HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 9:33 PM
Urban Advocate

I can't see the CRB letting this go with Villeneuve so close by, and the attempt at direct competition with EIA for medi and corporate.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 9:41 PM

My only concern is if any of the general aviation airports (Parkland, Villeneuve) start entertaining scheduled service. I don't want to see a repeat of the pre-1995 YEG/YXD debacle.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 10:09 PM

"The Parkland Airport Development Corp. wants to build an airport on farmland south of Highway 16A and west of Highway 60, about five minutes west of Anthony Henday Drive."
I don't understand how this location will be much different than the international?
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 10:30 PM
Change is good

The idea is that its a local airport, not an international. Apparently some feel there is a big gap with the city center airport closing...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 10:54 PM

I do not see this moving ahead from the discussion phase or at least early planning. There are only a few players left that have not committed to moving to the international. I think you will see some major community campaigning against it.

There were plans for an executive airport north of Calgary but that is dead.

There will always be people that are pissed YXD is closed, get over it. We do not have the location or population that makes having and airport with services like Toronto Island economical.

Springbank is different in that it is slightly closer but also has great road connections and people that own their own plane would near it.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
We do not have the location or population that makes having and airport with services like Toronto Island economical.
We will never know because of the flight restrictions of the muni. But that decision is made.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
We will never know because of the flight restrictions of the muni. But that decision is made.
We do not have 100+ head office or 1 hour flying time to most Major Business centres in North America.

If Denver, Huston Dallas etc., were within a reasonable flight time similar to TO, Chicago, NY or Washington then I could see it.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 1:28 AM

The chances of Edmonton vetoing a new airport on the west edge of the City are 100%. The chances of ERAA developing a 3rd runway at EIA to provide a similar service function for flight schools and smaller planes is 50%...I bet it is under consideration.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 3:00 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Sorry guys, 100% federal jurisdiction. The supreme court ruled on this more than two years ago. At which time I pointed out this was inevitable in both Edmonton and Markham. I just thought Markham would be first.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 3:12 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
The idea is that its a local airport, not an international. Apparently some feel there is a big gap with the city center airport closing...
Well yeah, in three years precisely nothing has been done to accommodate the non-airline aviation interests in the region. Culminating in the veto of the plan to service Villeneuve last fall. The improvements to accommodate medivac don't really make the place any more usable.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 8:19 PM
Change is good

The veto of the plan to service Villeneuve was more about the low density sprawl they tied in to it.... Not sure why they did that, but that's what got it veto'd.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 10:02 PM
Inflatable Hippo

That is a whole other debate...

The infrastructure required at ZVL today was required every bit as much twenty years ago when YXD was in full operation. There is no real relationship between the two other than it is reason 4719 that the non-airline world doesn't trust ERAA to deliver on anything, ever. Unless you're Joe Cessna who will tolerate the primitiveness of ZVL for the sheer euphoria of powered flight, those who remain at YXD just don't have anywhere to go.

There is going to be a private airport built in the Edmonton region and if the proponents are aggressive enough there isn't much that can be done to stop it. After smacking down Quebec in court on this issue the federal government isn't going to be entertaining many municipalities objections to private airfields.

As for YXD, a temporary reprieve is looking likely. Some pretty big mistakes have been made on the lawsuits and expropriation.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2013, 10:20 PM
Inflatable Hippo

This looks to be the only news story still online:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../15710441.html

Quote:
OTTAWA - Provinces and municipalities don't have the authority to block private landowners from building runways or landing seaplanes on their property, Canada's top court ruled Friday.

The Supreme Court of Canada upheld two prior rulings by the Quebec Court of Appeal relating to property owners who violated either municipal or provincial zoning regulations by operating aircraft on their own land.

According the court's decision, the provinces and municipalities were encroaching on federal aviation law by trying to stop these activities.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 1:06 AM

Woah. I am surprised.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Policy Wonk View Post
This looks to be the only news story still online:

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canad.../15710441.html
True, but they also would need federal approval to have regular passenger service. You honestly think Westjet or Air Canada would fly in and out of an unregulated airport?

One little incident and the litigation potential would kill any airline.....

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 5:48 AM
Inflatable Hippo

And here we are back to almost everyone missing the point, the same point that has been missed consistently from the moment the ERAA began winding down YXD in 2004.

There is more to aviation than Air Canada and WestJet, and the needs of the general and corporate aviation world are not merely different, but often completely incompatible.

It isn't outside the realm of possibility that a charter airline might be attracted to an alternate facility by lower costs, but neither a reprieved YXD, a miraculously improved ZVL or privately owned facility will be a competitor to YEG.

But watching the hyperventilating on Connect2Edmonton will be mildly entertaining when the time comes.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 6:00 AM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Woah. I am surprised.
I was surprised the ruling went more or less unreported at the time.

It will leap into the news when the Thomson Family begins extending the runway at their private airfield which is rapidly being encroached upon by suburbia and nobody can do anything to stop them.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 3:41 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

I don't know why I would be bothered by this, but I am not. I don't mind it actually. Not sure why you are coming into this thread, PW. Are you seeing if others would be upset by this?

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 5:57 PM
Change is good

Ahh I see Policy Wonk is back. Just like Redd Foxx is back on C2E.

Anyways, hyperventlating a side, I think Policy Wonk misses some points his self. I think most could care less if someone sets up a small GA airport west of the city. The purpose of that airport couldn't be used as a potential threat against YEG, unlike YXD was. YXD threat was turning Edmonton into just a feeder route to Calgarys international. Having two competing airports would kill one or the other (YXD or YEG), and YEG is the better airport for national and international flights. Some of the players involved with YXD wanted it to compete with YEG for scheduled services, and will fight until the last possible moment in order to restore YXD to its former limited self.
The other point about YXD is that there is a much better use for the land in the middle of the city. YXD could never live up to its full potential, as its hemmed in from all sides. It was time to shut it down.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2013, 8:31 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
I don't know why I would be bothered by this, but I am not. I don't mind it actually. Not sure why you are coming into this thread, PW. Are you seeing if others would be upset by this?
Well it certainly isn't as though I haven't demonstrated a long-term interest in the subject.

I posted most recently because people were suggesting that the entire proposal could be vetoed in say the same way the Parkland industrial proposal was vetoed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton