HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 2:59 AM
Meh

^True enough. Although Corpus Christi sits on a bay too. Are we not going to count it too?

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:05 AM
B-MORE than u strive for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
N

nice-looking project. can't wait to see the finishing product!

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 12:53 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
^True enough. Although Corpus Christi sits on a bay too. Are we not going to count it too?
I wonder if this would be the tallest building directly on the Gulf (ie, in a city or resort that is situated on the coastline itself). While there are some condos of significant height in the Pensacola , Navarre and Panama City Beach resort areas of the FL panhandle, I can't think of any that approach 450-500ft heights. Perhaps Clearwater/St Petersberg, but thats about it.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 1:26 PM
Ex Houstonian

That tower just screams retro 50s or something. I dont know what it is but it looks like something straight out of the 50s. I like it and all but its just a very strange design.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 4:58 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs
I wonder if this would be the tallest building directly on the Gulf (ie, in a city or resort that is situated on the coastline itself). While there are some condos of significant height in the Pensacola , Navarre and Panama City Beach resort areas of the FL panhandle, I can't think of any that approach 450-500ft heights. Perhaps Clearwater/St Petersberg, but thats about it.
I didn't really look into it, so I'm not sure. I pretty much assumed there would be something taller in Florida along the gulf. I think the tallest buildings around Pensacola are around 400 feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoliterland
That tower just screams retro 50s or something. I dont know what it is but it looks like something straight out of the 50s. I like it and all but its just a very strange design.
It does. It sort of looks like some of the older apartment/condo buildings in New York and Chicago. I love the look of horizontal balconies like that.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 5:05 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I didn't really look into it, so I'm not sure. I pretty much assumed there would be something taller in Florida along the gulf. I think the tallest buildings around Pensacola are around 400 feet.

It does. It sort of looks like some of the older apartment/condo buildings in New York and Chicago. I love the look of horizontal balconies like that.
I did a quick search earlier this morning and I don't see very many that exceed 400 feet along the Gulf coast. The current tallest appear to be in Fort Myers and Pensacola Beach, FL.

This is almost South Florida material... it would fit in well in Sunny Isles or Miami Beach. Speaking of Sunny Isles... the condos there are amazing, and some would tower over this building. Until recently, I had not even heard of that city.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2009, 5:19 AM
Meh

Damn.

Quote:
South Padre's 'leaning tower' to be demolished

By Lynn Brezosky
- Express-News

BROWNSVILLE — The company that imploded the Stardust Hotel in Las Vegas, the Seattle Kingdome and the RCA Dome in Indianapolis has been hired to demolish Ocean Tower, an unfinished condominium tower that has been sinking into the sands of South Padre Island.

The 31-story building, since dubbed the “Leaning Tower of Padre,” is now the subject of a $125 million lawsuit against Raba-Kistner Consultants Inc. of San Antonio and Datum Engineering of Austin.
Read more

From the article:

Quote:
Demolition is set for November by Controlled Demolition Inc., which set the Guinness World Record for largest structure implosion by volume when it brought down the Kingdome.
By the way, this should be the tallest building ever to be demolished in Texas. The finished height of the building was to be 470 feet. They had already reached the main roof, but hadn't yet put on the crown. The next tallest building to be demolished in Texas was Fort Worth's Landmark Tower (380 feet). This one should be at least ~440 feet tall.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 3, 2009, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Moody Gardens to renovate Rainforest Pyramid

Houston Business Journal
Friday, October 2, 2009, 10:14am CDT

Done in multiple phases, modifications to the pyramid will include a new entrance, a walkway that will lead guests through the canopy level, new vantage points, new plants, birds, animals, fish and butterflies. As in the past, there also will be access to the lower levels of the exhibit.

Moody Gardens expects the full enhancement to take two years, and a grand opening is planned for early 2011.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houst.../daily47.html#

Old Posted Dec 13, 2009, 8:36 PM
Meh

Ocean Tower SPI was demolished today.

Video Link

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 5:24 AM

Galveston Plearsure Pier update

"Construction is under way. After its scheduled late-May opening, the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier will jut out 1,000 feet over the surf at 25th Street, where the original Pleasure Pier stood from 1943 until it was destroyed by Hurricane Carla in 1961. More recently, it was the site of the Flagship, an over-the-water hotel built in 1965 that was demolished after 2008's Hurricane Ike.

The project will feature 16 rides, carnival games and souvenir shops. Food vendors will offer sausage-on-a-stick and other tourist favorites. And it will house the state's first Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., which Fertitta owns through his Houston-based Landry's."

http://www.chron.com/business/articl...498.php#page-2

Edit: Just saw it posted in the Houston thread...

Last edited by Xsatyr; Jan 30, 2012 at 6:04 AM.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 9:06 AM

Schlitterbahn opening hotel on South Padre

Quote:
By Lynn Brezosky
Published 05:36 p.m., Thursday, February 2, 2012

Schlitterbahn plans to open the first phase of a 221-room hotel and indoor/outdoor water park this summer, company officials said Thursday.

The beachfront hotel is being built on the location of the former Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort, which had been closed since 2008's Hurricane Dolly.

Schlitterbahn spokesman Jeffrey Siebert said the “huge multimillion-dollar investment” is a new concept for Schlitterbahn, which has water parks in New Braunfels, Galveston Island and Kansas City.

A retractable roof will allow for year-round, rainy-weather access, he said, and day visitors to the existing summer park will be able to use new attractions, including heated pools and swim-up bars.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...re-2967525.php

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 3:01 PM
OTTO, OTTO DER ZOMBIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsatyr View Post

"Construction is under way. After its scheduled late-May opening, the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier will jut out 1,000 feet over the surf at 25th Street, where the original Pleasure Pier stood from 1943 until it was destroyed by Hurricane Carla in 1961. More recently, it was the site of the Flagship, an over-the-water hotel built in 1965 that was demolished after 2008's Hurricane Ike.

The project will feature 16 rides, carnival games and souvenir shops. Food vendors will offer sausage-on-a-stick and other tourist favorites. And it will house the state's first Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., which Fertitta owns through his Houston-based Landry's."

is that parking lot -in front the beach- under construction?
I think that kind of infraestructure is quite obsolete, I mean, the whole parking lot plot could be use for condos, hotels or something more beautiful and usefull that a boring parking lot!

OTTO; OR, UP WITH DEAD PEOPLE

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 3:44 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsatyr View Post

Oh nice!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 3:47 AM

The Texas Gulf is so underrated. Why hasn't developers taken more interest on the coast like they do in Florida?

Old Posted Jan 9, 2017, 2:41 PM
Hopeful Graduate

After spending 3 years on the coast I'd say it's because the water is not the best quality and the the beaches aren't that attractive when compared to the Florida coast. I feel that the only reason there even is development is because it offers affordable ocean views and living.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2017, 1:31 PM
Ya Dig!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thymant View Post
After spending 3 years on the coast I'd say it's because the water is not the best quality and the the beaches aren't that attractive when compared to the Florida coast. I feel that the only reason there even is development is because it offers affordable ocean views and living.
That's maybe true of Galveston but South Padre Island? Corpus Christi?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 12:12 AM
Hopeful Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post
That's maybe true of Galveston but South Padre Island? Corpus Christi?
Pretty much the same story, my opinion comes from living in Corpus Christi but I've heard that Galveston was worse and SPI is only slightly better, but I don't have any experience from the latter.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 7:25 AM
Meh

Some info on the scale of the new cable-stayed harbor bridge in Corpus Christi. The bridge's draft will be 205 feet, meaning larger ships can pass underneath. The two towers will be 538 feet tall, which will be taller than Corpus Christi's tallest building. It'll also be the tallest bridge in Texas.

Construction has already begun:

http://www.kristv.com/story/34209382...affic-affected

Rendering:

http://www.kristv.com/story/28946043...-harbor-bridge

http://www.chron.com/communityblogs/...ge-4514972.php

http://portofcc.com/wp-content/uploa...dge-8-2016.pdf

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jan 12, 2017, 5:16 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I was sad to see the old bridge go because I loved how they lit it up at night. Then I saw these...

http://www.harborbridgeproject.com

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 4:43 AM

Exxon Mobil Plans Multi-Billion Dollar Plant Near Texas Gulf

Quote:
By AP
April 19th. 2017

PORTLAND, Texas (AP) — Exxon Mobil Corp. and a Saudi partner plan to build a multi-billion dollar petrochemical plant near the Texas coast, Texas' governor said Wednesday.

The project will be a venture involving Exxon and Saudi Arabia Basic Industries Corp. Exxon officials have said it'll be among the largest ethane steam cracker plants in the world, with an opening scheduled for 2024.

The plant will be built in Portland, just north of Corpus Christi, on roughly 1,300 acres (526 hectares). Estimated to cost about $10 billion, the plant will produce components used to make polyester, anti-freeze, plastic bottles and other items.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ar-texas-coast

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations