HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 8, 2006, 10:34 PM

Nice ideas! I see what you mean about Jefferson St. The one way direction may pose a problem.

Since Jefferson is one way heading west, maybe it can run up to Hull St. and turn back east along Columbus St. and thereby run beside the stadium parking lots and right in front of the stadium itself on Tallapoosa St.

I think a line to the Crampton Bowl parking lot would be a definite thing if the plan goes forward.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 4:08 AM
Witty comment fail

found this old picture showing the trolley on Dexter, circa 1906

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 4:34 AM

Wow...that's too cool, dude!

...especially with the capitol building in the background.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2006, 8:23 PM
Witty comment fail

bah.... Montgomery is too big for it's own britches....

Went on a 'scouting' trip for lunch today for the NCAA tournament for next thursday. My buddies and I usually hit Baumhauer's but their TV's are getting old so we figured we'd check out Buffalo Wild Wings in the Festival plaza....

20 + minute drive from work (I work on Coliseum blvd.)... drive into the Festival Plaza and the place is darn near empty... Atlanta Bread Company closed and up for rent.... Several of the new shops with 'for lease' signs...

BWW is a nice place, food was decent, but it's huge, and there were maybe 10 people in there for lunch...

Festival Plaza is only a couple of years old, and in our 'growth' area, and it's already losing out?

These places are going out of business because there is no density to bring stuff together.

/rant

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 5:03 AM

Much of it is due to an old fact: sprawl breeds sprawl.
The competition with developers to attract businesses to their strip malls is very cut-throat here. Each one promises their project will be in the next "high growth area" of the city, then they throw up a 'shiny' new shopping center with less than half of the leases signed--hoping that other businesses will quickly fill it up.

Well, the other developers do the same thing. So you have plenty of new strip malls with empty storefronts. In fact some projects are scaled back or derailed altogether because of developer competition to attract certain stores to their new developments.

Although Aronov won the battle to build four new Publix stores and placed them in four new or redeveloped shopping centers, its Cornerstone development was scaled back from its initial size partly because it lost in competition with ALFA/Jim Wilson to sign Kohl's.

Brown Springs Station was derailed after failing to sign a home improvement store (Home Depot and Lowes will be connected to shopping centers on Chantilly Parkway).

McClinton's East Blvd Center, which was to be connected to Sam's Club, was derailed after a losing battle with ALFA/Jim Wilson for a major anchor (possibly Kohl's?).
I do know that Target initially wanted a store along East Blvd. but couldn't find an undeveloped tract of land large enough...except for the land next to Sam's Club. ALFA/Jim Wilson placed it at Eastchase.

But even with all the new development in midtown, more sprawl is coming:

*500,000 sq/ft strip center in Eastchase
*300,000 sq/ft addition to "The Shoppes" at Eastchase
*a shopping center anchored by Lowes on Chantilly Pwy.
*a shopping center anchored by Home Depot on Chantilly Pwy.
*Chantilly Station, anchored by Walmart

So until more businesses stop buying into the 'shiny and new' mentallity, they're going to help create more empty storefronts by saying "we follow the money". You can't really blame them...they are in business for profit afterall. But fact of the matter is much of that money is coming back to the core, as downtown and midtown are proving.

Last edited by bystander1; Mar 10, 2006 at 5:19 AM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2006, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bystander1
Much of it is due to an old fact: sprawl breeds sprawl.
The competition with developers to attract businesses to their strip malls is very cut-throat here. Each one promises their project will be in the next "high growth area" of the city, then they throw up a 'shiny' new shopping center with less than half of the leases signed--hoping that other businesses will quickly fill it up.

Well, the other developers do the same thing. So you have plenty of new strip malls with empty storefronts. In fact some projects are scaled back or derailed altogether because of developer competition to attract certain stores to their new developments.

Although Aronov won the battle to build four new Publix stores and placed them in four new or redeveloped shopping centers, its Cornerstone development was scaled back from its initial size partly because it lost in competition with ALFA/Jim Wilson to sign Khol's.

Brown Springs Station was derailed after failing to sign a home improvement store (Home Depot and Lowes will be connected to shopping centers on Chantilly Parkway).

McClinton's East Blvd Center, which was to be connected to Sam's Club, was derailed after a losing battle with ALFA/Jim Wilson for a major anchor (possibly Khol's?).
I do know that Target initially wanted a store along East Blvd. but couldn't find an undeveloped tract of land large enough...except for the land next to Sam's Club. ALFA/Jim Wilson placed it at Eastchase.

But even with all the new development in midtown, more sprawl is coming:

*500,000 sq/ft strip center in Eastchase
*300,000 sq/ft addition to "The Shoppes" at Eastchase
*a shopping center anchored by Lowes on Chantilly Pwy.
*a shopping center anchored by Home Depot on Chantilly Pwy.
*Chantilly Station, anchored by Walmart

So until more businesses stop buying into the 'shiny and new' mentallity, they're going to help create more empty storefronts by saying "we follow the money". You can't really blame them...they are in business for profit afterall. But fact of the matter is much of that money is coming back to the core, as downtown and midtown are proving.
This is EXACTLY why I'm all for a tax-incentive, pro-redevelopment of the Commerical Land on South Blvd. and Montgomery Mall.

We have the Land and Buildings down there; let's utilize it!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2006, 10:22 PM
Witty comment fail

article from today's advertiser

Quote:
Residents needed to grow downtown

By Julie Arrington
Montgomery Advertiser

While the economic revitalization of downtown has been a popular concept of late, Anita Archie of the Montgomery Riverfront Development Foundation is looking for ways to draw in residents.

Archie is upbeat about the possibility of boosting the arts in downtown Montgomery with galleries and studios, along with living spaces such as apartments and condominiums.

"The foundation strongly believes that to make downtown Montgomery a 24-hour destination, then we've got to get the residential piece going in downtown," she said.

In a meeting Tuesday with the Cottage Hill Historic Foundation, Archie said developers have told her she'll have to have people living downtown before she can expect retail growth.

She has invited ArtSpace, a nonprofit real estate development firm from Minnesota, to visit Montgomery in April to discuss changing the face of downtown.

During the Cottage Hill meeting, Earl Freeman said while living in Memphis, he noticed that retail growth developed in downtown first.

"I lived downtown in Memphis before people started moving downtown," he said. "Anybody knows that in downtown Memphis today you can't move down there because it's so expensive. ... If you wait until people are (living) downtown, you might be waiting for something that gives you no reason to stay downtown."

Louisville, Ky., a city of about 256,000 people, built the 21C Historic Hotel and Museum to boost its downtown rebirth. It is set to open Wednesday.

Wendy Holmes, vice-president of resource development at ArtSpace, was quoted recently in the Wall Street Journal as saying that the hotel could be very successful as a tourist attraction, but cities that attract permanent residents downtown are more successful for the long term.

Teri Deaver, director of consulting and new projects at ArtSpace, said early support from the community and its leaders is key to a downtown project.

"We're looking at things like potential sites for a project," she said. "We're looking at what the artist market is like. Maybe arts organizations and finding out what they need and what their interest is in this kind of project."

Deaver said ArtSpace has worked in communities of all sizes. She said one of the organization's earliest projects in Duluth, Minn., has been a huge success.

"It was an artist/live/work project and there was also a partnership with the city there, and they run a community center out of there and a number of social service organizations," she said.

Deaver said she views artistic communities as catalysts for economic growth.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 7:30 AM

Without the availability of large, empty buildings to convert into lofts, most of the lofts offered downtown will have to be through new construction.

That gives your project proposal a little more "fire" to get off the ground, thoraudio.

Also, most of the new residences will come from the development of the East Bank, as Gail Alsobrook (former head of Montgomery Riverfront Development Foundation) told me in late 2003, was at least four or five years away.

I saw on the news Saturday the mayor saying that plans for more lofts were going to be annouced soon and that the land across the river from the East Bank and Union Station was going to be converted into what he called a major gateway park; which would be the best use since it's mostly in a flood plain.

Earlier, the city and state were talking about turning the land into a state park but I don't know if that is still part of the plan or not.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2006, 2:01 PM
Witty comment fail

I'm going to try to get to see the Kress building this week. I'll take my camera of course

Problem is, it's so deep, and short, with buildings on either side, that I can't see it working as residential.

The only possible use I could see for it (besides a department type store) would be for a Dave and Buster's type establishment....

and even that'd be iff.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2006, 1:47 AM

Ken Upchurch Construction has recieved a building permit for a $500,000 renovation to a building on Dexter Ave. Do you know which building it is?

Can't wait to see the Kress building pics. I'll bet it's a mess in there though.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2006, 3:13 AM
Witty comment fail

probably the old Montgomery Seed and Supply building. It sold recently, and will need rehabing/refurbing if it's to be used for offices. Beautiful building though.

On another note, good and bad news...

Bad, my 'partner' is convinced we need to go ultra luxury to make the $$ work... I'm concerned about the market.

Good... we may be meeting with somebody from the city next week.

crosses fingers.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2006, 6:18 AM

The bad news may not be so bad. Maybe he knows something we don't.

And oh yeah,

Old Posted Mar 15, 2006, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoraudio
the potential condo mentioned.

Homey isn't it

Actually, there are some windows on the other side facing the ball park, and it looks like the current covering is 'new' stucco... maybe there's something nice underneath. ***edit*** I've been informed that the stucco covers a beautiful concrete slab exterior
Wow, that's ugly.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2006, 6:11 AM

I found this on the planning commission website:

11. Z-10-2006 PRESENTED BY: Kim Henderson

REPRESENTING: Dale Walker

SUBJECT: Request to rezone one (1) parcel of land located on the southwest corner of Bell Street and North Goldthwaite Street from an M-1 (Light Industrial) Zoning District to a B-1-b (Central Business) Zoning District.

REMARKS: This request pertains to one (1) parcel of land. The adjacent property has M-1 (Light Industrial) zoning to the north, east and west. There is B-1-b (Commercial) zoning to the south. The intended use for this property if rezoned is for mixed residential and commercial use. The development will include property to be rezoned and a 150 ft. x 150 ft. parcel to the south for approximately 108 condominiums with approximately 80,000 sq. ft. of commercial space. The Land Use Plan recommends central business use.

COUNCIL DISTRICT: 3

108 condominiums and 80,000 sq ft of commercial space?! This would be in the Cottage Hill area. What do you know, or what can you find out about this project, thoraudio?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2006, 1:56 PM
Witty comment fail

and all I was going to post was the about the new jail....

hadn't heard anything, I'm checking on it.

I don't know how this will affect our plans.... but good for Mtgy anyway.

The area marked 'rezoning' is where they're talking about.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2006, 1:57 PM
Witty comment fail

Not really the kind of expansion you want, but infill is infill....From the Wsfa.com

Quote:
Construction on New Montgomery County Jail To Begin Soon

A typical cell block inside the Montgomery County Detention Facility was designed to hold 16 inmates. Right now, 50 are squeezed inside one. "50 inmates sharing 2 showers and two toilets," says Jail director Colonel Gina Savage.

Savage says overcrowding creates concerns over security. "It becomes a certain security issue for officers who go inside these cells to check on security issues or fights," adds Savage.

The jail was built to hold 305 inmates. In 2004, overcrowding forced the county to take drastic measures. Savage says, "We had inmates all over the floors. We came in and double bunked and that bumped us up to 560 inmates."

The new jail will add 696 beds. Combined with the current facility, the county can house 1,001 inmates. "Basically what we are doing is doubling our space and doubling our staff," adds Savage.

It will take up an entire city block on the east side of the current facility. A bridge will connect the two buildings. "The most up to date electronics, fire alarms, security. Anything that is available we'll put in there," says Savage.

Colonel Savage, who has worked with the Montgomery county detention facility for 20 years, says a new jail is long overdue. She says, "I've seen it all from the old jail in the old courthouse, to this facility when it was brand new. I'm excited to play a part in this new addition."

They will also renovate the current jail. That along with the new facility will cost 58 million dollars. The County Commission says it will get the money for the project by floating a bond issue. Groundbreaking will be sometime in May. Construction will take about two years before the jail opens.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2006, 2:07 PM
Witty comment fail

BTW, Dale Walker is one of the guys developing The Waters...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2006, 11:25 PM

Hmm, 108 condominiums with 80,000 sq. ft. of commercial space on a 150 ft. x 150 ft. parcel...sounds like a highrise to me, right?

If so, it should be a pretty nice project, since Dave Walker has proved that he doesn't mind spending the money for big developments.

Still, I do feel like some big missteps were made with The Waters development though.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 1:25 AM
Witty comment fail

the 150 x 150 is the 'sale pending' area facing Clay.

It sounds like the development will take up 3/4 of the whole block, leaving just those law offices....

but 80,000 sq ft of retail sounds like a lot..... too much... I'm wondering if it might be 8,000 sq ft of retail... much more reasonable.

The front half lot is 500 x 150, + the 150x150 addition.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2006, 2:30 AM

If it really is 80,000 sq. ft. of retail, it may include some type of grocery store. Maybe it includes a couple of floors of retail. I don't know, but hopefully we'll get more info on it soon, just too many unknowns right now.

I hope this project doesn't effect your proposal, thoraudio. Since there are going to be many more proposals being announced this year, the sooner you all can get yours out, the better it will be for filling the leases quickly.

My wife and I are thinking about moving in the next couple of years, and besides looking at traditional neighborhoods we've actually now thought about considering downtown if they actually continue to do all that they say they will do there, and if there were a nice mix of housing available there for the not-so-filty rich. It could be very interesting and fun living there if they are able to follow through fully on the downtown/riverfront development proposal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast