HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

University District South Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Surrey Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 2:49 AM

[Surrey] University District | 67 & 82 m | 26 & 32fl | U/C

Since I couldnt find the thread (dont think we started one)
stuff about them can be found here
http://www.bosaproperties.com/upcomi...php?project=55
http://developers.surrey.ca/AMANDA5/...ect_detail.jsp

While these two towers are part of a huge area set for redevelopment set for central city by bosa. They are phase 1 and 2
Phase 1 will be the smaller tower with town houses
phase 2 will be the taller tower with retail for the corner of university drive and 104 ave.

a plus with this they are keep in line with the keep taller towers towards central and smaller on the out edge to keep views corridors for towers

now heres some photos

east

south

north

west

Last edited by Whalleyboy; May 21, 2012 at 3:20 AM. Reason: added photos

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 3:00 AM

interesting. are there plans to have 134a continue through to 104

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 3:41 AM

Not wild about the lack of a coherent streetwall, or the introduction of the Generic Bosa Tower™ to Surrey, but it's nice to see a project that actually includes retail at a prominent intersection for once. Good to finally have something going in there.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 5:18 AM

I don't think I can design something this dumb-looking if I tried

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 11:03 AM

I don't really see them as being dumb looking. They're more just plain if anything. You can't expect every building in surrey to be a marvel of architecture.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 2:47 PM

Any word on start dates and target completion?

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 2:58 PM

I agree, I don't think they are dumb looking, but they do lack note worthy design cues. It looks like just another generic, cookie cutter development.

Still, I'm happy to see that parcel of land being developed. I wish they'd complete the tower/retail end portion first and install a Starbucks and small grocer or something - that would be beneficial to the neighbourhood than just town homes.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 5:33 PM

These are as cookie cutter as it gets, however at least the street level is up to standard.

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 7:17 PM

Yeah, pretty generic - the caps need design work

What's the existing tower next door?

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 8:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Yeah, pretty generic - the caps need design work

What's the existing tower next door?
Ugly old co-op building: Street View link

Old Posted May 18, 2012, 9:15 PM

I believe future plans are to take the parking lot in front of that building(old co-op) out and add a small retail spot there to continue with the retail along 104 ave

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 1:24 AM

The condos appear to reflect the efforts of a lackadaisical design team working on a Friday afternoon. The street level orientation is agreeable but the whole project above the podium needs a design overhaul. There is no reason to build tenement-style block buildings with mech penthouses protruding on top. That is the type of structure you see when kids play with Lego.

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invisibleairwaves View Post
Ugly old co-op building:
Thanks

Old Posted May 19, 2012, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalleyboy View Post
I don't really see them as being dumb looking. They're more just plain if anything. You can't expect every building in surrey to be a marvel of architecture.

^^This is bland and generic, which I greatly prefer over dumb design and half-baked attempts at integrating the mech penthouse into the facade. fyi, that's a condo in etobicoke. I think we've reached a point where the average suburban Toronto condo is getting nicer than an average suburban Vancouver one.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 3:13 AM

added a few more photos up top for the landscaping around these towers

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:54 AM

*edit

Last edited by TheEmotionalstone; May 22, 2012 at 2:59 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 5:15 AM

I always find these forums interesting in the sense that most people seem to be of the opinion that every highrise tower should be an architectural masterpiece when the reality is there isn't a city I think anywhere in the world where this is a reality.

Even if you look at Vancouver or Chicago or New York, 75% of the buildings in those cities are pretty generic box designed towers. Are they amazing? No. But that's how things happen. I'm more concerned about the street fronting than I am the towers themselves. I just see towers in Surrey right now as getting more population and more demand to the area. That in turn will drive more buildings and more chance for those architectural masterpieces.

Are these buildings great looking? Nope (though they are just renderings right now). But I'd rather see them built in their current form than to see some amazing design sit on a diagram in some architect's office for eternity like the majority of past Surrey developments have gone.

Then again maybe I just don't see the 'art' in building designs. I mean I've read people on here talk about Ultra like it is some great looking tower then the same people turn around and say the infinity towers look like garbage. To me they look pretty much the same. Modern towers with balconies and people living in them bringing demand to an area that is trying to densify.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 4:35 PM

Agreed jhausner, shovels in the ground always beat dreams in the sky......

but this is also a design forum in addition to a development forum....can't blame people who are skyscraper design fans for always hoping for unique projects....i blame doug mccallum for creating these unrealistic expectations lol

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 11:50 PM

Colour does a lot for the building's look. The towers over Costco downtown look great with those colour walls.

Old Posted May 23, 2012, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhausner View Post
I always find these forums interesting in the sense that most people seem to be of the opinion that every highrise tower should be an architectural masterpiece when the reality is there isn't a city I think anywhere in the world where this is a reality.

Even if you look at Vancouver or Chicago or New York, 75% of the buildings in those cities are pretty generic box designed towers. Are they amazing? No. But that's how things happen. I'm more concerned about the street fronting than I am the towers themselves. I just see towers in Surrey right now as getting more population and more demand to the area. That in turn will drive more buildings and more chance for those architectural masterpieces.

Are these buildings great looking? Nope (though they are just renderings right now). But I'd rather see them built in their current form than to see some amazing design sit on a diagram in some architect's office for eternity like the majority of past Surrey developments have gone.

Then again maybe I just don't see the 'art' in building designs. I mean I've read people on here talk about Ultra like it is some great looking tower then the same people turn around and say the infinity towers look like garbage. To me they look pretty much the same. Modern towers with balconies and people living in them bringing demand to an area that is trying to densify.
You're missing the point I was making. I wasn't demanding architectural masterpieces. I was asking for architectural honesty and simpler floorplans, such as the example I posted, which is basically a glass/spandrel slab. Vancouver's addiction to expensive point-tower massings - with all those zig-zag corners and setbacks - comes at a cost to design at the lower end of the market. That mentality killed the original design for Marine Gateway and gave us two generic turds instead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley