethbridge. I became fascinated due to their relative anonymity in Canada. Lethbridge has a ton of Hutterites. You can't go out without bumping into one. Their birth rate has plummeted since the 1980s but I believe they still average 5 children/woman. They're starting from a low base (~35,000) but if they keep procreating at the same rate it will get interesting 20-30 years from now.

They might start effecting the overall birth rates in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba. Hutterites could single handedly stop the decline of the German language in Canada. Btw, I was aware of the colony in BC. Are they in agricultural belts in BC?

They're similar in that Amish, Mennonite, and Hutterite are all German speaking 'Ana-baptist' groups that left Europe due to persecution. I believe they came from different German speaking areas of Europe. Maybe someone out west can rhyme in but is the German spoken by Hutterites similar to Swiss-German?
The Mennonites speak Low German, which is similar to Frisian from what I remember. Not sure about the Hutterites.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Jewish concentrations in Toronto, Montreal and Winnipeg:

http://www.jewishdatabank.org/Studies/canada.cfm
Looking around again, here's a revised Toronto one:

Thornhill (Vaughan) 31,555 46.6%
Maple 15,150 14.9%
Bathurst-Lawrence 15,045* 39.1%
Forest Hill/Cedarvale 14,165 31.3%
Richmond Hill 11,735 6.4%
Bathurst Manor/Clanton Park 10,645 29.8%
Thornhill (Markham) 7,185 15%
Westminster-Branson 7,160 37.3%
York Mills 5,990 20.5%
Annex/Yorkville 3,520 12.8%

* my calculation, religion only as there is no estimate for this area

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:29 AM

Brampton and Surrey are home to 45% of all Sikhs in Canada.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:35 AM

One very concentrated group:

Guyanese

Total population: 84,275
87% in Ontario

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 5:11 PM
recession proof

^I'm gonna mess with your mind but I once met a Guyanese Hutterite!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2018, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
The Mennonites speak Low German, which is similar to Frisian from what I remember. Not sure about the Hutterites.
The Hutterites speak a more high German dialect that differs substantially from the low German Amish and Mennonites. My Mom was an ER physician in Calgary and often had Hutterite and Mennonite patients. She could understand the Mennonites far better than she could the Hutterites. She grew up around Mennonites in Saskatchewan and her parents were ethnic Germans from from the Black Sea region of Russia/Ukraine. The Hutterites arouse in Austria, the Mennonites in the Netherlands and Southern Germany and the Amish in Switzerland. The Mennonites and Hutterites spent several generations in Russia which somewhat influenced their dialects.

I never thought of Mennonites or Hutteritites as a curiosity other than many of them being extremely tall and broad shouldered. They are all over Alberta. Calgary has a few Mennonite private schools. Mennonites are more likely to inter-marry. I knew lots of people with one Mennonite parent. Again, almost all of them where insanely tall, muscular and blond.

Last edited by Doug; Jan 20, 2018 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 5:23 AM

Looking at predominantly Black ethnic groups, the Caribbean population is much more geographically concentrated in Toronto/Montreal than the African immigrant population.

I subtracted Hispanic groups from Caribbean origins and South African/Afrikaner and all North Africans except Sudanese from African origins in order to exclude mostly non-Black groups. Unspecified African or Black was also excluded since it's not easy to tell whether they're immigrant or "native" Blacks.

Nonhispanic Caribbean

Total population: 693,550
63.1% in Ontario

Subsaharan African

Total population: 466,975
43.5% in Ontario

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 6:11 AM

Black population

Ontario 627,715
Quebec 319,230
Alberta 129,395
BC 43,500
Manitoba 30,335
Nova Scotia 21,915

Caribbean (excluding Hispanic groups)

Ontario 437,430
Quebec 179,715
Alberta 32,555
BC 22,380
Manitoba 10,110
Nova Scotia 4,520

Subsaharan African (excluding South African)

Ontario 203,300
Quebec 114,975
Alberta 89,850
BC 21,325
Manitoba 19,450
Nova Scotia 2,775

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 12:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Black population

Ontario 627,715
Quebec 319,230
Alberta 129,395
BC 43,500
Manitoba 30,335
Nova Scotia 21,915

Caribbean (excluding Hispanic groups)

Ontario 437,430
Quebec 179,715
Alberta 32,555
BC 22,380
Manitoba 10,110
Nova Scotia 4,520

Subsaharan African (excluding South African)

Ontario 203,300
Quebec 114,975
Alberta 89,850
BC 21,325
Manitoba 19,450
Nova Scotia 2,775
Those numbers for Quebec confirm my impression that the sub-Saharan African population here is fast catching up to the Caribbean (massively Haitian) population.

That trend isn't nearly as strong in Ontario.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 12:40 PM
recession proof

I know the Sudanese population is growing in the GTA.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 1:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

There are few groups whose population is not growing in the GTA! :-))

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Looking at predominantly Black ethnic groups, the Caribbean population is much more geographically concentrated in Toronto/Montreal than the African immigrant population.

I subtracted Hispanic groups from Caribbean origins and South African/Afrikaner and all North Africans except Sudanese from African origins in order to exclude mostly non-Black groups. Unspecified African or Black was also excluded since it's not easy to tell whether they're immigrant or "native" Blacks.
How do you define "predominantly" for this purpose? A substantial minority of those with non-Hispanic Caribbean origins in this country are not Black. Those of South Asian origins comprise a plurality* of the population in Trinidad and Guyana, and Indo-Caribbeans from those countries are very well represented in Canada. Although much fewer in number, White Caribbeans are likely over-represented in Canada.

Additionally, those of South Asian descent likely form a disproportionately large percentage of those in Canada with origins in certain African countries (e.g., Uganda and Kenya).

*According to Guyana's 2012 census, its population is 39.8% of South Asian descent; Trinidad's 2011 census found that those of South Asian descent comprised 37.6% of the population. In both countries, those of mixed South Asian/African descent (sometimes called Dougla) constituted a fairly large chunk of the population.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
How do you define "predominantly" for this purpose? A substantial minority of those with non-Hispanic Caribbean origins in this country are not Black. Those of South Asian origins comprise a plurality* of the population in Trinidad and Guyana, and Indo-Caribbeans from those countries are very well represented in Canada. Although much fewer in number, White Caribbeans are likely over-represented in Canada.

Additionally, those of South Asian descent likely form a disproportionately large percentage of those in Canada with origins in certain African countries (e.g., Uganda and Kenya).

*According to Guyana's 2012 census, its population is 39.8% of South Asian descent; Trinidad's 2011 census found that those of South Asian descent comprised 37.6% of the population. In both countries, those of mixed South Asian/African descent (sometimes called Dougla) constituted a fairly large chunk of the population.
Unfortunately it's not that easy, since Statscan doesn't simply tell you what percentage of every origin group is Black.

The number of Canadians who write "Ugandan" or "Kenyan" on the census is tiny (smaller than the number born in those countries in fact). Guyanese is clustered with "Latin American, Central and South American origins" so I didn't include it.

The data is suggestive, not the final word by any means. As you can see, in Ontario the Caribbean + Subsaharan African actually exceeds the Black population, so obviously there's a minority of these groups that are not Black.

Last edited by Docere; Jan 27, 2018 at 6:31 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2018, 5:49 PM

If you have a university account or access to a public library, you can run access the Census Analyser and run a PUMF file.

This data is only available for 2011, but I see no reason to believe the proportions would have changed dramatically.

Nationwide, 86% of those of "Caribbean origins" are Black, as are 61% of those claiming "African origins." With North African and South African excluded from the African group for example, surely the percentage is higher. I can say with confidence that the majority in both the Caribbean and Subsaharan African groups are Black.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada